Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-18, 14:48   Link #1
LeoXiao
思想工作

Changed topic name- looking for a specific anime

Yes... another one of these threads...

I am looking for good-quality animes, preferably in the Evangelion/GITS/Ergo Proxy/Full Metal Panic area, but by no means limited to this. for example, comedy would be okay too.

Here is what I have seen and liked:

-Everything from Ghost in the Shell
-Death Note
-Monster
-Neon Genesis Evangelion
-Full Metal Panic (all 3 seasons)
-Samurai Champloo
-The Melancholy of Haruhi
-Black Lagoon
-Darker than Black
-Ergo Proxy
-Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei
-Azumanga Daioh
-Zipang
-School Rumble (ok IMO)

Here is what I would NOT like in my next anime:
-Mechas: They're SO stupid, particularly when they make all cool stuff like jet fighters and tanks obsolete because of some BS new armour or something)Of course, if it's like Evangelion or Full Metal Panic, I can let it pass. GITS SAC did pretty good job too, turning mechs into more of a support role.
-Too much overt fantasy or supernatural stuff: There are too many animes about fighting demons and such. I am not interested in an anime that centers itself on this sort of thing, like Yu Yu Hakusho. once again, I can be lenient (after all, Death Note, which was great, had demons)
-Annoying animation styles: Again, think Yu Yu Hakusho. Elfen was pretty bad in this regard as well.

Here is what would be awesome for my ideal anime, besides the usual good plot/characters/etc:
-War/Weapons: Preferably with believable, modern weapons. Think FMP without mechs.
-Dystopia/dark atmosphere: think Ergo Proxy
-Realistic style animation: I think you all know what that is.
-Comedy: Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu did the best job, IMO. If you know of anything like it tell me ASAP.

Wow, that was a lot for a mere recommendation request. Anyway, please use the above information to help ease my boredom.

Thanks.

Last edited by LeoXiao; 2008-08-28 at 00:14.
Old 2008-08-18, 15:44   Link #2
Rawgers
Nyaa~

Meh, too start off there is
Code Geass (has mecha but it isn't entirely based on it)
Utawarerumono- War type anime but with old fashion weapons such as swords
TTGL- very good anime but only problem that it has mecha =/
Baccano
Serial Experiments Lain- I haven't watched it but it kind of fits your requirements

Comedies-
Lucky Star - Slice of Life comedy
Minami-ke
Ouran- animation may turn you off
Seto no Hanayome

For beatiful animations try these movies.
5 Centimeters per Second
The Place Promised in Our Early Days
Toki wo Kakeru Shoujo
Old 2008-08-18, 17:12   Link #3
MuraKami
Phase Angle

Titles tempted to add to your list:

Texhonolyze, Noein, Madlax, Jin-Roh - none of them comedy though, but pretty much cover the first two requirements; realistic animation ... something like Rescue Wings and Kaze no Yojimbo, perhaps?
Old 2008-08-18, 23:15   Link #4
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Action / Fantasy / Romance:

Fate Stay Night
Shakugan no Shana
Zero no Tsukaima
Kenichi (best martial arts anime with lots of laughs)
Zegapain (mecha anime with a very deep / philosophical plot and great animation)

Comedy:

Seto no Hayanome
Sumomomo Momomo
Old 2008-08-19, 15:26   Link #5
LeoXiao
思想工作

Thanks, I will look into those.

Actually, I decided that at the moment I'm looking for a comedy. I looked through some others already but decided none of them were worth watching.

To give you an idea of what sort of comedys I found good, I'll list them below:

Full Metal panic: fumoffu
GTO
Haruhi
Samurai Champloo
Azumanga daioh
Zetsubo sensei

Yeah I know it's a kinda small list but try your best to find me an anime that is like one of the above.
Oh yeah, and please make sure the characters don't look like little kids. The animation doesn't have to be perfectly realistic but keep it at the level of zetsubo sensei or higher.

Once again, thanks for all your efforts.
Old 2008-08-20, 20:37   Link #6
blewin

Action and comedy:

Katekyo hitman REBORN! (totally hilarious! serious actions start onwards from ep 19, but it's worth the wait)
Full Metal Alchemist
Eureka Seven (ok, I know you said no very keen on mecha, but E7 is greatly similar to FMA in many ways, and is deep and hilarious too - an excellent anime in its own right)

College comedy:

Nodame Cantabile
Old 2008-08-20, 22:50   Link #7
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoXiao View Post
Here is what I would NOT like in my next anime:
-Mechas: They're SO stupid, particularly when they make all cool stuff like jet fighters and tanks obsolete because of some BS new armour or something)Of course, if it's like Evangelion or Full Metal Panic, I can let it pass. GITS SAC did pretty good job too, turning mechs into more of a support role.
Macross is awesome. We basically have a robot configuring F-14, and this is in my aesthetic opinion the greatest concept of fictional robotic engineering. It's robot configuration has a functional rationale behind it, and that is to fight alien enemy combatants who are naturally its size. The series is great, and in my judgement bests all other giant robot stuff in terms of endearing characters, a compelling plot, innovative art designs, and is among the first (at least the first one in my memory) to incorporate music as an integral theme to the story's progression.

Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure is an excellent alternative. It's basically Evangelion only done as a harem anime without the depressing psycho-analysis.

RahXephon is Evangelion done right, with even more gorgeous mechanical designs.

Quote:
-Too much overt fantasy or supernatural stuff: There are too many animes about fighting demons and such. I am not interested in an anime that centers itself on this sort of thing, like Yu Yu Hakusho. once again, I can be lenient (after all, Death Note, which was great, had demons)
-Annoying animation styles: Again, think Yu Yu Hakusho. Elfen was pretty bad in this regard as well.
Escaflowne is another great one. It has the best musical score, an engaging story, and fantastic art. You don't have demons (though you do have dragons) as you really have an alternate reality in which that world's science and technology developed differently compared to our own, and two people from our world (technically three) were thrust into it. But wait until you see Escaflowne transform. It's glorious!

