AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

View Poll Results: Suzumiya Haruhi (2009) - Episode 04 Rating
Perfect 10 43 14.88%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 12 4.15%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 25 8.65%
7 out of 10 : Good 42 14.53%
6 out of 10 : Average 26 9.00%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 13 4.50%
4 out of 10 : Poor 19 6.57%
3 out of 10 : Bad 16 5.54%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 8 2.77%
1 out of 10 : Painful 85 29.41%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-07-02, 16:25   Link #101
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
Congrats, KyoAni, you've just lost another fan.

Yeah, this series is pretty much my life, and now it's pretty well dead to me.

THAAAAAANKS KYOANI
Well, I'm pretty sure KyoAni had been ready to respond to such reactions with a prepared statement saying, "See ya!"
Old 2009-07-02, 16:34   Link #102
typhonsentra

I declare today the day Kyoani just shot itself in the foot.
I don't know if the rest of you know much about Japanese culture (I'm an expert!), but honor and shame are a huge part of it!

If you screw someone over in Japan, Glorious Nippon, you bring shame to yourself.

You could say Endless Eight has ended it's sales.... of DVDs for the series!
Old 2009-07-02, 16:38   Link #103
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I was amused by this episode. I don't know why exactly...I just was.
Old 2009-07-02, 16:51   Link #104
Coruja

Am I the only one that finds this "gimmick" totally ingenious?
I'm glad they gave us another Endless Eight episode with no real ending, just for the "WTF" factor.
Now I won't be surprised if they do the same this next week, just to stir it up a bit... I bet that, no matter what most of you are saying, you're still follow the series. They win in the end: adapting less material and leaving material untouched for a possible third season; and still leaving people intrigued. That's why I love this series.

@Takamura Mamoru: LOL
Old 2009-07-02, 16:55   Link #105
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Can they make Kyon and Itsuki commiting suicide together a la Thelma & Louise? Or pissed off Kyon stealing a car and driving off a cliff with Shamisen behind the wheel? I'll appreciate it.
Old 2009-07-02, 16:57   Link #106
Takamura Mamoru
The Hawk

Unrelated to the topic, but I wonder how this would have been if the Brigade (except Haruhi) would remember every time? Like the classic Groundhog Day. Except of course, not as many loops as 15.000

They could do all kinds of shit without consequences.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:00   Link #107
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
Can they make Kyon and Itsuki commiting suicide together a la Thelma & Louise? Or pissed off Kyon stealing a car and driving off a cliff with Shamisen behind the wheel? I'll appreciate it.
Now THAT would be something to watch

KyoAni has won the hearts of 4chan again.
I'm still going to watch this episode though despite the low rated-polls.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:03   Link #108
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Just to be optimistic, I think they will end it next week.

No real reason for the guess other then they have probably succeeded in their goal of making the fan base feel even a portion of what Yuki is going through.

Or they can just troll us till we reach 8 episodes of Endless Eight.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:05   Link #109
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Personally, I think this is as nifty as any classic Twilight Zone episode I can think of.... "Thrice Apon a Time" (novel) and "ST:TNG Cause and Effect" category....

Its a genius bit of storytelling that will (as we see from the thread) have people tearing their hair out.... just like the characters. Extra fascinating because they could have recycled animation... and for the most part they don't seem to have.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:10   Link #110
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
Just to be optimistic, I think they will end it next week.
I think so too because they have said everything that they can about the situation and have set up the solution; so next week hopefully will be half "old" stuff and half solution.

Old 2009-07-02, 17:12   Link #111
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Its a genius bit of storytelling that will (as we see from the thread) have people tearing their hair out.... just like the characters.
I really do appreciate the approach in that respect, but even for me (who is applauding Kyoani's actions boldness while still being mildly annoyed by it all) I do think if they drag it on anymore than one more episode my enjoyment will probably come to a near screeching halt. There is only so much I can take and while I have somewhat liked this "unique" approach by Kyoani, I think they've done quite enough and it's time to stop.

I mean if they're doing all this to give us insight into the feelings of the characters I think they have done a swell enough job of that already (some haruhi fans threatning to stop watching) and there doesn't need to be anymore added on effect in my opinion.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:12   Link #112
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Another possibility is they are waiting for summer to end in Japan, and then they really will end the "Endless" Eight story, it makes sense considering they waited 3 years to start this season of Haruhi.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:17   Link #113
Nochgo
iceman
*Scanlator

Ugh, Endless Eight IV, eh? I don't know what KyoAni is thinking, but I really hope they aren't joking. If they seriously did this to convey the feel of Endless Eight to the audience, fine. But even that have limits too.

