AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Fullmetal Alchemist

Notices

View Poll Results: Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 36 Rating
Perfect 10 17 35.42%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 20 41.67%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 9 18.75%
7 out of 10 : Good 2 4.17%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-12, 22:35   Link #1
White Manju Bun
Anxious bookseller
*Author

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - Episode 36 Discussion/Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, Episode 36.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2009-12-13, 00:39   Link #2
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

I just hope the background music will match the scenes. Gonna see Hohenheim after a long time.
Old 2009-12-13, 09:08   Link #3
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Just saw it and it's a very faithful (if concise) adaptation of chapters 68 and 69, and the last couple pages of 67. It even "ends" on 69's "cliffhanger" (there's more after the ED). Only complaint I see coming is that the Hohenheim portion of 68 only gets about 5:30 of that time. I think it was for the best, though, as it could have dragged a bit if given more time.

Especially liked the music during Olivier's..."construction supervision" scene... ^_^

Noticed the music a lot in this episode. Can't tell if there are some new pieces (Oliver's aforementioned "theme", the music while Hohenheim was in his study) or if I've just been so numbed by the overuse of the same 4 or 5 themes and misuse of the rest that I'm just reacting oddly to a well-scored ep...
Old 2009-12-13, 12:28   Link #4
Haladflire65
*Artist

Yeah, I don't think I've heard that piece that played when Olivier killed Raven. I liked it a lot, but I still can't get over some of the songs that have been playing since episode one that are still being repeated...

On another note, great episode. Olivier was awesome, Kimblee's starting to act again, and the last Homunculus makes his appearence... It was also nice to see Roy again after a few weeks of absence, even though he's just buying flowers
Old 2009-12-13, 13:45   Link #5
velocd
Witcher, with tenure

Great episode. Raven's end was perfect.
Old 2009-12-13, 15:04   Link #6
xellos2099

Wish they used Oliver's impression when she kill Raven in manga.
Old 2009-12-13, 19:23   Link #7
K_Babyy
Fullmetal Heart

Why, hello there, Pride! ;]

This was great, there were a few minor things missing, but nothing big enough for me to complain about and feel disappointed when the ep was over. I enjoyed it.

And oh, Winry, how I missed you! Can't wait til next week, it's one of my absolute favorite EdWin scenes!
Old 2009-12-13, 23:23   Link #8
Vlyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazzy Angel View Post
I just hope the background music will match the scenes. Gonna see Hohenheim after a long time.
I think they worked, despite no new tracks being played. The tunnel scene music disappointed me at first, but it was okay after watching that part a second time. The track played when Olivier killed Raven is definitely a favorite of mine.
Old 2009-12-14, 00:04   Link #9
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlyse View Post
I think they worked, despite no new tracks being played. The tunnel scene music disappointed me at first, but it was okay after watching that part a second time. The track played when Olivier killed Raven is definitely a favorite of mine.
It was a good track but I don't think the song should've continued even after Olivier killing Raven. Also the way she did it looked more vicious in the manga, without even letting him take out his gun. Not only that, but they didn't include one of Olivier's soliders' line, which was important to the scene: "Your immortality requires you to abandon your allies and betray your countrymen."

But oh well. It was still a good scene I guess.

As for the Hohenheim scene, I didn't really think it was a good idea to try and make all of it fit before the OP, but it was still well done and emotional like in the manga.

And of course the episode had great animation, since it was done by the same director that did episode 25 and couple other great ones.

Episode actually covered 2 chapter, but only skipped a few lines here and there, so it was alright.

Next one should be great, especially the reactions to it.
Old 2009-12-14, 00:21   Link #10
Vlyse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
It was a good track but I don't think the song should've continued even after Olivier killing Raven. Also the way she did it looked more vicious in the manga, without even letting him take out his gun. Not only that, but they didn't include one of Olivier's soliders' line, which was important to the scene: "Your immortality requires you to abandon your allies and betray your countrymen."
I agree. It felt really weird having the song continue into Miles's and Kimblee's conversation.

As for Raven's gun, he took it out in the manga, too.

They left in Armstrong's line of "You used to be a model soldier who truly cared about his country...but that was a long time ago." Which is similar, and therefore works, imo.
Old 2009-12-14, 08:08   Link #11
Ehnra
Exceptions

Episode kept on going, but sure as hell not as i expected it to. Seeing Raven die was a bit of a shock, not that it really matters. Next episode is sure to bring some nice scenes.
Also with Winry there, it gives the elric brothers less window for action :S
Old 2009-12-14, 08:59   Link #12
Krazzy Angel
despair v/s hope

The first scene was welldone and I like it. The more important is that it conveyed the same emotion.
Old 2009-12-14, 09:18   Link #13
kitten320

I liked the episode^^

Especially loved Olivier's moment of owning! Yep, she definetly doesn't need Alchemy to kick someone's ass^^
Old 2009-12-14, 09:54   Link #14
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haladflire65 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I've heard that piece that played when Olivier killed Raven.
I have. Been used at least twice before.

The Hohenheim flashback is my favorite scene from the manga, and it was handled pretty well here, and the pacing wasn't half bad. Shame the music placement wasn't that good, though the tears couldn't stop from start until finish, so the job was done.

Next weeks episode is gonna be great.
Old 2009-12-14, 10:33   Link #15
fizzmaister
The Tall One

I'm trying to say this in a non-spoilerish manner. I've read the manga, so I know in a broad sense what Hoenheim was doing when he was saying the names and stuck his hands in his chest. But what is he doing specifically. I don't remember that scene from the manga. If it was from some other part of the manga, feel free to send me a PM if it's too spoilerish.

Thanks.
Old 2009-12-14, 11:17   Link #16
GaimeGuy

PM sent to clear things up for you, fizz.
Old 2009-12-14, 11:43   Link #17
fizzmaister
The Tall One

@GaimeGuy: Let me channel the spirit of Keanu Reeves when I say, "Woaaaaah!"

That is incredibly important and it makes sense in hindsight. Thanks.'

@everyone else: I said this publicly just to mess with you. I said the last sentence to mess with you even more. ...
Old 2009-12-14, 13:39   Link #18
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

1. WINRY!!!!
2. Good pacing
3. Olivier scene was done well

I loved Ed's reaction to seeing Winry.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
Old 2009-12-14, 16:03   Link #19
Statonxyb
hrm

Loved the episode. :>

Now it's time for some PRIDEEEEEE
Old 2009-12-14, 17:18   Link #20
Squarecrow
Supreme Ruler of Crowatia

Great episode. Sitting in a library while watching it, I had to hold back the urge to scream "HELL YEAH" when Olivier kicked Raven's ass.

And I enjoyed the beginning bit with Hohenheim as well. I haven't read the manga but I watched the first anime and there wasn't enough of his background shown but that intro clip brings more depth to his character.
Closed Thread