Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2016-11-20, 16:24   Link #81
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinjer View Post
^ on the other hand, at least everyone has to contend with barbarians now (and you get an advantage for playing tall since there's less territory to police
Actually the best way to deal with the barbarian problem is to civilize any terrain around you. This is true in VI as it was in V.
Expand everywhere and there will be nothing to "police" anymore. Leave some nearby land untaken and you're just inviting barbarians to knock at your door.

Though it might be actually convenient to get extra money from razing their camps if you can afford the military units.

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-11-21, 04:13   Link #82
ChuckE
Provoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
Though it might be actually convenient to get extra money from razing their camps if you can afford the military units.
Indeed. Leave couple of units and repeatably raid their lairs

Though I prefer to clean the fog out of the whole map, leaving watchdogs here and there.
Old 2016-11-27, 11:45   Link #83
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDZ View Post
Be prepared to wait forever, then. Because I doubt that's coming, ever.

It involves tons of work, and most people are satisfied (as in, no significantly negative effect on their experience) with Civ V-level AI. Those that aren't will likely also be disappointed in the improved AI. It makes no financial sense to invest development time into producing actually good AI, and Civ is a commercial game series.
Forever? Hardly.

What Firaxis won't add, the community will. There is a lot of mods available for Civ VI already, and the mod-tools aren't even released yet. There's few AI improvement mods already and they do work, though it's nowhere the level it could be. But without the mod-tools, the level of mods the community can create is very limited.
Old 2016-12-21, 02:29   Link #84
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

So now Poland can go into Space?
Old 2016-12-21, 14:19   Link #85
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Maybe it's just me but that sounded really OP.
Old 2016-12-23, 12:13   Link #86
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Maybe it's just me but that sounded really OP.
It is OP . Not sure what Firaxis is thinking with these "balance" changes introducted in the Winter Patch, but then they release clearly un-balanced Civs like this.

What the video failed to mention also is that you can destroy buildings under construction if the land is stolen. It's pretty obvious if you think about it but I didn't realize it until a friend told me .. So imagine this: Playing on a slower speed, building a wonder for a LONG time and then a Polish settler+Military Engineer comes next to your wonder, plops down a city + fort and kaboom .. Wonder gone.

Troll-y as fuck.
Old 2016-12-28, 07:26   Link #87
Jaden

I'd be OK with it if you got to declare war without penalties after Poland steals your territory. It's worrying that they didn't mention any diplomatic impact in the video...
Old 2016-12-29, 07:59   Link #88
Jan-Poo
別にいいけど

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
It is OP . Not sure what Firaxis is thinking with these "balance" changes introducted in the Winter Patch, but then they release clearly un-balanced Civs like this.

What the video failed to mention also is that you can destroy buildings under construction if the land is stolen. It's pretty obvious if you think about it but I didn't realize it until a friend told me .. So imagine this: Playing on a slower speed, building a wonder for a LONG time and then a Polish settler+Military Engineer comes next to your wonder, plops down a city + fort and kaboom .. Wonder gone.

Troll-y as fuck.
Wait, what if you let them finish the wonder and then annex the tile?

Jan-Poo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 21:25   Link #89
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
My favorite video game franchise of all-time is probably the Civilization franchise. Mostly due to its game mechanics, this is one Civilization game I wanted to thoroughly review.

I should make clear where I'm coming from - I've played Civ II (for the original Playstation), Civ III, at least one of the Call to Powers, various freeciv versions, Civ IV, Civ V, Beyond Earth, and now Civ VI. While I am an experienced Civ gamer, I'm far from an expert one or a PtP one (my old buddy Archon_Wing is probably a good guy to turn to for that). I typically play at Prince/King difficulty (or whatever I feel is closest to "normal"), and I've never played the game against human opponents. So this experience will definitely color and shape my review.

I received Civ VI as a Christmas gift, and have played it a lot over the past week. I've tried out a few different leader/civilization options, and I've successfully finished one playthrough as Rome/Trajan, achieving Cultural Victory.

The remainder of the review will be in spoiler space below, and will be spoilerrific in a sense.

Spoiler for Civ VI review:

Overall: My overall rating for Civ VI is 87%, an A.

There's definitely room for improvement in future Civ games, particular on visuals, AI quality, and GETTING CANADA AS A DEFAULT PLAYABLE CIVILIZATION ALREADY! I'd love to see a Civ VII that has the visuals of Civ V, an upgraded version of Civ VI's game mechanics with a couple new features, and John A MacDonald or Pierre Trudeau staring at me on the "choose your leader" screen.

tl;dr Fantastically fun forward-thinking game mechanics, stirring audio, improved use of Wonders, and solid storytelling combine to make this a very good video game, in spite of its flaws with respect to visuals and AI quality and in various other areas.

I highly recommend this game to anybody who likes the Civ franchise but wants to experience something new.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2017-01-01 at 21:43.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 23:04   Link #90
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Canada has the problem of being a relatively YOUNG country.

Now, obviously USA is just as young if not younger. But USA had the benefit of being a world power in real life.

