AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-09, 05:06   Link #4961
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
I could go to France and make a difference then. I do more housework than any of my female classmates/friends.
In all seriousness, that you are able to do all of that is a great quality (maybe not seen as such where you live though, but true in many other places)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko Takeo View Post
I can see how having to work on the job and the house on top of that can make a woman feel depressed in a relationship since there's too many things to do, but not quite how being depressed would cause them to go look for a job. Perhaps split away from the partner and then look for a job. As for the violence aspect, that's another story imho.
Two common answers to that:

- In France, a lot of couples can't live properly with only one salary (yeah, the number of poor people get bigger and bigger, and more and more companies, when they hire people, give little salaries), so the woman has to find a job.

- As I said to you yesterday, some men (I know a friend that have parents in this case) ask if not compel their wife to find a job for more money, but don't help her with the houseworks, and if she refuses, she's seen as useless because the housewives/househusbands have no definite status here in France.

- Because the woman wants to prove something as you said? I guess it's true, but i think it's way less common than the reason (1)
Old 2009-12-09, 05:11   Link #4962
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narona View Post
In all seriousness, that you are able to do all of that is a great quality (maybe not seen as such where you live though, but true in many other places)
I wouldn't be surprised by it tbh. On my first year at uni, I was living in university halls, and there were two guys (uncluding me) and two girls. Nobody on the whole flat was cleaning up after themselves, sometimes leaving their things behind for weeks, and I ended up doing everything. So it's not always the case that women are better than men in terms of housework. It's a social anxiom that was placed in the olden days. Women are stereotypically seen as the better cooks, but I have not seen a single professional female chef to date. They were all men. That's just an example tho.

Quote:
Two common answers to that:

- In France, a lot of couples can't live properly with only one salary (yeah, the number of poor people get bigger and bigger), so the woman has to find a job.

- As I said to you yesterday, some men (I know a friend that have parents in this case) ask if not compel their wife to find a job for more money, but don't help her with the houseworks, and if she refuses, she's seen as useless because the housewives have no definite status here in France.

- Because the woman wants to prove something as you said? I guess it's true, but i think it's way less common than the reason (1)
First reason is pretty true, but either way, the woman is depressed because if she doesn't have a job, there's not enough money to go around and in the second case, sometimes she'll hardly have time for anything else. So it's a double-edged sword, although as you said, it is pretty common.
Old 2009-12-09, 05:23   Link #4963
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
It's a social anxiom that was placed in the olden days. Women are stereotypically seen as the better cooks, but I have not seen a single professional female chef to date. They were all men. That's just an example tho.
I admit I have no study to give about that. So here what I think

- Can be because this job is hard and women are unable to success at it in Cooking school (but personally, I don't believe that women can't do as good as men)

- Can be because this milieu is sectarian. "Could be" imo. A lot of grand-chef are middle aged if not old, and even if for our generation it seems natural to think we're equal between men and women, don't forget that it is pretty recent. Might be that in the past, those high-class jobs were usually for men. Maybe it takes time to change.

- Can be because women are simply not interested since they do the cooking at home, they don't want to do that as a job too

If you have some other possible explanations, plz share XD

Last edited by Narona; 2009-12-09 at 05:24. Reason: forgot the "not" again
Old 2009-12-09, 05:28   Link #4964
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
I admit I have no study to give about that. So here what I think

- Can be because this job is hard and women are unable to success at it in Cooking school (but personally, I don't believe that women can't do as good as men)

- Can be because this milieu is sectarian. "Could be" imo. A lot of grand-chef are middle aged if not old, and even if for our generation it seems natural to think we're equal between men and women, don't forget that it is pretty recent. Might be that in the past, those high-class jobs were usually for men. Maybe it takes time to change.

- Can be because women are simply not interested since they do the cooking at home, they don't want to do that as a job too

