AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > K-On!

Notices

View Poll Results: K-On! - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 25 24.75%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 24.75%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 24 23.76%
7 out of 10 : Good 14 13.86%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 4.95%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 4 3.96%
4 out of 10 : Poor 2 1.98%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 0.99%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.99%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2009-06-06, 08:40   Link #61
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchibi07 View Post
I seriously doubt the groping part was cut out. KyoAni doesn't seem to be the type to pull gratuitous fanservice.
They also took of Azusa's butt shot.
Old 2009-06-06, 09:46   Link #62
Patriot's Blade
its Ghost Madoka time!!!

Send a message via Yahoo to Patriot's Blade
maybe its just censors, most notable like the infamous "Mio's ricebowl" scene
& maybe they will fix it later in the dvds, mmm.... i hope it includes the Mugi in a kimono scene....

& the Sawa-sensei getting knocked-out in the bath scene looks suspicious, hmmm..... ~dun-dun-dun~ ......
"legends said that Alto Saotome made a correct decision, he left both Ranka Lee & Sheryl Nome to marry the skies & proceed to make love with her, it was a long sight to behold according to the witnesses, the sky is now pregnant"
Old 2009-06-06, 11:51   Link #63
Miraluka
Banned

Sigh... more fanservice.... Tsumugi had a stupid face many times XS.
Old 2009-06-06, 12:59   Link #64
stubby42

I loved this episode, one of the biggest problems this show has suffered from is that it broke its contract with the audience. The first couple of episodes were about the relationships between the girls and fan service played a very minor part (if any at all), then they suddenly decided they needed to cram it down our throats in the hope of attracting the demographic that will spend vast amounts of money on merchaindise.

I've enjoyed the past few episodes because they got back to what the serries was really about, Azusa's difficulty with ajusting to the is a great plotline. she wants to be a successful muscian and shes far from certain the light music club will get her there.

For everyone who keeps complaining about the lack of them practicing, the shows never really been about that and two animating people playing instruments is expensive because of the sheer amount of detail required the show doesnt have the budget to do that every single episode.

What you'll get is a final episode where we are blown away by the sheer awesomeness of the preformance and animation, wait till then because listening to peoples complaints is getting pretty boring espcially when its blatantly obvious why they're not doing it.
Old 2009-06-06, 14:34   Link #65
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post

What you'll get is a final episode where we are blown away by the sheer awesomeness of the preformance and animation, wait till then because listening to peoples complaints is getting pretty boring espcially when its blatantly obvious why they're not doing it.
Yes it's very obvious there's going to be a shiny sequence at the end of it all as every Kyoani series has that one moment that is way above the calibre of the rest of a given series animation (and sometimes plot and character) wise to try and make people forget about the rest of the not so good parts of the show, but it always seems like it comes to little too late and after a lot of let down for me.

Sorry, but one episode or moment of awesome can't really save 75% of a series that has left me out in the cold as it can for some people. It doesn't have to be this way. It can improve on a given arc or episode, but I still say that it's not necessary to skimp on the quality content of the majority of a series just so you can try and "blow people away" with the final episode in a way that is probably made possible by the fact that relative to the rest of the series it looks and feels vastly superior.

Of course all of what I've said hinges on the last episode actually going above and beyond what we've had so far.
Old 2009-06-06, 16:31   Link #66
CynicalDurian

i was so bored watching this episode i decided to think ahead to what they'll do with the remaining episodes, i figured there'd still be time for a 'major crisis', a resolution and a big live performance to finish with.

imagine my joy during the preview to learn the next episode is indeed entitled 'Crisis!' X_X
Old 2009-06-06, 17:22   Link #67
stubby42

Quote:
I still say that it's not necessary to skimp on the quality content of the majority of a series just so you can try and "blow people away" with the final episode in a way that is probably made possible by the fact that relative to the rest of the series it looks and feels vastly superior.
If they were to have them practicing (and the audience seeing them play) they would of had to of cut cost in other places, which means lowering the quality of the animation and having less episodes.

