AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

View Poll Results: What's your favourite banner background for Summer?
2 1.32%
8 5.30%
3 1.99%
16 10.60%
23 15.23%
53 35.10%
5 3.31%
13 8.61%
2 1.32%
6 3.97%
9 5.96%
4 2.65%
7 4.64%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2014-05-06, 08:55   Link #21
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I have to be honest... I'm pretty disappointed at what is far and away in the lead right now.

Blue fading into White makes people think Summer? In my view, it would be perfect for Winter.

So it's not a bad gradient. These are all good gradients in a vacuum. But that's probably the least Summer-esque gradient up there.
Old 2014-05-06, 10:45   Link #22
milan kyuubi
Call me MK! :)
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I have to be honest... I'm pretty disappointed at what is far and away in the lead right now.

Blue fading into White makes people think Summer? In my view, it would be perfect for Winter.

So it's not a bad gradient. These are all good gradients in a vacuum. But that's probably the least Summer-esque gradient up there.
I agree. That's why I tried my best to put at least some amount of yellow/orange in my gradients.

Tho it would be quite a challenge to to work with that kind of gradient, and make it all summer like!

All the gradients are very good. It's just, that gradient pulls more towards color blue. Which everyone agreed against. Since we had a lot of amount of bluish gradients/banners already.
Old 2014-05-06, 13:08   Link #23
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:

It probably makes people think of a clear blue sky which they associate with summer. Plus I think it would fit in the most with those that use a blue forum (like me).
Old 2014-05-06, 13:13   Link #24
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
It probably makes people think of a clear blue sky which they associate with summer.
You can have clear blue skies anytime of year. So I don't see any good reason for it to be associated with summer in particular.

And if blue fading into white represents Summer, then what could possibly represent Winter? "White" is a wintery color for obvious reasons, and "blue" tends to give off a cool feeling relative to warmer colors like red, orange, and yellow.

Besides, like milan kyubi wrote, we've had a lot of bluish gradients already. It would be nice to have a change from that.
Old 2014-05-06, 13:19   Link #25
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
You can have clear blue skies anytime of year. And if blue fading into white represents Summer, then what could possibly represent Winter? "White" is a wintery color for obvious reasons, and "blue" tends to give off a cool feeling relative to colors like red, orange, and yellow.

Besides, like milan kyubi wrote, we've had a lot of bluish gradients already. It's time for a change.
Hey I didn't vote for it!

Really I think blue-white works for both Summer and Winter, just in different ways (Though personally, I'd prefer a darker blue for Winter). Sure it's lazy but it works. I'm sure a lot of people do want a change but evidently a lot of people don't!

Quote:
You can have clear blue skies anytime of year.
Not in the cloudy north west of England, where it's always cloudy. XP

[edit]

For the record, I voted for the Orange one but for me it was either that or Blue-White, so I understand people wanting to vote for Blue-white.
Old 2014-05-06, 13:26   Link #26
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:

Really I think blue-white works for both Summer and Winter, just in different ways (Though personally, I'd prefer a darker blue for Winter).
If you have if for both, with only a darker shade for Winter, then I don't think that does a good job of distinguishing between two very different seasons.

So I don't think it works that well for Summer.

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of people do want a change but evidently a lot of people don't!
Then what's the point of having seasonal banners? If they're all going to have similar color schemes (just so it matches the general forum skin of blue/beige/grey) then seasonal differentiation won't stand out well. It defeats the entire purpose of having seasonal banners, imo.
Old 2014-05-06, 13:37   Link #27
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
If you have if for both, with only a darker shade for Winter, then I don't think that does a good job of distinguishing between two very different seasons.

So I don't think it works that well for Summer.
Quote:
Don't you think red, yellow, and orange better reflect Summer than blue? Summer is obviously known for its heat and its warmth. It should be represented by a warm color like red, yellow, or orange.
Personally speaking I do think those colours better represent Summer but I also think those colours don't match as well with the rest of the forum and that has been noticeable for me in the past (i.e. the Halloween banners had Blue-Black which was very jarring when comparing it to the rest of the forum which was Blue-White, despite Black obviously being the best colour for Halloween banners), so it's a matter of weighing it up, and deciding what you care about more.

Quote:
Then what's the point of having seasonal banners? If they're all going to have basically the same color (so it matches the general forum skin of blue/beige) then seasonal differentiation won't stand out at all. It defeats the entire purpose of having seasonal banners, imo.
Well I think having different pictures is good enough for me really. At the least it never really crossed my mind that the gradient ought to be different, until now.
Old 2014-05-06, 13:48   Link #28
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Personally speaking I do think those colours better represent Summer but I also think those colours don't match as well with the rest of the forum and that has been noticeable for me in the past (i.e. the Halloween banners had Blue-Black which was very jarring when comparing it to the rest of the forum which was Blue-White, despite Black obviously being the best colour for Halloween banners), so it's a matter of weighing it up, and deciding what you care about more.
Due to the range of selections, those favoring "going with the season" over "going with the overall forum look" will get their votes divided up more (since there's *a lot* of orange and/or yellow gradients up there while there's only one blue/white). Just an observation.
Old 2014-05-06, 16:07   Link #29
MK-95-
Best Girl Connoisseur

