AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Old 2006-11-22, 12:01   Link #2001
Sheba
I Miss NEET Life

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
And I notice just now that the title could too refer to August, being the 8th month of the year. Oh man, I am slow.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-23, 14:38   Link #2002
cow_2001

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaifan View Post
You're a bit skeptical?

On a skepticism scale of cold fusion to Scientology, that one rates above homeopathy.
Kyon and Kryon... humm...
cow_2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 11:13   Link #2003
IchiKyo
大いなる希望の力、キュア・ドリーム!

Send a message via AIM to IchiKyo Send a message via MSN to IchiKyo Send a message via Yahoo to IchiKyo
I just Noticed?
Why the Bug of more than 10000 ep still on the Site?

Last edited by IchiKyo; 2006-11-27 at 12:06.
IchiKyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-27, 14:58   Link #2004
Kikaifan
Blazing General

Quote:
Originally Posted by cow_2001 View Post
Kyon and Kryon... humm...
Wow, that was like 10 pages ago wasn't it?

Still... creepy.
Old 2006-11-27, 15:32   Link #2005
Woland
Latin Rascal

Quote:
Originally Posted by IchiKyo View Post
I just Noticed?
Why the Bug of more than 10000 ep still on the Site?
If it's still 15498 than it's just fine
Woland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 08:39   Link #2006
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Send a message via MSN to dKiWi
Quote:
Originally Posted by illogicalcow View Post
http://www.baka-tsuki.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=104

long story short:

the title of the chapter is in katakana (the only chapter with its title in katakana, i checked the raws i have). it indeed directly translates to endless eight. they are using the direct literal translation of the title. that's what the staff at baka-tsuki came to, and what i checked for my own curiosity with my poor katakana reading skills and following up with a translation web site.

the chinese version translated it as endless august, which i assume was in kanji. maybe you got it from there.
Indeed I did. Oh man that's a bad translation. But come to think abt it, its impossible to directly translate all that Katakana into pure kanji.

Goes to show how much effort baka-tsuki puts into their projects by searching up the Katakana, since they did translate from the Chinese novels.

But then again... Endless August sounds too ugly ^^
dKiWi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 11:57   Link #2007
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Didn't know where to put this question, so here goes...

I know Haruhi's name usually appears as katakana, but on some Chinese sites, they put her name inside the title as:

凉宫春日

From what I can deduce, the bolded part of the name translates roughly as "Haruhi" (with the other two words being Suzumiya, of course), but I wouldn't know if they're just making it up.

Can someone confirm if that's her actual name in kanji? Just curious.

EDIT: And I had had a scary thought. I've never watched Death Note before, but...imagine if Light Yagami meets Haruhi, figures out what she really is, and decides to use her the way he uses his Death Note by provoking her in the direction he wants her to go.

*evil grin*
Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 14:44   Link #2008
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
And I had had a scary thought. I've never watched Note before, but...imagine if Light Yagami meets Haruhi, figures out what she really is, and decides to use her the way he uses his Note by provoking her in the direction he wants her to go.

*evil grin*
*Sniff sniff*
Do I smell a fanific?
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 16:06   Link #2009
LCeh

Quote:
Didn't know where to put this question, so here goes...

I know Haruhi's name usually appears as katakana, but on some Chinese sites, they put her name inside the title as:

凉宫春日

From what I can deduce, the bolded part of the name translates roughly as "Haruhi" (with the other two words being Suzumiya, of course), but I wouldn't know if they're just making it up.

Can someone confirm if that's her actual name in kanji? Just curious.
凉宫春日 is what everyone translated her name as in Chinese, so I would guess that's her name in kanji.
LCeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-30, 17:03   Link #2010
FatPianoBoy
Dansa med oss

Ran '春日' through the WWWJDIC. Apparently those kanji can be read as 'Kasuga,' (Ayumu? ).
I wonder if there's anyone named 'Kasuga Haruhi' (春日春日)...
FatPianoBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 00:47   Link #2011
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatPianoBoy View Post
Ran '春日' through the WWWJDIC. Apparently those kanji can be read as 'Kasuga,' (Ayumu? ).
I wonder if there's anyone named 'Kasuga Haruhi' (春日春日)...
Ayu Ayu FTW!!!!
Old 2006-12-01, 06:50   Link #2012
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

As far as I'm concerned, 春日 (pronouced in Chinese as Chun Ri) is juz a really dumb translation for Haruhi. Katakana tends to be translated really badly into Chinese I guess. I really have no idea where they got this. 春日 means spring day. It doesnt make sense and shouldnt. In chinese circles, and in the novel, Haruhi is refered to mostly as 春日. I really dislike this personally.

