AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime > Fansub Groups

Notices

Old 2006-10-10, 01:34   Link #21
ladholyman
Translator for Doremi

Send a message via AIM to ladholyman
In Doremi-fansubs, this is how it works for Keroro. (Does not apply to anything else)

1) Maceart has R3 DVD raws up to episode 75. He rips out the traditional Chinese script. (Total time required - 32 seconds)

2) I translate line by line, sometimes listening to the Chinese dub track and/or checking Internet resources for idioms/confusing sentence structure/names. I also fix awkward timing. (Total time required - 1.67 hours if I'm on top of things up to 2.3 weeks if I procrastinate)

3) Maceart and I look over the episode one more time to make sure nothing sounds funny. (Total time required - 30 minutes)

4) Maceart opens up Virtualdubmod, clicks some buttons, creates a .mp3 from the .ac3 in the mkv, and encodes. First pass, then second pass. (Total time required - about one hour)

5) Maceart creates torrent, uploads it to tracker. I make an announcement in the IRC channel and to Tokyotosho. (Total time required - 2 minutes)

In the summer, this process could be repeated daily. But since school started, weekly is probably how the releases go. Thank you all for watching! (The 4,000 people that do download the awesome frog show)

As for Doremi's other projects, they vary one by one.
Old 2006-10-12, 10:09   Link #22
Shounen
Away for good

Back when AonE and ANBU was subing naruto, before A-H knows as Dattebayo "with new staff". They held the timeline pretty good, 6-8h job if im not wrong here. But since they had such an problem with the fonts and 10x other things, they slowly fell behind. Then ANBU quit, cuz of the licensing, and that's about when dattebayo came in i think.
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-14, 10:35   Link #23
sangofe

1. Gets raw
2. Translator translates signs and (eventually songs if its first ep)
2. Editor edits sign and song translations, while encoder picks out a raw and makes a timing and typesetting raw.
3. translator translates the full episode
4. the episode gets timed, and styles decided/set
5.while the timer times, the ep gets typeset
6. when its styled and timed, it goes to editors
7. when its edited, it's softsub qc time, wheter the ts is done or not.
8. sqc "mix".
9. rc1 encode
10.rc1 qc mix
11.etc.etc
sangofe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-16, 01:05   Link #24
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shounen View Post
Back when AonE and ANBU was subing naruto, before A-H knows as Dattebayo "with new staff". They held the timeline pretty good, 6-8h job if im not wrong here. But since they had such an problem with the fonts and 10x other things, they slowly fell behind. Then ANBU quit, cuz of the licensing, and that's about when dattebayo came in i think.
Actually, the absolute best we ever did was 23 hours. And we had timezones working in our favor (raws came out and got downloaded and transferred well before the translator went to sleep, editor was well-synced to the translator, timer was in Singapore, typesetter in Europe, encoder in the eastern US, QC (me and Jed, mainly) were also in the eastern US.

Things broke down a bit on the speeds when the .sg timer joined the military (thus quitting fansubbing, breaking the timezone flow), when air times changed (breaking everyone's schedules a bit), or when any member in the chain got a bit busy with their life (fairly frequent, since almost all of us were college students at the time). For a long time, our average schedule was somewhere in the neighborhood of 2-3 days from air to release... when it broke down to about 5 (and stalled for like 2-3 weeks once), that was when bakasan and the speedsubbers that used his scripts started doing their thing, which I guess would be the really defining moment in speedsubbing. So yeah, even with fortuitously-arranged timezones, it takes a lot of dedication to keep them functioning.

And ANBU initially quit before the licensing, to shake up the staff arrangement a bit and because Crustol was planning to retire -- or so went my understanding of things. Then the teams got back together again for a couple weeks (arranged differently, marking crustol's retirement), then the show was licensed and things split back up.

Incidentally, yeah, DB is surprisingly good at what they do. Pretty much since I stopped being a narutosubber, I've watched their releases, and I have no idea where they get the steely reserves of dedication required to keep working on that stuff at all, much less on schedule. If I were still working on that show, I would have long since gotten sick of it and quit by now, I think .
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote