AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2003-11-18, 03:28   Link #1
disguested
Inactive Member

"New" Low - Hacking

heh, you may or may not have heard of suteki-yume's interesting demise yet, but nevertheless the conversation in the main channel made me a bit disgusted. Basically the operators were commenting on how they used hacked bots for distros.

Has it come to this? Forget subbing licensed anime, hacking distros with pride, "stealing" a groups title out of malice, and even attack bots in idiotic irc wars of what I thought were long gone?

Now this raises the real question, if this is true, how many groups do this knowledgeably? Has this really become standard practice, have ethics become forgotten?

Whatever, you read the log and decide, I'm too tired and disgusted to think straight.

Here's the link, it's an uncut log (if you want the whole session I can post it, but someone needs to host it).

link: http://www.geocities.com/animeethics...some.drama.log

it's geocities, so if someone could host this in case it goes down it'd be appreciated

Crossposted on Anime News Network
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...pic.php?t=4330
disguested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 03:38   Link #2
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
Hacking others distros... 33vil...
Good thing I distro from my own comp with no FTP...
And no other way to get to my files than I sending them...
Hope not many groups use that hacking method thingy...
GET YA OWN DISTROZ! YA FRIGGIN THIEFS!
or something...
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 05:22   Link #3
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by disguested
Has it come to this? Forget subbing licensed anime, hacking distros with pride, "stealing" a groups title out of malice, and even attack bots in idiotic irc wars of what I thought were long gone?

Now this raises the real question, if this is true, how many groups do this knowledgeably? Has this really become standard practice, have ethics become forgotten?
Hate to break this to you, but this is just another example in the history of fansubbing joining the warez scene. Groups do this knowledgably. This is sorta an old thing, and ethics are non existant. As for hacked distros, unfortunatly its becoming the case now of "who doesnt have a suspicious distro." There are lots of weird looking bots floating around.

Last edited by bayoab; 2003-11-18 at 05:37.
bayoab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 05:22   Link #4
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaMz
Hacking others distros... 33vil...
Good thing I distro from my own comp with no FTP...
And no other way to get to my files than I sending them...
Hope not many groups use that hacking method thingy...
GET YA OWN DISTROZ! YA FRIGGIN THIEFS!
or something...
I know some groups do use hacked distros, and I have some guesses as to who uses them, but I'm not going to point fingers. My first experience with hacked "distro" was when some french fansub group used a compromise on my friend's computer to use her computer as a raw/distro dump.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 06:12   Link #5
Enragin_Angel
ナマケモノ

Yet another reason to give the fansubbing scene a bad name.
Enragin_Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 07:32   Link #6
Tenkoy
That is a secret.

Send a message via AIM to Tenkoy Send a message via MSN to Tenkoy Send a message via Yahoo to Tenkoy
You're surprised by this?

Did you really think that everyone was just going to get along and play nice? Of course there will always be people who do things such as this. Then again, people who do these kinds of things get theirs in the end.

Last edited by Tenkoy; 2003-11-18 at 07:46.
Tenkoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 10:06   Link #7
NenMaster

95% of all XDCC bots in the chans are hacked, borrowed or not they are hacked.
NenMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 13:23   Link #8
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenMaster
95% of all XDCC bots in the chans are hacked, borrowed or not they are hacked.
The problem here is the distinction between everything. On the illegal side: "Hijacked" being that the person took over a computer that he has access to somewhere. "Hacked" being they installed a rootkit by rooting it. On the legal side: "Legal" being that the person knowingly installed iroffer on their own personal computer.

The distinction between hijacked and legal is sometimes a very hard distinction.
Old 2003-11-18, 13:26   Link #9
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
I'm sure they also pay for all that bandwith they use. I think not. Most likely it's stolen from university, but if they didn't have all this stolen bandwith then it would take us years to get stuff. The whole fansub scene is going to hell in a handbasket.

DAMN YOU LEECHER KONEKO!
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 13:35   Link #10
microlith

Send a message via AIM to microlith
Like no one saw my post in the torrent submissions forum where I took a shit on them (suteki-yume.)

There are HORDES of groups like them that act like they're the greatest thing ever and yet their channels are full of rooted *nix boxes and trojanned windows machines serving up shit on IRC.

