AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-07-23, 21:35   Link #481
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoru Chujo View Post
I agree, but not for the same reason. I can accept that Yui didn't know about the effect, since it is apparently not part of actual karate training. But for her to be "cured" in one blow seems cartoony to me. That's more like a single workshop exercise than a course of treatment to cure an ingrained psychological problem. I will be much happier if it turns out that she feels easier toward only Taichi, and still has a ways to go with other guys.

That aside, however, this show is hitting on all cylinders for me. And I can hardly blame them for including a scene that generates so much interest, whatever its other faults.
I don't think she was cured in 1 sitting, since she was still shivering when she mock punched him by the river. I think the point is that she's moving on after that hit where she knows that she as a girl can beat a guy after all. She's getting interested in karate again shows that she's stopped feeling helpless against guys.

BTW, anyone else feels Iori saying "It doesn't matter to me" seems a bit forced? A bit ooc to me...
JokerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 21:45   Link #482
Flawfinder
Loves the Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
This isn't Working!! - I don't think you were supposed to find it moe...
That was a joke. And I never watched Working!! I honestly don't care too much about the kick scene because I can't stand Taichi's character/personality, so anything he does just comes off as "meh" for me.

My Awesome Anime Blog: Standing On My Neck
Flawfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-23, 23:42   Link #483
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Yui is FAR from cured. She was still shaking when she punched Taichi as someone already said.

She was always good at hiding it, and she's trying to overcome it by showing that she can touch boys (Notice how she gave him a pat on the back, and then a few others as though she was happy with herself for being able to achieve that. She didn't put her hand on his shoulder or something)

Rather than worrying about Iori (who apparently is the weakest of them all, according to Inaban) I'm worrying about the ice-queen Inaban.

My heart for the ice-queens.

INABAAAAAAAAAAAN

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 01:33   Link #484
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

After rewatching the third episode, I find it deeply fascinating how the show manages to somehow peel off the stigma of being a plotless moe series that was probably unfairly put on it when the series began, and present one of the stronger shows based on friendship dynamics I've seen in a while.

Time to eat my hat I guess.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 01:38   Link #485
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeoTwister5 View Post
After rewatching the third episode, I find it deeply fascinating how the show manages to somehow peel off the stigma of being a plotless moe series that was probably unfairly put on it when the series began, and present one of the stronger shows based on friendship dynamics I've seen in a while.

Time to eat my hat I guess.
I think that the K-On-esque character designs had a strong psychological effect on some people (including myself, at least to some degree, I'll admit). The character designs alone made people think "K-On" and so there was an expectation that this anime would be like K-On (some plot but nothing all that serious, mostly lighthearted, etc...).

Another factor was how the first half of the first episode (i.e. the Pre-Air download, at least for some of us) was by far the most lighthearted and "conventional high school moe" section of the show thus far. Some people watched that before they watched the full first episode, and it caused some ideas to settle in.
Old 2012-07-24, 05:40   Link #486
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
BTW, anyone else feels Iori saying "It doesn't matter to me" seems a bit forced? A bit ooc to me...
That was exactly the point of that scene. Inaba tells us how Iori is suffering and vulnerable and a bit latter we get what is clearly Iori reacting to something that probably hurts her very much by pretending to be completely unfazed by it as you saw.

Of course it doesn't help that the PV for the show actually spoiled a bit of this particular storyline thread but I'm still very curious to see how it plays out and what motivations and issues are behind Iori's apparently well-humoured façade.
Old 2012-07-24, 08:54   Link #487
Arturia Polaris
Good OP Hunter

Thank god I didn't watch the PV then.

Spoiler for Kokoro Connect episode 3:

In any case, great episode. Enjoying this a lot.

Arturia

My fanfiction works include:

Tari Tari: Past and Present, As the Gentle Breeze Blows
Little Busters: Bird's Song
Sword Art Online: Vanquishing of the Laughing Coffin

My own works include: Social Fact
Arturia Polaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 09:48   Link #488
kazzuya13

My friend got kick in the nuts in the past. And he needed cause 1 of his nuts apparently burst.
kazzuya13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 10:30   Link #489
nojay
Scanlator

Getting away from the focus on testicular abuse for a moment...

