Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2011-01-07, 19:16   Link #1781
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Well there's also the fact that they then went on and said in the OST that season 2 isn't confirmed
Exactly, tipical gainax jerking us around
Old 2011-01-07, 21:40   Link #1782
strawberrypop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
They did state it outright the story would be continued in the next season.

But obviously since it's Gainax nobody believes them until they see the first episode
That's why, I would like Gainax to just confirmed already than play with us more and more.
strawberrypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-08, 07:19   Link #1783
Dark Wing

I have one theory as to why stocking turned on panty!

remember the ghost that was squirting her ummm..."cream" and making people fat what if that "cream" infected stocking in a somehow different way and it just started to take effect. Kinda like a failsafe for the bad guy.
Old 2011-01-08, 17:04   Link #1784
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

If there's a second season, they may very well try to justify Stocking's turn somehow, but I think we all know Gainax did it for one reason and one reason only.

They did it for the lulz...
Old 2011-01-08, 22:36   Link #1785
immblueversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
There will be season 2:

It pains me to look at something so frickin' awesome and at the same time worry that it merely portrays a concept that may never come to be realized... It's almost about as bad a feeling as seeing a TV show you like being canceled without a thoroughly satisfying conclusion and then learning about all the things that could have been had it not been canceled in the first place.

Still, it gives more for the fans to muse over.

I just know what you should be doing.
immblueversion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 01:47   Link #1786
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by _kurusu_ View Post
There will be season 2:

Poor Stocking. She's crying.
Old 2011-01-09, 06:31   Link #1787
k//eternal
do you know ベアトリーチェ様?

I think most of us are aware of that, but come on. You watched an entire show full of nonsense and you've got a terminology quibble?
k//eternal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 07:01   Link #1788
ttdestroy
Hardcore meets Casual

Quote:
Originally Posted by k//eternal View Post
I think most of us are aware of that, but come on. You watched an entire show full of nonsense and you've got a terminology quibble?
Lol indeed.

Man looking at that art makes me gainax would quit screwing with us and confirm or deny, dont leave me waiting on a new season forever.
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 09:09   Link #1789
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffeerollx View Post
I wish there is a second season.

Y'know, something that really bothered me with the end of the narrative. With Panty's hymen being fixed or whatever and being a virgin again.

Losing your virginity doesn't mean when your hymen breaks, it's when you first have sexual intercourse, whether it breaks or not... You can break it when riding a bike o3o & Your hymen can simply stretch when you do it the first time.

Soooo, it confuses me as to how it works with Panty being a 'virgin' again just because her hymen is intact again...

Gainax needs to go back to sex-ed school, which is ironic as this series consists of sex or anything related to a sexual manner 99% of the time.

(Unless I'm completely wrong... which i doubt I am. If this has already been discussed I apologise, I also don't think it's off topic.)
It's a symbolism thing. Right or wrong, having a hymen has always been taken as a sign that a woman is a virgin.

And yes, you are grossly overthinking this.
Old 2011-01-09, 10:13   Link #1790
orion

Quote:
I wish there is a second season.

Y'know, something that really bothered me with the end of the narrative. With Panty's hymen being fixed or whatever and being a virgin again.

Losing your virginity doesn't mean when your hymen breaks, it's when you first have sexual intercourse, whether it breaks or not... You can break it when riding a bike o3o & Your hymen can simply stretch when you do it the first time.

Soooo, it confuses me as to how it works with Panty being a 'virgin' again just because her hymen is intact again...

Gainax needs to go back to sex-ed school, which is ironic as this series consists of sex or anything related to a sexual manner 99% of the time.

(Unless I'm completely wrong... which i doubt I am. If this has already been discussed I apologise, I also don't think it's off topic.)
No that's the focus in society. It's all about the vaginal virginity with focus on the hymen. Wiki even has info on hymen surgical repair to "restore" virginity and to provide a tighter vagina. Some women actually went thru with this. There's info about other procedures that were forced on women to insure vaginal virginity. It gets really sick in some areas of the world.

