AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Old 2011-09-27, 00:56   Link #8441
Used Can

How can Izumi be forced "down our throats" when it's been obvious she likes Hayate for a while? This much has been hinted even before Athena showed up. The difference is that she's had far less focus and development than the other girls, but it's been clear as day she has a thing for him.
Old 2011-09-27, 01:43   Link #8442
Sol Falling

Yeah, I meant serious dramatic focus being put onto Izumi's crush. Having the occasional taste of Izumi and her crush as a slight detour is something I am perfectly willing to enjoy as part of the manga, and as you say has been an element of the story for ages, so as such that's why I found this chapter just fine.
Sol Falling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-09-29, 09:40   Link #8443
GlassesLady
dat apple

I thought it was a cute chapter. And we got to see a bit of Miki and Risa joking around which is always fun.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
GlassesLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-05, 07:06   Link #8444
HasuMasu
*Artist

Regarding the latest chapter,
I'm really glad the fourth-wall
stuff is back.

I just don't know where this
is going though.
Old 2011-10-05, 12:48   Link #8445
Sol Falling

Cute chapter. Nagi was degenerate as usual, and Maria saves the day. The theme of what one can achieve with one's life really is at the heart of this series. Having only two months and not knowing what you can really do with it--having one life and not knowing what you can really do with it--they are the same. It is the passage of time pressing down on us that pushes us forward.

Ultimately, however, there is the need and desire to search for the path whereby we can truly surpass/overcome the triviality of our existences. The inspiration to really create a massive hit doujin in a matter of 2 months before the next comiket. This meaning, this ability is probably the Power of Kings. It is only those who have grasped hold of that inherent knowledge/ability that have the power to truly move the world.
Old 2011-10-05, 16:33   Link #8446
Mentar
Banned

Someone please wake me in 2 months or so, when something relevant or genuinely funny happens.

Second chapter in a row where I didn't even move the edges of my mouth.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 01:01   Link #8447
AzureWrath

Hina is so silly. She had the perfect setup and she failed the follow-through. I loved the narrator's comment about Hayate's probable response though xD
Old 2011-10-11, 02:04   Link #8448
Sol Falling

lol wow, Hina. This chapter made me realize that self-defeating behaviour is often part of Hayate no Gotoku's humour. Quite a fun chapter, though. Go ahead and read it, Mentar. I dunno if, as a hardcore Hina fan, it lines up exactly with what you want from the story, but I thought it was sweet at least.
Old 2011-10-11, 05:59   Link #8449
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Falling View Post
lol wow, Hina. This chapter made me realize that self-defeating behaviour is often part of Hayate no Gotoku's humour. Quite a fun chapter, though. Go ahead and read it, Mentar. I dunno if, as a hardcore Hina fan, it lines up exactly with what you want from the story, but I thought it was sweet at least.
Well, I certainly enjoyed it ^_^ ... and felt a bit guilty about it at the same time. Why?

Essentially, the chapter was a copy of the Nagi narration. Character shows a stubborn insistence on a flaw (Hikikomoro-ness by Nagi, Reflex-Denial by Hina), and at the end, things still turn out okay. Yet, we know that Nagi won't REALLY stop being a Hikikomori, and Hina won't get more honest about herself. So we've got our chuckle time - and nothing changed. Couldn't we have at least baby steps?

And I feel guilty because I enjoyed the Hina chapter and sighed at the Nagi one. It feels a bit hypocritical, but I guess it's simply because I feel it simpler to forgive Hina's vices. She's at least AWARE of it.

Ah well... let's get through the 2 months. And then see how the main storyline resumes after Chibi-Athena is recharged.
Old 2011-10-11, 06:08   Link #8450
HasuMasu
*Artist

That was nice, the narrator strikes again.
Old 2011-10-11, 07:32   Link #8451
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

cute chapter... I'm glad they finally put Hina in story's focus... yay!

now I'll just wait until A-tan's turn.... xD
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 09:48   Link #8452
Shadow5YA

"Hinagiku-san's wish does not seem as if it will be granted even if she uses the Holy Grail"
Shadow5YA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 13:18   Link #8453
ChronoReverse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow5YA View Post
"Hinagiku-san's wish does not seem as if it will be granted even if she uses the Holy Grail"
Ohoho.

Anyway, this was a pretty sweet chapter. Poor Hina though, her own strengths have overshadowed her to the point where she feels she has to live up to them.

As for the chest massage part, that doesn't really seem like Hayate to me. He's been a bit flanderized by Hina haha (and the narrator is totally not helping by agreeing with her).

Also, Page 8 Hina... daww~
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 14:02   Link #8454
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, I certainly enjoyed it ^_^ ... and felt a bit guilty about it at the same time. Why?