If you have some other possible explanations, plz share XD
What I know is that professional cooking is a lot tougher than what people think. Being around the kitchen is tough because for one thing, there's a lot of things to deal with, a lot of multi-tasking, organization (preparing a meal, working with other cooks), and pressure because of all the orders you take, you name it. A lot of pretty serious accidents could happen as well if, for instance, a pan of oil calls somewhere can causes a fire, and you can imagine the heat inside the kitchen because of the boiling water. It's tough on the body as well as the mind. It's not as if women can't cope with it all, or that all men can (I know I wouldn't) but the fact is, there are more male chefs than female ones.
Old 2009-12-09, 05:32   Link #4965
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
What I know is that professional cooking is a lot tougher than what people think. Being around the kitchen is tough because for one thing, there's a lot of things to deal with, a lot of multi-tasking, organization (preparing a meal, working with other cooks), and pressure because of all the orders you take, you name it. A lot of pretty serious accidents could happen as well if, for instance, a pan of oil calls somewhere can causes a fire, and you can imagine the heat inside the kitchen because of the boiling water. It's tough on the body as well as the mind.
Well, I don't know, but there are some Grands-Chefs "Femme" anyway here's one : http://www.aufeminin.com/mag/cuisine/d717/s2821.html the interview: http://www.aufeminin.com/mag/cuisine/d717/x6538.html
Old 2009-12-09, 05:36   Link #4966
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Well, I don't know, but there are some Grands-Chefs "Femme" anyway here's one : http://www.aufeminin.com/mag/cuisine/d717/s2821.html the interview: http://www.aufeminin.com/mag/cuisine/d717/x6538.html
I never doubted there were, I just never saw them myself
Old 2009-12-09, 10:27   Link #4967
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...de/8403923.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...de/8404212.stm

Well that ended rather quickly.
Old 2009-12-09, 16:19   Link #4968
Shadow Kira01

Japan may present U.S. with concrete Futemma relocation plan soon

Quote:
Asked if the issue has negatively influenced the alliance, Hatoyama said, ''They (the United States) may state such an opinion, but that is not a remark made in formal negotiations.'' He added that he has to make a careful decision because it is a matter that concerns people in Okinawa and elsewhere in the country.
Quote:
Japan is studying various options, including the possibility of moving the Futemma facility out of Okinawa or overseas, to reduce the burden on local people of hosting bases, but Washington has pressed Tokyo to stick to the existing plan, saying a lack of progress on relocation could negatively affect the entire road map.
Quote:
The Social Democratic Party, which has effectively threatened to leave Hatoyama's ruling coalition if he adheres to the current plan to relocate the Futemma facility within Okinawa, has proposed moving it to Guam.
Old 2009-12-10, 05:54   Link #4969
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

AOL makes trading debut on NYSE
Quote:
New York (Dec 10): AOL finalised its divorce from Time Warner yesterday, ending one of the most disastrous marriages in corporate history and leaving the Internet pioneer facing an uncertain future.

AOL common stock begins trading on the New York Stock Exchange today, a little more than six months after media and entertainment giant Time Warner decided to cut its losses and spin off the ailing Internet unit.

While the AOL of 2001 was worth as much as US$165 billion, prior to the bursting of the dotcom bubble, the AOL of today is valued at just US$2.8 billion, according to analyst Ross Sandler of RBC Capital Markets Corp.

- AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE

Chicken of the sea? Tuna farming gets a boost
Quote:
Kumano, Japan (Dec 5): Thousands of tuna, their silver bellies bloated with fat, swim frantically around in netted areas of a small bay, stuffing themselves until they grow twice as heavy as in the wild.

Is this sushi's future? Tuna raised like chickens or cows?

As the world's love affair with raw fish depletes wild tuna populations, long-running efforts to breed the deep-sea fish from egg to adulthood may finally be bearing fruit. Though the challenges are daunting, the potential profits are huge.

Whether tuna farming will become viable on a large scale remains an unanswered question. Tuna are much harder to rear than the widely farmed salmon and shrimp. They are large and need room to swim. They spawn only under certain circumstances. In some experiments, fewer than 1 per cent of the babies survive — and those that do eat so much that they could wipe out other fish species.

On the brink
Meanwhile, wild Atlantic bluefin, found in the Atlantic Ocean and the Mediterranean, is disappearing so rapidly that Monaco is pushing to list it as an endangered species at an international meeting in Qatar in March. The United States says it will back the proposal.

Separately, the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas recently slashed the quota for next year's catch by about a third to 13,500 tonnes, a move criticised by environmentalists as not going far enough.

No wonder Japan's biggest seafood company, Maruha Nichiro Holdings, is bullish on tuna. Maruha operates several tuna farms, including the one here in Kumano, a small coastal city in western Japan. Here, in a small bay, the fish live in netted sections mostly 50m by 80m (160 ft by 260 ft), smaller than a football field.

"For years, everyone assumed it was impossible to breed tuna on farms," said Mr Takashi Kusano, a general manager who has worked for 20 years on cultivating tuna. "Tuna remains forever a mystery."