Unless someone hu understands both Jap and Chinese can confirm that the Katakana for Ha-ru-hi means Spring Day.

凉宫 in Japanese is read as Suzu-miya, but in Chinese it is read as Liang Gong, and roughly means Cooling Palace. So as u can see, they are translating it for translation's sake. It really shouldnt mean anything. Cooling Palace Spring Day doesnt make any sense does it?

It even gives me the creeps. I sincerely apologise to anyone who is disturbed by that translation.

If there are any other Chinese/Singaporeans hu would like to comment it would really help. Coz I've been getting Cs for Chinese all my life, but that doesnt mean I havent put in effort. Have been studying Chinese all my academic life.
Old 2006-12-01, 06:57   Link #2013
Lost

Quote:
EDIT: And I had had a scary thought. I've never watched Death Note before, but...imagine if Light Yagami meets Haruhi, figures out what she really is, and decides to use her the way he uses his Death Note by provoking her in the direction he wants her to go.

*evil grin*
You sure it won't be the otherway round? *shivers at the thought of Haruhi getting her hands on the Deathnote* And, being a god herself, she'll probably own Ryuu as well.
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 08:29   Link #2014
Ascaloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKiWi View Post
As far as I'm concerned, 春日 (pronouced in Chinese as Chun Ri) is juz a really dumb translation for Haruhi. Katakana tends to be translated really badly into Chinese I guess. I really have no idea where they got this. 春日 means spring day. It doesnt make sense and shouldnt. In chinese circles, and in the novel, Haruhi is refered to mostly as 春日. I really dislike this personally.

Unless someone hu understands both Jap and Chinese can confirm that the Katakana for Ha-ru-hi means Spring Day.

凉宫 in Japanese is read as Suzu-miya, but in Chinese it is read as Liang Gong, and roughly means Cooling Palace. So as u can see, they are translating it for translation's sake. It really shouldnt mean anything. Cooling Palace Spring Day doesnt make any sense does it?

It even gives me the creeps. I sincerely apologise to anyone who is disturbed by that translation.

If there are any other Chinese/Singaporeans hu would like to comment it would really help. Coz I've been getting Cs for Chinese all my life, but that doesnt mean I havent put in effort. Have been studying Chinese all my academic life.

I don't see anything wrong with the translation coming up with 凉宫春日 (Suzu-miya Haru-hi), personally. Remember, even though both Chinese and Japanese use the same kanji, their system of naming isn't quite the same as ours. Or at least, it doesn't have to make the same kind of sense, really. If you're bothered by this, you're just as likely to be bothered by 茂木 夏树 (Mogi Natsuki), 藤原 拓海 (Fujiwara Takumi), 水瀬 名雪 (Minase Nayuki), and so on, and so forth...do these names look like they're supposed to make any kind of sense to you, or at least any kind of sense that you can understand? Heck, even our own Chinese names hardly make sense sometimes, so I wouldn't sweat it too hard.

Besides, I feel that 凉宫春日 rolls off the tongue as elegantly in Chinese as it does in Japanese. Should I have a daughter in the future, I would have no problems naming her Chun Ri.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
You sure it won't be the otherway round? *shivers at the thought of Haruhi getting her hands on the Deathnote* And, being a god herself, she'll probably own Ryuu as well.
*thinks about Haruhi getting the Death Note*

Wait...I wouldn't be so worried. Kyon did once say (in Snow Mountain Syndrome) that he believes not even a crackpot like Haruhi would wish for someone to die. Besides, if she does want someone to die, she wouldn't need the Death Note anyway.

It's more of Light's potential to bring out the darker side in Haruhi that I'd be more worried about. Just imagine, he's a genius. It would be a piece of cake for him to whisper things into Haruhi's ears, and give her some dark ideas - "don't you wish there were no more terrorists in the world", "what if there was no more crime in this world", and give her some ideas? He would have the world he wants, and he wouldn't even have to kill anyone to achieve it. Now THAT is scary.
Old 2006-12-01, 08:35   Link #2015
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKiWi View Post

What are you talking about?

