AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2016-08-28, 12:47   Link #21
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Excellent! As others have echoed more Girls und Panzer is a welcome thing! And hey, even if it may be sad to see the franchise being finished up at least it IS being finished up instead of things somehow left hanging or unknown.
Old 2016-08-28, 14:04   Link #22
Ernietheracefan

GuP Sotsugyou Shashin and GuP Sunshine..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-28, 14:47   Link #23
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if they'll find out just why they wanted to scrap their city-ship carrier. And then have to come up with a way to keep it going now that they've forced her to remain in service.

Mono is still present so it is still just later that same year. Or at least the image is from before the seniors' graduation the next March. Der Film was August-September.

I suppose Miho would need to graduate eventually and the Internationals are still two years away (after she leaves high school). But she still has her third year left to go, and the tank groups will loose several students when the present third years graduate.

Tanks were sort of a means to an end for some of these girls. To gain recognition for there preferred clubs in some cases (Volleyball Club in particular, but possibly also the History Club). Miho's team is more or less there for her (Mako for an erasing of her record). The Student Council is there to save the ship, but also to have fun together in their last year. The only group seems to be there purely because they want to be there are the Freshmen, who were the ones excited by tanks from the initial presentation.

The added three groups have their own motives I suppose. Automotive group because the Tiger (P) needs attention. The Gamer group....well I'm not sure why they decided to join, aside from to get stronger physically. And the Moral's group is there to keep order (and an eye on Mako).

If they make a sequel series after this Tank Carnival (is it a series, OVA, or another film?) They will need to reorganize the tank groups and add more students. They don't need to go for more ridiculous tank combat, but just more tank combat, since it is a rare thing to see at all, much less done well. We will also loss most of this year's rivals (friends from the other schools) since the team captains were all seniors I think.

Sequel: Frau und Tanku?
Old 2016-08-28, 21:31   Link #24
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Well this is all way welcome hopefuly there will be a rematch with Arisu
Old 2016-08-28, 22:51   Link #25
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Miho still hasn't defeated Darjeeling in combat.
Old 2016-08-28, 23:53   Link #26
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Miho still hasn't defeated Darjeeling in combat.
I like that she can't beat her. I hope it stays that way always. It prevents Miho from appearing too OP.
Old 2016-08-29, 00:27   Link #27
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
I like that she can't beat her. I hope it stays that way always. It prevents Miho from appearing too OP.
I like a little more closure myself and I don't think Miho is OP (in fact, I'll say the show is consistent in showing that she's a better tank commander than she's a company or worse a battalion commander, which is the entire anithesis of OP).

In the case of der Film's example, even if Miho had won in that final scene, I think the show will still have established the point of Darjeeling and Katyusha being the better tacticians. The point when they established the dominant position on top of the "stairwell" was game over as far as the tactical part of the fight is concerned. After that is Miho trying to pull a desperate win out of a losing position and it proved to be just not good enough.

Either way, however, I hope any rematch does not look like der Film. I want to see both sides' advantages in full play and given full weight. I can be fine with either conclusion but PLEASE fill essay out properly.
arkhangelsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-29, 02:16   Link #28
Brother Coa
Banned

YYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it they will do with this, season 2 here we come.

World Tournament is going to be so much awesome. And this better be 24 episodes series or else the fanbase will RAEG.

But seriously, giving the scale of things now 24 episodes would be so much reasonable thing to do. Especially after the success that was anime and the movie, assuring founds for 24 episode format.
Brother Coa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-29, 18:25   Link #29
Hata
時の異邦人

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Coa View Post
YYYYYYEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew it they will do with this, season 2 here we come.

World Tournament is going to be so much awesome. And this better be 24 episodes series or else the fanbase will RAEG.

But seriously, giving the scale of things now 24 episodes would be so much reasonable thing to do. Especially after the success that was anime and the movie, assuring founds for 24 episode format.
according to a translation of a post of someone who had seen the promo footage of the sequel, (so treat this as a rumor)

the movie story time is winter, or after the transfer of student council to 3 of the Anko team, (Japan school do this usually after fall festival, around Oct-Nov) Saori is the announcer? and also part of the student council, but this is before the third year senior graduate, (March) so they are still around, which explains the inclusion of Momo in the picture capture from the promo video,

two things from that video

1. it was something sudden and big, (so probably nothing like a scheduled tournament)
2. the ship Momo was in is a SUBMARINE,
Old 2016-08-29, 20:28   Link #30
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by arkhangelsk View Post
I like a little more closure myself
You think being unable to beat Darjeeling prevents the story or Miho's character from getting closure? That doesn't make any sense. It's not like Darjeeling is her main rival or anything. She's just a side character, and the fact that Miho never beat her is just a detail. It doesn't affect the story or Miho herself in any way.
Old 2016-08-29, 20:55   Link #31
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Miho likely has won the equivalent of a cultural victory. Darjeeling seems to be very much a Miho fan and likely the one who put out the call to reenforce Miho for "der Film". It sounds like something she'd do after she's been at all Miho's matches. She finds those matches much more entertaining than going against Maho (who has defeated Darjeeling).