One of the backgrounds in episode 3 revealed that the show is set in Yokohama. The skyline just after the talking-heads garbage patrol scene was the Minato Mirai area down by the shoreline revealing the "orange-segment" shape of the Yokohama Grand hotel, the Landmark Tower (the tallest building in Japan) and the Queens Mall buildings. The weird thing is that they missed out the Cosmo Ferris wheel which is a major Yokohama landmark in its own right.
Old 2012-07-24, 12:15   Link #490
Snuffle
likes cute things

Not really impressed on how Mr.Selfless handled that situation.. Mainly because I've read true stories about girls kicking guys there for their own amusement or just because they're plain upset, it's disturbingly becoming more common. Result is, they cause enough damage that the guy has to be sent to the hospital which ends up having the injured testicle removed. In consequence, I think lowers or removes the ability for him to have children. And yes, girls CAN kick that hard... heck, you don't even NEED to be that strong to cause serious damage there...

However, if she really was in danger, I can approve of however she chooses to cause damage to the guy. But I'm worried because I see "orange hair girl" (forgot her name) being a bit too unstable and might choose to attack there for uncalled reasons.

But anyway, so far I'm 50/50 with this show. This whole body/soul swapping thing could've been more interesting if they had to spend more than 30 minutes changed. If it was something like an hour or more, then okay, that would be more interesting.

Spoiler for For those who haven't seen Nyaruko:
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 12:56   Link #491
Arya

Well, all depend on what Mr body-swapping-master goto is up to. At first I thought he was giving them a warm-up short swapping time to be accustomed to the whole thing, leaving a full day body swap experience for later. But it could be a less logic and more random scheme, related at the context of the moment.
Anyways, is Mr goto trying to help them or is he simply enjoying himself? Probably Both. Though the narrative works better with little spans of swapping time for now, until we won't know each character better and each personal issues.
And what really matters it is not the span of time but the timing. As Taichi has already demonstrated.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 14:50   Link #492
LKK

@Arya, @Snuffle: I guess you both missed the statement in the 2nd episode that they had just come off of a 3-day long switch and how difficult it was. That was partly what prompted the question & answer session of who had screwed up while swapped and the decision to lay down some ground rules for what to do & not do while swapped.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 15:11   Link #493
Snuffle
likes cute things

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
@Arya, @Snuffle: I guess you both missed the statement in the 2nd episode that they had just come off of a 3-day long switch and how difficult it was. That was partly what prompted the question & answer session of who had screwed up while swapped and the decision to lay down some ground rules for what to do & not do while swapped.
Hmm that's interesting.. Unless I'm watching some messed up subs, that was not hinted in that scene at all. In fact, the orange hair girl was shuddering to the thought of having to learn how to use the restroom as a guy which for me implies that they have not had a body swap long enough for anyone to need use the restroom. Although the genki girl says she had to learn, but it's not really known if she was joking or not.
Snuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:05   Link #494
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

I know in episode 2 they commented on three people switching, but I can't find any mention of a 3-day long switch.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:26   Link #495
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I know in episode 2 they commented on three people switching, but I can't find any mention of a 3-day long switch.
Nor did I. Highly skeptical to say the least.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:27   Link #496
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Rather than a 3 day long switch, wouldn't it make more sense to be 3 days of body switching?
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:32   Link #497
sikvod00

^ Ah, that does make more sense. A 3-day long switch would demand at least one episode dedicated to it; a mini-arc would be more appropriate. I can just imagine the amount of chaos and angst that would follow. The writers would be crazy to skip something like that.
sikvod00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:45   Link #498
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Rather than a 3 day long switch, wouldn't it make more sense to be 3 days of body switching?
Ah, maybe that's the phrasing I'm thinking of. I admit that I didn't go back and verify the subtitles, but I clearly remember "three" being mentioned at the beginning of the scene.

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 16:58   Link #499
Arya

I couldn't find any reference either.
And I agree with sikvod00 that the writers should be crazy to skip such a big event, in a three days body swapping they would/will face many things like going to the toilet, changing, having a shower at least? ... definitely too many things to handle, I don't think the writers are going to go so far.

The meaning of things lies not in the things themselves, but in our attitude towards them.
Arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-24, 18:17   Link #500
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Excellente ... this series is actually becoming a bit more "serious" than I expected it to be before it began.

Also agree with the others that the sequence of the hand to hand combat expert not knowing the weak point of the male sex and the male lead showing her through living experience by kicking himself between the legs was a bit farfetched, but ... well ... I will overlook it ftm. I guess?

Tags
body swapping, comedy, drama, romance, shounen, slice of life