Canada has very similar origins with the US, with a mix of French and British history. But the main issue is that it is still a part of the Commonwealth. Yes, India technically is too, but India's history is much older than Canada.

Canada didn't have an identity outside of the native peoples, before it became Commonwealth. In the end the issues is Canada isn't u8nique enough from America, and not old enough as a culture to be distinct.

Frankly, if Canada get a Civ then so should New Zealand. I don't see that happening. Lots of small nations in Europe get a Civ because, once again, long history. Poland had been around for a long while. (1000 years old.)

This is basically the same problem as trying to make Pluto a planet; they couldn't do that because then there are at least three other "planets" they would have to add. To add Canada would mean adding many others, way beyond the capacity of the devs.

Appreciate the thought about adding Australia, but I have a feeling most Australians would struggle to come up with Civ details that works in the game.

Last edited by Vallen Chaos Valiant; 2017-01-01 at 23:15.
Vallen Chaos Valiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-01, 23:23   Link #91
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Appreciate the thought about adding Australia, but I have a feeling most Australians would struggle to come up with Civ details that works in the game.
The real issue would be finding a leader of days gone by that people would agree on. Trust me - you wouldn't. You'd be more likely to get someone like Ned Kelly or Russell Coight to be accepted in that role than anyone that actually was a leader.
Old 2017-01-01, 23:58   Link #92
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
The real issue would be finding a leader of days gone by that people would agree on. Trust me - you wouldn't. You'd be more likely to get someone like Ned Kelly or Russell Coight to be accepted in that role than anyone that actually was a leader.
It takes a long time for a nation to develop its own mythology.

I guess America is unusual in being able to so readily worship their "Founding Fathers" as deities in all but name, despite it not being that long ago.
Old 2017-01-02, 00:15   Link #93
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Canada has the problem of being a relatively YOUNG country.
Even so, Canada is a very large country geographically and is a G8 nation. If you're going to make an age exception for the USA, I think the next most logical exceptions are Canada and Australia, with sheer size being a factor in both cases. Nothing against New Zealand, but it is a small country, both geographically and population-wise (relative to both Canada and Australia).

Size, both geographic and population, does matter. It matters in the Civ game itself after all! I think it should matter just as much as how OLD a country is.

And honestly, I think you understate how unique Canada is from the United States. Canada's political culture has been significantly different overall in recent decades. I also can think of fitting unique buildings and units that would work well for Canada. The Mountie as an upgraded calvary unit, perhaps with a bonus against barbarians and/or a terrain-traveling bonus, would work very smoothly. Hudson's Bay Company as an upgraded trading post, or an upgraded marketplace, would work well.

It should be noted that there's a good number of Civ V mods for Canada leader/civilizations. Clearly there is a desire among many Civ players to play as Canada. One could argue that this should be the biggest factor of all.

Anyway, I still like Civ VI, clearly. I just think that Canada should be a default playable civilization. I hope it is if/when Civilization VII comes along.
Old 2017-01-02, 07:40   Link #94
Keila

Quote:
It takes a long time for a nation to develop its own mythology.

I guess America is unusual in being able to so readily worship their "Founding Fathers" as deities in all but name, despite it not being that long ago.
Australia has plenty of mythology ... if you care to look into it (Aboriginal). It just so turns out that very few people care enough about it.
Keila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 00:47   Link #95
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
So how's the multiplayer for Civ VI? Always loved the series but the multiplayer's been lacking. Do teams work?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 02:20   Link #96
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keila View Post
Australia has plenty of mythology ... if you care to look into it (Aboriginal). It just so turns out that very few people care enough about it.
The native people did NOT have an identity of being "Australians", because they are split into a myriad of small nations with their own language and culture. It is the honest truth that Australia is a young country for that reason. It is impossible to represent the original population as "One People", and I understand they don't like to be grouped together either.
Old 2017-02-22, 00:32   Link #97
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Here comes Australia. Here comes Australia.
Old 2017-02-22, 00:51   Link #98
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Edmund Barton? First Prime Minister and one of the founders of the Australian judicial system? Could give Australia some sort of law or security based civ boosts. Also perhaps colonial ties for better trade with neighbors on the same continent or city states.

edit: nvm, didn't read the latest posts, lol. Curtin huh, that is also an equally valid choice and was my initial though, but figured maybe something a little more obscure would work. Also, jesus christ the comment section on that video is literally cancer, wow. On the plus, I'm hoping to get to see Quill18 play some Australia, since I think he'd like what it can do.

Last edited by Mr Hat and Clogs; 2017-02-22 at 01:13.
Mr Hat and Clogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-22, 05:17   Link #99
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTerrorist View Post
Here comes Australia. Here comes Australia.
Yeah, I came here as soon as I found out. It certainly makes it amusing that I kept insisting that Australia is impossible...
Old 2017-02-22, 08:28   Link #100
MrTerrorist
Takao Tsundere Cruiser

Quote:
Yeah, I came here as soon as I found out. It certainly makes it amusing that I kept insisting that Australia is impossible...
Actually i was just singing "Waltzing Matilda" but changed the lyrics to "Here comes Australia".

Tags
sean bean, strategy