Look at beck, on the story was good (despite the lack luster ending) but it looked like crap, the animation was terrible and that happened because they choose to have more episodes (argueably than they needed) and because they wanted to show them playing.

K-on! has never, ever been about the girls trying to become a successful band their largely just playing for fun. What K-on! was always about is the relationships between each other, spending a long time watching them practice would just get in the way of the main story (which has always been written as them being out right lazy).

Kaioshin your smart you know just as well as I do that this is buisness, k-on! isnt art, its designed to be a hit show, who's earnings will prop up all the shows the network commissioned that failed.
Old 2009-06-06, 18:01   Link #68
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Wait, there are people still clinging on the ideal that anime is and should be art?
Old 2009-06-06, 18:06   Link #69
stubby42

I'd say expecting the show to have the girls playing instruments through out the show or being angry that their building up to a moment of awesomeness at the end is hanging onto the idea that its art.

The fact is everything they've done are very solid buisness decisions.
Old 2009-06-06, 19:51   Link #70
Jaden

K-ON is a good series if you take it for what it is and don't think about what it could have been. I expected something a little more artistic at first and got disappointed. But I still keep watching and enjoy it, even these eps that have nothing going on in the plot or character development.
Old 2009-06-06, 20:14   Link #71
yezhanquan
Observer/Bookman wannabe

Personally, I'm in only to see the gags from the manga being animated. Beyond that, and the songs, everything is taken with a pinch of salt.
Old 2009-06-06, 22:19   Link #72
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
As I have said many times before, my disappointment is in this series failing to even be all that above average in what it is trying to be as a light and fluffy 4Koma gag piece. The bits are being recycled, the premise is running thin, the character portrayals are starting to inch slightly toward the annoying.....it's just petered out. I don't know how else I am supposed to look at it to have a more favourable view of the past 6-7 episodes give or take a couple. No I don't think it's supposed to be an art piece or that the girls need to always be playing instruments and I never did (that's something people are attributing to my analysis), I just don't see why it needs to feel subpar even for an anime with little to no ambition.

tl;dr: Even taking K-On at what it is trying to be and what it has done I still find it to be a medicore to average series for the most part.
Old 2009-06-06, 22:52   Link #73
Tatiana Razajev
Karen

Send a message via AIM to Tatiana Razajev
It's nice to know that Ui is really fond of her sister Yui. Azusa looks good in a tan. More bonding between Ritsu and Yui. Those two go well together. It's too bad they couldn't have taken Ui along as well.
Old 2009-06-06, 23:42   Link #74
Lostdreams

lol, are they really gonna show the training camp 4 times in 20 something odd episodes? Recruit 3 more times in the anime? I wanna see some concerts!!!
Old 2009-06-07, 00:48   Link #75
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubby42 View Post
If they were to have them practicing (and the audience seeing them play) they would of had to of cut cost in other places, which means lowering the quality of the animation and having less episodes.

Look at beck, on the story was good (despite the lack luster ending) but it looked like crap, the animation was terrible and that happened because they choose to have more episodes (argueably than they needed) and because they wanted to show them playing.

K-on! has never, ever been about the girls trying to become a successful band their largely just playing for fun. What K-on! was always about is the relationships between each other, spending a long time watching them practice would just get in the way of the main story (which has always been written as them being out right lazy).

Kaioshin your smart you know just as well as I do that this is buisness, k-on! isnt art, its designed to be a hit show, who's earnings will prop up all the shows the network commissioned that failed.
I've already come to terms with the fact that K-ON! is a show about nothing, and that there won't be any actual musical development and real growth of a band. I have to question though, what was point of making music one of the big selling points to begin with? It's like advertising a show about Gundamns with no actual Gundamns in it and the pilots all sit around on their asses continuously repeating age old gags that lost their charm the first ten times they performed them. Lucky Star was a show about nothing as well, but they didn't try to lasso in a different type of audience by tagging on an after thought of a plot device with it. That's what makes it more enjoyable in my opinion, I went into the show expecting to enjoy what they promised me, and I got just that.

