AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Claymore

Notices

View Poll Results: Claymore - Chapter 120 Rating
Perfect 10 12 16.22%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 18 24.32%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 16 21.62%
7 out of 10 : Good 9 12.16%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 6.76%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 7 9.46%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.35%
3 out of 10 : Bad 1 1.35%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 5 6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2011-11-22, 22:37   Link #921
White Silver King
The Isley

@ATM: I wasn't talking about any of that. My post referred to your everybody should awaken line. It didn't really make any sense to me since it would end the manga or change it's direction into, almost literally, an entirely new series.

However, now that I think about it, the WTF also applies to the desire for a blood-bath. It just doesn't make sense to me. I agree that Rachel and Nina can die (though I do find Nina's technique highly interesting) but I believe Audrey is going to serve some purpose in the future. Out of all the warriors of this generation (besides Miata and Clarice of course) we've gotten the most info about Audrey - her personality, her fighting style, her set of morals and how she views the world; we've even gotten some foreshadowing about her from Yagi during her "I didn't fight at full power" convo with Miria and the almost creepy looks that seem to be dominate her face now. So I don't want her to die, at least until she's proven all her worth or lack of it.
Old 2011-11-22, 23:18   Link #922
Etheral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiek927 View Post
Um, you lost me - again, Priscilla wasn't trying to kill him, so what made you think he was going to die in the first place?

The whole thing was genius really, an abuse and manipulation of her own regeneration - when Priscilla regenerates, her body both expels the parasites and heals at the same time. Shoving her arm in Raki's body did just that; even if it wasn't her actual body, it's power still overwhelmed and drove the parasites out which, automatically and subsequently, healed his body.

Raki was never in any danger at all; so I don't see how you feel it was this sort of cop-out that Raki survived. She saved his life...it just feels like you're upset because, had it not been for her, Raki would have probably died and/or become infected...why are you upset because of that?

It would be a cop-out if Raki survived due to complete random/ridiculous circumstances...but it's not like Raki didn't know Priscilla, and her method makes sense....*shrug
I don't think you understood anything I was trying to say. I'm just pointing out Raki will not be killed because of the type of character he is to the story. I'm not saying he survived Priscilla and should have died. I'm saying that the plot is designed so that he will never die, the author won't kill him (The plot will still be crafted well, but it will protect him.), that is my belief. He may witness Claire's death (hypothetical) and the emotional ending will come, but the author will never make it the other way around. This is not a critique of the author either, it would be unsatisfying if he did die.

I'm not upset and the author did give a good explanation. It was more original than his willpower, which was funny for the author to add and the joke fit perfectly to me.

Again, to make myself clear, I'm not criticizing the author. I merely stated Raki will never get killed, he will only get hurt and then heal afterwards. I can think he may be severely wounded at some point or lose an eye, but I don't think he will be killed. I don't have some grudge or anything, but Raki is not only the everyman character, he is also the sole witness. Sure he may have gotten an upgrade, but he is always going to be the sidekick that somehow stays alive throughout the Manga.

I said you proved my point because the plot did protect Raki. I know the explanation is good and I actually was happy about that smell thing, which was one hundred times better than the reason in the Anime. The point is that if Raki runs into an overwhelming evil character he will not die because the plot won't allow it, there will always be an explanation of why. I enjoyed his upgrade and he is a major driving force in the plot, and serves his purpose well.

Last edited by Etheral; 2011-11-22 at 23:43.
Old 2011-11-22, 23:47   Link #923
Etheral

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
@ATM: I wasn't talking about any of that. My post referred to your everybody should awaken line. It didn't really make any sense to me since it would end the manga or change it's direction into, almost literally, an entirely new series.

However, now that I think about it, the WTF also applies to the desire for a blood-bath. It just doesn't make sense to me. I agree that Rachel and Nina can die (though I do find Nina's technique highly interesting) but I believe Audrey is going to serve some purpose in the future. Out of all the warriors of this generation (besides Miata and Clarice of course) we've gotten the most info about Audrey - her personality, her fighting style, her set of morals and how she views the world; we've even gotten some foreshadowing about her from Yagi during her "I didn't fight at full power" convo with Miria and the almost creepy looks that seem to be dominate her face now. So I don't want her to die, at least until she's proven all her worth or lack of it.
This is why I like this fight, anyone of the Claymores could die in this battle or survive. I really don't know what the author is planning and that's why killing off characters and introducing them, is refreshing in this manga. Now if only it released weekly and was more popular
Old 2011-11-23, 08:53   Link #924
Shiek927
Thread Hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etheral View Post
I don't think you understood anything I was trying to say. I'm just pointing out Raki will not be killed because of the type of character he is to the story. I'm not saying he survived Priscilla and should have died. I'm saying that the plot is designed so that he will never die, the author won't kill him (The plot will still be crafted well, but it will protect him.), that is my belief. He may witness Claire's death (hypothetical) and the emotional ending will come, but the author will never make it the other way around. This is not a critique of the author either, it would be unsatisfying if he did die.

I'm not upset and the author did give a good explanation. It was more original than his willpower, which was funny for the author to add and the joke fit perfectly to me.