Quote:
Here is what would be awesome for my ideal anime, besides the usual good plot/characters/etc:
-War/Weapons: Preferably with believable, modern weapons. Think FMP without mechs.
Gasaraki. It's an intelligently crafted anime. The bi-pedal robot mechs were designed to replace tanks for superior mobility and environmental combat versatility. The setting develops a highly detailed socio-political climate. Even TV news broadcasts within the episode have nuances that contribute to the unfolding of the plot. This series is not for casual watching. The story is based around two corporations competing to get the contract for mass deployment of their weapons...I think. It's been years since I saw it. And it's got enough Eva-like weirdness for you to like.

Quote:
-Dystopia/dark atmosphere: think Ergo Proxy
Sorry but I'm scared of the dark, bro. Try Serial Experiments Lain for that dark existential stuff that Ergo Proxy deals with. I think Lain handled the issue better too, though you have to have a taste for Abe's art which I really don't.

I haven't seen it myself, but I know that Texhnolyze is definitely a dystopia setting, just as you ask for.

Then there's Paranoia Agent. It's a brilliant, or rather dark series, about a frightening figure armed with a baseball bat that stalks and hurts people.

Perfect Blue is a great one for a dark, bizarre, experience. This and Paranoia Agent are the handiwork of Satoshi Kon.

Quote:
-Realistic style animation: I think you all know what that is.
Maybe I do or maybe I don't. Many titles produced by Production IG or Madhouse give off a realistic feeling to their backgrounds, setting, and character designs. Production IG in particular has the most Japanese looking character designs. Look up either studio's list of produced anime at animenewsnetwork.com and investigate a few titles. One that comes to mind is Patlabor WXIII. Another is Jin-Roh, which is a fine piece of pure cell-animation. You've already seen Monster from Madhouse, but Master Keaton and Yawara, all of which are produced by Madhouse and come from the creative work of Naoki Urasawa, are just as brilliant, though Monster is the most intense of the three.

Quote:
-Comedy: Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu did the best job, IMO. If you know of anything like it tell me ASAP.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. In fact, it is my favorite sit-com of all time. I couldn't name you anything else that's like it. And I won't.

But try other comedies. Galaxy Angel is particularly fun. Think Seinfeld, only the characters are endearing and not people you'd want to throw under the bus. That they're tasked with a mission to search for that elusive lost technology is but an unimportant backdrop out of which come their antics.

Pita Ten is adorable, as is Cardcaptor Sakura. Ai Yori Aoshi is the best of the harem animes, giving us a lead couple that we actually support and none of the indecisiveness plagued in the likes of Keitaro Urashima or Tenchi Masaki.

Mahoromatic is still among my favorites, mixing ecchi, romantic comedy, and sci-fi melodrama with that Gainax element we all dig in NGE.

Quote:
Wow, that was a lot for a mere recommendation request. Anyway, please use the above information to help ease my boredom.

Thanks.
I think that therein lies your problem. You're using anime as a means to relieve boredom. Anime is a way of life. It's not just a lifestyle, it's a religion. Ask any anime fan.
Old 2008-08-21, 04:57   Link #8
-KarumA-
(。☉౪ ⊙。)
*Author

Location: In Maya world, where all is 3D and everything crashes
you liked Evangelion and you haven't seen Rahxephon, go watch Rahxephon you fool =P
(has mechs but is like EVA

other suggestions without mechs:
- Serial Experiments Lain
- Cowboy Beebop
- Madlax
- Noir perhaps as well

with mechs:
- Soukyuu no Fafner
- FLCL, wouldn't say mechs as in a piloting mechs, but it has robots growing from a kid's head and a crazy woman beating people up with guitars (music is awsome though and its a 6 part OAV)
- Code Geass
Old 2008-08-28, 00:13   Link #9
LeoXiao
思想工作

Alright, decided I better use this old thread rather than make a new one.

Quote:
i remember watching an anime movie about 8 years ago and the story was a bout ww3 usa go to war with russia and nuclear weapons were used in it the title was somthing like future war ?? not too sure does it ring a bill any one???
I found this in a topic from a year or two ago, but the link provided is now broken and the title was never mentioned in that topic.

Does anyone know about it? Please tell me if you do.

Again, thanks for the previous recommendations. I have looked into a few that seemed good and exhausted them.
Old 2008-08-28, 12:39   Link #10
cerrian

Quote:
Alright, decided I better use this old thread rather than make a new one.

I found this in a topic from a year or two ago, but the link provided is now broken and the title was never mentioned in that topic.

Does anyone know about it? Please tell me if you do.

Again, thanks for the previous recommendations. I have looked into a few that seemed good and exhausted them.
If you don't get find your answer here, then you'll want to drop a post in this thread where they specialize in identifying all sorts of anime/games/pics.
Old 2008-08-28, 13:34   Link #11
LeoXiao
思想工作

Alright, thanks.
Old 2008-08-28, 17:28   Link #12
Coruja

No one mentioned these, so...:

Saikano
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai
Lunar Legend Tsukihime
Ghost Hound
Tenchi Muyo! (especially Tenchi Universe)
Slayers (Next, Try, Revolution)
Paranoia Agent
Rurouni Kenshin
Basilisk
Last Exile
Old 2008-08-28, 18:49   Link #13
LeoXiao
思想工作

Thanks. Still looking for the beforementioned anime though.
Closed Thread