AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-09, 03:36   Link #201
infectedrabbid

So Sad~~

Hello everyone! I'm kind of new here so please to meet all of you!
Actually I've started reading Furuba since 2005. But because of some problems, I only managed to read until chapter 90++.
But one thing I'm sure won't change is Furuba is the best shoujo manga ever because it's not just a crappy love story like some of the others.

LONG LIVE FURUBA!!!!
Old 2008-04-14, 21:30   Link #202
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
Read book 19....so awesome!!

So, the answer for Kyo is...he needs to pick her over Akito???
Old 2008-04-15, 12:37   Link #203
seraphicmin
緒に...永久に?

Finished the whole story sometime back.

The plot was good and interesting.
The anime was awesome.
The mangas were fabulous.
The ending was more than perfect.

It truly touched my heart in every ways. The entire series had a deep impact on my life. It changed my perspective of life. And the tears shed were not wasted. T_______T

And not to mention the melodious opening and ending songs of the anime!
Old 2008-04-24, 22:37   Link #204
MercFH
I can't win this one
*Fansubber

Send a message via AIM to MercFH
Ummm Im not used to Shojo manga or the anime....is this a good story to good a start on it. I usually dont read shojo (guy and a seinen reader usually) altho apparently alot of men enjoy the manga and the anime. but I find that I like the relaitonship stories in shojo manga better and I hear this is one of the better ones.
so is this a good "gateway" series to kinda start to expand my realm.
and plz tell me there is no yaoi in it...thats just too far for me (i dont see anything wrong with it....but as I guy...well i dont want to see it lol)
and....do many guys enjoy this series?

thx
Old 2008-05-03, 21:28   Link #205
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
No yaoi, don't worry!! Lots of pretty boys, but no BL
Old 2008-05-03, 22:23   Link #206
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

FB is a great series. I'm sad to say that I've been loaded with quite a bit of shojo since my manga reading days began, and I couldn't get into the series in depth. But, the anime/drama CD cast of the series enhances the experience (caught snippets of SuzuKen and FukuJun on Youtube).

The zodiac curse thing is.... different, I guess, and the fairy tale ending makes it a good feel-good series to catch.
Old 2008-05-05, 17:11   Link #207
Starry Dust
Lurkin' in ur threadz.

I seriously need to finish this series.
It's been like....a year since I last read FB >.>
I stopped at volume 20 but I gotta admit.I enjoyed it so far.Probably one of the best and captivating shoujo series I ever read.I just love the depth of the characters and the emotion that's expressed througout the series.I already know the ending [kinda spoiled myself and read ahead] and I thought it was fitting for the manga.

I laughed.
I cried.
And I went "wtf" many times.

I love Fruits Basket
[and i love kyo too xDDD]
Old 2008-06-17, 18:42   Link #208
crystalalien87
Louise Fanatic

i finished that a while back and that is definitely a manga i have to collect...... i loved the ending... i think i shed a tear to...
Old 2008-06-17, 18:44   Link #209
Nervous Venus

I've actually skipped some parts, even though I own all 23 volumes. I guess I jumped ahead of myself wondering whether kyo and tohru would finally get together. Guess I'll need to go back and finish reading this series more thoroughly.

FB is definitely one of the best shoujo series out there. Of course I wasn't happy with the way Akito's story turned out (I'm the only one who prefers the anime ending, it seems), but otherwise, it was great.
Old 2009-08-30, 05:36   Link #210
Neku
yare yare..

I've finally finished Furuba... after all this years!

The best shoujo series I've ever read, though it's not like I've read a lot of shoujo manga. I can be pretty certain it's one of the best though.

The ending was.. not enough.
I want more Rin =/
Oh well.
Old 2009-08-30, 07:36   Link #211
Von Himmel
エーレンフェストの聖女

The part where the mangaka took the character more deeply was. . excellent ! Btw, you guys should also read Hoshi wa Utau, a manga which is created by the same mangaka :x that one is good too

Old 2009-09-07, 02:38   Link #212
Neku
yare yare..

Hmm.. don't think I've seen that manga (in the bookstores, so maybe I'll read it online if I can find it).
I'm thinking of getting Tsubasa: Those With Wings though.. I think the main character looks like a blend between Akito and Rin
Old 2009-09-07, 15:49   Link #213
MikiMata

I am probably the only person in the entire world who thinks this, but here goes.

I've finally gotten around to reading FB after all this time, and I actually think it is somewhat overrated. It just feels too long, with too many characters, and too uneven in its pacing. Sure, there were moments when it made me cry, or feel warm inside, but some of the plot twists at the end felt very contrived.
Spoiler:
But I think the main problem is that I never connected with Tohru as a heroine; she is sweet and loving, but that is pretty much all there is to her character. Most of the time she feels more like a perfect angel of mercy than a three-dimensional person.

Perhaps if I'd started reading FB when it first came out, I would have found it ground-breaking. Maybe I've simply read too much subsequent shoujo manga to find this series particularly unique.

At first, Shigure was my favorite character, simply because he was so twisted and complex (I also found him to be the cutest). Even then, his ruthlessness and manipulative ways eventually lowered my opinion of him, as did his
Spoiler:

To be clear, I do think it is a good series; I just didn't think it lived up to its reputation as a masterpiece of the genre.

Last edited by MikiMata; 2009-09-07 at 18:11.
Old 2009-09-08, 14:17   Link #214
Veritas
The Last Visible Dog

You're not the only person who thinks that. I liked FB, but it isn't a masterpiece. You're absolutely right about all of the contrivances for the sake of drama (I'm not keen on most anime with romance themes for this very reason) and how flat Tohru was as a character. She was a device to get everyone else to confront their issues. I stopped reading fairly early on, and now if I had to get a fix, I'd just watch the anime.
Old 2009-09-09, 15:18   Link #215
MikiMata

Thanks for the reply! Usually, when I tell people what I think about Fruits Basket, they look at me like I'm nuts. So, thank you!

I guess I prefer heroines with a little more fire and spice to them - if Rin or Arisa had been the protagonist, I probably would've liked FB better.
Closed Thread

Tags
drama, romance