AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2006-10-18, 00:23   Link #1
aahhsin

Racially Sensitive Question.

To get straight to the point.

Why do Blacks reinforce their own negative racial stereotypes?

For example, especially in the media, which is were most people get their images, Blacks seem to enjoy portraying their negative stereotypes. For example, 50 cent has lyrics that go:

Quote:
"All through the hood, I keep hearin' niggas sayin'
I'm supposed to die tonight
niggas come put a hit out and they talkin' like the shit okay
I'm down to ride tonight
We rollin, whip stolen, AK loaded
I'm down to ride tonight
We smokin', straight locin', locked and loaded
Somebody gon' die tonight"
He does drugs, get into fights, and ultimately wants to kill someone with an assalt rifle. Which are all three things other races portray blacks to do now.

You don't hear white people singing about ruling the world, or how Asians study 24/7. Just black people seem to enjoy these stereotypes.

Another example: Youngbuck stabbing someone on live TV. Which makes things even worse.

So Why do famous blacks do it? have a choice to better themselves, and their race, and their neighborhoods. But instead, they portray an image which makes it seem like it's the only way for youths to get out of the ghetto.

Now one can argue corporations tell them to do so. But with the success of the Black Eyed Peas "Where's the Love", I highly doubt "white corporations" would not want another success like that.
aahhsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 00:29   Link #2
Cardiac Glycoside

Hm, I don't know.

I would ask why some Muslims reinforce their own negative stereotypes (like the whole Danish cartoon bit a while back) but, they usually cite the Quran as justification.... I have no problem with people acting on their sincere beliefs but I do when it means others must be harmed.
Old 2006-10-18, 00:32   Link #3
Shay
Monarch Programmer

Because where these people come from it is not stereotype it is reality.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 00:45   Link #4
SpecterVR
Calming Everyday Life

Because the people who enjoy it has it shoved down their throat?

Do you honestly think this music appeals to mature african american adults? its mostly aimed at the Youth/Young Adult, so I really don't think anyone is reinforcing a stereotype.
And its rather...idiotic to use a musician to point out a stereotype that pretty much originated from there.
SpecterVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 01:45   Link #5
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin View Post

For example, especially in the media, which is were most people get their images, Blacks seem to enjoy portraying their negative stereotypes. For example, 50 cent has lyrics that go:

He does drugs, get into fights, and ultimately wants to kill someone with an assalt rifle. Which are all three things other races portray blacks to do now.

You don't hear white people singing about ruling the world, or how Asians study 24/7. Just black people seem to enjoy these stereotypes.

Another example: Youngbuck stabbing someone on live TV. Which makes things even worse.

So Why do famous blacks do it? have a choice to better themselves, and their race, and their neighborhoods. But instead, they portray an image which makes it seem like it's the only way for youths to get out of the ghetto.

Now one can argue corporations tell them to do so. But with the success of the Black Eyed Peas "Where's the Love", I highly doubt "white corporations" would not want another success like that.
Dude understand that what you see is only 1 percent of an entire race...and television networks like Mtv or BET's (owned by MTV) goal is only to proliferate this image as it tends to sell with most of their demographic (which is white teenagers unfortunatley)...African americans whether you know it or not aren't well represented in the televised media(Neither are Asians are Italians, etc., for that matter--Or do you think all Italians live like Tony Soprano?)...What you are seeing is a segmented-view of black culture and (fortunatley//unfortunatley) this is what sells in white america...The reason why you see so many stereotypical versions of Blacks on Tv sitcoms dominated by a white cast is because more often than not those writers are white and write a character based on WHAT THEY THINK a black person would be like (Based on obvious stereotypes)...

People like 50 cent simply play both sides for the bottomline...As long as he's making money (and networks like MTV make money for him and themselves) he really doesn't care much and it's up to individuals to find and locate what's real and what's fantasy...50 cent is playing the networks just like they are playing him...I really don't listen to him and am much more a fan of artists like Nas, Rass Kass, Mos Def, Talib Qweli, Outkast, and other Black artist who are far more political and message oriented...But you have to understand Gangsta Rap (Now they just lump that $hit in with "hip-hop") is a popular genre of music and you have to take it as such...Again it is up to the individual to seek and or understand that a handful of Black artists don't make up the totality of an entire race...

