AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Negima

Notices

View Poll Results: Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba~ OVA 1 Rating
Perfect 10 13 30.23%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 41.86%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 7 16.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 4 9.30%
6 out of 10 : Average 1 2.33%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2008-08-21, 17:40   Link #1
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba~ OVA 1 Discussion / Poll

Welcome to the discussion thread for Mahou Sensei Negima! ~Shiroki Tsubasa Ala Alba~ OVA 1. Please note that AnimeSuki does not consider this OVA to be licensed at this point in time.

Thread Guidelines
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Spoilers about future events must not be posted in this thread.
    If you need to reference something that would spoil a future event, reply directly with a private message.
  • Discuss your expectations of the episode if it has not aired yet.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
Spoiler Policy
  • Any spoiler that reveals future events, even under a spoiler tag, will be deleted.
    Spoiler tags should still be used where appropriate.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Old 2008-08-21, 20:00   Link #2
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Good to see we finally get a thread for this.

I'm sure i speak for everyone who's seen the first episode that this is how a Negima adaptation should be done. Though saying that i've still no problems with the past two seasons, it's just so nice to see an adaptation that sticks so close to the original material --- right down to the character designs/humor. A brilliant choice was made having Shinbo directing this, because he's a man in my opinion who knows how to work with original material. It's been shown with plenty of his past works.

Also have to mention how nice it is to hear Happy Material again. Yay for new versions!
Old 2008-08-21, 20:23   Link #3
Asrialys

Would it be too troublesome to move the posts after August 12 from the other thread into this thread?

Last edited by Asrialys; 2008-08-21 at 20:35.
Old 2008-08-21, 20:56   Link #4
Seiryuu

My one big problem with this is probably going to be far less noticeable outside of the festival. As I've said with other series, the simple pattern fill is a very easy way to put complex designs on things, but it can be very easy to get it wrong. This is a great example, there's not even any real effort put to making the pattern appear in any way bound to the fabric it's supposed to be on. The kimono moves, and it's like a moving window showing parts of a stationary background. At least try to make the thing rotate and move somewhat with the fabric. It's not really THAT hard. Fortunately, the complex patterns were for the kimonos, so I feel hopeful that there won't be so much in later eps.
That said, this looks to be a great combination and improvement on all that was great in each version, and then some. The magic is better than ever, the characters are more real, less off-the-wall absurd, and the whole thing holds splendidly to the actual story. Perhaps, if purchases on the next few eps get high enough to convince those in power to do not only a movie, but also a TV series worthy of this title, they'll go back and even cover the Mahora school fest. Whether they do that or jump straight into the new world, I can't imagine them losing money doing this level work on these intense arcs.
Lastly, I've got to say one thing came to my mind when I saw Asuna in the OP. In pool, if I remember correctly, once you've just about won your last goal is to get the 8-ball into the hole. Make of that what you will.
Old 2008-08-21, 21:27   Link #5
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

I'm actually greatly pleased with how this was handled with how close it was to the manga, but I doubt I will ever be absolutely pleased with a Negima anime because I just love it so much more as a manga and the animes really never seem to capture what I like about Negima. Still though I like this adaption so far and enjoyed it.
Old 2008-08-22, 03:40   Link #6
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

WTF a Akamatsu rendition that actually seems to follow the manga? Something is very wrong (read right) with the world.

Loving the first episode!

<--- Shipping Nodoka --->
Old 2008-08-22, 04:18   Link #7
Kurogane_Shiroikaze
Mikuru Moe Overload

Send a message via MSN to Kurogane_Shiroikaze
This is the first ever Negima anime that has the pleasure of being officially recognized by myself. Any other adaptations do not exist to me.

Just a bit sad we didn't get a lot of battle scenes. The first few mins of Chao vs Negi and Asuna's training was just such a huge cocktease there.

Damn it, I want more gothic Asuna!
Old 2008-08-22, 06:28   Link #8
grey_moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurogane_Shiroikaze View Post
This is the first ever Negima anime that has the pleasure of being officially recognized by myself. Any other adaptations do not exist to me.

