AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2007-08-31, 02:54   Link #381
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I recently read Acacia Book I: The War With the Mein by David Anthony Durham. A very good read, but I was utterly disappointed with the end of the book. I felt the entire book was one big circular motion, if you know what I mean. I hope future books are more encouraging as to the fate of the Acacian empire's royal family.
Old 2007-08-31, 10:53   Link #382
faustianideals
Disabled By Request

I need a good book recommendation. I'm thinking about getting the Cult of Mac by Leander Kahney, but if anyone else can suggest a decent fiction novel then I will get it instead.

I bought Monster Volume 2 last week, read it and finished it last night, although that was a manga, which I don't read often. It was a welcome change from the hundreds of pages I usually read each day. It was well written, drawn, and I finished it in about 30 minutes, probably less, that's how motivated I was to read it. Check the series out if you're looking to get into manga.

Last book I read was Tale of the Body Thief by Anne Rice. It was an interesting read, although it will never compare to the greatness that was Queen of the Damned or The Vampire Lestat. I really liked how Anne Rice meshed the current time line with the wonderful descriptions of the past, that's what drew me into this series.
faustianideals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 11:36   Link #383
Kensuke

Latest book: Animal Farm by George Orwell, I had seen the animated film, and now finally read the book. Oh, boy, I don't anymore wonder why that book is so praised, knowing the history of certain regime in my neighboring country, a perfect satire.
Kensuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 12:18   Link #384
Lexander
www.thefestlanders.com

I have been reading this book:

I was happy to know I wasn't completely deluded.(or delusional grmr.?)

My most common delusion was Cleopatra. (Not egyptian! Greek.)
Lexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 20:32   Link #385
Loli Gurl

My teacher assigned us to read The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I haven't started it yet. Does anyone know if it's good?

I'm also reading Penguin Revolution by Sakura Tsukuba.
Loli Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 21:13   Link #386
Cmart
Green Beast of the East

Send a message via AIM to Cmart
Im reading Cry thy Beloved Country right now but it is boring
Cmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-08-31, 22:02   Link #387
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
World War Z if you hvent heard of it guess what its about
Yeah I heard of it. Isn't it like a book about the atuhor who interviewed people in a war against Zombies. Wait a minute didn't the author also write the zombie survival guide.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 20:42   Link #388
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
I've been reading Catcher in the Rye on my daily train ride.

Honestly, it was pretty good for the first half, but the last two dozen pages I read were just this heavy irritating rambling random babble for pages on pages on pages.

If it doesn't get better within the next 5 or 10 pages, I'm going to put it down, and put it on my list of most overrated books ever.
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 21:58   Link #389
Terrestrial Dream
勇者

Quote:
Originally Posted by complich8 View Post
I've been reading Catcher in the Rye on my daily train ride.

Honestly, it was pretty good for the first half, but the last two dozen pages I read were just this heavy irritating rambling random babble for pages on pages on pages.

If it doesn't get better within the next 5 or 10 pages, I'm going to put it down, and put it on my list of most overrated books ever.
I actually liked the book for what it was and even though I read it long time ago but from what I remember I would say that book itself is kind a random. I don't know why but when I start reading that book up I just can't stop reading it. Anyway I read Hiroshima by John Hersey recently it's was pretty interesting to read about the Hiroshima survivors and how their life was like after the bomb.
Old 2007-09-05, 22:58   Link #390
the follower 89
Refreshed by peace

i'm currently no reading any book but i have read some.

let me remember, i'm not going to tell in order but i will try

1. The davinci code
2. Mcbeth
3.Digital fortress.
4.Angels and Demons
5.short science fiction stories. (many)
6. The holy word (the bible)
7. Other shakespere's books.

And thats all i remember for now. As you see i like science fiction stories, but it has to have a good plot, but i'm not that demanding or is only that i'm not too good about this.

Also books that i pick and never finish or never started.

1. The conspiracy
2. vikings cave (i belive it's the name)
3. Mystery of the number 4 or smothing like that. read the first pages, interesting but not readed.

my first oficiall signature send me a private message and tell how godd or bad it was
the follower 89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 22:59   Link #391
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
Yeah I heard of it. Isn't it like a book about the atuhor who interviewed people in a war against Zombies. Wait a minute didn't the author also write the zombie survival guide.
ding ding ding you are the winner. now for your prize *pulls out a giant cake* "guess whats inside to get the bonuses prize!"
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 23:17   Link #392
mikoo
Banned

i'm currently reading harry potter and cintapuccino :flower:
mikoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-05, 23:22   Link #393
anti-random
We want chicken tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diaboso View Post
ding ding ding you are the winner. now for your prize *pulls out a giant cake* "guess whats inside to get the bonuses prize!"
hmmmmm. Is it a smaller cake. All right my joke sucked so what. I just finished reading a book called Passion by Shillitoe. No. its not a sex book, its fantasy and no it does not have fantasy sex in it. But everybody who likes politics but hates hearing about this world politics should read this book.

