AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2011-07-30, 21:04   Link #1
syscrash

Strong protagonist, low fantasy, for a "mature" audience

Hi!

I feel like I'm running out of anime to watch, and I'd like to get some recommendations .

I like series with a strong protagonist (though I liked Evangelion). I think some romance on the side can add depth.

I don't like ridiculous fantasy stuff. I prefer realistic settings. I liked Madoka Magica (the setting was realistic if you took away the whole mahou shoujo thing). I kind of liked FMA: Brotherhood, but I didn't like the whole monsters thing. Too much random magic for me.

I don't like ridiculously long series (100+ episodes). I'd never watch Naruto or Bleach. I probably wouldn't like any series with fillers.

Some series somehow feel like they're aimed at kids. I usually don't like those. An obvious example is Pokemon. I can't really think of anything else

I really liked Gundam 00, and I am liking Gundam Unicorn. There is often no clear right or wrong, and characters' actions are reasonably well motivated. There are nice emotional aspects that maybe some people don't really "get" (bros helping bros, bros raging at the death of other bros, etc)

Some other shows I liked that I think are worth mentioning:
Break Blade (Broken Blade)
Eve no Jikan
Death Note
Code Geass
Macross Frontier

A list of everything I've seen is here.

Thanks!
Old 2011-07-30, 21:11   Link #2
Akashin

Ignoring the obvious contrast between not liking fantasy settings and, you know, watching anime, I might recommend Legend of the Legendary Heroes. It falls yet again into those series that I haven't seen yet my brother has, though he claimed to like it just fine.

Also, I saw Darker Than Black on your to-watch-list. Watch it. No reasons; just do it.
Old 2011-07-30, 22:26   Link #3
Elegance

I second Darker Than Black
Phantom Requiem For The Phantom
Old 2011-07-30, 23:24   Link #4
syscrash

I'm checking out Legend of the Legendary Heroes. It seems pretty awesome so far; right up my alley. Thanks!

I'll check out Darker than Black too. I've already watched Phantom, and enjoyed it.
Old 2011-07-31, 04:13   Link #5
Aqua Knight

Senkou no night raid
Old 2011-07-31, 18:30   Link #6
Kerspunkle

How about trying Samurai Champloo? If you liked Cowboy Bebop, you'd probably like it. I could be wrong, but it seems as though you like anime set in space, so you might like Outlaw Star. I don't remember anything magical being in either of those anime.
Old 2011-07-31, 19:29   Link #7
Shingai-san

Planetes would be a good fit for you. A strong protag, romance, and it is definitely directed towards a more mature audience.

Ararararagi
Old 2011-08-01, 04:50   Link #8
Kaze
「Darkly Charismatic 」
*Artist

Steins;Gate might be pretty good for you.
It's airing right now too to boot!
Old 2011-08-01, 05:17   Link #9
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
Wait what? You don't like fantasy but Legend of Legendary Heroes seems '' right up your alley ''. Lots of fantasy in LOTLH, fighting monsters and others and lots of magic using. It's good anime but I'm confused by your text... It hardly falls into realistic category either, and I have no idea how Gundam belongs to realistic category with flying robots..
Old 2011-08-01, 09:22   Link #10
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Sounds like Ranma 1/2.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-08-01, 09:45   Link #11
syscrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
Wait what? You don't like fantasy but Legend of Legendary Heroes seems '' right up your alley ''. Lots of fantasy in LOTLH, fighting monsters and others and lots of magic using. It's good anime but I'm confused by your text... It hardly falls into realistic category either, and I have no idea how Gundam belongs to realistic category with flying robots..
Yeah, some things in LOTLH are not ideal, but it seems to be pretty well done (not completely ridiculous) and I'm liking the series regardless.

There are fewer fantasy elements in Gundam. It's more sci-fi than fantasy; there's usually no magic, just some new tech that people came up with. Wikipedia puts Gundam in the Real Robot category.

