AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-01-10, 15:30   Link #1
Sonhex
Not dead. Yet.
*Graphic Designer

Master of Epic ~The Animation Age

Aired on 01/07, an anime based on a popular MMORPG 'Master of Epic' or Moepic. Animation by GONZO.

This is a real oddity, to say the least. I was expecting a fantasy adventure, instead this is an oddball comedy sketch show set inside the RPG world. Basically it's a parody, lampooning the conventions of RPGs with some subtle and not so subtle humour. The first ep is broken into three main stories...

Spoiler:

There's probably a slim chance of this getting subbed any time soon, which is a pity as it's got some great gags in it. Unfortunately some of the jokes and sketches (like the intro and the wierd Japanese businessmen) I didn't get at all. Maybe a group will pick this up. Certainly if you like comedy shows or oddities with off-the-wall humour, check it out.

Last edited by Sonhex; 2007-01-10 at 16:35. Reason: housekeeping
Old 2007-01-10, 15:39   Link #2
the.Merines
Seeker of Power

Send a message via AIM to the.Merines Send a message via MSN to the.Merines
I was wondering why no one had discussed this... The first ep. was totally weird, but in a good way. This seems like a show that will be passed over for a few weeks/months, which is sad because I'd love to see it subbed.
Old 2007-01-10, 15:47   Link #3
Deathkillz
~ You're dead ^__^* ~
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via MSN to Deathkillz
totally wierd isnt the word O.o it totally flew over my head a couple of miles up ~ took me a while to realize that it is based on an RPG as i was going wtf? over what was happening...the little sketches was cool and it reminded me of the long addictive drug that ive put down (WoW) ~ and the intro to the 5 chibi elves...that killed me XD randomness...

Siggy: hohohohoho~ | AnimeHistory welcome to our blog ~ | Summer2009 early review
Under the radar series Summer2009: Kanamemo, GA Geijutsuka Art, NEEDLESS
Old 2007-01-15, 15:18   Link #4
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
this one caught me off-guard with its randomness. I had to take another look. Then I've watched the first episode about 5 times (and "warageccha 5" about 10 times), still baffled. The humor is really imbecile, but this is also addicting for me. I'm going to keep watching this show until raw-releasers are fed up with it (seems like no way it's going to get fansubbed or licensed).
Old 2007-01-15, 15:20   Link #5
itzfurrball

Send a message via ICQ to itzfurrball Send a message via AIM to itzfurrball Send a message via Yahoo to itzfurrball
oh... and Kaneda Tomoko FTW!
Old 2007-01-17, 09:23   Link #6
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Woah, this certainly is rather random, but I like it. Similar to .HACK, but I personally think this is more entertaining . The entire episode seems like a bunch of short length fanfics thrown together, plus it's animated (love the vivid backgrounds). Since I enjoy MMORPG fanfics, I think I'll stick with this one for a while.
Old 2007-01-17, 13:33   Link #7
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Merines View Post
...totally weird, but in a good way....
Exactly. Not something I'm going to watch, but entertainingly random. Interesting format: separate shorts with their own mini-credits. Elf newsreader and elf loli rangers ftw.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-01-24, 13:52   Link #8
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

I just watched episode one and expresses my first reaction to it.

I was expecting some sort of plot and I get Monty Python.

I can understand if no one subs this, cause it looks like Kare Kano all over again. Just the first episode had more text to translate (and don't mention the typesetting!) than a number of episodes of any "regular" anime.

Gonna try episode two and see if the insanity continues...

Old 2007-02-11, 23:07   Link #9
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Double post! (not really)

A new fansub group called EPIC fansubs started with episode 1 of this and for a new group, I thought that their effort was pretty good!

The only quibbles I have is that they try to find a better quality raw (but I understand if they can't), and that the font size for the main subtitles be smaller (the style and color is fine, but it's just too big... maybe the same size as the karoke would be better).

Keep up the good work!

Old 2007-02-12, 02:31   Link #10
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
Well there are 1280x720 raws floating arond so hopefully they can make use of those. In any case I've been watching this raw mostly while waiting for a sub. Over all I like it, but I can say there are times I find myself wishing for certain characters to appear again. Some have while others have not.

I will admit that yes I rather enjoy the Waragecha 5 segments of the series. That group is just awesome. I'm also rather fond of Angelica (At least I think that's her name) who appears in episode 03. Not sure about the name of the green haired girl with her. Still part of the fun is seeing what the current characters of each episode are up to.
Old 2007-02-13, 06:47   Link #11
tanuki

I watched the fansub and thought it could have been better if the short stories were less random, and if the newscast angle had been used to better effect in introducing viewers to the game and serving as a lead-in to tie each of the short stories together.

Chuckle, I'd agree with the previous comment by Kaoru Chujo...Elf rangers ftw. I started laughing when the rescued players went to thank the five heroic girls who saved them, and the girls were busy looting the bodies of the bandits they had just defeated.
Old 2007-02-25, 02:01   Link #12
Meis Triumph
The Spirit Blacksmith

the quality from EPIC is very bad? =\
http://anidb.info/perl-bin/animedb.p...36&expandall=1
Old 2007-02-28, 01:30   Link #13
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
It seems they've been building up the progress of the Waragecha Five group with each episode save for episode five where they were absent, but they made up for that in episode 06. In any case here goes.

Spoiler for Waragecha Five through the first eight episodes:
Old 2007-02-28, 03:30   Link #14
Joojoobees

I thought this show was hilarious. I thought it was going to be a documentary about animators when I downloaded it.

What do you mean by "getting disinfected"?
Old 2007-02-28, 06:32   Link #15
dr. fnord
jui kuen

it's nice to see an anime using its sizeable powers of satire/randomness for the social good. perhaps it's the old cynic in me, but I'm glad to see someone turn the screws on the RPG motif; too often it flows in the other direction, action adventure fantastic voyages working the cheap thrill of accomplishment from beating up straw-man villains, cf. level-UP-u! better to work the hipster thrill of mocking the rube thrill until it plays out. and then have a serious moment of praying for the rubes' souls, before snapping out of it to laugh at them again.

"the employee bows" repeated sound effect ftw.
Old 2007-03-04, 03:02   Link #16
Nergol

Anyone know how many episodes of this they're planning in total?

I watched with two friends - they're gamers, I'm not. I was mildly amused. They were in hysterics. I'm under orders to get more.
Old 2007-03-04, 03:18   Link #17
Joojoobees

The references to MMORPGs are often unusually witty. I loved the two characters going on a quest for some nori. The news report about how someone left their pet elephant in front of the door to the bank was also spot on.

Given the popularity of WoW, etc. I wonder why this title isn't more popular.
Old 2007-03-04, 17:59   Link #18
Nergol

If anyone from Epic fansubs is perusing this forum and hasn't seen this yet, please go have a read:

http://forums.animesuki.com:80/showthread.php?t=43830
Old 2007-03-04, 18:51   Link #19
goku888

I love this anime! it's so funny. But i'm an ex-World of Warcraft player. I don't think someone who doesn't play a MMORPGs would get what's going on in the anime as much as someone who plays MMORPGs.
Old 2007-03-04, 23:49   Link #20
Burner of Anime
Illegal Additives

This show is what .Hack should have been if they had followed the antics of real world MMORPG gamers

As tragic as it is, an MMO pacifist really exists. Usually as a big crew of PvP victims
Closed Thread