AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2016-04-16, 14:24   Link #161
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernietheracefan View Post
Will Moka became another Mami/Kamina..??
I wouldn't rule it out. She doesn't seem to have a place among the main cast, but she's too prominent to remain a side character. Killing her off solves the problem, and also serves to provide motivation and character growth for Mike.
Old 2016-04-16, 14:27   Link #162
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Interesting...

There is some implication going on in this show. In particular, it is possible that heaver-than-air flying was never invented. The talk about helium and hydrogen balloons suggest that they never left the zeppelin age. This explains the absence of Aircraft Carriers. And all of a sudden battleships are back in business.

Consider that Japan is now a series of islands, if they had planes they would have used them more often. But we haven't seen any...
Yes ... I also thought the little tidbits dropped here and there were kinda curious ... in the Girls and Panzer anime these sorts of things were dimly hinted at, and that helped strengthen the setting by being vague for me. But here I wonder if they will do a similar approach, go into more detail, or ... ?

Anyhoo yes, ep 02 was downright interesting and engaging - I am enjoying this series' start quite a bit.

Will also be interesting to see what unfolds with regards to the person they picked up (another source of surprising information?) and how the thing with the Musashi begins to work out ... there are quite a few ways I can guess the story going. (Then again I am notoriously bad at guessing story development, so ... )
Old 2016-04-16, 14:35   Link #163
Wandering Soul

These girls can't catch a break. More and more problems keep arising.

They got attacked by the Admiral spree, ended up saving someone that left that ship, and finally got a distress call from Moka. Wonder what the truth behind all of this is.

Poor Mashirp. She really wanted to be captain, but alas, it wasn't meant to be. Maybe next time she'll check and make sure she is filling in the right columns.

The Harekaze has some cool looking Jet skies.
Old 2016-04-16, 14:43   Link #164
Ernietheracefan

Where are Hopper, Nagata & USS Missouri when we need them to hunt these girls..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 14:45   Link #165
Kazu-kun

The Musashi doesn't seem to be under attack, so either Moka's lying or the problem is internal (an actual mutiny or sabotage).

Also, if Moka's to be trusted, the Musashi is hundreds of miles away from where she should be. The mysteries keep piling up.
Old 2016-04-16, 15:34   Link #166
Ernietheracefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marina2 View Post
Look like engine room crews are not so found of Mike so far.... Actually, they are only one group that seem to 'dislike' Mike, especially 'Kuro' and 'Maron'. Also, I just found out that 'Kuro' and 'Maron' are main characters in prequel manga.
I hope that problem would be settled quickly..

The LOL moment: Mikey & I shared the same zodiac & bloodtype..

While comparing Tamayura with Aria is more like comparing Vividred with SW.
Ernietheracefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 15:52   Link #167
Metaneo
Anime Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
The Musashi doesn't seem to be under attack, so either Moka's lying or the problem is internal (an actual mutiny or sabotage).

Also, if Moka's to be trusted, the Musashi is hundreds of miles away from where she should be. The mysteries keep piling up.
My first thought was that the Musashi is being used to lure the Harekaze into an ambush, whether Moka is on board with the idea has yet to be seen.
Metaneo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 15:59   Link #168
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
But the Sarushima clearly has a helipad on its rear.
A landing pad of some description. I didn't say they don't have means to fly, just the lack of heavier than air flight.
Old 2016-04-16, 15:59   Link #169
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaneo View Post
My first thought was that the Musashi is being used to lure the Harekaze into an ambush
This part at least is pretty obvious considering how this show operates.
Old 2016-04-16, 17:33   Link #170
Nachtwandler
Yurifag

And I don't think Moka will be an enemy. Neither I think she tries to lure Mike in trap. There will be some sort of a trap for sure but I don't think Moka is tying to lure Harukaze in it.
Nachtwandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 18:12   Link #171
Yamada II

Episode 2
Interesting stuff here.

The story told about Japan here was that some shit happened and now there are a lot of ship islands. The military ships are given for civilian use and are manned by females because they supposedly won't use the ships to fight.

And this is where the present problem with the Harukaze comes in. I think someone is trying to defame the Blue Mermaids. Their taking out the newcomers first and then will go up. They used the instructor's ship to start all this by forcing the Harukaze to return fire. Then they used the German ship to do the same. The Harukaze has officially mutinied and it will take quite some convincing to clear their name. The story with Mako is probably also the same. Mako's ship is the biggest one if I remember correctly, her crew is probably cornered or she doesn't want to retaliate. This is most likely not a training session or anything because things have reached the higher-ups.

