AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross

Notices

Old 2011-04-19, 21:31   Link #121
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yot-chan View Post
Oops...I didn't watch the whole thing, I just saw "Ikebukuro Sunshine Cinema," and jumped to conclusions.
Completely understandable though - they were pretty vague when talking about the film, and only showed the banner at the very end

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

karice67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-10, 11:28   Link #122
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

May'n interview!
Old 2011-12-17, 10:01   Link #123
sa547
*Author

One of the main SDFM seiyuu (you know her, I don't want to say names, okay?), should you ever meet her on Facebook or Twitter, a warning to everyone beforehand: DO NOT MENTION MACROSS whenever you comment/RT/reply on any of her posts or tweets, because she'll block you if you do.

Her music, yes. Macross, no.

I credit Gubaba for explaining this to me. I got blocked (and felt like being punched in the gut) after innocently mentioning it just as I was commenting on one of her upcoming events.

Personally, it's so sad.
Old 2011-12-17, 10:16   Link #124
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

^Personally, I think that's just sad. :/
Old 2011-12-17, 10:26   Link #125
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by raile View Post
^Personally, I think that's just sad. :/
Apparently she had it enough with the fandom chasing her over the years that she decides it best that the subject should not be taken up online, even if it's just a word.

Must be really bad memories, and some of you know that. Now I understand.

*shakes head*
Old 2011-12-17, 11:57   Link #126
Tak
Catholic = Cat addiction?

Reminds me of Alec Guinness, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars. Story has it that he'd tear up any fan mail addressed to him without ever reading them, since he assumed they were all about that movie, which he described as "too loud" and one where he "can no longer withstand rehearing those banal lines".

He once forced a fan to promise him never to watch Star Wars again before giving him his autograph... Yeah...

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.
Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-17, 13:12   Link #127
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Reminds me of Alec Guinness, who played Obi-Wan Kenobi in the original Star Wars. Story has it that he'd tear up any fan mail addressed to him without ever reading them, since he assumed they were all about that movie, which he described as "too loud" and one where he "can no longer withstand rehearing those banal lines".

He once forced a fan to promise him never to watch Star Wars again before giving him his autograph... Yeah...

- Tak
Yeah, that sucked when I heard it... especially Obi-Wan is such an archetypal character in the universe.
Old 2011-12-17, 20:27   Link #128
sa547
*Author

All right, after some thinking, I conclude that she's now more Alec Guinness than George Takei. Furthermore, I think the suicide of her co-star, as well as the composer who did one of her songs were all too hard for her to take personally.
Old 2011-12-18, 01:14   Link #129
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

I just wonder how she managed to redub her lines and songs for that ADV release...
Also, George Takei is a doll.

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-12-18, 05:34   Link #130
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
I just wonder how she managed to redub her lines and songs for that ADV release...
Also, George Takei is a doll.
She was okay back then, able to do it to remember love again.

Now, not anymore; she's more focused on her indie music career, and the last thing she needs is yet another meddlesome fan mentioning the show to her.

I think she's also been scarred badly by some fans bashing her character over the years, so in a nutshell, she's fed up and is done with Macross.
Old 2011-12-18, 11:23   Link #131
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
She was okay back then, able to do it to remember love again.
But that was just... What? Five, six years ago?
Oh well, everyone has their own breaking point, right? Best of luck to her...

Also, on the matter of Sir Alec Guinness... He must have done a little jiggle wherever he is, when he heard about the SW Special Editions, eh?

Old 2011-12-18, 11:32   Link #132
Yot-chan
Minmay Guard

Quote:
But that was just... What? Five, six years ago?
Oh well, everyone has their own breaking point, right? Best of luck to her...
She's been that way off and on for many, MANY years.

Or, as she put it when I saw her in...2003? 2004? Somewhere around there... (and I quote, as in verbatim): "I've made twenty fucking albums and all people remember is Macross!"

Her own albums are quite good, by the way.
Old 2011-12-18, 16:14   Link #133
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Yeah, well... One cannot really choose what one will be remembered for. If one is remembered at all.

Old 2011-12-18, 20:37   Link #134
sa547
*Author

Quote:
"I've made twenty fucking albums and all people remember is Macross!"
QFT, no doubt.

--------------
Now on to the good news, found by a fellow fan:

http://stblog.stardust-web.net/nakaj...entry_id=25186
Quote:
Today's experience, with Aya Endo-san in Joysound's event, was afureko with MacrossF fans (^^)

At karaoke room in a very close distance, dubbing and talking was fun! In a friendly, peaceful atmosphere time passed too quickly, in a blink of time. Of course really meeting is a happy [thing], isn't it.

