AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Nanoha/Vivid Franchise

Notices

Old 2010-08-19, 23:30   Link #26601
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Moczo
All right, here's something new. You can blame thank Nanya for inspiring me on this one. My own take on Sette, his favorite Number, and her trials and tribulations following her release from prison.

Spoiler for 'Ready, Sette, Go!' Part 1:

Spoiler for Author's Note:
Moczo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 23:50   Link #26602
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Location: Place of rocks and trees, and trees and rocks...and water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moczo View Post
All right, here's something new. You can blame thank Nanya for inspiring me on this one. My own take on Sette, his favorite Number, and her trials and tribulations following her release from prison.

Oh man, hilarity! XD

Punny title is AWESOME!!! Good job!

I must say, I'm amazed that you can come up with so many technical titles/labels, and still make them sound good and realistic!

Sette trying to convince her older sisters to give her orders, even as a free being, was hilarious XD. Doubly ironic that Quattro was the one who finally convinced Sette to leave the prison!

And at the Nakajima house...in a convoluted, socially inept way, Sette does make a lot of sense (check out property security...oops, there goes the garden gnome...don't want to disturb anybody, cut the alarm and let myself in....)! I can't wait to see what the reaction is to finding her sitting in their living room .
deathcurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-19, 23:58   Link #26603
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Thumbs up

Quote:

Hah! Now that's more like it!

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 00:46   Link #26604
00-Raiser
Burst Mode
*Author

Send a message via AIM to 00-Raiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBeam View Post
"It's easier to die quickly than to live and prolong the suffering."
Oh it's easier, sure, but as far as I'm concerned, it's cowards who take the easy way out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
At the same time, healing is a natural ability too, and yet they can do it with magic
What healing magic does is speed up the body's natural healing processes. Blood clots faster, cells divide faster, etc.

@Moczo: I'll read yours later
Old 2010-08-20, 00:47   Link #26605
Nanya01
Left for TFF
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Nanya01
Smile

Quote:

Thanks, Moczo. I had a REALLY bad day at work. This was nice to come home to read.

My fics Due to certain things, I am not here, find me over on TFF.
Nanya01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 01:09   Link #26606
Tiresias
Labda Prakarsa Nirwikara

Quote:

Oh LOL, she's like Nagato Yuki meets Sagara Sousuke . Worse even, considering both of them at least has some hobby

I'm eagerly waiting for the continuation
Old 2010-08-20, 01:21   Link #26607
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00-Raiser View Post
What healing magic does is speed up the body's natural healing processes. Blood clots faster, cells divide faster, etc.
........I may be wrong, or getting way too scientifically technical , but isn't cloning the act of replicating something? Making cells divide faster is a way of replicating (for single-celled organisms at least)....

I guess using the word "cloning" for Nanoha isn't entirely accurate, as she's not being reproduced as a whole individual, but rather only certain body cells are being replicated and replacing the old, dead ones. I guess I saw it as cloning body parts, and having them magically transplanted? So a very super-glorified form of healing? The reason I chose the word "clone" is because for a human brain, cells don't naturally divide once the brain is mature (creating new cells and more branching doesn't count), so what Fate would have had to do was completely reproduce Nanoha's brain (so cloning instead of replicating/healing) and er....replace the dead one .

It's really the brain part that's keeping me stubborn in using cloning magic instead of more heavily considering the idea of giving Nanoha a mana-created body . I know that I could have had Fate act sooner, but it makes Fate's actions seem even less justifiable, when Fate's already treading on morally questionable ground .

So for now, to keep this debate from going way too detailed, I'm just going to say that in my story, for minor cloning (say, just single organs and such) Precia had come up with short-cut spells (which Fate had learned somewhere, for some reason), but that regular, full-person cloning requires all the liquid tubes of stuff .
Old 2010-08-20, 06:08   Link #26608
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

2nd out of 3 parts. Decided to write some more of these very short things. The 3rd part will be in a normal style, detailing this event.

Part 1

Spoiler for The Result of True Power:

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 06:59   Link #26609
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
Oh it's easier, sure, but as far as I'm concerned, it's cowards who take the easy way out.
I think you misunderstood what I was saying. What I meant was that when you die, that's (usually) why it's so quick; to end the suffering. I didn't mean that if you're suffering you go and commit suicide to end it.
Old 2010-08-20, 07:50   Link #26610
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathcurse View Post
Oh man, hilarity! XD

Punny title is AWESOME!!! Good job!