Mike took good care of the German ship and I think her saving the drowning kinpatsu is like a gesture of goodwill. But then this can be used against them. The Harukaze attacked the Spree and took a hostage. Risky move by Mike considering the situation her ship is in.

This is so not a simple slice of life show as I first expected. It's similar to School Live, as in, there are cute girls doing stuff moments, but it also gets pretty serious at times. And I hope it stays this way because it's pretty cool right now.
Yamada II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 18:20   Link #172
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I feel like pointing out a few things over the combat action in this episode.

1. The engine's only capable of going into 4th combat speed, 27 knots. You have to remember that the steam turbine drive on these destroyers do not respond instantaneously, and normal acceleration to top speed can take 30 minutes, and it's normally slowly 'shifted' to high gear. Steam leak can be fatal, and even today, you aren't going into the turbine room while it's in operation.
The Harekaze also went to full speed by the conclusion of the engagement, which is not sustainable for any vessel. The Chief Engineer is not joking when she said that the engine could blow from this sort of strain of battle.

2. Graf Spee was going at 20 knots and accelerating, and their range is less than 10k yards. Even if the Harekaze breaks off, it has zero zone of immunity to speak of, and we should assume that these kids rock vessels may have radar-controlled gunfire. Harekaze going in figure 8 takes advantage of the fact that the Deutschland's rate of train is 5°/s, not enough to keep pace with the Kagerou class going at 20 odd knots. (keep in mind that going figure 8 slows the effective velocity of the Kagerou class as you incur higher drag on the hull).

3. Turn circle of the Kagero class should be around 600 odd meters (confirmed to be 700m). A full circle for the Kagerou should take anywhere from 15-20 seconds to execute, covering the circumference of 1800-2000m going just above 20 knots. There are dead angles to the Deutschland class, but the problem is that the secondary armaments (15cm SK C 28) would be able to engage them with impunity at those dead angles where the Harekaze is protected by being adjacent to the ship's superstructures on the two flanks.

4. Mike's command was to target the screw. There's very logical rational behind this. First being that most vessels do not armor the rudder room itself, and that that range, the 12.7/50 can indeed make an impression and be accurate enough to penetrate just enough and not lose too much kinetic energy from a below the waterline shot. Engaging within 3000m is highly dangerous, but the possibility of landing a crippling blow to the tendon of the Graf Spee does exist. Moreover, at this range, the Harekaze can target the ship's radar, FCS and rangefinders. By the way, if you can knock the screws out, you may very well damage the diesel generators, thus forcing the Graf Spee into using backup power and seriously hamper the vessel's combat abilities.

5. Wilhelmina's sudden appearance bought Harekaze more time to execute her combat maneuver as the secondaries became preoccupied with engaging the speedboat, instead of taking out Harekaze. I cannot comment on Mike's gamble, but her action on the speedboat bought even more time for the ship to incapacitate the Graf Spee.
6. The Graf Spee landed a blow on the Harekaze that could have been fatal. A blow on the Depth Charge rack was what killed the Japanese Destroyer Kisaragi back at Wake Island in WW2. Harekaze faced very real prospect of destruction with all hands in that engagement.

(Edit: The reason why I suggest that we should assume that the ships have radio directed gunfire ability is in that the surface search radars on the vessels come standard)

It would be enough for the depressing things in life to only exist in reality.
It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Last edited by panzerfan; 2016-04-16 at 18:36.
panzerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 18:37   Link #173
Kazu-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamada II View Post
The story with Mako is probably also the same. Mako's ship is the biggest one if I remember correctly, her crew is probably cornered or she doesn't want to retaliate. This is most likely not a training session or anything because things have reached the higher-ups.
If Moka can't deal with that sort of situation on her own, I'd question her ability as a captain. After getting hyped as an excellent leader and all, that would be pretty disappointing.

I think I might prefer if she was on Furushou's side all along and was deliberately luring Mike into a trap.
Old 2016-04-16, 18:42   Link #174
FlameSparkZ
the "Z" is for "Zeta"

My, this is quite the surprise of the season. They really fooled us with the first half of ep1
And now this ep...Harekaze is in for quite a ride. I can't help but spin some theories of what's happening behind the scenes

But I find odd that Harekaze only had one torpedo, luckly a dummy one...or was it?
One of my theories is that the "dummy torpedo" was actually a live one painted to look like a dummy...all part of some conspiracy to ruin the reputation of either the Blue Mermaids as a whole, or Mashiro's mother (the Principal), by making it look like her own daughter mutinied.