To everyone who participated thank you very much! By the way, doing lines of tv series's Ranka was quite nostalgic~. "Onii-chan no baka!"

ehehe

And after event we took two-shot with Aya-san☆

Though meeting all the time, [you truly are] beautiful... (kira kira)
Lovely Sheryl-sama!
THIS.

Now I feel better this time.
Old 2011-12-19, 19:03   Link #135
Tak

Quote:
I've made twenty fucking albums and all people remember is Macross!
Yeah, yeah...

I am sure being remembered as Lin Minmei is better than the guy with the Sheryl dress...

While I have not done remotely as much as our dear Mari, I can understand!

- Tak

Remember, the toes you step on today may be connected to the @ss you have to kiss tomorrow.

Last edited by Tak; 2011-12-19 at 19:46.
Old 2011-12-20, 06:46   Link #136
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist

Now, that's a fine sig. Where's it from?

Old 2011-12-20, 14:23   Link #137
Tak

Quote:
Now, that's a fine sig. Where's it from?
The one and only Shizuru Fujino/Viola (and her pet Natsuki), voiced by my all time favorite Naomi Shindou.

- Tak (no, I cannot show the rest of the pic )

Old 2012-05-18, 00:16   Link #138
sa547
*Author

Finally, she cracked up and pulls off a William Shatner on her Facebook.
Quote:
"Every time I speak my mind about Macross or Minmay, people take it negatively. Like I don't like it / like her or I haven't accepted it as a part of my life. Maybe you guys have NEVER been typecast as one thing for years and years in life?

We all need to move on in life. I do daily. More than anyone! But at the same time, my life is like the film The Groundhog's Day for the last 30 years. I move...d to the States I thought it would ease my frustration but guess what, it didn't. Surprise, surprise. lol If you hear the same thing again and again, over and over for 30 years every day, even YOU can get tired of it.

Is there anyone who is willing to put yourself into my shoes? I guess not . . . instead, people just start criticizing me like I'm bad mouthing your favorite anime. I simply get tired of hearing about it from time to time. I can hold for a while. But today . . . after I talked about how inspired I am musically and shared my insight with you, I couldn't bare hearing about it again. Even if I was talking about let's say . . . my poop or boobs, you guys start talking about Macross right away. How crazy is that. I'm completely being honest here.

I didn't build my career based on Macross. I'm ALL ABOUT MUSIC. Take it or leave it. If you hate me because of my honesty, what can I say. I guess we are not on the same wave length.

I gotta get back to my life. My sons are graduating from college tomorrow. I'm a mom also. I raised them as a divorced single mother since 1996 and I'm darn proud of it. And!!! I'm in the middle of making my 22nd original full album. Thanks guys...".
In other words, I'll not be surprised if she sues anyone trying to "harass" her.

Ma'am... You had all the time beyond Macross -- lots of it which could have allowed you more artistic freedom -- to do something different and evolve as a singer, but the biggest roadblock for you is yourself. Now that you've said it, you're done.

I'm sorry but I'll be putting my money on Nakajima and May'n from now on.

------------
EDIT: Originally from my post at MWF:
------------

Quote:
Finally, a thread about her pulling off a "Get a Life". I got my arse kicked twice just because of admiring, and this might as well be the best place to get this issue off my chest.

I hear that someone listened to her songs on live at an anime expo, and according to him, most of them were all about unrequited love.

It makes for startling contrast that while May'n and Nakajima were able to go a step beyond Frontier in terms of achievement as singers, Mari's pretty much stuck up, never got to progress or diversify or evolve beyond that single pinnacle of success in 1982. I mean, she's that big "could-have, would-have, should-have" who's also saddled with personal issues.

If she were to debut right now as a singer, Mari would've have a lot more options to choose from to bring out her music to the world. Yet in 1982 everything depended on her agency, who did the talking, the deals, and determined how much she's getting. And then I'm sure even at that time there's hundreds of other small-league idols doing the same thing, going from discovery to short-lived fame to disposal, never lasting a year. Had it not for her being asked by BIg West to do Minmay on the strength of her songs, she would've been an obscure housewife writing songs on the side and singing them in an out-of-the-way cabaret.

She could've used her fame as a springboard to better and bigger things. But she didn't, because she imposed the limits on herself... and damn, Pink Lady and Seiko Matsuda had it much better.

Last edited by sa547; 2012-05-18 at 03:50.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-05-18, 03:16   Link #139
raile
Retired Toaster
*Author

^ Hmmm...okay, WOW.
Old 2012-05-18, 03:56   Link #140
sa547
*Author

*shakes head* What sad and amazing timing: first we had Noburo Ishiguro signing off this plane of existence, and now this, even though I think she's still receiving royalties in the mail.