Again, to make myself clear, I'm not criticizing the author. I merely stated Raki will never get killed, he will only get hurt and then heal afterwards. I can think he may be severely wounded at some point or lose an eye, but I don't think he will be killed. I don't have some grudge or anything, but Raki is not only the everyman character, he is also the sole witness. Sure he may have gotten an upgrade, but he is always going to be the sidekick that somehow stays alive throughout the Manga.

I said you proved my point because the plot did protect Raki. I know the explanation is good and I actually was happy about that smell thing, which was one hundred times better than the reason in the Anime. The point is that if Raki runs into an overwhelming evil character he will not die because the plot won't allow it, there will always be an explanation of why. I enjoyed his upgrade and he is a major driving force in the plot, and serves his purpose well.
Uh huh....okay, I get what your trying to say.

Though I think what may have pushed the confusion is our differing opinions on this - in that I don't agree Raki is invincible; no character is so important that they are irreplacable and will never be killed.

I want him to live, sure, but I wouldn't be worried about his brushes with death if I knew he was never going to die. Little I can say to show why, other then that's my own belief. It does seem like Yagi definitely has shown favoritism to certain characters by how they can survive seemingly ridiculous situations (to our eventual annoyance), but, as far as we can tell, their is nothing set in stone that says x-character(s) will never be killed.

Well, I guess when the end of the story comes, we'll see who's left and figure out how/why.
Old 2011-11-23, 11:09   Link #925
White Silver King
The Isley

Quote:
Now if only it released weekly and was more popular
Now that's a statement I can agree with.
Old 2011-11-23, 19:07   Link #926
ATM

Quote:
Whops forget about my last post then. However, you misunderstood me as well. I don’t want any of the ghosts to awake (or maybe yes, but only if they can control it and return to being normal afterwards) or die, I didn’t even use the word “should”. I was exaggerating a possibility, a contrast to the fact that without Miria there would be a blood bath, but with her in the picture, so far no one’s been fatally injured. The way I see it is that characters are going to be killed in the near future, I will like them to be Audrey and co, but somehow looks like is Miria the one who is going to die.

Quote:
However, now that I think about it, the WTF also applies to the desire for a blood-bath... but I believe Audrey is going to serve some purpose in the future...So I don't want her to die, at least until she's proven all her worth or lack of it.
Audrey is a high ranking claymore and she is very skilled I agree with you on that. But I find her very rude. I think she is just one big meanie in a sort of passive-agressive way. And she had a chance to use her kinectic manipulation technique on Cassandra, but I have no idean why she didn't.

Etheral, Raki is sponsored by Isley, Priscila and Clare so no one should mess up with him! :P

have a happy thanksgiving everyone!
Old 2011-11-23, 19:25   Link #927
Nixl

Oh no, I think Blade of the Immortal is coming to an end. This...sucks. Hard.
Old 2011-11-23, 20:19   Link #928
White Silver King
The Isley

Quote:
And she had a chance to use her kinectic manipulation technique on Cassandra, but I have no idean why she didn't.
...Her what? Do you mean the Gentle Sword? If so, the manga suggests it's because she was surprised by the Dust Eater (90% of it's power in my opinion). However, this doesn't make much sense to me since her reflexes were good enough to parry several of Riful's strips simultaneously without warning.
Old 2011-11-24, 06:40   Link #929
Demon6666

Quote:
...Her what? Do you mean the Gentle Sword? If so, the manga suggests it's because she was surprised by the Dust Eater (90% of it's power in my opinion). However, this doesn't make much sense to me since her reflexes were good enough to parry several of Riful's strips simultaneously without warning.
Well, the dust eater technique is basically the cheapest and most efficient fighting style that i've seen. It exploits weaknesses in an enemies' defence. Reflexes don't really have much to do with it really due to the sheer unorthodox nature of it. Audrey seems to have no problem using her technique against direct attacks, but when it comes to attacks that come from weird angles it seems she isn't used to defending herself like that. Nobody really is. That's why the dust eater is so effective. I don't think anyone would be able to defend themselves propery against the dust eater during their first encounter with it.

edit: just thought of a good analogy: Think of an average claymore as a karate fighter. They are used to direct attacks with a lot of power behind them. Now take a karate master against a drunken boxing master and the karate master will probably lose in a serious fight. reason being, in drunken boxing (kung fu), is a style specifically designed to confuse enemies and exploit weaknesses in defenses to confuse and overwhelm opponents throughout attacks from weird angles and clever counters using unorthodox methods.

Last edited by Demon6666; 2011-11-24 at 06:54.
Old 2011-11-24, 06:55   Link #930
Asimati

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon6666 View Post
Well, the dust eater technique is basically the cheapest and most efficient fighting style that i've seen. It exploits weaknesses in an enemies' defence. Reflexes don't really have much to do with it really due to the sheer unorthodox nature of it. Audrey seems to have no problem using her technique against direct attacks, but when it comes to attacks that come from weird angles it seems she isn't used to defending herself like that. Nobody really is. That's why the dust eater is so effective. I don't think anyone would be able to defend themselves propery against the dust eater during their first encounter with it.
That's why we got Deneave there soon. While I very much doubt it's enough vs AO Cassandra, she got the ultimate counter with the limb regen. A big missed opportunity if we don't get some of that fighting.

