AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2012-01-17, 20:43   Link #1
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The Old Blinking Subtitles on MKV

Howdy, sorry if this has already been asked, but...

When I play certain .mkv files with subtitles, they'll blink on and off constantly on my screen. I understand that this happens when there is too much happening on the video at one time, but I've heard there's a relatively simple fix for something like this.

I'm using Media Player Classic with the CCCP codec pack with Haali Media Splitter. CCCP has a link to a fix on their Wikipedia, but unfortunately that link seems to be dead.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:00   Link #2
cyberbeing

Try xy-VSFilter. Replace the VSFilter.dll in your CCCP Filters directory, run Re-Register Filters on the second page of the CCCP settings application, and you should be good to go.

In recent years, blinking subtitles is usually the result of your CPU being too slow while having pre-buffering enabled in VSFilter 2.40. When pre-buffering is enabled, VSFilter 2.40 will blink instead of de-sync when your CPU is too slow. The issue mentioned on CCCP wiki is about a bug in circa 2005 mkvtoolnix with VFR files. I doubt this is the issue you are having.
Old 2012-01-17, 21:20   Link #3
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Thanks for the suggestion- I replaced the VSFilter.dll file and checked the Re-Register Filters on the CCCP settings application, but the subs still blink. Am I required to restart my computer before the changes take place?

I do take caution to allow my laptop to focus its CPU on one thing at a time, so I believe the problem might be somewhere else in my settings. Maybe the render settings or somewhere else in the options?
Old 2012-01-17, 21:24   Link #4
cyberbeing

Odd, trying doing both re-register filters and reset settings and click apply. Make sure Playback -> Auto-load Subtitles is unchecked in MPC-HC settings. It could be that the MPC-HC internal subtitles renderer is being used instead of VSFilter.

If these are old files, maybe you really do have that other issue. The working link for that topic is here: http://www.anime-legion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1309
Old 2012-01-17, 21:34   Link #5
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Oh boy, it WAS using the internal renderer. I unchecked the auto-load subtitles, reset the settings and it no longer blinks.

You've been a great help, I thank you.

Last edited by Hiroi Sekai; 2012-01-18 at 04:56.
Hiroi Sekai is offline   Reply With Quote