Having wasted 4 episodes (or more) on this plot, my thought is that they will do a separate anime season titled "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya," after this reruns of 'melancholy' ends (pun intended). Though this is just a hopeful thought of mine.

Quote:
Now where the HELL is that tenth novel? Oh wait, that'll probably be a troll too.
Well, KyoAni doesn't write the novels, Tanigawa Nagaru does. So I wouldn't think the last novel would be a troll.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:27   Link #114
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
I think so too because they have said everything that they can about the situation and have set up the solution; so next week hopefully will be half "old" stuff and half solution.

This is just me, but what I would love to see them do is have next week end in a cliffhanger, and then have the subsequent episode be "Endless Eight Part II", just to really, really confuse on-lookers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nochgo View Post
Having wasted 4 episodes (or more) on this plot, my thought is that they will do a separate anime season titled "The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya," after this reruns of 'melancholy' ends. Though this is just a hopeful thought of mine.
Well, yeah. I think people are just upset right now because they're like "I've waited three years and built up all these expectations of what they'd cover, and instead they're giving me this". But this is certainly not going to be the last Haruhi anime ever, and as was pointed out, this is a reboot of the series -- an expansion of season one. I think they're trying to make people set their expectations aside and just allow the show to surprise them again. Because otherwise, they were never going to live up to peoples expectations anyway.

And to be perfectly frank, I wouldn't be oh so disappointed if some of the more hardcore fanboys did lose interest. It's way too much fan drama for my tastes.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:31   Link #115
SealkidHaruhiism
Haruhi Suzumiya rules!!

Quote:
Now where the HELL is that tenth novel? Oh wait, that'll probably be a troll too.
Kyoani doesn't write the novels
Tanigawa, Nagaru writes the novels
and hes also the creator of haruhi.

Just cheer up. Dont blame on them on everything.

The whole thing isn't kyoani's falt.

Blame on Kadokawa.
They're the ones who troll us a lot.
Kyoani deserves half of the trolling.

Also Kaisos Erranon,
Kadokawa postponed the Last novel.
ok.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:33   Link #116
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

This episode has really defined anime as art rather than just 20+ minute commercials.

Do you think this episode will sell DVDs? Will more people buy this episode's DVD if they show it a few more times with different variations? Obviously not.

But what they've done stimulated the senses and emotions of the audience, they've created an unexpected result which causes the audience to react strongly. This is art, a creation that genuinely makes the audience feel the what the characters go through.

So yes, I agree its ingenious as people have mentioned earlier on.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2009-07-02, 17:37   Link #117
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Do you think this episode will sell DVDs? Will more people buy this episode's DVD if they show it a few more times with different variations? Obviously not.
Well, if they package it in such a way that doesn't make me buy the whole first season again, I'll buy... I actually quite like these episodes, repetition and all. It's interesting! But otherwise, I do totally agree with your points. This isn't just about using anime as a vehicle to tell a story, it's about using the actual presentation as the story. That's out-of-the-box thinking.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:37   Link #118
Fushichou7

I still have my doubts.

What could be called "ingenious" could really be "laziness."

While I am not trying to disprove your point, I'm a bit skeptical about KyoAni's intentions.
Old 2009-07-02, 17:37   Link #119
W-General
Bushinsoukou
*Scanlator

Send a message via ICQ to W-General Send a message via AIM to W-General Send a message via MSN to W-General
05/21 ep08 Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody
05/28 ep09 Mysteric Sign
06/04 ep10 Desert Island Syndrome (I)
06/11 ep11 Desert Island Syndrome (II)
06/18 ep12 Endless Eight
06/25 ep13 Endless Eight
07/02 ep14 Endless Eight
07/09 ep15 Endless Eight
07/16 ep16 Endless Eight
07/23 ep17 Endless Eight
07/30 ep18 Endless Eight
08/07 ep19 Endless Eight
08/14 ep20 Endless Eight
08/21 ep21 Endless Eight
08/28 ep22 Endless Eight
09/03 ep23 Endless Eight
09/10 ep24 Endless Eight
09/17 ep25 Endless Eight
09/24 ep26 Endless Eight
10/01 ep27 Endless Eight
10/08 ep28 Endless Eight
~The End~
Old 2009-07-02, 17:40   Link #120
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fushichou7 View Post
I still have my doubts.

What could be called "ingenious" could really be "laziness."

While I am not trying to disprove your point, I'm a bit skeptical about KyoAni's intentions.
I don't find there to be anything particularly "lazy" about it. It's actually probably more work in some ways to keep coming up with new and different ways of presenting the story from different angles, while still giving a sense of progression. Each episode is treated by a different director as a full episode with different shots, cuts, and scripts (albeit similar in some ways). I think this is at least as much work as it would be to produce episodes that progress further through the novels.
Closed Thread