Notices

Old 2011-05-06, 21:24   Link #501
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
Wait, this sounds like-

I KNEW IT, THE ONE BEHIND ALL THIS IS THAT WHITE FURRY CREATURE AGAIN.
Curse you, Nyanko-sensei!
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 21:47   Link #502
lordshadowisle

Given the massive costs of losing, it does make sense for some sort of Guild to be formed for those who just don't want to go bankrupt. Everyone in the Guild just plays for a draw, or a close outcome with very slim margins. It's easier if more people are in the Guild; if two Guild members match up they can just chill for 666.

If it were me though, I'll only join the Guild after I have made massive killings, to preserve my earnings

Mikuni must be massively overpowered though to be able to pull a narrow victory even against strong opponents.
lordshadowisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 21:48   Link #503
mysterious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hey now, Nyanko-sensei may be a bit ill-tempered, a heavy drunkyard, a little obnoxious at times, childish and irresponsible most of the time. But he isnt that bad

I like this anime so far and Q berserk mode. I mean she is normal when they had a date in the first episode right? so does her eyes only glow in the battle because Mikuni is in danger? The scene where they show flashes of the children kinda touch my heart there.
mysterious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 22:32   Link #504
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eater of All View Post
I wonder if "future" for the entrepreneurs is defined as "what they earn money for". It makes sense that for people who are selfish, they would spend the most money for themselves, and hence when they go bankrupt they are ordained to commit suicide and lose their life (ouch, free will down the sink). In the teacher's case, since he makes money for his children, it makes sense that his children will be the objects taken as collateral for his defeat in the financial district. "Future" can therefore vary for each individual, but it is still the most valuable asset that anyone can have.
To tell the truth, I am following a certain group that has a tendancy towards trolling, and it's not the type of show where I will pay too much attention to what is said, compared to what I can read. So I am not sure if 'future' is accurate and appropriate
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-06, 22:57   Link #505
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Quote:
Come on now no need to pick on sensei . He's not that bad .

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordshadowisle View Post
Given the massive costs of losing, it does make sense for some sort of Guild to be formed for those who just don't want to go bankrupt. Everyone in the Guild just plays for a draw, or a close outcome with very slim margins. It's easier if more people are in the Guild; if two Guild members match up they can just chill for 666.

If it were me though, I'll only join the Guild after I have made massive killings, to preserve my earnings

Mikuni must be massively overpowered though to be able to pull a narrow victory even against strong opponents.
Yeah just have to be careful not to wait too long to join. Could run into a bad opponent and lose everything. Though still agree it would be a good strategy to make a big profit early then join up to coast. Although that kind of thinking would depend on causing those severe losses to others. Suppose if you won a lot but didn't bankrupt them it wouldn't feel as bad though they would probably be in serious danger in their next match with less funds to work with.
Old 2011-05-06, 23:44   Link #506
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

Spoiler for ep4:
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 01:34   Link #507
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

I believe this was really the beginning of the series in the sense that it was the first episode where Kimimaro finally found his resolve regarding how to play the game and live his life. As I've introduced with my previous posts, the tarot symbols appeared in the episode once more. I've elaborated on the symbolism once more here, and I don't think I still have to prove myself regarding the prevalence of tarot symbolism in this series. It's really there, and it's there because it's apt, although it's not really that important to the story.

The episode was utterly brilliant. The ED gains meaning with Kimimaro's declaration, and the series's title gains more gravitas. It's not just an RPG - it's a battle for people's lives, and the consequences are grave. The tarot symbols reflect that.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 01:39   Link #508
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
To tell the truth, I am following a certain group that has a tendancy towards trolling, and it's not the type of show where I will pay too much attention to what is said, compared to what I can read. So I am not sure if 'future' is accurate and appropriate
Hey, me too . However, I'm pretty sure that at least the term "future" is being expressed as intended, judging from the flow of the characters' conversation. It's one of the aspects that the show itself is still exploring, so it's natural that it's still somewhat vague and ambiguous for now.

Here's some more speculation about that: perhaps the Financial District has the ability to gauge exactly how much money a person would spend on his/her "future", and then proceed to give said amount to an entrepreneur as advanced payment so that he/she gets the opportunity to earn even more for that "future". Say, for instance, that teacher dude is judged to spend $100,000 in his "future" raising one child. The FD gives him $100,000 along with the opportunity to win more, so that he can support a second or even a third child. But if he bankrupts that $100,000, his "future" of raising children is completely taken away from him.
Old 2011-05-07, 03:26   Link #509
Hiro Hayase

Hahahaha whenever I look at Msyu, I get a sudden urge to eat Candy Canes.

P.S. I am under the impression that C had 24 episodes planned. Furthermore, 11 episodes is far too little development for an anime like C which has numerous tarot symbolism's and information on economics. The teacher had the moon tarot card, the same type as the spy Saori.
Hiro Hayase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 03:39   Link #510
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomknight View Post
Spoiler:

Spoiler for Ep4:
Yeah, you can't sell the tenth stock. (Unless maybe you have more assets? I don't remember.)

But if you go bankrupt, your asset's inherited by the one with the most stock in it. The rules were posted a while back in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Now that was an incredibly interesting episode. Masakaki wasn't kidding when he said he used the entre's futures as collateral. This is a hellish system, they're forcing people to either destroy someone else's life or be destroyed instead every single week. Thankfully, there is a loophole in this system, as Mikuni has shown.
Well, nobody's forcing them to join the FD in the first place. Just tempting them.