Most notably on Aniverse, primarily cause the IRCOPs on the network are fucking hypocritical in their motd and say "we won't allow copyrighted material to be traded here" but turn a blind eye to the trading of licensed anime even though it falls under the same clause.

Of course, they don't want to hear it.
microlith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 15:08   Link #11
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by microlith
Like no one saw my post in the torrent submissions forum where I took a shit on them (suteki-yume.)

There are HORDES of groups like them that act like they're the greatest thing ever and yet their channels are full of rooted *nix boxes and trojanned windows machines serving up shit on IRC.

Most notably on Aniverse, primarily cause the IRCOPs on the network are fucking hypocritical in their motd and say "we won't allow copyrighted material to be traded here" but turn a blind eye to the trading of licensed anime even though it falls under the same clause.

Of course, they don't want to hear it.
Amen Microlith. As usual you weaved an inciteful post of hate for those god damn licensed downloading fucks.

And the whole clause of:
"we won't allow copyrighted material to be traded here"
is bullshit to begin with. Anime is copyrighten. So there fore no one should use aniverse to trade anime.
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 17:21   Link #12
sonar

Quote:
You're surprised by this?

Did you really think that everyone was just going to get along and play nice? Of course there will always be people who do things such as this. Then again, people who do these kinds of things get theirs in the end.
Heh, I'm guessing he was, but I was surprised too, I can tell you for a fact that we don't do this at least to our knowledge(and yes we've had "offers" from "teams" to "help" us out >_<). There are such things as legal bots (people with excess bandwidth from their server, isp owners, uni kids etc.)

Quote:
I'm sure they also pay for all that bandwith they use. I think not. Most likely it's stolen from university, but if they didn't have all this stolen bandwith then it would take us years to get stuff. The whole fansub scene is going to hell in a handbasket.
Now edu leeching, within reason, I don't have a problem with for a few reasons. One, you're entitled to edu internet usage as a student, and the university can revoke certain access if they wish. Universities rent lines, meaning amount of bandwidth isn't really as much of a problem as speed, which results in sick amounts of bandwidth available. I do have a problem with say, hacking an .edu server to serve your stuff, but just setting up a pc and hooking it up to the edu connection I don't.
sonar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 19:16   Link #13
ravishingrono
Ponpoko Pin!

Send a message via MSN to ravishingrono
Hijacked legit blah blah blah.

As I long as I leech the ep I don't give a damn.

gg kind sirs. :fingers:
ravishingrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-18, 21:15   Link #14
NinjaServ

heh, sounds like what the RIAA is doing to p2p services, except they have to hire ppl to do it...
NinjaServ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 00:54   Link #15
zalas
tsubasa o sagashite

Send a message via ICQ to zalas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishingrono

And this is why you are considered a lower life form, aka leech.
zalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 00:56   Link #16
ravishingrono
Ponpoko Pin!

Send a message via MSN to ravishingrono
A lower life form! Sweet!
ravishingrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 02:08   Link #17
bayoab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishingrono

In addition to what zalas said....
Couple emails to a couple people or maybe an excessively large spike in bw and they will all go bye bye. Be happy that most people turn a blind eye to this practice. Better to use legit methods with people controlling them. I can assure you this practice wont last forever. Downloading is not meant to be a luxury. Oh, or they could just stop distro'ing... its not like they fansub for you...
Old 2003-11-19, 14:15   Link #18
holyangel
Kawaii Fantasy

o.0 then kindly explain to me why the group has only 1 bot which is paid at $80 per 2 months out of my own pocket? And also why are we moving that bot to a co-located server? We also have a 2nd bot which is hosted kindly by a EDU helper.

And btw shia-chan and intermezzo is not part of our crew in the first place, they just happened to came into power during the internal war if u read the front which happened to be "missing".

And also btw we aren't chatting how we used hacked bots for distro, we were fighting over wtf distro really is, so stop framing us. The lower section about the attack bots weren't by the channel ops also, they were by some curious fans like u who were curious about what bots are all about.