Just a bit sad we didn't get a lot of battle scenes. The first few mins of Chao vs Negi and Asuna's training was just such a huge cocktease there.

Damn it, I want more gothic Asuna!
The festival events would be amazing to see animated, but big budget please!!!!
Old 2008-08-22, 11:26   Link #9
fict_ticious
I can has drinks?

Ah, that was pretty good. I was quite fond of Negima!?, so I was a little confused thinking "wait, is this still SHAFT?". But I was pleased with how it turned out. Also, we get a Muchi-Kotarou this time around. It's nice having another male in the cast.

Seems to be a general consensus that this is better for adhering to the manga. Though this is a non-issue for me, I would have to say that Negima was meant to be animated this way - a new look to events that we're already familiar with sans the giant word balloons that seem to be occupying most of the frame space in the manga recently.
Old 2008-08-22, 13:11   Link #10
Defron
Soy Bean

Loved the new version of Happy Material, but I wasn't too fond of the snippits from earlier chapters (would much rather have full episodes devoted to them *hopes*).

I was very happy with how well they were done and was extremely happy to hear the same voices. Nodoka and Yue's escape: Wonderful (probably my favorite part); the artwork equally wonderful.

Here is to hoping the other 2 will be just as impressive.
Old 2008-08-22, 13:25   Link #11
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_moon View Post
The festival events would be amazing to see animated, but big budget please!!!!
You never know, the festival arc may be the one chosen for the movie. I can't even begin to imagine what they'd do for a third season --- carry on from the OVA's?
Old 2008-08-22, 13:29   Link #12
DJ_RockmanX
性転換 団長

Send a message via AIM to DJ_RockmanX Send a message via MSN to DJ_RockmanX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
You never know, the festival arc may be the one chosen for the movie. I can't even begin to imagine what they'd do for a third season --- carry on from the OVA's?
That would be one long-ass movie. It'd be better to use a third season for that instead.

Old 2008-08-22, 13:56   Link #13
Asrialys

Akamatsu said himself that the school festival would need about a full season.

For a movie, I'd think Fate's arc in the manga would do well. Most of it was spent with the group separated so far, so I don't think that'd take much time. An entire movie dedicated to Negi, Asuna, and Fate's connection would be nice. But it's too early to tell just how long the manga will get to the end of that arc.
Old 2008-08-22, 16:17   Link #14
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

When it comes to a movie, I still say the best manga story to adapt for it is the "Wilhelm" storyline,
Spoiler for Wilhelm Arc:
Old 2008-08-22, 16:27   Link #15
Xacual

I think the Tournament Arc inside the Festival Arc would work for a movie too.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Old 2008-08-22, 17:32   Link #16
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ_RockmanX View Post
That would be one long-ass movie. It'd be better to use a third season for that instead.
He never said how long the movie would last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
I'd want this to happen more then anything, seriously. That would easily be the best 90 minutes of my life.
Old 2008-08-22, 21:52   Link #17
TnAdct1
Honya-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
A few problems here:

Spoiler for Tournament Arc:
Old 2008-08-22, 21:55   Link #18
GuidoHunter_Toki
Wiggle Your Big Toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
When it comes to a movie, I still say the best manga story to adapt for it is the "Wilhelm" storyline,
Spoiler for Wilhelm Arc:
That would probably be the most reasonable as there would be few questions about plot points in that point in the story. I think the Kyoto arc could work pretty well too.
Old 2008-08-22, 22:11   Link #19
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnAdct1 View Post
A few problems here:

Spoiler for Tournament Arc:
Well I thought it would work somehow! I admit I just want to see that animated. I hope the next two are just as good as this one was.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy

Last edited by Xacual; 2008-08-22 at 22:17. Reason: Should have read the other topic.
Old 2008-08-23, 01:06   Link #20
grey_moon

I'm worried about myself because when I see the words Negima + movie I automatically think ero....