Quote:
There are tons of white groups who sing or rap about the same things as you view as stereotypical and ignorant (Ever heard of Insane Clown Posse? Paul Wall? Bubba Sparks?? Rage Against The Machine?), but the difference is whites have so many different outlets and genres that are displayed thru music and television that you get a full sense of every type of white demographic...Blacks on the other hand have a much more segmented amount of material thru-out various media and that's the vision most people have. I mean it's 2006 and of the major TV networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) I couldn't name one Black-centered series that appears on prime-time...Yet I could name about 100 white-centered shows that gives me every different genre and stereotype of how white people live...

So in conclusion what you are seeing is a small percentage of Black individuals getting the LARGEST PERCENTAGE of media exposure exaggerating a culture or mentality that indeed exists, but not on the level you would think...For every "Youngbuck" stabbing someone on TV, there's a "Buck Young" stabbing some chickenfeed bags on a farm, or a "Young Buckington" eating shrimp scallops as he takes his yacht thru the Black Sea no doubt xD...Unfortunatley one stereotype sells and the other isn't as prevalent...Obviously not to you, which I wish could be different...
Old 2006-10-18, 07:28   Link #6
Loniat
Paranoid Android

I think Wingdarkness summarizes it very well, and I would suggest that such a thread be closed.
Loniat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 09:21   Link #7
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

The answer is simple yet complex. It's an illusion of power. Because it was used to degrade them in the first place (FYI, "nigger" is meant to say someone has no value). It gives them the power over the word, and "the man". Power is ever important to those who really have none, such as poor blacks, so they take whatever they can to turn it to their own uses. It gives them a sense of "power".

Now what is "power"? If we go to the diction of the word, it means click here to see dictionary.com definition. Based on the relevant definitions for power (i.e. 1,3-5, 9, 14), we see something, but it doesn't explain fully WHY they call each other the n-word. They exercise "power" over the word, and thus take it to strike back at the system that had subjugated them for generations to back- and spirit-breaking manual labour. Even now, as the market economy works to the disadvantage of the poor (the rich get richer, the poor get poorer), they use whatever means necessary to simultaneously ascend in society which is not favorable to them and influence popular culture however they can.

It's way more complicated than this, and I wrote a term paper on it as well, but I don't have much time to go into more details. Perhaps later.
Old 2006-10-18, 09:55   Link #8
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:

Because they hold true that they don't care, even if it's hurts them. It's probably sterotyped into them to think that way. Of course ya know what while you grow up, you are changed into the future self by the people that you hang around with. Normally if all of the friends that you hang out with played Xbox and the counsole games all the time, you'll probably be very intrested into those type of things and probbaly major into like comupter science or somewhere along the gaming industry. (that's if you're planning to attend a post secondary school)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingDarkness
Dude understand that what you see is only 1 percent of an entire race...and television networks like Mtv or BET's (owned by MTV) goal is only to proliferate this image as it tends to sell with most of their demographic (which is white teenagers unfortunatley)...African americans whether you know it or not aren't well represented in the televised media(Neither are Asians are Italians, etc., for that matter--Or do you think all Italians live like Tony Soprano?)...What you are seeing is a segmented-view of black culture and (fortunatley//unfortunatley) this is what sells in white america...The reason why you see so many stereotypical versions of Blacks on Tv sitcoms dominated by a white cast is because more often than not those writers are white and write a character based on WHAT THEY THINK a black person would be like (Based on obvious stereotypes)...

People like 50 cent simply play both sides for the bottomline...As long as he's making money (and networks like MTV make money for him and themselves) he really doesn't care much and it's up to individuals to find and locate what's real and what's fantasy...50 cent is playing the networks just like they are playing him...I really don't listen to him and am much more a fan of artists like Nas, Rass Kass, Mos Def, Talib Qweli, Outkast, and other Black artist who are far more political and message oriented...But you have to understand Gangsta Rap (Now they just lump that $hit in with "hip-hop") is a popular genre of music and you have to take it as such...Again it is up to the individual to seek and or understand that a handful of Black artists don't make up the totality of an entire race...