I must say, I'm amazed that you can come up with so many technical titles/labels, and still make them sound good and realistic!

Sette trying to convince her older sisters to give her orders, even as a free being, was hilarious XD. Doubly ironic that Quattro was the one who finally convinced Sette to leave the prison!

And at the Nakajima house...in a convoluted, socially inept way, Sette does make a lot of sense (check out property security...oops, there goes the garden gnome...don't want to disturb anybody, cut the alarm and let myself in....)! I can't wait to see what the reaction is to finding her sitting in their living room .
Thank you. The title made me happy when I thought of it.

... though looking back, I wonder if, 'Stand by, Ready. Sette Up.' Wouldn't have been more thematically appropriate...

When I decided to write a story entirely from Sette's point of view, I wasn't exactly sure what to do at first. In the end, I decided the best way to handle her was to have everything she do be perfectly logical... in the completely wrong way. Judging by reactions so far, it's working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comartemis View Post
Hah! Now that's more like it!
Glad you like it so far! If you want more like this while I'm trying to write the next chapter, check out my FF.net profile sometime... pretty much everything I write ends up at least a little bit like this. Just my quirky writing style, I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post
Thanks, Moczo. I had a REALLY bad day at work. This was nice to come home to read.
Glad to hear I made your day a little brighter . I pretty much started the story for you, so if you didn't like it that would have been a pretty serious problem to the work's future, y'know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
Oh LOL, she's like Nagato Yuki meets Sagara Sousuke . Worse even, considering both of them at least has some hobby

I'm eagerly waiting for the continuation
Like I said; she is surprisingly fun to write. Especially in the first person. Her whole character is based around the fact that she's the cold, logical, machine-like Number, so I'm portraying her as convinced that she is perfectly sensible and normal, even though what she thinks of as 'logic' is not something that a normal person would consider, and she is not normal in any sense of the word.

Really, I never really even noticed Sette in StrikerS, but after only one chapter of trying to get into her head I'm starting to find her incredibly adorable, even though I know in my head that most of what I'm seeing about her is stuff I made up!

Quote:
@Moczo: I'll read yours later
That would be nice, I enjoy attention. If you prefer to read it in a less forumish place, this is as good a place as any to mention that the first chapter is now up on fanfiction.net, right here.
Old 2010-08-20, 08:09   Link #26611
yuiseppe
Cute things, sharp teeth.

Quote:

Bahahahaha!! Favourite part quoted above. I love how she kept quoting the Penal Code regs... then slips in the transport regulations for good measure
Old 2010-08-20, 09:28   Link #26612
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
@DC, Few things to add:

Remember that Fate wasn't an exact clone of Alicia. So you're asking us to believe that Fate did something to Nanoha on a more specific scale than Precia did, with better results, in a process that Precia would have had more knowledge in. That's partly why I said including it makes it more convoluted, because you have to introduce yet more explanations to get around all of this. While you can do this, I feel it's simpler not to use.

Everyone makes rash decisions, especially where emotions are concerned. And hey, if Fate is 12, she's going through puberty, which already plays havoc on an emotional state. "Nanoha... dying? No, I can't have that! Not like this! There has to be something I can... do..."

Also, I'm kinda doubting a familiar could be dispelled with AMF. Zafira wasn't, if you want to take the view that he was similar to a familiar. I doubt Arf would be. It seems like magic is used to create the body, and after that, it's real. Then the soul is put into it, and from then on, the master sends it an amount of mana to keep it alive, like it's on life support.

Quote:

Sette does need more love. So rare that people actually use the cyborgs, that they don't even know their personalities. It's one reason why I wanted to feature Quattro, Tre and Sette more in my Crisis series. Sette is more the "perfect soldier" as Quattro said, mostly emotionless, concerned only with the mission. You nailed it fairly well here, although she comes across sounding a bit too Vulcan-ish, but that's doable with humor.

Hopefully lead to people using her more, at lest. The Nanoha series itself won't, because Sette is 7. =(
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 09:31   Link #26613
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

Send a message via AIM to itanshi1 Send a message via MSN to itanshi1
7 = nana mizuki and 7 = ripe loli age

... so why not?

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
itanshi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 09:41   Link #26614
Moczo
"Hey, Isaac?"
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Sette does need more love. So rare that people actually use the cyborgs, that they don't even know their personalities. It's one reason why I wanted to feature Quattro, Tre and Sette more in my Crisis series. Sette is more the "perfect soldier" as Quattro said, mostly emotionless, concerned only with the mission. You nailed it fairly well here, although she comes across sounding a bit too Vulcan-ish, but that's doable with humor.