Japanese consume 80 per cent of the world's Atlantic and Pacific bluefin tuna, the two species most sought after by sushi lovers. In Japan, they are called "hon-maguro", or "true tuna".

Trial and error
The survival rate for hatched Pacific bluefin is about 0.4 per cent of the 28 million eggs collected for tests at Maruha's farms. Another effort, at Japan's Kinki University, has achieved a 6 per cent survival rate. Those numbers sound low, but one tuna lays tens of millions of eggs and the survival rates are improving.

"I had to solve the puzzle of why our fish kept dying," Mr Kusano recalled.

Unlike other fish, which can pump oxygen better through their mouths, tuna must swim continuously at up to 80kph (50mph) to absorb oxygen through their gills. Baby fish, which aren't developed enough to brake or steer, often die ramming into the nets that cordon off tuna farms in coastal waters.

In addition, learning about tuna diseases and dietary habits took years of trial and error, and tuna are surprisingly vulnerable to stress, Mr Kusano said.

A handful of tuna that Maruha has produced are set to lay eggs next year, a sign that the full life cycle may be finally completed. Kinki University has already done that, producing 40,000 Pacific bluefin babies this year from eggs laid by tuna on its farms, up from 10,000 last year.

Eat less wild tuna
Still, wild tuna commands a premium over farmed tuna. In January, a 200kg (440-pound) Pacific bluefin tuna fetched a record 20.2 million yen (US$220,000) at a Japanese fish market. In constrast, a 40kg (90-pound) tuna raised at Maruha fetch only about 100,000 yen (US$1,100) each.

Farmed tuna's disadvantage is that "it doesn't have a fish taste, and its color is almost white," said Mr Kazuo Sato, 56, who has run a sushi shop outside of Tokyo for 31 years. But, he added: "We can't be relying just on natural tuna these days, and there are bound to be improvements in farmed tuna."

In Japan, tuna is such a staple that it recently merited an editorial in Yomiuri Shimbun, the country's largest newspaper, urging readers to curb their appetites for the sake of the fish's long-term survival.

That would include eating less "toro", the prized fatty cut. "To keep enjoying 'toro', we must exercise self-control," the newspaper said.

- ASSOCIATED PRESS
Old 2009-12-10, 11:40   Link #4970
Tiberium Wolf

Pregnant woman cut open, but flees

This is really sick... 1 more case :/
Old 2009-12-10, 14:43   Link #4971
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post

I don't know what is more disgusting, the criminal act itself or the way it is slaughtered for money in that show (the niveau is abysmal).
Old 2009-12-10, 15:19   Link #4972
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberium Wolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinto View Post
I don't know what is more disgusting, the criminal act itself or the way it is slaughtered for money in that show (the niveau is abysmal).
I have to go with Jinto here. Is the report displaying the full truth of the case or is it exaggerating the fact? I tend to think it's the latter judging by how the host is making her report so personal, not to mention the media is notorious for doing just that. Perhaps the report is revealing part of the truth, but I don't know if it's not been embellished with other orchestrated details.
Old 2009-12-10, 15:58   Link #4973
Shadow Kira01

Ozawa meets Hu, vows to win majority in upper house poll

Quote:
Ichiro Ozawa, secretary general of the ruling Democratic Party of Japan, met with Chinese President Hu Jintao in Beijing on Thursday and voiced his determination to win the House of Councillors election next summer. ‘‘The fight to liberate our country has not yet finished. We have a final battle next summer,’’ Ozawa said, characterizing himself as the ‘‘chief commander’’ in his party’s fight to win a majority in the upper chamber.

Ozawa is on a two-day visit to Beijing through Friday accompanied by more than 600 people, including around 140 DPJ lawmakers and about 400 DPJ supporters. The trip is part of regular exchanges between the DPJ and the Chinese Communist Party, whose general secretary is Hu.

‘‘We are preparing for the battle in July, recruiting soldiers, training them and aiming for victory,’’ Ozawa was quoted as telling Hu by a DPJ lawmaker.

‘‘I would like to do my best as the chief commander up until the end of ‘the liberation war’,’’ Ozawa said. ‘‘By winning a majority in the House of Councillors, we (the DPJ) can build the ground to hold frank, candid and bold discussions with China and deepen bilateral relations.’‘

During the 30-minute meeting, Ozawa and Hu agreed to boost relations between the DPJ and the Chinese Communist Party and to further promote friendly bilateral ties through exchanges of lawmakers.