Quote:
There are tons of white groups who sing or rap about the same things as you view as stereotypical and ignorant (Ever heard of Insane Clown Posse? Paul Wall? Bubba Sparks?? Rage Against The Machine?), but the difference is whites have so many different outlets and genres that are displayed thru music and television that you get a full sense of every type of white demographic...Blacks on the other hand have a much more segmented amount of material thru-out various media and that's the vision most people have. I mean it's 2006 and of the major TV networks (CBS, NBC, ABC, FOX) I couldn't name one Black-centered series that appears on prime-time...Yet I could name about 100 white-centered shows that gives me every different genre and stereotype of how white people live...

So in conclusion what you are seeing is a small percentage of Black individuals getting the LARGEST PERCENTAGE of media exposure exaggerating a culture or mentality that indeed exists, but not on the level you would think...For every "Youngbuck" stabbing someone on TV, there's a "Buck Young" stabbing some chickenfeed bags on a farm, or a "Young Buckington" eating shrimp scallops as he takes his yacht thru the Black Sea no doubt xD...Unfortunatley one stereotype sells and the other isn't as prevalent...Obviously not to you, which I wish could be different...
Well said. College teaches you much about different cultures. So those type of attitude favorable to everyone or is that just a stereotype too? Monkey see, monkey doo..?

ex. Hey ya niggas, whatcha doing in the hood? This sa our turf.
ps: plenty of emotion inputted in that sentence.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 17:43   Link #9
complich8
Fansubber Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to complich8
Yeah, there's a lot of that going around, the last 20 years or so, and a lot of black community leaders are really pushing to fight it.

A Harvard professor recently (Oct. 6th) published a pretty interesting paper, which is worth a look (if nothing else, for the abstract and the graphs down around page
http://www.economics.harvard.edu/fac...er_torelli.pdf

It explores a LOT of relevant material, and like I said ... graphs!
complich8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 18:34   Link #10
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Most black entertainers probably aren't too concerned about the image as they are with making good music. I mean, it isn't everyone's cup of tea, but I must admit I like some rap even though I'm from a rural area. The hip hop culture has some kind allure to it.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 19:46   Link #11
Rurik
Golden

I think the afro-american population don't see it as a negative stereotypical remark given it is one of their own (of course A group of offended people can be found), I think it would be different if it were a White person doing the Stereotypical remark, rather than a Black person.

What Im not sure if this People do it because there is a hidden agenda made by the Man (from The movie Unervocer Brother ) or is that people like 50 Cents or Dave Chappelle that are practically telling you about the reality using slang that seems offensive.

Other than That, Wing-San, made a good post about it...although I don't agree that the Racial stereotypes made by Black are all controlled by white people.

Everybody should just be like The guys at South PArk, who practically Sh$# on everyone, wihtout having favoritism.

Wing, long time no see...^^
Old 2006-10-18, 20:27   Link #12
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:

Why do Marilyn Manson do what he does in his video clips? It is what they feel like doing and it is what the people who listen that genre like to see or hear.

Although I do not enjoy that particular genre, as long as it allows people to discharge that way, why not? Also, talking about those things do not mean they encourage people do the same. It can be used as a way to criticize people.

Lastly, that kind of expression is not specific to African Americans, or a race; in my country a completely different genre is used to give similar messages or to express the problems they face in their life in a rather explicit way (which might seem offensive for the others).
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 20:40   Link #13
chucky
Always impatient

Or, to be even more blatant, when robbie williams and such did things that in every aspect equally ridiculous and ludicrous, did anyone bring up it's a problem of "white men reinforcing their racial stereotype"?

And aahhsin, if you dont mind, can you tell us what your ethnic origin is?
chucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 22:22   Link #14
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik View Post
Other than That, Wing-San, made a good post about it...although I don't agree that the Racial stereotypes made by Black are all controlled by white people.
Well I never said all...I only meant scripted television with predominatley white cast..

As for this matter obviously aahhsin is one of millions and millions who have been cultivated into thinking this is the status quo...That this is what most successful Black people are about...It doesn't help that these images are highly glorified and quite frankly sell stereotypical or not, but discussions like this can serve to dispell some of the myths and augment peoples thinking enuff to understand what they are being bombarded with isn't necessarily representative of an entire race...

