AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-05-27, 09:51   Link #661
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
I want to highlight the really neat animation in the cuts where the students where telling each other about the concert. They were animated by BahiJD, a foreign animator that started on gifs and found a place as key animator for this show.

Sometimes I think people don't give animation the recognition that it deserves in an audiovisual medium such as anime, thus I wrote this.
Thank you for that. It's always nice to have a name to these awesome animated cuts. I loved how the students moved in those scenes. Not only fluid but lively and detailed.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 10:58   Link #662
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I watched the duet again. While I loved a number of the musical performances in Nodame Cantabile, I have to say this is the single best depiction of a musical performance I've ever seen in an anime. A couple of Chiaki's conducting performances come close, though.

Does anyone know who is playing the piano in this segment? Kanno herself, or Matsunaga Katahashi, who is listed at ANN? Could they be splitting Kaoru's performances with Kanno doing the jazz numbers and Matsunaga playing the classical pieces? I presume the drummer continues to be Ishikawa Shun.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 11:09   Link #663
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I watched the duet again. While I loved a number of the musical performances in Nodame Cantabile, I have to say this is the single best depiction of a musical performance I've ever seen in an anime. A couple of Chiaki's conducting performances come close, though.

Does anyone know who is playing the piano in this segment? Kanno herself, or Matsunaga Katahashi, who is listed at ANN? Could they be splitting Kaoru's performances with Kanno doing the jazz numbers and Matsunaga playing the classical pieces? I presume the drummer continues to be Ishikawa Shun.
The drums and piano are played by the people listed on ANN: They're both really young talented Jazz musicians that Kanno picked out herself, and video recordings of them playing (I hear there were 12 cameras set up around the drumset) are what were used as the basis for the animation.

I heard them do a version of the duet live at the noitaminA kickoff press conference/announcement two months ago.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 13:48   Link #664
Dop
Mmmm....

Oh my god, that duet medley was just the most wonderful sequence ever. When the episode was over I had to go back and watch that part again. It just felt so real!
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 15:56   Link #665
ujiuji

Quote:
I want to highlight the really neat animation in the cuts where the students where telling each other about the concert. They were animated by BahiJD, a foreign animator that started on gifs and found a place as key animator for this show.

Sometimes I think people don't give animation the recognition that it deserves in an audiovisual medium such as anime, thus I wrote this.
Thanks, not only were they technically well animated but they conveyed the students' feelings of excitement perfectly. High quality animation for its own sake is one thing, and can be pleasing to watch, but when it communicates, that's when it becomes art. (In my opinion.)
ujiuji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 16:08   Link #666
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarkboy View Post
The drums and piano are played by the people listed on ANN: They're both really young talented Jazz musicians that Kanno picked out herself, and video recordings of them playing (I hear there were 12 cameras set up around the drumset) are what were used as the basis for the animation.
The sequence in episode one that i used for my recent Sen avatar is animated "on the ones!"

Every frame is different from its predecessor, some just subtly so. One frame captures simply a shoulder movement, and occasionally the camera itself moves up and down as Sen lifts and drops his body during the complete performance (at 18:00). Most televised shows duplicate each frame two or three times to save money, in essence reducing the theoretical 24 frames/second maximum down to twelve or eight frames. It's very expensive to animate every single frame. Maybe using live-action as the foundation makes it cheaper, but maybe not. Folks with production knowledge, chime in here please!

I haven't captured the frames from the duet, but I'm willing to bet it's animated on the ones as well. How will this show ever earn its money back?

Quote:
I heard them do a version of the duet live at the noitaminA kickoff press conference/announcement two months ago.
That's that "charm" quark at work again, isn't it, QB?

While I have you here, can I ask you why Crunchyroll doesn't subtitle the OP and ED? I'm guessing there are rights issues involved (when are there not?), but maybe I'm off base.

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2012-05-27 at 16:20.
Old 2012-05-27, 16:38   Link #667
kuromitsu

Quote:
Folks with production knowledge, chime in here please!
I'm no animation expert, but these scenes seem like rotoscope. Basically, they record the actual musicians playing, and then add an animation layover, essentially "painting over" the musicians/equipment/etc. to look like they're animated. I have no idea how time-consuming or difficult this is, as most of the animation layover is probably done by computers...
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 16:53   Link #668
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:

Glad to know I wasn't the only one to notice that. Those frames were beautifully animated and I personally found them a lot more interesting than the piano and drum playing scenes. Don't get me wrong since the piano and drum playing was absolutely amazing as well but that was to be expected since we know that it's rotoscoped. The fluidity of those small takes on the other hand reminded me of the animation in some of the more interesting animated movies I've seen.
Old 2012-05-27, 17:06   Link #669
LKK

Quote:
While I have you here, can I ask you why Crunchyroll doesn't subtitle the OP and ED? I'm guessing there are rights issues involved (when are there not?), but maybe I'm off base.
Starting with episode 7, CR subtitled the OP & ED. No guesses on my part as to why they weren't done earlier.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 17:24   Link #670
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Starting with episode 7, CR subtitled the OP & ED. No guesses on my part as to why they weren't done earlier.
Ah, so they did! Still other shows are equally far along and the OP and ED have no subtitles. Neither Tsuritama nor Uchuu Kyoudai have them. Sakamichi no Apollon seems specially blessed, and it took seven episodes.
Old 2012-05-27, 18:20   Link #671
ApathyEcstasy

That performance scene seriously made me jizz my pants hard.
ApathyEcstasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 18:35   Link #672
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
The sequence in episode one that i used for my recent Sen avatar is animated "on the ones!"