According to the Japanese wikipedia entry of The Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, Tanigawa Nagaru got his inspiration for the three SOS-dan girls from Japanese wartime battleships - the Haruhi (春日), Asahi (朝日) and of course, the Nagato (長門).

So Haruhi in kanji IS "Spring Day" (春日), it's just that Haruhi chooses to write it in katakana, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that. I seriously don't understand what you find wrong with her name. I think it's a good name for a girl. Not to mention Haruhi being quite a common girl's name. Her name symbolizes the spring sun coming out of the coldness of winter, which can be seen as a reflection of her optimism in trying hard to find aliens, time travellers and espers.

Quote:
I don't understand what you mean translation for translation's sake. That's how her name is written in kanji. Are you suggesting she should be given a Chinese name for the Chinese version?

Suzumiya is simply a common Japanese surname. I mean, do you go to a Mr Smith and tell him he shouldn't be called Smith because he doesn't look like a Blacksmith? Or a Schumacher that he should either start making shoes or stop using that name?

Nobody really looks into the meanings of their surname nowadays, maybe their first names, but not their surnames, as long as their parents don't give them names that end up as silly puns.

So "Cooling Palace Spring Day" (涼宮ハルヒ) doesn't exactly mean anything, just as "Long Gate With Hope" (長門有希) doesn't really mean anything, while "Old-Fountain Single-Tree" (古泉一樹)and "Valley-Mouth Flowing" (谷川流)are just names. Even my real name (in Chinese that is) hardly makes sense, but no one's complaining.

Quote:

You're definitely thinking too much into this. Please relax, they're just bloody names.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 08:39   Link #2016
Lost

Ah, yes, indeed... Who needs the DeathNote when you can kill billions by winking a world out of existence? XD Come on, it'll take more than genius to sway Haruhi.. As it is, I foresee her forcing Light to don a Bunny-Suit and distribute flyers at the school gate. *thinks of the Haruhi undressing Mikuru scene*

Quote:
Originally Posted by dKiwi
If there are any other Chinese/Singaporeans hu would like to comment it would really help.
Won't be of any help to you. I only got Fs and a D7..
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 09:11   Link #2017
Riker
Peek a boo
*Graphic Designer

In the Taiwan broadcasted version of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Hayate's name, 疾風 (pronounced jí fēng in chinese), was changed to 哈雅貼 to sound like the japanese pronunciation. Many fans were... not exactly pleased. :x

Would you have prefered it if the chinese name for Haruhi to be something like... 哈如希 ?

p.s.

My chinese grades are horible as well. :x
Riker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 11:48   Link #2018
Kinny Riddle
Gone for Good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post
In the Taiwan broadcasted version of Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's, Hayate's name, 疾風 (pronounced jí fēng in chinese), was changed to 哈雅貼 to sound like the japanese pronunciation. Many fans were... not exactly pleased. :x

Would you have prefered it if the chinese name for Haruhi to be something like... 哈如希 ?

p.s.

LOL, poor Hayate-chan. And poor Nanoha-tan and Fate-chan as well, as they have to work their arses out to beat the crap out of the Book of Darkness and save the world again.

I shudder at the thought of "Ha-Ru-Xi" being pronounced in cheesy mandarin. I bet even the voice actors would have preferred the kanji names.
Kinny Riddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-01, 16:41   Link #2019
General_Norris
Ouendan member

Names don't need to have a logic meaning. Except mine which has a really cool name with tradition.

PD: Not that I care.
General_Norris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-12-02, 22:32   Link #2020
dKiWi
Devoted Haruhiist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riker View Post

p.s.

Haha interesting how our Chinese grades stink but we can understand kanji/chinese fine. I think those hu are really good at chinese muz be all over chinese forums now...

Anyway YES... I would take 春日anyday over 哈如希 (WHAT THE FUCK), and yes Liang Gong Chun Ri flows nicely in chinese.

Its juz that I dislike how Chun Ri omits the trademark red H in the romanji Haruhi.

Tags
comedy, kadokawa, school life, science fiction, shounen