Quote:
Riful can hardly been doing that with full speed, she had to keep it similiar that what you expect from whatever yoki level you could feel from her. It would be suspicious and extremely lethal (for the claymores getting tested) otherwise.
Old 2011-11-24, 08:16   Link #931
fraktur
extraordinary freak storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nixl View Post
since when is a group scanlating boti on a regular basis? i thought we were behind about 2 volumes or so
Old 2011-11-24, 08:51   Link #932
Nixl

I forget the group name, but I know volume 28 was released a few days ago and by the looks of it the story will reach a conclusion in 2-3 volumes I believe. From most of the volumes I have seen, the group in question may do it by the volume rather than by the chapter, but that is speculation on my part. Nonetheless, they deserve a pat on the back.

I am going to miss the artist's artwork and definitely how well he seemed to draw the fights.
Old 2011-11-24, 10:43   Link #933
fraktur
extraordinary freak storm

not only the artworks, also the characters! i don't know many authors who can introduce characters this late in the series and still make you care for them (the 2 ninja chicks, habakis daughter, baro...)
i'm reading the chapters right now, thanks nixl i didn't know something got released. i can recommend it to anyone who reads claymore (also i still don't get why it's so unknown to most people)
Old 2011-11-24, 12:36   Link #934
Nixl

No problem, Blade of the Immortal is definitely one of my favorite manga. It has a good diversity of characters, which all are developed. It also has probably one of the more memorable villains or at least rivals that I have seen in a long time.

I seriously recommend this to anyone. The artwork is fantastic, the fights are interesting and well done, it has humor, and the characters all receive great development. On top of it all I would say that the story is original, which is rare nowadays.
Old 2011-11-25, 10:29   Link #935
Claymore!
Puff The Magic Dragon

Quote:
What exactly is the Gentle Sword? I don't understand the concept of it. what does it do?

"King's to you, Fernand"
Old 2011-11-25, 10:29   Link #936
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon6666 View Post
Well, the dust eater technique is basically the cheapest and most efficient fighting style that i've seen. It exploits weaknesses in an enemies' defence.
You can say that again, although technically a Claymore's limbs are the only defense they have unless they have a mind controlling technique. The arms are used to hold a claymore sword and their legs are used for dodging and attacking. Not only does cutting off someone's limbs exploit their defenses, but it totally eliminates the means for the enemy to both attack and defend. Anyways, I just thought I'd add something

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Old 2011-11-25, 18:41   Link #937
Korinov
The Burned Man walks!

Quote:
Well, all things must come to an end. And to be honest, I feel satisfied by the fact that the autor didn't try to stretch the plot like if it were cheese (as happens to so many mangas). Oh, and I suppose most of the main characters (including Manji) will end up dead, but that doesn't neccesarily have to be bad if it happens in a nice plotted way.

I just hope Yagi will be able to end Claymore in the same stylish way Samura is doing with Blade of the Immortal.
Old 2011-11-25, 19:25   Link #938
Nixl

You are absolutely right, but I am going to miss the hell out of Blade of the Immortal once it is over. Heck, after Claymore ends and there are no more debates going I do not know what I am going to do as a debate hobby. I'll probably be forced to go to Teamliquid (not to say I hate TL).

Edit: Wait...are my eyes deceiving me? Flagrant Flora--->Throne Invader? What is this sorcery?

Last edited by Nixl; 2011-11-25 at 21:36.
Old 2011-11-25, 21:27   Link #939
Ryus
The One Eyed King

^Agreed, if Claymore ends nowish I want it end well and I wouldnt mind it all beyond missing the chats here. However based on the last 15 chapters the odds of it ending that well is narrowing a bit the last few where good but the ones before it not as much and what's happening now just feels rushed to make events fit nicely in a single chapter, I miss the old days when events werent as contained as they are now (not saying the old chapters were purely open but they felt a bit more so than of late).

Though I would like arcs involving the mainland they dont seem as needed now as they did when yagi first introduced the idea of it... so I guess I wouldnt mind not getting it if yagi handles the ending well (if that is what he is doing)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore! View Post
What exactly is the Gentle Sword? I don't understand the concept of it. what does it do?
In short she's "claymorized" a parry and made it into a move where her yoki (presumably its yoki anyways if not itd be a bs parry sword technique the even Raki could learn) can to a greater effect use the opponents movement to send them flying in a choosen direction. A better way to think of it is Galatea's yoki manipulation but limited to after her sword makes contact with the enemy but without the weakness of a powerful enemy overpowering the manipulation (at least that we know of)
Old 2011-11-26, 00:05   Link #940
Throne Invader
Protecting the Throne

Quote:
Edit: Wait...are my eyes deceiving me? Flagrant Flora--->Throne Invader? What is this sorcery?
Ahh I just requested a name change

It's time to start letting her make her own decisions. - Mom's dermatologist~
Closed Thread