Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2007-11-17, 20:01   Link #41
Le Haitien
Vive Haiti!!!

Thumbs down

Hello all

I was one hit for Seto no hanayome.

As for the question earler on use of comcast's network i am guilty i use between
10-20gb a month on the low side
Le Haitien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 20:13   Link #42
stormie

oy scarry. Glad i switched from them, I'm a heavy bandwith user on dsl 7mbit dsl. Mine ranged from 5gb-400gb month. Havnt recieved anything yet, I like to collect a lot of anime +retail anime, except hentai.

Only problem is that they have people like odex from SG i think , they are REALLLLY strict on this anime. So if they catch ya on bittorrent, and catch your ip, most likely you'll get in trouble. Poor guys in SG always complaining about them, cause their ISPS are always monitored by it.

They need to update peer guardian. I've noticed some of those companies listed on it blocked.

Fansub isnt really dead, most likely its Bt torrent they are after, its easier to catch, all they have to do is download BT and log all those IP address's on bt and then here you go dmca complaint. Another thing is stay clear of those animes that are in cohoots with those companies that are issuing those complaints.

You can always DL from irc or http anime sites that offer DL.
stormie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 21:10   Link #43
Eviltape

I swear, God was watching over me when FiOS offered faster upload speeds than Comcast and I switched over. It's good to hear that the only one that seems to care about this is Comcast.

Quote:
Comcast has received a notification by a copyright owner...
That DMCA notice doesn't seem to include who the copyright owner is, though.
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 22:25   Link #44
endou

I hope everyone realizes there is a strong possibility these are fake notices being sent by comcast to try and reduce bandwidth usage by "power" users. I wouldn't pay much attention to them if they don't state a specific company that requested the notice be sent out.
endou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 22:33   Link #45
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Isn't that illegal...
Old 2007-11-17, 22:41   Link #46
endou

Comcast do something illegal? *shock* Yeah, it is and I wouldn't be at all surprised if my guess is correct. They do a lot of extremely shady things.
endou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 22:56   Link #47
Messerschmitt_Bf-109
y hello thar

Thank god for backwater IP who don't care as long as you pay, lol.
Old 2007-11-17, 23:30   Link #48
RogueAngyl
Diverted Core-gira

Send a message via AIM to RogueAngyl
Well I was planning on moving next year, hadn't really picked a place yet, at least now I know to not move into a Comcast controlled region, or at least hope that VerizonFiOS is available.
RogueAngyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-17, 23:32   Link #49
Felduck

I got one for Shugo Chara 05. Somewhat amusingly, for the raw I downloaded for screencap purposes, not the sub I downloaded several days earlier.

It's particularly annoying, since the money could be better spent fixing the trunk line their monkeys break once a month.

Well, let them play their game. I'll just hang out on IRC for a while.
Felduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 00:32   Link #50
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
I see a lot of people blaming Comcast for this. While I'm not excluding the possibility of dirty dealing from Comcast, understand that DMCA violation notices are something every ISP in the US has to deal with (and most other countries have similar laws that affect their ISPs).

Unless Comcast is generating these falsely, passing them on despite the notices being illegitimate, or co-operating with any third parties attempting to police these, then the only thing Comcast can be accused of being guilty of is being big enough that so far we've only noticed this from reports of Comcast customers.

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 00:43   Link #51
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuusai View Post
the only thing Comcast can be accused of being guilty of is being big enough that so far we've only noticed this from reports of Comcast customers.
Yes, it's more likely to suspect at this point that Comcast was just the quickest to react to the notices and send E-mails to their customers. But time will tell for sure.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 00:58   Link #52
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

- While it's certainly possible Comcast is fabricating these DMCA notices themselves considering all the recent news about them, I find it unlikely to be the case here. After all, it would be better for them to take on the big fish first in that case, who download 100+ GB monthly.

- Even if getting DMCA notices for downloading anime is going to be a daily occurrence for anyone trying to download fansubs through BitTorrent, it only means fansubbing will probably go back to where it was in 2004: the world or IRC and usenet, etc.

- Arguably it's possible Odex is involved. However, I don't really see the point in sending DMCA notices to US downloaders, as that's hardly going to have any affect at all to Odex's revenue. Unless of course they instructed whatever company they hired to sniff out illegal downloaders to be indiscriminate about the notices they sent to ISPs (and not just limit it to Singapore).