Essentially, the chapter was a copy of the Nagi narration. Character shows a stubborn insistence on a flaw (Hikikomoro-ness by Nagi, Reflex-Denial by Hina), and at the end, things still turn out okay. Yet, we know that Nagi won't REALLY stop being a Hikikomori, and Hina won't get more honest about herself. So we've got our chuckle time - and nothing changed. Couldn't we have at least baby steps?

And I feel guilty because I enjoyed the Hina chapter and sighed at the Nagi one. It feels a bit hypocritical, but I guess it's simply because I feel it simpler to forgive Hina's vices. She's at least AWARE of it.
And yet... At least, Nagi was convinced to stop being a Hikikimori. Sure, she'll backslide next time the author wants to make a gag about her, but this once, she decided to go to school.

Hina never decided to ask Hayate for a massage. All that happened is that her ploys failed, but she got still what she wanted handed to her.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-11, 15:15   Link #8455
Shadow5YA

Two more months until Alice turns back into Athena... that's so far away.

What could possibly happen next if Athena isn't coming back anytime soon?
Old 2011-10-11, 16:01   Link #8456
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
And yet... At least, Nagi was convinced to stop being a Hikikimori.
Now look into a mirror and try to convince yourself that that's true.

Quote:
Sure, she'll backslide next time the author wants to make a gag about her, but this once, she decided to go to school.
And that's all. Nagi wasn't _convinced_ at all. She's impulsive, so you'll get her changing her mind completely within 5 seconds, but she definitely won't stop her Hikikomori ways. Wanna bet? That has nothing to do with "making a gag", this is how Hata consistently writes Nagi. No genuine development at all, just impulsive shots from the hip.

That's why I found the latest arc so frustrating. Can't Hata at least BEGIN some lasting changes? Some lasting developments? Hell, he decided to whack Nagi harshly for her standard weakness. Letting her grow up some and _really_ learn from it would have been more than justified. Instead, we get more "Nagi is a NEET" jokes. Meh.

Quote:
Hina never decided to ask Hayate for a massage. All that happened is that her ploys failed, but she got still what she wanted handed to her.
Yep. No genuine development either. Which is a step back for her in a way - in earlier arcs at least she baby-stepped her way towards eventually confessing (even though he didn't get it).

Anyway, really nothing new going on here. So I hope that we'll get into a proper storyline soon. Unless Hata figures out a way to refresh is palette. I'm not looking forward to the 623th Nagi is a NEET joke. Or the 231st Hina can't be honest around Hayate.
Old 2011-10-11, 16:12   Link #8457
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Now look into a mirror and try to convince yourself that that's true.

I don't have a problem with that. I did add qualifiers, after all.

Quote:
And that's all. Nagi wasn't _convinced_ at all. She's impulsive, so you'll get her changing her mind completely within 5 seconds, but she definitely won't stop her Hikikomori ways. Wanna bet? That has nothing to do with "making a gag", this is how Hata consistently writes Nagi. No genuine development at all, just impulsive shots from the hip.

That's why I found the latest arc so frustrating. Can't Hata at least BEGIN some lasting changes? Some lasting developments? Hell, he decided to whack Nagi harshly for her standard weakness. Letting her grow up some and _really_ learn from it would have been more than justified. Instead, we get more "Nagi is a NEET" jokes. Meh.
As I said, I'm aware it's in no way a permanent change. Though I find it interesting that when she decided "not to waste her life", she decided to go to school, as opposed to playing games or drawing manga. It's not like her terrible study habits have ever been a problem before. She still maintains top scores, and the school's never hassled her over it.

But if you take it in the perspective of "one day at a time", well, that particular day was a win. (Isn't that what they do for alcoholics?)
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-12, 09:02   Link #8458
Used Can

Well, the thing about harem love-comedies like this one is that, ultimately, authors have got no choice but to always go back to status-quo. Too much development can mean characters can stray to much from traits they are identified by fans. This is the same with relationships.

Now, let's look at all the heroines. Nagi has definitely matured a bit. She interacts more with people, goes out of the house a bit more, and she even has a part-time job in order to buy a gift to Hayate. Hina has also changed in terms she can now accept her own feelings, but she still has problems being honest about herself and showing it to others. Maria has devolved almost completely into a gag character. Ayumu is, in my opinion, the girl who has been developed the most. She's seriously different in comparison to how she started. However, no matter what she does, she's still the underdog. Athena got a lot of development in the Greece arc, but once that ended, she basically disappeared and Alice has been a gag so far. Sakuya and Isumi barely show up these days. Izumi has had some development, but not enough and she remains the same. Luca is too new.
Old 2011-10-12, 11:59   Link #8459
Shadow5YA

The thing about a harem is that once a couple is established as canon, it ceases to be a harem. Choosing one means rejecting the rest, which may not go so well with fans of the rejected.
Old 2011-10-15, 13:10   Link #8460
Eleutheria
旅行癖

New chapter. Felt like Hata was just phoning it in.

Tags
comedy, shounen