Quote:
Wing, long time no see...^^
Well my wings were, hmmm....clipped for lack of a better word, but I'm back to flappin'...Uchiha_Rurik right?
Old 2006-10-18, 22:30   Link #15
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
I think ahhsin's question is not if it representation of black people is accurate to the real population as wingdarkness said, but the question is why do they do it?

I personally think that US people are so concerned in being "politically correct" that they enforce the divisions even more, because they point out the differences constantly. I read in other forums something I think is very true, if an arab comes to latinamerica and has a kid, the kid is considered latino inmediatly, and can even became a latin "icon" (i.e. Shakira), while that rarely if never happens in the US, if an arab has a kid he wont be considered an "anglo" person, his ethnic background will be brought up constantly because is the "politically correct" thing to do, but that doesnt create any integration of US people, it divides you even more.

* note: not saying we latinamericans arent racist, because we are, but it happens in a different way, is more related to classism than racism itself
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 22:37   Link #16
Rurik
Golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingdarkness View Post
Well I never said all...I only meant scripted television with predominatley white cast..

As for this matter obviously aahhsin is one of millions and millions who have been cultivated into thinking this is the status quo...That this is what most successful Black people are about...It doesn't help that these images are highly glorified and quite frankly sell stereotypical or not, but discussions like this can serve to dispell some of the myths and augment peoples thinking enuff to understand what they are being bombarded with isn't necessarily representative of an entire race...
Yeah,I guess so, But, for example, what would be your take on shows like Dave Chappelle? Do you think This is something that comes from him? or is something that is pre-scripted by a puppet hand?

Quote:
Well my wings were, hmmm....clipped for lack of a better word, but I'm back to flappin'...Uchiha_Rurik right?
Thats good..beware, because Im posting a lot on the Bleach forum now......

and yes .I ditched the Uchiha as You can see..is like getting a Haircut
Old 2006-10-18, 23:04   Link #17
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Like I said mantidor it's on the individual to understand that blacks who do this may are may not be a true representation...If blacks capping people in videos is the top video on MTV or the top single on soundscan than easily another black artists can do that to simply fit that role and feed off the demo that wants that type of music...Basically getting money...To some of these individuals they are telling their stories from the street being real to there upbringing like it or not, for others they are simply pimping the game for what it's worth...Using the same strategy white corporations have been doing to them for years...It's unfortunate that many have to feel like aahhsin that they are just glorifying their own stereotypes, but if I can see thru it and understand what's bull$hit and what's not others should aswell...Those who cannot get swept up in the tide and taken along for the ride...That doesn't mean everyone is in that water with you...

50 cent is sitting back laffing at the white teenagers that put money in his pocket, because he is simply "gaming the gamers"...

50 cent would say something like this: "You want some gangsta $hit? I'll provide it and take your money...If individuals want to choose to think this is what most blacks are about sobeit because if I wasn't pimping the game, i'd be making the same type of music and they'd be pimping me..."

He doesn't give a damn, but many other artists do like Nas, like Outkast, like Mos Def, like Common...but they aren't outselling 50 (Maybe Outkast since they are so diversified)... So you see him on 50 million TV sets and the other side has just 1 flatscreen to convey a different stereotype or message...You guys need to have perspective...My TV station doesn't stay on MTV or BET so that's not my immediate world like it is for some...

I've been following 50 waaaay before he sold out to do this type of music...He's like a Hollywood Thug now singing and $hit on records and what's funny is he disses JaRule for doing the SAME THING he does...He used to be waaaay more hardcore than he is now trust me...his old mixtapes would get him killed, hell they almost did (He got shot like 5 times for dissing various rappers)!!