Thanks Sephi
anti-random is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 08:04   Link #394
Diaboso
we girls arnt safe!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by anti-random View Post
hmmmmm. Is it a smaller cake. All right my joke sucked so what. I just finished reading a book called Passion by Shillitoe. No. its not a sex book, its fantasy and no it does not have fantasy sex in it. But everybody who likes politics but hates hearing about this world politics should read this book.
I dont believe it..... you actually got it right.....and I thought of that out of thin air to

everyone usually says *cough**cough*

so your prize is to recommend me a good book
Diaboso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 09:05   Link #395
Alexandrite
Bloody Hell...

Send a message via MSN to Alexandrite Send a message via Yahoo to Alexandrite
I haven't had much time for reading yet, but I just finished many of Weis' Dragonlance novels (up to Test of the Twins), R.A. Salvatore's The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, and Promise of the Witch-King (Jarlaxle is awesome. And hilarious).

I want to dive into some larger, what some have called "more mature" fantasy novels recommended to me after this (after I'm done with Neuromancer), like George R.R. Martin and Robert Jorden, but I have no idea where to start. With Martin I think I'll start with A Song of Ice & Fire trilogy first, but Jordan apparently has a very healthy selection of reading material. Anyone know where a good place to start in his novels is, or if I should even bother (are they good)?
Alexandrite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-06, 09:39   Link #396
Comrade
A fuckin' genius!

Aleksandrs Grīns - "Dvēseļu Putenis" Oh... Does it have to be in English? Then it's J.K. Rowling - "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows"
Old 2007-09-06, 10:55   Link #397
silent_halo
the figure in the mirror

quite recently i have begun reading the 'saint of dragons'. i have read the first of the 2 so far and am about a 4th throught the second.
it is about a family called the saint georges. the main caharacter simon was abandond as a baby and lived in a lighthouse bording school until he was about 12 or 13. later on his real dad has found him and is talking about slaying dragons and what not. later on while tracking down the white white dragon "the main evil" they meet a young woman who is also later on found out to be the last magicain in the world.
the twist about the dragons is they can look like as a they please. but as they walk about bugs follow them and also there magic weakens for a split second where you can see there true form. it ends with a GIANT fight agaisnt dragon and dragon and the saint gorges.
they are great books and highly recomend for them to be read.
the discripton is amazing and the relation ships between charaters in brilliant.

the saint of dragons
samurai
by jason hightman
silent_halo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 15:40   Link #398
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

I just finished reading...

Star Wars: Legacy of the Force: Inferno by Troy Denning

Amazing book, but it makes me sad, too. This is a must read for anyone who's ever been a fan of Star Wars. Make sure to read the books before it, however, or you won't get what's going on. This includes the Dark Nest Trilogy (The Joiner King, The Unseen Queen, and The Swarm War).

Spoiler for Big Spoilers! Don't look unless you've read it and the other books in the series.:
Old 2007-09-07, 18:40   Link #399
Marina
~La-la Land~
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexandrite View Post
I haven't had much time for reading yet, but I just finished many of Weis' Dragonlance novels (up to Test of the Twins), R.A. Salvatore's The Hunter's Blades Trilogy, and Promise of the Witch-King (Jarlaxle is awesome. And hilarious).

I want to dive into some larger, what some have called "more mature" fantasy novels recommended to me after this (after I'm done with Neuromancer), like George R.R. Martin and Robert Jorden, but I have no idea where to start. With Martin I think I'll start with A Song of Ice & Fire trilogy first, but Jordan apparently has a very healthy selection of reading material. Anyone know where a good place to start in his novels is, or if I should even bother (are they good)?
Yeahhhh....so you've just named off a good portion of some of my favorite fantasy books! I LOVE the Dragonlance saga, as well as the Salvatore series.
I recommend George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series, even though he hasn't completed it yet. I'm agonizing over the next one to come out
I like Jordan...but if you're picking up the Wheel of Times series, IMO: OVERRATED. Good at the beginning, then it just goes on and on and on...
..."yes it goes on and on my friend!".....
and the multitude of names and books just got reallllly irritating.

Keeping on topic, I am currently reading the third book to Ursula LeGuin's series: The Farthest Shore.

Co-host of Kaiseki Anime Podcast
Find us on Apple Podcasts and Google Play

AniList

Sig: HSxHoneycomb
Marina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-09-07, 20:38   Link #400
Demongod86
Gundam Boobs and Boom FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina View Post
Yeahhhh....so you've just named off a good portion of some of my favorite fantasy books! I LOVE the Dragonlance saga, as well as the Salvatore series.
I recommend George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice & Fire series, even though he hasn't completed it yet. I'm agonizing over the next one to come out
I like Jordan...but if you're picking up the Wheel of Times series, IMO: OVERRATED. Good at the beginning, then it just goes on and on and on...
..."yes it goes on and on my friend!".....
and the multitude of names and books just got reallllly irritating.

Keeping on topic, I am currently reading the third book to Ursula LeGuin's series: The Farthest Shore.
GRRM = Boring with a capital B. I got bored on page 269 of Game of Thrones.

Seriously, can't a single character just shut up for a second and blow somebody up already? How do you have fantasy without the DEEBEEZEE? (See F/SN parody comics)

And so is Steven Erikson. Sorry, but I just find regular old swords and armor boring.

Edit: As to what I've read recently, do college textbooks count?

Tags
books