My vote has been cast.
"When there is evil in this world that justice cannot defeat, would you taint your hands with evil to defeat evil? Or would you remain steadfast and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?" - Lelouch vi Britannia as Zero.
Old 2014-05-06, 20:16   Link #30
Frailty
Constellation
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
the Halloween banners had Blue-Black which was very jarring when comparing it to the rest of the forum which was Blue-White, despite Black obviously being the best colour for Halloween banners
IIRC, the Halloween banners and the Winter banners are included together. That's probably why they have the same gradient despite them being different themes.

anyway, I have casted my vote as well. Man, that's a landslide lead from the blue to yellow gradient

Old 2014-05-06, 20:43   Link #31
blaze0041
a.k.a. Flammenkrieg
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frailty View Post
IIRC, the Halloween banners and the Winter banners are included together. That's probably why they have the same gradient despite them being different themes.

anyway, I have casted my vote as well. Man, that's a landslide lead from the blue to yellow gradient
I think it was actually the Halloween and Fall banners that were bundled together... and the Winter gradient used the last contest was the same as the one used back in 2004...

I'm finding it quite interesting with the way the voting has gone so far. If anything, the currently winning gradient reminds of a sunrise over the beach, something I strongly associate with a summer's day.
Any of the gradients with orange would definitely be a good second choice... I'm assuming that orange was definitely pulled off well way back in the Halloween 2006 contest.
Looking a little more closely, I don't think this forum has ever had a summer-themed contest, right?
Old 2014-05-06, 23:35   Link #32
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
You can have clear blue skies anytime of year. So I don't see any good reason for it to be associated with summer in particular.

And if blue fading into white represents Summer, then what could possibly represent Winter? "White" is a wintery color for obvious reasons, and "blue" tends to give off a cool feeling relative to warmer colors like red, orange, and yellow.

Besides, like milan kyubi wrote, we've had a lot of bluish gradients already. It would be nice to have a change from that.
Personally it reminds me a bit of the beach and anything that reminds me of the beach is a winner. Though I did vote for the pinkish one.
Old 2014-05-07, 02:30   Link #33
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Any of the gradients with orange would definitely be a good second choice... I'm assuming that orange was definitely pulled off well way back in the Halloween 2006 contest.
That is a much darker orange though, a brownish kind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze0041 View Post
Looking a little more closely, I don't think this forum has ever had a summer-themed contest, right?
We've run contests for all seasons minus summer. With this the cycle is complete so next banner's competition may come with a different theme other than "seasons".
Old 2014-05-07, 09:13   Link #34
Reverzer0
Sleeping

just want to try different angle/perspective from the gradient i submitted! anyway, good luck to those who are joining to the beachy main event",
Old 2014-05-07, 10:39   Link #35
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

I agree with blaze and ahelo regarding the beach thingy since it's also instantly crossed my mind when I saw the gradient. It's also a perfect fit for both of the forum's skins I almost feel like the blue and the yellow colors are picked from the skins.

But well, different person, different opinion, and different preference. Personally I want a yellow-white gradient to represent sun and cloud. Orange seems to be more suitable for afternoon / dawn / dusk / fall season for me and green is more akin to spring IMO. But I think any color could work if done correctly (the choices of colors, hue, saturation level, etc.). This is why I picked up the blue one. That yellowish underside did a good job to give an impression of a beach.
Old 2014-05-07, 15:58   Link #36
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

My problem with the blue gradient is that I having hard time to see what kind of "summer " banner it will produce. Outside maybe swimsuit theme. But I let artist to decide.

It does give feel of "cool summer" instead "hot summer"

Old 2014-05-09, 06:00   Link #37
Triple_R
*Author

Blue fading into a light yellow is in fact something that I could see effectively representing Summer and "sky over beach". But I'm not seeing even the slightest hint of yellow in that gradient. I keep looking at it, and I'm honestly wondering where people are seeing the yellow.
Old 2014-05-09, 19:22   Link #38
Ryonea
Smiling beauty
*Graphic Designer

The color's shade is very light (actually it's lime-green if color-picked).

You can see it by putting the gradient URL into the test page, especially the blue one. Or by enhancing the colors to make it more visible, like this.
Old 2014-05-10, 19:30   Link #39
Triple_R
*Author

@Ryonea

I don't really see a difference through putting it into the test page.

But I do see a slight difference through your "enhancing the colors" link. It feels a little less cold to me when its colors are enhanced. The... tint(?) feels a bit warmer to me with enhanced colors. So thanks for sharing that.

This is just my own personal opinion, of course, but I much prefer the "enhancing the colors" look for that gradient (for a Summer banner anyway). What do other people here think?
Old 2014-05-10, 20:14   Link #40
kakakka

Quote:
Purple'ish fading white can work with Winter too.

Red and Orange works well with autumn imo. Greenish for spring.

Light Blue represent clear sky. Yellowish fade underneath is much suitable than white for summer.
Closed Thread