- With the current list it seems a bit weird if one single company (US or Odex) owns the license to them all. Gundam 00 for example will be be licensed by Bandai when licensed (99% guarantee), but I don't see them getting the other series. For example Seto no Hanayome, with Gonzo involvement, is more in Funimation's alley. And I can't see Shugo Chara getting licensed at all. Of course, that's just my opinion.
GHDpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 01:23   Link #53
ALLANG

I promise you this is ComCast's dirty dealin'

I live in Florida. My family home is in SouthWest Florida, where ComCast rules. I go to college in Gainesville, where our high speed internet service is provided by Cox Communications. Occasionaly back home in SW Florida for the holidays, I download my anime there. I have been served with TWO DMCA notices there, both of which were for fansubbed anime NOT LISTED previously in this thread. Furthermore, I have been the victim of CONTINUOUS bandwidth throttling when I'm home in SW Florida once I break a GB per day barrier, no matter what. This has been happening for the last two years (Ive been part of the fansubbing community since 2004).
When I am home at college in Gainesville, I pay $60 per month for Cox Communication's Premier ISP service, with 12 Mbps DL and 1.5 Mbps UL speed. I download at least 50 to 200 GBs per month of unlicensed fansubbed anime, among other things I download. And I have never received a DMCA notice.
I promise you all that maybe the Japanese License holders are in on this, but Comcast is about as goddamn dirty as they come. Comcast is a perfect example of corporate irresponsibility. Since Comcast just got served with this new class action lawsuit against its 'traffic moderating' policies, Im sure they are jumping on new possibilities that might be able to substitute in case the US courts hold their traffic moderating policy unconstitutional.
All I want to say is this - Cox has my $60 per month because they deliver on their promise. Comcast wants your $60 per month and then if you use the service they provide to the fullest, they want to block you from it. Just like another person posted eariler, its like buying cable TV service, and then being told that after you watch 6 hours of cable TV in one day that you arent allowed to watch anymore TV because the other subscribers need the bandwitdh to watch TV themselves. That is complete and total bullshit, not to mention completely false advertising and predatory business practices. I plan on holding a huge party on the day Comcast finally goes down.......I cant wait!
ALLANG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 01:56   Link #54
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

I'm going to bet this is complete Comcast bullshit ... and coupled with their illegal RST packet reset attacks of torrents.

Basically Comcast wants to stop torrenting on their networks ... and retain their model of being the source provider of "entertainment content" to passive customers. They really hate this "internet concept" because they think it should model the cable television stream .... passive users.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-11-18 at 02:07.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 01:57   Link #55
UltimaWolf
~Nani...?~

Sorry if this is a stupid question but is a DMCA just basicly a warning? No fining,etc? And if so, if you get a DMCA does that mean you will get fined,etc? Sorry again!
Old 2007-11-18, 02:09   Link #56
Green²
It's bacon!

Trackers and fansubbers generally get the front line of this stuff, but going straight to the fan's ISP, that's only asking for PR on a scale greater than that of MFI. No wonder why they keep the name hidden be that the case.

But this whole incident shouldn't be limited to any one ISP. Which likely means that the other ISPs took one look at what DMCA thingie notice was sent to them, and told the sender to go *$%^ themselves. ...Likely meaning that Comcast is breaking a law or two.
Green² is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 02:36   Link #57
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Haitien View Post
Hello all

I was one hit for Seto no hanayome.

As for the question earler on use of comcast's network i am guilty i use between
10-20gb a month on the low side
You're only using 10-20bg of bandwidth a month? You're more than plenty of the safe side. Me and my brother both download, so they bandwidth usage is double. But it's not like I really download too much anyway. If I remember correctly, Comcast actually wants you to use only like no more than 100bg of up and down per month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm going to bet this is complete Comcast bullshit ... and coupled with their illegal RST packet reset attacks of torrents.

Basically Comcast wants to stop torrenting on their networks ... and retain their model of being the source provider of "entertainment content" to passive customers. They really hate this "internet concept" because they think it should model the cable television stream .... passive users.
I'm glad someone finally brought this up after 3 pages of similar anti-comcast remarks. And myself, comcast for me is 1 of 2 only provider of high speed broadband in my area, so I have to stick with comcast. Windstream in my area has a very unstable connection along with really bad speed. Plus WindStreams DSL service is really quite bad in any kind of stormy weather, while my Comcast connection doesn't die in light rain.

If i'll be assuming like you do Vexx, they'll be more lawsuits after Comcast in the following months then

-I think I'll go download those animes and see if I get a DMCA warning from Comcast to further this research.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 03:08   Link #58
Kamui4356
Aria Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green² View Post
But this whole incident shouldn't be limited to any one ISP. Which likely means that the other ISPs took one look at what DMCA thingie notice was sent to them, and told the sender to go *$%^ themselves. ...Likely meaning that Comcast is breaking a law or two.
It could also mean there is no copyright holder here and it's just comcast. The whole thing seems suspicious to me.