Looks like I've got a lot of anime watching to do. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited by syscrash; 2011-08-01 at 10:13.
Old 2011-08-01, 15:09   Link #12
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Balsa in Moribito is probably one of the strongest protagonists I've seen in anime. There's a mystical component to the story, but it largely just moves the plot along. What matters most are the relationships among the characters.

Another show with a strong female protagonist is Saiunkoku Monogatari. It, too, is set in a fantasy Asian land, but the fantasy material plays even less of a role in Saiunkoku than it does in Moribito.

Monster has strong protagonists of both genders, though there's no romantic relationship between them. (Well, Nina has a little crush on Dr. Tenma, me thinks, but it's not significant to the story.)
Old 2011-12-09, 23:57   Link #13
syscrash

I watched:
Planetes
Legend of the Legendary Heroes
Steins;Gate
Initial D

and I thought they were all great. I was really surprised at how good Initial D was.

Right now I'm watching:
Kara no Kyoukai
Fate/Zero
Gundam AGE
Gundam Unicorn
Mirai Nikki
Mawaru Penguindrum

and I'm enjoying them all, though I like some more than others.

I still haven't really checked out:
Monster (seemed a little slow to me, but maybe I'm wrong)
Moribito (not sure if I'll like the setting, but it's probably worth a shot)
Senkou no night raid (this actually looks pretty interesting)
Ranma 1/2 (too many episodes)

Does anyone have more suggestions given this update?
Old 2011-12-10, 00:06   Link #14
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Ranma 1/2 is pretty episodic, you don't have to watch the whole thing.

At least try the first season and the first couple episodes of season 2.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Old 2011-12-10, 00:29   Link #15
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by syscrash View Post
Does anyone have more suggestions given this update?
According to your list, it seems that you haven’t watch Ghost in the Shell yet. It’s futuristic sci-fi, has strong protagonists and absolutely no magic whatsoever and I don’t think there’s any ‘monsters’ too. There are Ghost in the Shell original movie and its sequel which titled Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. Then, they made a TV series out of it called Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (GITS: SAC). During the series’ run, they also made some movies out of it (Not in order: GITS SAC: Solid State Society, GITS SAC: The Laughing man, and GITS SAC: Individual Eleven).

There’s also Appleseed. Two movies of those before they made it a TV series.

Sorry if you have seen them already.
Old 2011-12-10, 01:16   Link #16
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Just to comment, Moribito is probably on the "high" fantasy side, but it's a very very good series, it's mature with a great cast and realistic fights. And all the characters/sides have good motivations shown behind their actions.
MAL
Old 2011-12-10, 17:05   Link #17
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

Yugo the Negotiator.

Based off two separate arcs from a long running manga. Beppu Yuugo is the world`s most successfull negotiator. His only weapons are "words". Yuugo doesn`t kill people. Neither does he threaten them with brute violence. With rich knowledge and a calm judgement, he believes in the humans inside them. Doing only that he has managed many dangerous negotiations successfully until now. Now two of the many episodes have been chosen very carefully, one taking place in Russia, the other one in Pakistan. In the burning desert and the freezing Siberia Yuugo begins his negotiations.

This is one of the better reviews out there: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=753

Protagonists don't come much 'stronger' than Yugo. Nor are there any magic girls, unicorns, elves, or any other fantasy elements in this one. There are some fairly brutal moments, of a very personal nature, which is why it's intended for 'mature' audiences. Don't let the blurb about Yugo disdaining violence trick you into thinking other people in this show can't be violent.

The other 'mature' story I always recommend to anyone who hasn't listed it as a show they've seen is: Now and Then, Here and There. Review: http://www.themanime.org/viewreview.php?id=325

Be warned. While the overarching story is ultimately about hope and other positive nouns and adjectives, do not be fooled by the cutesy artwork you may see in some screencaps/dvd covers. Most of this story is veeeeeeeeery dark, so if you are easily depressed, do not watch. The creators made this show after hearing about the events surrounding children caught up in the horrific fighting that continues to go on between various tribes in Africa.

Shu is also a very 'strong' protagonist, in that he doesn't let all that ugliness grind him down.
Also, cake.

Last edited by creb; 2011-12-10 at 17:16.
Closed Thread