Quote:
This continues to be very interesting but not all that emotionally involving for me. Though, the Sensei's story was more dramatic than anything so far, in a pleasantly understated way - now we know what that "future as collateral" thing really means, and why this is such high-stakes gambling. Mikuni and Masakaki seem quite chummy, but I'd think his plans are directly in conflict with the interests of those running the F.D. - I'd bet the real profit for them comes when they collect on those futures.
I'm reminded of Shakugan no Shana, and all this talk about distortion of the world. I think that's Masakaki's goal: to distort the enough to... uh... create a passage and invade? Or maybe some kind of hostile takeover of reality.

As for Mikuni's opposition: Masakaki may be taking the long view that Mikuni's going to fall sooner or later, and when he does, it's going to be huge. The FD's been around for a long time - he knows how to be patient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
The house also didn't have much furniture so he lost more than the just the 3 kids. He was prob lucky that he had the house before he met Masakaki.

So then MC was prob safe when his dad lost in the game.
Like hell. The teacher's eldest looked like he was in primary school. But he'd only been an Entrepreneur for 18 months or so.

You lose a lot more than just what you gained from entering the District.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2011-05-07 at 05:36.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 05:21   Link #511
Jellyfish Marine
ShizuxKino~*

Friday morning is a very busy morning for me with both [C] and Hyougemono

So far I find this anime pretty interesting although I think that the rules of battle should have been explained earlier. I know that it's been slowly explained since EP 2 but I think I still need to understand more in order to appreciate the fighting.

One thing I've noticed is that many people don't know that Jennifer is working for IMF (check the official website, character profile) and try to make speculations on the 'mysterious organization that looks so evil'. She's also a half-Japanese. If you assume that she grew up in Japan and acquired English as a second language then it kinda make sense that she speaks with Japanese accent. Many Japanese business men speak like her, grammatically perfect but with accent.

Kino ~Kino no Tabi
Original Illust: Yomo (http://yea.jp/taimando/)
Jellyfish Marine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 06:42   Link #512
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Did anyone notice the Qabalah references in the show, not merely with Mikuni's purchase of Msyu's stock, but also during the third episode? The tarot and the Qabalah are also closely connected together. As always, pictures can be found here.

With this attention to detail I'm really not worrying much about the show. The people behind this are pretty passionate.
physics223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 10:30   Link #513
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post

Like hell. The teacher's eldest looked like he was in primary school. But he'd only been an Entrepreneur for 18 months or so.

You lose a lot more than just what you gained from entering the District.
Maybe the kid had a potentially terminal condition and was cured with the aid of the Midas money. No money= dead kid. The way the wife responded was pretty strange. Dead kid and wife reaction could mean that she's trying to forget kid #1.
Old 2011-05-07, 11:53   Link #514
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I think the teacher'd have mentioned it, if his wife had gone outright crazy...
Old 2011-05-07, 15:01   Link #515
orion

Quote:
I think the teacher'd have mentioned it, if his wife had gone outright crazy...
Not really. Mentioning it could mean that his colleagues would ostracize him if found out. ymmv with this opinion.
Old 2011-05-07, 15:27   Link #516
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not really. Mentioning it could mean that his colleagues would ostracize him if found out. ymmv with this opinion.
I didn't mean to the public at large. I meant to the guy he'd specifically called out to see the results of bankruptcy in the Financial District.

(Plus, I really don't see any reason to believe any of her kids weren't retconned. It'd be a bit too easy if all you lost was what you'd gained by means of the FD - when you take out a loan to play the stockmarket and crash and burn, you lose more than the nice TV you bought when things went well. You lose, well, your collateral. Which you had before borrowing anything.)

And hey, if the kid had lived half a dozen years before getting some disease that was easily treatable with money, I think he'd be remembered by more than his dad and Kimimaro.
Old 2011-05-07, 15:58   Link #517
orion

Quote:
And hey, if the kid had lived half a dozen years before getting some disease that was easily treatable with money, I think he'd be remembered by more than his dad and Kimimaro.
They did like what happened in Madoka, an existence wipe out. The card holders are special and became exempt to serve as a reminder of what can happen to them if they lose.
Old 2011-05-07, 16:21   Link #518
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Exactly. My point is, the whole kid was retconned, despite having been born before his dad entered the District. It's not that he was ill and cured thanks to Midas Money, only to have that cure retconned.

And the wife isn't amnesiac, or in denial. To her, she's really never been pregnant.
Old 2011-05-07, 19:09   Link #519
Deconstructor
Crossdressing Menmatic

Spoiler for Rules of the Financial District:

Quote:
As for Mikuni's opposition: Masakaki may be taking the long view that Mikuni's going to fall sooner or later, and when he does, it's going to be huge. The FD's been around for a long time - he knows how to be patient.
Masakaki seems to be a neutral arbitrator executing the rules of the Financial District, in similar fashion to a white, floppy-eared incubator from another show. In addition, Masakaki seems to be working underneath someone else who may have plans. But I don't think Masakaki has any schemes of his own devising. He's just there to serve as the middle man.
Deconstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-07, 20:58   Link #520
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow that a high price to pay for going bankrupt

Tags
action, finance, noitamina