I honestly don't understand both sides of the argument with K-ON! I don't really care about them not animating the band practicing every waking second anymore, I understand that's unreasonable budget wise and whatnot, and we'll probably get our over the top animated performance at the very last episode. I also don't understand why people keep trying to defend the mediocrity of the series, continuously responding to those who show even a tiny bit of negativity towards the series with "take it for what it is" and "it only took you 9 episodes to realize this is what K-ON! is about?" Both get tiresome to read about every single topic, but it's something that's inevitable, there's always going to be mixed feelings about this series.

What I wanted out of this series is for them to actually utilize what makes them different and unique from other Slices of Life out there, and that is their focus on music. Like I've said before, they really have shown that they can take use music to their advantage and create plenty of scenarios and gags that feel fresh and actually funny. Episode 5 and 8 come to mind, as I think those are the best episodes for this series. Instead they decide to reuse scenarios and gags again, trying to mask them by adding new characters and whatnot, or maybe not even mask them at all. At times, they'll even introduce interesting character quirks like Sawako's heavy metal persona, and completely get rid of it for something bland and annoying like her addiction to cosplay.

Honestly, at this point I would rather read the manga. It's much easier to swallow and enjoy the 4koma, because it literally takes a minute or two to read through a chapter, and thus the overuse of gags and such wouldn't bother me as much, hell they would probably make me chuckle. When it's in animated form however, I'm gonna tend to notice them through the course of 20 minutes, and the fact that the episode had points where it could have made the series something that it'll never be will always linger in my mind.

So have I accepted K-ON! for what it is? Yes. Am I going to downgrade my standards just to enjoy the series at the same level that most of the other fans of this series seems to be doing? No. Do I still enjoy the series? To a certain degree, the series has its moments that allow me to want to watch the next one for sure, but it's honestly too few and far between.

tl;dr - I'm butthurt about something that promoted music to not really involve music at all, but I'm still enjoying the series even if it's pretty mediocre in what it's actually trying to be anyways.
Old 2009-06-07, 04:07   Link #76
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

In a strange bit of irony, I also got neg repped for saying this was the worst episode of the series thus far, despite the fact that I STILL like watching it for what it's worth, and that Yui is still my Goddess of Rock.

Fanbois. tsk tsk.
Old 2009-06-07, 05:54   Link #77
stubby42

I've never liked the episodes that were focused on mio is so moe but this series has had some stand out moments, Azusa arc has probably been the strongest so far she has every possible reason to quit the club but she hasnt because theres something about them that draws her back.
Old 2009-06-07, 10:05   Link #78
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

K-On! doesn't have much light music? Well, I figured that part out a while ago. Music themed anime is hit or miss with sales. KyoAni has to keep the costs down and deliver something that their fanbase will buy. So that means SOL and moe with the music club as a backdrop.

The economy is bad so those scenes with the girls playing their instruments has to be kept at a minimum.

I still found the series to be a nice ride. Maybe the last ep will give what those wanting to see an animated concert what they wished for.
Old 2009-06-07, 12:21   Link #79
Eisdrache
Part-time misanthrope

Master chibi you know, if you dont enjoy the show, its not like we are forcing you to watch it :3

By the way, Azusa + tan = fail
Old 2009-06-07, 16:24   Link #80
OceanBlue
Not an expert on things

I'm going to have to agree with Kaioshin Sama and Master Chibi and especially with Tamad. I'm fine with the facts that the series isn't trying to be amazing or that it isn't really about music as it about the band, but I really feel like they're abusing their gags. I loved the first few episodes, but it's gotten stale.

So basically, I have Tamad's stance on this.
Closed Thread