Ozawa said the talks ‘‘will lead to the development of a friendly relationship between the two countries,’’ while Hu described Ozawa as an old friend of China who has contributed a lot to bilateral ties.

Hu told Ozawa that his three meetings with Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama since the launch of the DPJ-led government in September have helped upgrade the two nations’ strategic and mutually beneficial relations, according to DPJ lawmaker Goshi Hosono.
Sea Shepherd may lose ship registry under envisaged Dutch law

Quote:
The Dutch government plans to submit a bill to the parliament next week to revise a law on ship registration to revoke the registry of protest ships engaged in "inappropriate activity," in response to a Japanese government request to help prevent violent antiwhaling demonstrations.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-12-10 at 20:38.
Old 2009-12-11, 00:35   Link #4974
WordShaker
In scientific terms only.

Send a message via MSN to WordShaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Kira01 View Post
Ouch. While I may not agree with the methods used by the Sea Shepherds, I can sympathize with their aims. I'd feel somewhat sad if their registration was revoked. Registration or not, though, I'm sure they'll head out next season, albeit illegally. Trouble brews ahead.
Old 2009-12-11, 01:47   Link #4975
mg1942

Bush closes the gap

Perhaps the greatest measure of Obama's declining support is that just 50% of voters now say they prefer having him as President to George W. Bush, with 44% saying they'd rather have his predecessor. Given the horrendous approval ratings Bush showed during his final term that's somewhat of a surprise and an indication that voters are increasingly placing the blame on Obama for the country's difficulties instead of giving him space because of the tough situation he inherited. The closeness in the Obama/Bush numbers also has implications for the 2010 elections. Using the Bush card may not be particularly effective for Democrats anymore, which is good news generally for Republicans and especially ones like Rob Portman who are running for office and have close ties to the former President.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...s_the_gap.html
http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot....-standing.html

Last edited by mg1942; 2009-12-11 at 01:57.
Old 2009-12-11, 08:53   Link #4976
Tiberium Wolf

Hey... anyone seen the 5min video in CNN website about the drug tunnel? I just saw it today and seriously those dudes that made it should be rewarded for their hard work.

Indonesia unveils a statue of Obama as a schoolboy

Anyway found this interesting too... statue so soon... lol.
Old 2009-12-11, 12:30   Link #4977
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg1942 View Post
Bush closes the gap

Perhaps the greatest measure of Obama's declining support is that just 50% of voters now say they prefer having him as President to George W. Bush, with 44% saying they'd rather have his predecessor. Given the horrendous approval ratings Bush showed during his final term that's somewhat of a surprise and an indication that voters are increasingly placing the blame on Obama for the country's difficulties instead of giving him space because of the tough situation he inherited. The closeness in the Obama/Bush numbers also has implications for the 2010 elections. Using the Bush card may not be particularly effective for Democrats anymore, which is good news generally for Republicans and especially ones like Rob Portman who are running for office and have close ties to the former President.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/bensmi...s_the_gap.html
http://publicpolicypolling.blogspot....-standing.html
It also shows what a horrendously short memory Americans have and the extent of their lack of understanding about the processes that drive their world. Whether you like Obama or not, preferring his predecessor's record or thinking the present administration caused the problems pretty much implodes credibility.
Old 2009-12-11, 12:35   Link #4978
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
It also shows what a horrendously short memory Americans have and the extent of their lack of understanding about the processes that drive their world. Whether you like Obama or not, preferring his predecessor's record or thinking the present administration caused the problems pretty much implodes credibility.
I for one blame the media for that. It's hard to understand the world when you're being constantly fed a distorted version of events that comes from people on TV repeating the same talking points over and over. Repeat something often enough and people start to believe it, no matter how outrageous it is...
Old 2009-12-11, 14:00   Link #4979
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
I for one blame the media for that. It's hard to understand the world when you're being constantly fed a distorted version of events that comes from people on TV repeating the same talking points over and over. Repeat something often enough and people start to believe it, no matter how outrageous it is...
Which applies for many americans. But there are also many people like Vexx who are not that easily "programmed" (unfortunately not enough of them it seems).
Old 2009-12-11, 14:19   Link #4980
ChainLegacy
廉頗

I don't think it is a very reasonable excuse for adults who should be able to critically think for themselves.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international