As for the submarine, could it means the French teams are involved?
Old 2016-08-29, 21:20   Link #32
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Miho likely has won the equivalent of a cultural victory.
I guess she's fun going against because she's sort of unconventional. I wouldn't take that out of proportion though. Being liked by everyone is MC privilege in the end.
Old 2016-08-29, 23:24   Link #33
arkhangelsk

Quote:
You think being unable to beat Darjeeling prevents the story or Miho's character from getting closure? That doesn't make any sense. It's not like Darjeeling is her main rival or anything. She's just a side character, and the fact that Miho never beat her is just a detail. It doesn't affect the story or Miho herself in any way.
It does represent an "unsolved problem" for Oarai as a whole, which is by itself a non-closure. And you have to remember, all other issues in GuP are at least temporarily closed at this time, so Darjeeling is not exactly secondary here. Also remember, I don't even think Miho is OP. In fact, I think relative to her competitors, taking into full consideration the extra years she had, Miho's talents as a company or battalion commander (not leader) is below average.

Still, I'll be willing to pass that up. The main reason I want a next fight is that I really didn't like the 2nd fight, which I feel wound up selling both sides short. I want to see Darjeeling's team either a) actually learn to have a firing range of over ~30m or b) Darjeeling coming up with tactics to overcome this handicap rather than c) Oarai's firing being put through an "Offensive Assist System" and d) Oarai's allies literally leaping into the firing lane to save Darjeeling.

When Oarai sets up a defensive position, I want to see the opposition use tactics like envelopment to break it rather than the combination of an "Offensive Assist System" and buffed resistance. I don't want to see the laws of physics changed in a non-normative fashion so a roadblock is not a roadblock.

Overall, I couldn't shake the sense that Oarai was deliberately nerfed by the author, which sells them short. But it also sells Darjeeling short since it deprives her of the chance to show she can win against Oarai at its full strength (and I think Darjeeling is capable of doing that and fulfilling the author's intended theme for this subject). So yes I do want a third fight and I don't think they'll be letting Darjeeling win that 3rd one, yet I think Darjeeling will look better in my eyes losing that one well than in the present form.
Old 2016-08-30, 00:11   Link #34
Kazu-kun

Quote:
It does represent an "unsolved problem" for Oarai as a whole, which is by itself a non-closure.
I disagree about that. A "problem" in a narrative sense is a conflict to drive a plot. It's not just any problem, but a problem that needs to be resolved because it would be troubling for the protagonists if it doesn't. Getting the school closed down is one such problem. Miho's personal issues with her family is too. Not beating Darjeeling is not. Nothing troubling will happen to the protagonists if they don't beat her, so they don't have to accomplish that to get closure.
Old 2016-08-30, 00:41   Link #35
skaianDestiny

Quote:
It does represent an "unsolved problem" for Oarai as a whole, which is by itself a non-closure. And you have to remember, all other issues in GuP are at least temporarily closed at this time, so Darjeeling is not exactly secondary here.
How is not beating Darjeeling a problem? How does it inconvenience Ooarai in any way aside from superficial consequences?

What? Is she holding their families hostage and is going to force them to drink the worst tea imaginable unless they beat her?
skaianDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 03:34   Link #36
arkhangelsk

Quote:
I disagree about that. A "problem" in a narrative sense is a conflict to drive a plot. It's not just any problem, but a problem that needs to be resolved because it would be troubling for the protagonists if it doesn't. Getting the school closed down is one such problem. Miho's personal issues with her family is too. Not beating Darjeeling is not. Nothing troubling will happen to the protagonists if they don't beat her, so they don't have to accomplish that to get closure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaianDestiny View Post
How is not beating Darjeeling a problem? How does it inconvenience Ooarai in any way aside from superficial consequences?

What? Is she holding their families hostage and is going to force them to drink the worst tea imaginable unless they beat her?
I think here we are getting into "big" and "small" definitions of problem and by your standards many sports, slice of life and comedy anime will have no "problems" to close at all!