So that excuse about sports, tampons, etc stretching or breaking the hymen ain't gonna pass in certain areas. Engaging in oral sex and anal sex only still makes you technically a "virgin".
Old 2011-01-09, 17:08   Link #1791
Ballad
robots & skateboards

I just watched this show after putting it off for a while and I really wish I hadn't. I'm on episode 6 and I absolutely love this show.
Ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-01-09, 19:54   Link #1792
joshuafaramir
Book Elitist

Really, the art looks like Powerpuff Girls... I'm a bit turned off because of that.
Old 2011-01-09, 20:44   Link #1793
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuafaramir View Post
Really, the art looks like Powerpuff Girls... I'm a bit turned off because of that.
Well the style is an homage to that particular show if I'm not mistaken but don't let that put you off, it's awesome gainax insanity at it's best.
Old 2011-01-09, 21:36   Link #1794
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
I wouldn't think I was 'grossly' over-thinking it ;_;
I shouldn't of said anything...
Having the hymen=virginity discussion...

...In a series where it is actually germane to the story in a serious sense (like Dance in the Vampire Bund): Not overthinking it.
...In a series where it is tangentially discussed: Overthinking it.
...In this series (even if it is germane): Grossly overthinking it.

Of course, let's be honest. Serious discussion of pretty much anything in this series is grossly overthinking it.
Old 2011-01-09, 22:39   Link #1795
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Having the hymen=virginity discussion...

...In a series where it is actually germane to the story in a serious sense (like Dance in the Vampire Bund): Not overthinking it.
...In a series where it is tangentially discussed: Overthinking it.
...In this series (even if it is germane): Grossly overthinking it.

Of course, let's be honest. Serious discussion of pretty much anything in this series is grossly overthinking it.
Dance in the Vampire. Oh please, she was responsible for that mess. Different situation entirely.

I don't think it's grossly overthinking. Limiting virginity to vaginal virginity (and the one that leads to the reproductive organ) is archaic. Guys in the end just want to only have potential responsibility for "their" own offspring and that's why the limitation is in place. Pretty archaic in the time of birth control.
Old 2011-01-10, 01:15   Link #1796
Kismet-chan
The Chaotic Dreamer

Yeah, so, how about those Panty & Stocking sales, people? Not doin' too hot. :/ Kinda sad, I expected it to be blasting through the roof or something. Perhaps I have overestimated Gainax?
Old 2011-01-10, 02:56   Link #1797
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Dance in the Vampire. Oh please, she was responsible for that mess. Different situation entirely.

I don't think it's grossly overthinking. Limiting virginity to vaginal virginity (and the one that leads to the reproductive organ) is archaic. Guys in the end just want to only have potential responsibility for "their" own offspring and that's why the limitation is in place. Pretty archaic in the time of birth control.
Never said it wasn't an archaic or incorrect way of thinking. But our misconceptions guide our perceptions as much as the truth (if not more), and like it or not, when people think hymen, they think virgin. And it's hardly even limited to females (even if they're the only ones that can physically have them). Hell, what is it that Panty calls the virginal Brief for like the entire course of the series? "Cherry boy".

And you are thinking far too much about this, not because the subject matter isn't worthy of discussion, and not even because you're blowing it up into some misogynistic conspiracy involving a definition of virginity that no one with any sense is saying is anything more than symbolic, but because it's in the context of a series that had monsters made out of poo and vomit and an episode centered around the "nasal g-spot". Undoubtedly the only reason they even came up with the whole "angel hymen" thing is so they could get to bleep whatever the word for hymen is and come up with an in-story reason to get Brief laid (the irony of a slutty "virgin" was icing on the cake). Serious discussion of any kind is really missing the point. When you have to explain a joke, it's no longer funny.
Old 2011-01-10, 08:11   Link #1798
orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kismet-chan View Post
Yeah, so, how about those Panty & Stocking sales, people? Not doin' too hot. :/ Kinda sad, I expected it to be blasting through the roof or something. Perhaps I have overestimated Gainax?
No, this wasn't otaku material. It's more Western. Even here, it's not going to blast thru the roof.
Old 2011-01-10, 08:31   Link #1799
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Like orion said you weren't Overestimating Gainax, you were overestimating the tastes of the japanese Otaku crowd.
Old 2011-01-10, 08:43   Link #1800
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Given how Gainax is and will continue milking their two mighty cash cows dry, I think this was more of an experimental deviation that wasn't necessarily meant to rake in big profits. Heck, they could make a thirteen episode Kiyal's Magical Time series and it would sell, so they may just be throwing money into the well this time.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, gainax, seinen