Every frame is different from its predecessor, some just subtly so. One frame captures simply a shoulder movement, and occasionally the camera itself moves up and down as Sen lifts and drops his body during the complete performance (at 18:00). Most televised shows duplicate each frame two or three times to save money, in essence reducing the theoretical 24 frames/second maximum down to twelve or eight frames. It's very expensive to animate every single frame. Maybe using live-action as the foundation makes it cheaper, but maybe not. Folks with production knowledge, chime in here please!

I haven't captured the frames from the duet, but I'm willing to bet it's animated on the ones as well. How will this show ever earn its money back?.
Just to be clear, this anime, as well, duplicates and replicates frames probably for the vast majority of scenes. Indeed, the majority of the indivudual segments during this performance have replicated frames, such as the views of the students standing watching, Ritsuko and her memories, etc., and even the far away views of Karou and Sentarou playing. The segments of the students running to the performance are a mix of single and duplicate frames.

But the closeups segments of Karou's fingers on the keyboard, as well as the closeups of Sentarou's drumming, are almost completely frame by frame animation. The closeup frames of Karou's fingers are, for the most part, more distinctly individual than the closeup frames of Sentarou drumming, with Karou's fingers moving from key to key. Many of the Sentarou frames were almost identical to the last one, but with very subtle changes, such as a slight cymbal movement. This is understandable, though, because even a 24 frame/sec camera couldn't capture all of the movement of those drumsticks because they are going way to fast for the camera to keep up with, so it's still very realistic.

Spoiler for more frame by frame discussion involving other animes:
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 19:04   Link #673
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Maybe because the ED lyrics seem to completely spoil the ending? Not a manga reader, no worries.
Guardian Enzo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-27, 21:08   Link #674
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Maybe because the ED lyrics seem to completely spoil the ending? Not a manga reader, no worries.
Actually it was just the usual: waiting for approvals for the opening lyric translations.
Fuji didn't want to just subtitle the ending without the opening.

Later this week actually CR should be replacing the video with versions that include the next episode previews, and when we update the scripts I'll retroactively add in the OP Ed lyrics on all episodes.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 11:34   Link #675
Somnus
Eh?

So I just saw eps 6 & 7 for the first time (well, ep 7's final 5 mins were repeated an indeterminate number of times), and aside from the usual "This show is pure joy" I have a couple comments.

For 6 I felt the end drama was a little too much, but the fact Kaoru acknowledged it by saying, "I know acted like a little kid" softened what could have been a very similar reaction to his reaction. Though my BIGGEST comment for that episode is the following:

I was dying for the rest of the "My favourite things" duet. Thought I was a fantastic reference when they heard it through the window, but became infinitely greedy for more when they started playing it together.

For episode 7, my first comment would be that I like Yurika to no end. No faulting Sentaro for falling for her. However, my major comment would be this:

If this episode has convinced me of anything, it's that I could easily watch an entire episode of them playing, just as they did that incredible medley. I also shuddered at the nostalgia I felt when Ri'ko described the music (the princes arguing). It instantly brought me back to Nodame, and everything I loved about it.
Old 2012-05-28, 19:14   Link #676
Master Chibi
.: A bad doggy :.

oh my god

oh my fucking god at this show

Nodame was great, but the 5 minute duet in this week's episode was just something else.

It had actual feeling and emotion and SOUL attached to it. I'm not talking about soul in a musical sense either, I mean it had honest to god life. This show is freaking unbelievable.

Updated once a week - http://pishi.wordpress.com/
Last updated - 5/30/10 - Random Manga Roulette!
Master Chibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-28, 22:14   Link #677
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Wow both Sentarou and Kaoru rocking the house

But what is going on with Jun
Old 2012-05-29, 23:47   Link #678
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

I am SO happy that I finally got around to watching this series. Watched all 7 episodes in a single sitting. This quickly became my most favorite show of the season (and I'm watching more series at once this season than I ever have before). I'm not a manga reader, but I can tell that the story went a little quickly in some places here and there (and TAD heavy on the drama in select scenes in an episode or two), but those moments are few and were all handled in the best way possible, imo.

This show is simply amazing. I've read around on other sites and some reviewers find the visuals (maybe they mean the character designs in particular?) bland. I highly disagree. Less is more, and the animation for the playing sequences is really something else. All of the music in the show is appropriate and fantastic. Even though the OP nor the ED are of the jazz genre, they're both great and fit the show ridiculously well. And the BGM's just right regardless of what's going on in the scene. (My particular favorite is the sad music that plays while Kaoru is eating the onigiri Ritsuko made him on the train in epi 5 -- I actually teared up. Same goes for the scene with the tearful goodbye between him and his mother.)

And don't even get me started on that amazing duet in epi 7. I agree with what someone else said in earlier in that every episode lately feels like it was the last one in a way. I felt like I was watching a movie, and that duet was the big finale that saved the day or something.

It's going to be painful waiting for new episodes to this! Just an all-around classy show. The quality to be found here just shines.
Old 2012-05-30, 03:46   Link #679
Kitsu Breaker

This is a fuyoshi serie, right? I mean, the bromance are powerfull in this one

This two girls have the best sax life
FIGHT FOR THE YURI
Kitsu Breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-30, 10:02   Link #680
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

It's a sad world we live in when the slightest hint of friendship between men is instantly construed as homosexual.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
josei, shoujo, slice of life