Hopefully lead to people using her more, at lest. The Nanoha series itself won't, because Sette is 7. =(
Yeah, as a result of the story being mostly for amusement value there's going to be some exaggeration of her character. Though honestly, she got so little screentime in StrikerS and almost all of it was in combat, so I'm sure most readers won't actually know that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itanshi1 View Post
7 = nana mizuki and 7 = ripe loli age

... so why not?
Because 7= Nana Mizuki. They don't want Sette taking attention away from Fate.
Old 2010-08-20, 09:46   Link #26615
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

man to know their actual boardroom logic

Fear Anxiety Doubt is but a fad. The life of a fad depends entirely on the willingness to support it. Difficulty is a choice. Determination is a path. Your next great idea after your destination is the true goal.
Old 2010-08-20, 10:02   Link #26616
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
She's a fairly good VA, but I get the feeling Nana has a bit of an ego (not that I get down on her for it or anything). I recently discovered an anime series called "Nana Seven of Seven" where a character named Nana Suzuki accidentily makes 6 more copies of herself, for a total of 7. Of course, it's voiced by Nana Mizuki.... hmmm...
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 10:16   Link #26617
itanshi1
Writer, Jester, MtG nerd

She didn't write it :P hehehe

but it is a cute series and maybe the writer wrote it for her. Ego or not, not really bothering me. I mean if you want an ego, try Shakira

Old 2010-08-20, 11:42   Link #26618
deathcurse
Queen of Tragedy

Quote:
Thank you. The title made me happy when I thought of it.

... though looking back, I wonder if, 'Stand by, Ready. Sette Up.' Wouldn't have been more thematically appropriate...
Oh man, that would be awesome too XD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
@DC, Few things to add:

Remember that Fate wasn't an exact clone of Alicia.
....she ISN'T?????

Quote:
So you're asking us to believe that Fate did something to Nanoha on a more specific scale than Precia did, with better results, in a process that Precia would have had more knowledge in. That's partly why I said including it makes it more convoluted, because you have to introduce yet more explanations to get around all of this. While you can do this, I feel it's simpler not to use.

Everyone makes rash decisions, especially where emotions are concerned. And hey, if Fate is 12, she's going through puberty, which already plays havoc on an emotional state. "Nanoha... dying? No, I can't have that! Not like this! There has to be something I can... do..."

Also, I'm kinda doubting a familiar could be dispelled with AMF. Zafira wasn't, if you want to take the view that he was similar to a familiar. I doubt Arf would be. It seems like magic is used to create the body, and after that, it's real. Then the soul is put into it, and from then on, the master sends it an amount of mana to keep it alive, like it's on life support.
I just PM'd you with a variation of this idea, that might hopefully be a good bridge between all our thoughts about cloning . I do still want to keep it, just for the link with canon TSAB law, and also because wicked me likes the fact that sweet, innocent Fate is now being lumped in with Precia XD.

I don't think that a familiar can be dispelled with AMF either, but if the AMF cuts the mana link between master and familiar things probably wouldn't look pretty .
Old 2010-08-20, 13:05   Link #26619
Comartemis
He Who Smites Shippers

Quote:
....she ISN'T?????
Well that's one possible interpretation. Precia rejected her as a replacement for Alicia, so either there's something "wrong" with Fate, or there's something wrong with Precia. If it's got something to do with Fate, then my entirely unscientific guess is that they don't have the same soul and hence aren't the same person, which would fit with this recurring theme we have throughout the series of the value of the individual. It's the same thing as what Vivio went through in StrikerS and what Einheart is dealing with now in ViVid, this notion that regardless of how they were born or whose memories they have they are their own person, not just a copy of a DNA sample.

Of course the problem could also be with Precia, and we know there's something lots of things wrong with her.

Kill the Darkfic.
Burn the Angst.
Purge the Bad End.
Comartemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-08-20, 15:47   Link #26620
Megaolix

Quote:

Let's hope for poor Cinque that she'll think of a great idea (order) fast. Maybe finding a hobby (one that is not to follow orders)?

Edit: Page claim for Sette!

Last edited by Megaolix; 2010-08-20 at 16:10.
Megaolix is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
authorshipping, befriending, fanfiction, interactive fanfiction, nanoha