And yes, almost all XDCC Bots are actually hacked bots if u really want to know what they are. XDCC Bots can't be purchased from ISP or hosting company unless u happen to know a friend in a hosting company which might not work out also.
Thus the only common way you can get an XDCC Bot is to either get edu people to join your distro and install iroffer on his computer and thus setup a XDCC Bot, however most edu won't do that as they don't wanna get their lines cancelled and iroffer itself is regared as a virus by virus scanners like norton.

For more info on what XDCC Bots really are, read here.

http://www.thebluenowhere.org/IRC/xdcc.html

There is actually another more detailed guide as to what they really are, but the site was hacked and infested with a virus thus I will not post the link here.

If you are still very interested to know more and how to see if your computer is rooted and how rooters play with your computer, read the edu log here.

http://staff.washington.edu/dittrich...nisog-xdcc.txt

And personally I'm studying how to unroot computers which are rooted as from what I know, they hide the folder in your system32 section and change your window settings to make that folder hidden from even the admin account, and thus it's impossible to access without mounting it.

Though the conclusion from all that I know is that, anime groups or ware groups will resort to XDCC Bots even if it means hacking to get them as firstly XDCC Bots are easy to use and download from and you can access the server remotely and edit the bot. Also, to pay for legal xdcc bots would cost a bomb over time and thus the normal reaction of a human would be, it's free. And without XDCC bots, I really doubt we can get animes like today... we might very well still be like the 1990 where Anime Fansubbing is really cool and rare, and getting to see anime is really a wonder.

Ftp distro or dump you see fansub groups use... most are also hacked. They are actually servers which can't use the exec command from the ftp and thus are unable
to install iroffer, and so can only be used as a dump lolz.

Hope I answered your question on XDCC Bots, I'll be glad to share more that I know and what I learned if you wish to know more.
holyangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2003-11-19, 18:24   Link #19
bayoab

(Offtopic but posted here for everyones info)
Quote:
Originally Posted by holyangel
And yes, almost all XDCC Bots are actually hacked bots if u really want to know what they are. XDCC Bots can't be purchased from ISP or hosting company unless u happen to know a friend in a hosting company which might not work out also.
Thus the only common way you can get an XDCC Bot is to either get edu people to join your distro and install iroffer on his computer and thus setup a XDCC Bot, however most edu won't do that as they don't wanna get their lines cancelled and iroffer itself is regared as a virus by virus scanners like norton.
You can get a bot on a shell if you want. Or buy some hosting with an enormous amount of transfer. Also, Norton does NOT detect iroffer. Norton cannot detect the majority of rootkits. In my experience Trendmicro is the only scanner which detects iroffer rootkits via web scan. (I have not tried f-secure, kav, panda, sophos.)

Quote:
And personally I'm studying how to unroot computers which are rooted as from what I know, they hide the folder in your system32 section and change your window settings to make that folder hidden from even the admin account, and thus it's impossible to access without mounting it.
Only the really good rooters go this far. The majority of rooters are stupid and dont even bother hiding it. They can be found with a little bit of searching.
(Also clearly there when you port scan it).

Quote:
And without XDCC bots, I really doubt we can get animes like today... we might very well still be like the 1990 where Anime Fansubbing is really cool and rare, and getting to see anime is really a wonder.
16k/s fserves worked fine back 3 years ago. There were no hacked bots, just people on dsl/cable and a few edu. Infact it was better back then because you could get older stuff. Bots typically do not have the space for full archives.

Quote:
Ftp distro or dump you see fansub groups use... most are also hacked. They are actually servers which can't use the exec command from the ftp and thus are unable
to install iroffer, and so can only be used as a dump lolz.
The typical rootkit installs a) 1-2 iroffers b) 1x serv-u ftp. FTP's are rarely hacked compared with xdcc and usually offered by people on edu's because they are rarely much of an issue for the student if properly admined.
Old 2003-11-19, 19:14   Link #20
TaMz
ninj4 from the north

Send a message via MSN to TaMz
uh...
very strange things here...
iroffers and stuff I never heard about...
I just use my plain old fashion home computers with Windows+sysReset+some FTP program+Apache to distro/host/seed/fserv/xdcc...
no strange thingys needed...
TaMz is offline   Reply With Quote