AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

View Poll Results: Madoka Magica - Episode 01 Rating
Perfect 10 20 27.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 21 28.77%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 19 26.03%
7 out of 10 : Good 8 10.96%
6 out of 10 : Average 2 2.74%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.37%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 2.74%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2011-03-24, 04:54   Link #21
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
I gave this episode a 10/10 because it was a refreshing departure from what I usually watch.
Trust me, it's only the beginning of such departure.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 12:55   Link #22
Liddo-kun
is this so?

An interesting start, some character introductions and action.
The background music adds a nice feel to the scenes. I liked it, espescially when they're on their way to school.

Sudden weirdness at the last parts, I thought those cotton like things are going to chew them to death or something.

Going to watch the rest of the episodes.
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-24, 23:19   Link #23
delirium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Trust me, it's only the beginning of such departure.
And it's always nice to be surprised once in awhile!
delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-05-04, 20:15   Link #24
kaigan
Segmentation fault

i've discovered a minor correction in bd release, might as well add here since i don't see it in wiki and other blogs yet.

left (tv), right(bd): this happens after mami's transformation. QB is supposedly nestled in madoka's arms. changes in the background too. =)

kaigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 14:34   Link #25
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Oh man, here we go, I'm finally undertaking the hit show of the year.

First episode was a pretty good intro to the cast. Madoka is like many magical girl leads past. Like an Usagi, Nanoha or Sakura she's kind of aloof, not really the best at anything, but has a funny likeable personality that seems to draw people to her in spite of all this.

Akemi is much like a Mamoru, Lee or Fate, coming off in her first appearance as cold and mysterious to the point where you aren't really sure who's side she's on. Like those characters she's seemingly good at everything she tries to do and has a habit of popping up at seemingly random times though clearly with some less than obvious goal in mind. Like those characters as well I kind of expect from the hints dropped in the first episode that she actually has a heart of gold and/or some destiny intertwined with the heroine (possible love interest?), but is trying to work alone because of personality issues or some other such complication that the heroine will have to resolve.

The other two girls seem like the typical faithful magical girl allies ala the Sailor Soldiers, but are of course close friends to Madoka in real life. Also I have noted that Madoka hasn't actually done anything combat wise....at all. I've kind of had it spoiled for me that that's supposed to be a trend for much of the series.

Overall a pretty basic Magical Girl opener (even though I'm told to anticipate it striking out on it's own path pretty soon) with the requisite character intros, but fairly enjoyable nonetheless. Though most magical girl shows that I've seen don't actually introduce what appears to be the full cast so early. Shinbo definitely couldn't resist being Shinbo in this one either, what with the architecture of the dream sequence and the fact that the city itself seems to be Shinbo inspired in it's architecture. Also he seems to have sent some of his wild crazy visions to menace the girls at the end of the episode. Is that what the antagonists are supposed to be....cause if so I can safely say I've never seen anything like that before.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-06, 21:31   Link #26
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Hey, you watched it. Hell, it's about time.

And yea, I'm not sure what the hell they were on when they made the last part of the episode.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-07, 13:55   Link #27
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

I always enjoy when late comers take the time to post their impressions. It does offer a refreshing POV of when a show no longer has all its 'NEW SHOW' glimmer and is only appreciated by what the series itself has to offer.

It's a shame though that you've been spoiled, but apparently it's nothing serious. Be sure to keep posting your impressions. I at least will be sure to read them.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-12, 05:32   Link #28
Dawnstorm

Heh, I'm re-watching the show now, and two things happen:

1. I remembered why I loved the show from the beginning: Shinbo's animation and Kajiura's soundtrack. A match made in the twighlight zone. Seriously, from the weird dream sequence to the stylistically too epic morning scene, and then the too serene idyll... I didn't trust it then, but it's downright mean on the second time round.

2. I notice lots of details that didn't stand out the first time round, like Madoka's mom asking after her teacher. Oh, how intricate a web they were weaving from the beginning. Also, it's much easier to navigate through the show by the teme-music alone.

The show gets better on re-watching. I was sort of afraid that the magic would get lost, but it's actually more intense now. I heartily recommend a second viewing. (But maybe I'm late anyway, and whoever's still here is on the 251st viewing. )
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-07-15, 16:06   Link #29
Alcindor

Location: The darkest place on earth underneath a girl 's skirt
1st part of this episode was meh den it went straight 2 wtf
Alcindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 02:52   Link #30
~BC~

Late to this party...but I finally got around to checking this out (since people are very fond of referencing this anime when reviewing some of the more recent shows).

Nothing spectacular this first episode but I find the way they use color and imagery interesting. All of the mundane scenes seem too bright and cheerful when compared to all the odd magical stuff going on in the background. It's intentionally deceptive. So when Madoka receives that warning from Homura I feel like it should be taken seriously.

I'm guessing the magical creature can't be good with the way they have it asking Madoka to make a contract at the very end; also leaves me thinking the title for next episode is meant to be ironic.
~BC~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-01-15, 03:52   Link #31
Dark Wing

Man I love it when new people show up here...well welcome aboard BC and I hope you enjoy the show!
Old 2012-01-15, 04:04   Link #32
Xenio
Flower

though nowaday it hard to get into the series knowing nothing since some plot twist have become as common knowledge to anime fan as "i'm your farther" from star war
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-05-25, 18:47   Link #33
Akito Kinomoto
Sekiroad-Idols Sing Twice

Send a message via AIM to Akito Kinomoto
I'm rewatching this show since my first run in 2012, and I was worried my inexperience was helping me enjoy it at the time.

Good thing I was wrong.
GANBARIMASU
Akito Kinomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-12-02, 06:08   Link #34
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Nice, the thread has suddenly revived. Can't mention much because it will be a spoiler for you though.

And, yeah.. I agree Mami is cool with her guns at ep. 1. ^^
Liddo-kun is offline   Reply With Quote