So to answer your question "Why do they do it?" It goes back to what I have been saying from the start...There are various reasons they do it and it's up to individuals to understand what's what and not to think this exists under one umbrella...One guy is doing it strictly for the money, one guy is doing it for respect, one guy is doing it to tell a story, one guy is doing it to sell a story...It's all about seeing thru the propaganda and the first step is not buying into a handful of individuals shaping your view of an entire class or race...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rurik
Yeah,I guess so, But, for example, what would be your take on shows like Dave Chappelle? Do you think This is something that comes from him? or is something that is pre-scripted by a puppet hand?
Dave Chapelle has creative control for the most part and uses issues of race for the purpose of comedy (Now that doesn't mean he had control over material he had already done for the network)...The reason he left his own show was that the pressure for him to top the last season was so high he felt like he may have went overboard with some of the racial comedy...That's why he told Comedy Central he'd consider coming back if they didn't air the footage he already made...They thought it was funny so they aired it and they even did a public forum on the "Lost Episodes" during filming to see if the audience would be offended...The prevailing thought amoungst the audience was,"If it's funny it's funny.." they didn't come here to debate political issues but to laff...and as long as he's equally chastising each race then it's fine...IMO someone who would be uptight or reallly mad about something on that show I'd have to ask them "What in the world are they watching it for?" The purpose of that show is too offend and make people laff...

Quote:
Thats good..beware, because Im posting a lot on the Bleach forum now......

and yes .I ditched the Uchiha as You can see..is like getting a Haircut
Well I guess I can't accuse you of being a Uchiha homer when debating the greatness of Sasuke ...
Old 2006-10-18, 23:42   Link #18
mantidor
the Iniquitous

Send a message via Yahoo to mantidor
you are generalizing too much, just because you can se through the "bull$shit" doesn't mean everyone does, and I really disagree thats their own fault, and that everyone should know, how could everyone know really?. You clearly have been following this guy for a while and it looks you are fan, but thats not the case for everyone, and it shouldnt, you shouldnt "have to" know everything about these singers, specially if you don't like them to begin with. I think the real point here is whether people can see trough it or not is irrelevant because ultimately it is harmful, and spreads divisionism even more.
mantidor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-18, 23:49   Link #19
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor View Post
I read in other forums something I think is very true, if an arab comes to latinamerica and has a kid, the kid is considered latino inmediatly, and can even became a latin "icon" (i.e. Shakira), while that rarely if never happens in the US, if an arab has a kid he wont be considered an "anglo" person, his ethnic background will be brought up constantly because is the "politically correct" thing to do, but that doesnt create any integration of US people, it divides you even more.
It is the same if a Western European (other than a French) would come to US, and would most likely be treated as an American. The ties between Arabic population and Hispanic population has a very long history (that has overcome many differences long time ago while living together), just like the ties between the countries around the Caucasian region (Greek, Turk, Armenian, etc.). As long as people can get over their religious, language, national differences (that has started to lose its importance compared to before), the cultural/outward differences might become difficult to recognize.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-10-19, 00:33   Link #20
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantidor View Post
you are generalizing too much, just because you can se through the "bull$shit" doesn't mean everyone does, and I really disagree thats their own fault, and that everyone should know, how could everyone know really?. You clearly have been following this guy for a while and it looks you are fan, but thats not the case for everyone, and it shouldnt, you shouldnt "have to" know everything about these singers, specially if you don't like them to begin with. I think the real point here is whether people can see trough it or not is irrelevant because ultimately it is harmful, and spreads divisionism even more.
No quite the opposite ...the point of me trying to dispell these claims gives you information on people that you may not know about (whether it's their motivations or whatever which is the reason I believe the poster asked the question so someone more knowledgable than him on the subject could comment)...This should aid you in finding out more on your own so you can "see thru the bull$hit" so to speak...A minute ago you didn't even have a general idea...Now you do, now you can put someone like 50 cent (an artist who I don't care for or promote really) into a certain context you were incapable of just a few posts ago...To put a culture into some perspective that you didn't even have at all...

And yes it is up to the individual unless you WANT to be blind all your life...Nobody is gonna hold your hand and walk you thru it and you certainly aren't gonna be able to stop a machine such as MTV or the music industry, or it's artists from promoting what sells (Not to mention a culture or mentality you don't really grasp)...All you can do is try to get a better understanding of the situation so you can breakdown these stereotypes as best you can for what they really are...So everytime you see some guys gang-banging in a rap video you don't see that as the entire race...It is up to you, because no one is gonna do it for you...All I did was try to shed some light for people who didn't have any particulars on the subject...and I think I should garner a bit more respect than criticisms for it...but to each their own, my only goal was to try to inform and give some perspective to those who may have none (Via my own life experiences no doubt)...