First, it's the isp contacting the people. If it was legit I'd expect to see these being sent by the copyright holder itself, or a legal firm representing them. Second, they're going to the leechers, and not the fansub groups. Third, the titles involved here seem to be random. There doesn't seem to be a common studio connection, and other titles from the same studios are not included. Fourth, they point out that your comcast account could be terminated or suspended, but nothing beyond that. Fifth, they don't say who they're acting on behalf of. Sixth, comcast has a history of unethical actions related to controlling traffic on their network, particularly with bittorrent.

Taken seperately each of those might not mean much, but together it looks like these dmca notices are really "stop using so much bandwith" notices. Comcast likely just envoked general dmca warnings to give it more impact.
Old 2007-11-18, 03:10   Link #59
Kyuusai
9wiki
*Scanlator

Send a message via AIM to Kyuusai Send a message via MSN to Kyuusai Send a message via Yahoo to Kyuusai
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post

I'm hesitant to jump on that conclusion without the evidence coming to light. I just fear being wrong.

I mainly wanted to quote you, though, to point out how astute an observation you made about Comcast's business "viewpoint". I'd just cookie the post, but you know how that works.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimaWolf View Post
Sorry if this is a stupid question but is a DMCA just basicly a warning? No fining,etc? And if so, if you get a DMCA does that mean you will get fined,etc? Sorry again!
The DMCA stands for the "Digital Millenium Copyright Act", which is the US's legislation that "tightened the screws" on copyright. Sadly, it also "tightened the screws" on personal freedom. Most countries these days have similar (heck, most of the major trading nations have worse).

A DMCA violation notice means that the copyright holder (or their representative) is notifying you (or, by proxy, your ISP) that there is material being served that they have the copyright to. It is their "warning" for you to stop. Generally, they fire these letters out and leave it at that.

The fines come only if you are sued for damages incurred by copyright infringement. If they're going the lawsuit route, they generally pick a handful they feel they have solid cases against and make examples of them. If they received violation notices, it's news to me.

If you get a notice, consider it a threat to sue you if you don't stop, and consider yourself lucky that they're not suing you, but instead only telling you to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamui4356 View Post
First, it's the isp contacting the people. If it was legit I'd expect to see these being sent by the copyright holder itself, or a legal firm representing them. Second, they're going to the leechers, and not the fansub groups.
I just wanted to offer some perspective on this point.

Practically speaking, random folks on the internet can't know who you are based on your IP address. That's information your ISP has. At least in civilized countries, an ISP is not going to reveal customer information for anything less than a court subpoena (It has happened before--see what happened in Singapore--but the ISPs generally end up in hot water).

For that reason, the copyright holder (or their representative) contacts your ISP, who in turn contacts you. If you get something directly, it either means that your ISP sold you out or that your ISP had no choice in the matter as it was a court order (in which case, pray for mercy).

I await patiently
the gift promised to me.
Kyuusai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-18, 03:47   Link #60
Once and Current Subber

I actually sent these out back in the day, so let's take the tinfoil hats off for a second, huh?

First, it's completely normal for the notices to be transmitted from the ISP. The entire point is that the ISP hasn't released your name/information to the complaining party at this point - they don't have to do that until they get subpoenaed for an actual lawsuit. So whoever (Odex, but for sake of argument, whoever) wouldn't even be able to send a notice directly to you - at this point you're still just the IP address they're complaining about.

Put together the facts we know. Comcast is sending out notices on four shows, shows which are highly unlikely to all be licensed to the same US licensor. A completely different person, who isn't using Comcast, reports having recently received such a notice credited with having originated from Odex. Odex is a company that has combinations of licenses completely different from the US licensors, as they're more or less the only company operating in Singapore. We happen to know that Odex has been on an anti-piracy kick lately. Additionally, even though US fansubbing isn't directly aimed at the Singaporean market (heh), it's certainly something which affects that market.

At this point, it's not unreasonable to conclude that Odex has these licenses for the Singaporean market and that they've retained a company to go hunt down fansubs of those titles.

As to what they can do? Certainly it wouldn't do any good to sue an American with no foreign assets in a Singaporean courtroom. They could always sue you in the US courts, but that's as complicated for them as it is for any of the US companies, and we've discussed that plenty in other threads. (Read: long, drawn-out, unprofitable process, not happening any time soon.)

Two complicating factors. One, it's entirely possible that Odex could go hunting for an example or two to make, just to see if it has an effect; unlikely, but possible. Additionally, the company they're contracting with might do so independently, not necessarily because it's something that Odex wants to do specifically, but as part of their normal services for US copyright holders who proceed to that step a little more often than an anime company does.

For plenty of people, the chance that the other guy might be irrational or miscalculate his prospect of financial returns is worth more than what they're getting out of hosting a particular series' torrents; most of them will quit when asked. Even if that's the only effect that sending these letters has, well, it's still an effect, and sending these things out is not an expensive thing to do; I could crank out 50 in an afternoon back in the day.
Avatar_notADV is offline   Reply With Quote