IMO, for it to qualify as an problem, it only needs to be an issue the show presented that attracted interest. A team that won twice against the protagonists, regardless of circumstances would seem to qualify. Especially if it can attract people to say " Miho still hasn't defeated Darjeeling in combat." or " I like that she can't beat her."

By the way, technically, it is possible to "close" an issue without beating it. But Girls und Panzer is a show of simplicity (if it was playing complicated, KMM would have won), and the "win after loss" solution is still the most conventional, easiest closure.

But really, I have a question. Are we really quibbling over how big a problem has to be to qualify as worthy of closure, or do you two have some real reasons you either want Darjeeling to win a third match or to leave this issue in its present state?
Old 2016-08-30, 03:53   Link #37
Kazu-kun

Quote:
I think here we are getting into "big" and "small" definitions of problem and by your standards many sports, slice of life and comedy anime will have no "problems" to close at all!
GuP is not a conventional sport anime. In a typical sport anime, the main point of the show is to win competitions. GuP's not like that. Both the tv show and movie stablish actual conflicts to drive the narrative (like stopping the school from closing down), so winning the competition becomes a means to an end, not the goal itself.

In that kind of narrative, not beating a particular opponent is irrelevant. What's important is that the protagonists achieve their actual goal. That's all the story needs to get closure.

Also, do we even know that Darjeeling herself will be competing in the second season? She might be in her third year, in which case she will probably step down from the team.

Last edited by Kazu-kun; 2016-08-30 at 04:04.
Kazu-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 04:05   Link #38
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:

IMO, for it to qualify as an problem, it only needs to be an issue the show presented that attracted interest. A team that won twice against the protagonists, regardless of circumstances would seem to qualify. Especially if it can attract people to say " Miho still hasn't defeated Darjeeling in combat." or " I like that she can't beat her."

By the way, technically, it is possible to "close" an issue without beating it. But Girls und Panzer is a show of simplicity (if it was playing complicated, KMM would have won), and the "win after loss" solution is still the most conventional, easiest closure.

But really, I have a question. Are we really quibbling over how big a problem has to be to qualify as worthy of closure, or do you two have some real reasons you either want Darjeeling to win a third match or to leave this issue in its present state?
Some sport series don’t have to end with MCs beating his/her/their main rivals for it to be good and on-point. See the inspiring, massively-praised and successful Hikaru no Go, among others. Also, it’s not just complicated series who did that. A simple sport anime for kids like Ganbare, Kickers! did that too, and there’s nothing wrong with that coz some sport series prefer to focus on the MC’s growth as a goal rather than beating the enemy/rival. So it was never a problem, narrative-wise.
Old 2016-08-30, 04:33   Link #39
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

I just couldn't resist when it comes to shouting happiness at the news.

Since this season points to the third and last high school year, I would like to see Miho finally be able to find the gap in that Churchill's armor in a test match before those new opponents are thrown into the mix. Hopefully, we'll see Maple making their anime debut.

Just as someone mentioned before, I would like to see 1st-years coming through and show us they are ready to hold the torch high after the passing. After all the publicity Ooarai earned with that special match in Der Film, there has to be an influx of good candidates who want to join the reigning champions and/or express themselves in sensha-do as much as Miho does.

In any case, I can't wait!
KiraYamatoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-08-30, 05:08   Link #40
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Some sport series don’t have to end with MCs beating his/her/their main rivals for it to be good and on-point. See the inspiring, massively-praised and successful Hikaru no Go, among others. Also, it’s not just complicated series who did that. A simple sport anime for kids like Ganbare, Kickers! did that too, and there’s nothing wrong with that coz some sport series prefer to focus on the MC’s growth as a goal rather than beating the enemy/rival. So it was never a problem, narrative-wise.
In Para 3 of the post you quoted, I specifically mentioned closure does not necessarily mean "beating it" (victory). I hadn't watched Ganbare, but I did watch Hikaru and at least two other anime whose names I've forgotten where the "underdog protagonist" did not win. I even said in other posts that I would be OK as long as it was actually quality this time.

However, it is still the more complex of two options to write and in my (limited) experience requires preconditions like the target being so far ahead that it is really indefensible (even by the standards of such anime) for the protagonist to grow to beat them in the allocated time. In HnG, Akira had been working all his life on Go and Hikaru just started for a year or two. Similarly, the other two anime's "targets" were very strong teams and the Wiki suggests Ganbare is in that mold - it also seems the protagonist team in Ganbare made it the following year (the real closure was just "cut off" by the anime's limited run).

That's a road NOT taken with Darjeeling and St. Glorianna. St. Glorianna is depicted as calmer, but in terms of "player skill" not massively superior.