AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Aquarion Series > Past Aquarion Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-03-25, 16:51   Link #1
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Aquarion EVOL - Character Discussion - Zessica

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Zessica related.
To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Aquarion EVOL fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!
Note: Please don't use this for the specifics (i.e. episode, chapter, game, etc. discussion) there are other threads for that stuff.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whinging and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favourite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter are always welcome, but harassing people will not be tolerated.
  • Discuss, don't chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use Spoiler tags!
    Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
    • Adding a Spoiler tag:
      Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms. Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!

• Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
      Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar. Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators to locate and deal with problems quickly.

• Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
      Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly. The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.

Last edited by Klashikari; 2012-03-25 at 17:05.
Old 2012-03-26, 08:29   Link #2
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

She's headstrong, willful and playful.
Definitely the most entertaining heroine of the series so far.

JUST LOOK AT HER OUTFIT!

*smacks self*
Old 2012-03-27, 05:59   Link #3
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

Except recent episodes has her kinda spiraling down.

She's prone to jealousy even if the guy has no interest in her. That's not her fault, it's Amata's for not recognizing her feelings, but she blames others - like Mikono. She obviously has self-esteem issues.

That aside...

She is a lovable character. She has affection for her comrades even when she's upset. She cares about them greatly. She has a bit of an attitude, especially in battle, but also has brain. She's a tsundere in my book but not so over the top that I dislike her for it. (Zessica is a median for Sheryl.) Overall, I like her but she's still #5. I put Mikono, Sazanka, Yunoha, and Mix before her.
Old 2012-03-27, 07:08   Link #4
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

I do not recall her blaming Mikono for anything.
Are you referring to the episode which she was wondering what Mikono had that she lacked?

I believe she was just questioning her own qualities rather than blaming Mikono.

That said I'd like to see her development since the show seems to be building up to that.
Old 2012-03-27, 08:50   Link #5
LoveMeKags
#1 Ranka Fan!!

To answer the first statement: in the recent two episodes, she is shown being rather jealous of Amata's interactions with Mikono. Now, I can't see where she is blaming Amata, as it isn't his fault that his heart was captured by Mikono - that is life, but Mikono seems to be the one she is blaming here. Her recent moment to gather courage after Amata promises to protect Mikono shows it, as when Mikono speaks, her hand clenches. Therefore, I theorize it is Mikono who she holds jealousy towards. I find this as a large character flaw. For one, her jealousy towards Amata and Mikono's relationship is confusing, as just episodes ago, she developed a crush for him but is uncertain about her feelings. To harbor such jealousy so early is what has me falling off the track here. I also have a problem with her lack of movement despite the situation. If I am not wrong, most tsundere in her situation usually force themselves forward, not wanting to seem weak, and win the boy by doing so. Zessica seems to do quite the opposite and falls into a pit of despair, and for almost three episodes, we barely know she exists in the show. That is a large problem. But I guess I like her more than my other recent tsundere character in Macross Frontier, at least.

To answer the second statement: oh, I have no doubt that they'll develop her more. However, I wonder how much. She's already starting out with large flaws that have to be covered or fixed by the end, and we're at the halfway point. Like I said in the episode thirteen forum, unless there's a huge switch over, I doubt there will be Amata and Zessica. Her personality seems to be crumbling and fast. And that's sad, because I really liked her in the beginning. But that's not to say I don't hope for more from Zessica. I do. I really do. It will be sad if she's pushed into the background further. I think she could truly shine.

Notice that I have no qualms with Zessica personally, rather I hope she becomes a character I will love. But my hopes so far have fallen on deaf ears. However, my first choice - Mikono - seems to be doing well, at least in terms of shipping. I wouldn't mind Zessica winning Amata's heart, but she has to act, otherwise, it will be pointless to hope.
Old 2012-03-27, 08:56   Link #6
ChocoBar9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
Except recent episodes has her kinda spiraling down.

She's prone to jealousy even if the guy has no interest in her. That's not her fault, it's Amata's for not recognizing her feelings, but she blames others - like Mikono. She obviously has self-esteem issues.
Except the fact that she hasn't blamed Mikono for anything and fact she hasn't lashed out on anyone in regards to the issue. It's painfully obvious that's you're bias for Mikono if the avatar didn't make it clear enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMeKags View Post
To answer the first statement: in the recent two episodes, she is shown being rather jealous of Amata's interactions with Mikono. Now, I can't see where she is blaming Amata, as it isn't his fault that his heart was captured by Mikono - that is life, but Mikono seems to be the one she is blaming here.
She's not blaming Mikono for anything we haven't even seen a whole lot of her perspective on her envying her other then her scene in episode 11. I kinda like how you're over-exaggerating jealousy as a flaw in a character while undermining it for Mikono, nope that bias at all

Last edited by ChocoBar9; 2012-03-27 at 09:15.
Old 2012-03-27, 08:57   Link #7
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
well, for me Zessica is a good, happy go lucky girl... she's cute and sexy.. and the way she dress...*

*uhmm....I need another transfusion, its O+
Old 2012-03-27, 12:03   Link #8
Thess

Wait what? She's tsundere? Zessica is not tsundere. She's a genki Flirt. Mikono, on the other hand, is (although a mild example). I really enjoy how she deals with jealousy. It's refreshing to have it internalized and attempted to play it cool. She's pretty caring and protective with her friends.

