AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > Sports & Entertainment

Notices

Old 2013-11-13, 23:39   Link #21
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

On a (kinda) related note. How about 'character bashing.' Most commonly I've seen it with Dumbledore, or Sasuke/Sakura. I'd say it can ruin a story faster than any OC.
Old 2013-11-14, 00:16   Link #22
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Suzaku Kururugi from Code Geass.
Fireminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 00:50   Link #23
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
All depends if the writer can write well. If they can't write an interesting OC or mishandle the regular characters then it won't be enjoyable to read. But if the OC works in the setting and is a good character I don't really care if technically they are an OC.

I do understand the complaints, but don't think that's about the OC in particular but just the writing quality. Certainly remember when I was just writing for fun I had an OC for the Index setting and personally thought it worked well enough. Of course nowhere near confident enough in my overall skill to inflict that upon humanity .

Of course haven't read a lot of fanfics lately so not sure how OC's are being handled overall. What I have read have shown cases where they work fine. You throw in a character, they develop, the rest of the cast develop, it's all good.
Old 2013-11-14, 01:48   Link #24
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Of course that OC could be fun, but what I'm complain is the mindset of a lot writers in general.

And who here ever try to convey a deep ideal in their fic (for example, "Peace could not be keep by Lie")?
Old 2013-11-14, 07:39   Link #25
sa547
*Author

I've seen a lot of examples involving Gary/Mary Stu OCs; most of their authors begin with the popular fanfic they've read and then proceed to imitate the style and plot, mainly to satisfy shipping desires and fantasies, regardless of quality.

Unless it's being played for laughs or in a crackfic, an OC isn't supposed to steal the limelight.
Old 2013-11-14, 17:52   Link #26
StratoSpear
Titans Test Team Pilot

Most pointers I want to chip in have been brought up. As an OC story author, I can agree as to why OCs shouldn't steal the limelight UNLESS the story is about them.

Some are blatant self-inserts. Some try to "fix" canon storyline as they see fit. Some just want to out their own ways to make their own AU in similar setting, which is what I'm doing.

Can't say for all OC authors but I don't believe all of them should be struck out because of a few who tend to turn things entirely into their favor.
Old 2013-11-14, 18:31   Link #27
NorthernFallout
The Interstellar Medium
*Author

While agreeing with previous posters, I myself pretty much solely used OCs as main characters/viewpoints in the fics I've written in years past, though I've always avoided Stus on principle. I essentially used OCs to practice writing a character and the interaction with the CCs without creating the world (and instead expand upon it). That method eventually brought me to the level I'm currently at when it comes to English fiction writing.

So while Sturgeon's Law always apply, it can make for a good exercise routine either way if the writer is willing to learn... And not just write ****fics with pairings. Like the majority does on the Internet.

NorthernFallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-14, 19:37   Link #28
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

I always thought OCs are just personal characters in a similar setting, like Unicorn and Prism Ilya. Regardless of the stand of the character, it is always the main character according to the writer.

People have OCs because they like the setting of the world, and probably, how the characters interact with each other that they want to be a part of that relationship. Still, since the settings are reused, I think that character attributes and planning are the main focus of fanfictions.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-15, 19:50   Link #29
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

I always felt that OCs, for proper usage, are further limited to the franchise you're writing for. Not every franchise can really even fit the usage of original characters. Franchises like Gundam SEED's pretty open and viable for the usage of original characters if they're well-written and properly used, but franchises like, say, GaoGaiGar have pretty much no room for original characters. In particular franchises that have a pretty heave focus on a particular character or a particular group won't really work well with OCs involved in a different aspect of the overall story. Frankly speaking readers interested in fanfiction for such stories probably don't want to see what some random nobody is doing, and rather read about the canon cast.

I've only made one serious attempt at using OCs in a story, with a franchise that's somewhat open for it (Lyrical Nanoha), and so far I've had my characters called believable, which is probably the best I could hope for, but the real hurdle for such a story's yet to come there, when I get them interacting with the main cast. And in all honesty... it's not easy to do. The only ease that I've really had comes from the setting being open to such a thing. If it was like Evangelion or Harry Potter, the story would suffer as a result.
Old 2013-11-17, 06:45   Link #30
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Just met once once of my father's old friend for the first time. A subject that Dad met and wrote about in his career as a journalist. That man is truly a great example of Will: He got a nasty disorder that makes his legs slowly shirked - He has to use a cane now. And yet for these 30 years, he has taught generation of poor children, without even asking for a penny. His love life is also wonderful: His wife, whom has been in love with him since they were young, always got cast away while proposing. And yet when they are in their late 40s, they still loves each other and finally married.

What I'm want to state here is: Are we just too pathetic to dream big? What is our dream of an ideal character: Beautiful, Talented, Being Loved by all Girls,...? Are we living in a Dream full of Delusion? I'm even thinking about my father? For all these words that I've wrote, what he has made far exceeded what I envision?
Old 2013-11-17, 06:55   Link #31
ZeroXSEED
I am no one

It's not that we're afraid of dream big.

I'll repeat what I write again: it's all about responsibilities.

If you're write something close to reality, can you really bring them into life in your words? Can you see the source of inspiration and tell them honestly that you want to tell a tale about them in each words you write? Can you FEEL your work as if it's real for you, as writer? Do you feel like a God yet?

If not, then forget it. There's no use of reality-wank if you're not attached to it to begin with.

This is the reason why most fiction are wish fulfillment, to write the world as we like, to write a character as we perceive. Only the most glaring one are considered bad, OC included. Do you want a good dream or a bad dream?
Old 2013-11-17, 07:09   Link #32
Fireminer
Lumine Passio
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroXSEED View Post
It's not that we're afraid of dream big.

I'll repeat what I write again: it's all about responsibilities.

If you're write something close to reality, can you really bring them into life in your words? Can you see the source of inspiration and tell them honestly that you want to tell a tale about them in each words you write? Can you FEEL your work as if it's real for you, as writer? Do you feel like a God yet?

If not, then forget it. There's no use of reality-wank if you're not attached to it to begin with.

This is the reason why most fiction are wish fulfillment, to write the world as we like, to write a character as we perceive. Only the most glaring one are considered bad, OC included. Do you want a good dream or a bad dream?
True, but I haven't dream for a long time. Isn't there is this particular quote: Children live with the Present, Adult with Future and Elder with Past? I want to live and write to my fullest, open my heart wide to the world. After all, isn't human the most beautiful and ugly creature in this world?

Beside, I'd never be a God. Well, according to Buddha and Nietzsche.
Old 2013-11-17, 08:09   Link #33
demino_hellsin
That one guy

you're a kid. try to act like one from time to time. It'll help you set your priorities.
demino_hellsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-20, 20:22   Link #34
Wild Goose
Truth Martyr
*Author

I'll just note that OCs are not inherently bad, and that it's possible to make an OC-centric work set in another universe. The trick is all in the execution. For a positive example, The Miracle at Palaven is almost completely OC-centric: the sole canon character who appears is Kal'Reegar. And yet it's a very entertaining story.

...of course, for every Miracle, there's thousands upon thousands of failures. -_-

I believe in miracles.

Wild Goose is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canon, character, discussion, fanfic, literature, original character