Blaming Mikono? What?

If anything she's annoyed that Mikono seems stringing Amata around without giving him a clear message (hence: "If you don't want him, I take him") which is... well, true (but you can blame it on her mild tsundereness and past life)! She doesn't blame Mikono, if anything she developed an inferiority complex (similar to what Mikono had with her).

The best thing for Zessica is to take interest in a girl, anyway. No way that het shipping will end up happily in Aquarion. LOL.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-03-28, 04:11   Link #9
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Man, I feel really sorry for Zessica.
She backs off the flirting after developing feelings for Amata, Amata and Mikono gets glued together the next few episodes.

And she can't even get into to a casual conversation with Amata, because Amata keeps getting worried about how Mikono's going to react at him.

Sigh.
Old 2012-03-28, 07:23   Link #10
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Auch...
It is painful to see the jelly jelly Zessica every week...

I wonder what happened...
Before she realize the feeling, she goes gung ho...
But after she realize the feeling, she turns shy 1000%...

Such a pure maiden in love...
Old 2012-03-28, 07:30   Link #11
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflyingturkey View Post
And she can't even get into to a casual conversation with Amata, because Amata keeps getting worried about how Mikono's going to react at him.
Zessica has only herself to blame for that, though.

I like Zessica, she's cute and very likeable so far. Like the other main characters she's long due some development so I hope she won't be left behind in the second half.
Old 2012-03-28, 07:39   Link #12
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

^ It's because of the flirting wasn't it?

Aside from that, does anyone else notice that she could be an aversion of those Chinese Anime Girl stereotypes?
Cause Wong is a Chinese sir name.
Unless the official site says something else so I'm not sure.
Old 2012-03-28, 08:05   Link #13
miketyson

I don't read much into her having a Chinese name yet, Kawamori loves putting Chinese characters in his shows (though being Chinese seems to doom you on the romance front, if Minmay and Ranka are anything to go off of, ).

The most interesting thing about her so far is how little we actually know about her and how many different takes on her people have...with people disagreeing on exactly *what* type of character she is, and not just whether they like her or not.

EG: I'm in the camp right now that thinks she's essentially friendless -- lots of acquaintances, generally respected and well-liked, but doesn't have any good friends -- and that being the best pilot (on the girls' side, at least) is pretty much all she really has in her life. Other people definitely see her differently, and until she gets more development we don't really know what's what with her.
Old 2012-03-28, 08:42   Link #14
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Love her character, honestly - always one for the genki girls, myself.
Hopefully she'll end up happier than she's been shown to be, so far. Honestly, I don't really like her jealous phase and I hope they don't overdo it.

Old 2012-03-28, 10:15   Link #15
Thess

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Zessica has only herself to blame for that, though.

I like Zessica, she's cute and very likeable so far. Like the other main characters she's long due some development so I hope she won't be left behind in the second half.
If Kawamori and her seiyuu are to be believed, expect Zessica x Amata development in the second cour. My bet is that they will inevitably explore her past when it happens.

"Who would understand you after I die? Who else would march forward by your side?"
Old 2012-03-28, 10:47   Link #16
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by thess View Post
if kawamori and her seiyuu are to be believed, expect zessica x amata development in the second cour. My bet is that they will inevitably explore her past when it happens.
oh hell yes.
Old 2012-03-28, 13:05   Link #17
Zuul

Zessica is my second favourite character after Kagura.

I'm female so her appeal to me is due to her awesome personnality alone, not the boobs and her apparent going commando. XD

I especially liked the way she was always spot on teasing Mikono about her BS. XD And I just love genki friendly characters. They are hard to hate.

I have felt a little down with her developping that crush/love out of nowhere and getting moody about it, but I'm proud of the way she deals with the giant jelly monster inside her.
Old 2012-03-28, 15:34   Link #18
kuromitsu

>Thess

Source? (because this is how internet rumors are started...) I watched the video you linked in the ep 13 thread and while someone who speaks Chinese could check the Chinese part, from what I heard from the Japanese talk they didn't say anything about Amata, let alone AmataxZessica. Sorry.

(That said I think we can safely say that they'll explore Zessica's past or present or whatever it is that made her see Mykage's vision in ep 11 sooner or later.)

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-03-28 at 15:50.
Old 2012-03-29, 02:37   Link #19
Misslaly

I really like her she is vey likeable and about the jealousy thing she is human...(or so whe think)
But I'm curious about her past and powers.
Old 2012-03-29, 10:57   Link #20
theflyingturkey
Swordy Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misslaly View Post
I really like her she is vey likeable and about the jealousy thing she is human...(or so whe think)
But I'm curious about her past and powers.
They pretty much made it clear that her powers were telekinesis, with the whole Buddha's Palm mountain smashing and metal pole torture.

From her reaction with the mirror incident, it was pretty clear that she had no idea what the hell was going on, implying that she has greater relevance to the reincarnation plot.
Closed Thread

Tags
characters