Well, only time will tell.
Old 2016-04-16, 18:54   Link #175
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazu-kun View Post
If Moka can't deal with that sort of situation on her own, I'd question her ability as a captain. After getting hyped as an excellent leader and all, that would be pretty disappointing.

I think I might prefer if she was on Furushou's side and was deliberately luring Mike to a trap.
A few things. Take a look at this map plotted by anon on /a/.

1. The chief navigator indicated to the captain prior to the engagement that it would take 36 hours at cruising speed (18 knots) to reach Yokosuka, which puts them at 648NM away from Yokosuka prior to the action against Graf Spee (746mi/1200km).

2. Musashi has a cruising speed of 18 knots as well. Based on this diagram, we may need to assume that the Musashi is more than double the distance between her and the port of Yokosuka. It's been out sailing for some time.

3. Asuncion which has the depth of 50m, which is more than enough to support the Musashi. You are close to nowhere over this island, taking you about as long to reach the Philippines, Taiwan, Okinawa, Kyushu, Shikoku or Honshu.

It is because that I think the birth of a story... is from people dreaming of a happy ending. ~Misaka Shiori

Old 2016-04-16, 19:10   Link #176
lfhoule

Great episode, and I'm officially hooked. A couple of things that I would like to point out that I mentioned on other forums. The first is that while they do have radar for navigation and search, I do believe that they are running WW II stock equipment for their fire control systems for each ship, and if you never got it, you don't have it. This is why Harekaze's radical movements, speed changes and smoke screens were being effective at short range. Plus, even at point blank range, the dice gods are NOT your friends.
Speaking about depth charges, Harekaze only has / had one charge on board, which (if it was real...) would have gone off during episode 1 when the instructor ship landed a shell in the stern.
lfhoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2016-04-16, 19:17   Link #177
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfhoule View Post
Great episode, and I'm officially hooked. A couple of things that I would like to point out that I mentioned on other forums. The first is that while they do have radar for navigation and search, I do believe that they are running WW II stock equipment for their fire control systems for each ship, and if you never got it, you don't have it. This is why Harekaze's radical movements, speed changes and smoke screens were being effective at short range. Plus, even at point blank range, the dice gods are NOT your friends.
Speaking about depth charges, Harekaze only has / had one charge on board, which (if it was real...) would have gone off during episode 1 when the instructor ship landed a shell in the stern.
Which forum did you talk about it? I've able to identify X band and S band surface search radars on the Harekaze. The other thing is that I am not sure if their FCS is just WW2 stock.

They are running on so few a staff that one person onboard is in charge of the gun elevation, another training and the third for all loading operations. If you have this level of automation, then FCS connecting directly to radar would be expected almost.

Although, as with OTL, the Japanese tincans didn't even have analog computers onboard. The torpedo officers had to do the number crunching on paper to determine the angle and speed settings then, and that may be the same with the Harekaze.

Old 2016-04-16, 21:09   Link #178
Master_Yoma
Nekokota Festival

Akeno really taking to being the captain but she got gut at less

Kouko is really shining and so fun
Old 2016-04-16, 22:09   Link #179
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

I want to clear a confusion people may have about the "Screw shot". That was a mistranslation.

Mike is asking for a direct shot aimed to take out the screw shaft.
The whole talk on the bridge is about whether or not if the Harekaze can land a below the waterline shot and take out this propeller shaft as that part of the ship is not armored.

the vice captain is referring to a specially engineered armor-piercing shot (Type 93) that was made for 20.3cm cruiser guns and up, where the ballistic cap will shear off upon impact with water and the shell will plunge down, with the shell carrying most of its kinetic energy for dozens of meters as you hit below the waterline where the joint of the armored belt would make for a vulnerable point of entry.
The matter of remaining kinetic energy is important because water resistance is big and takes a lot of oomph out of your shell

Edit:
Now, why would you want to cripple the Graf Spee this way?

1. Taking out the screw shaft renders the Graf Spee lame.
2. Graf Spee's diesel generators would suffer damage, and this is serious enough that her electrical system may fail, that her generators would overload, causing a fire, that her reduction gear may catastrophically fail, or a combination of all those things.

Old 2016-04-16, 22:36   Link #180
panzerfan
Name means little...
*Graphic Designer

Here's the telegraph and the speed that we are talking about. Red means reverse.

停止: Dead stop.
微速: Slow speed, 6 knots or so, for port maneuvers and whatnot.
半速: Half speed.
原速: normal speed, base cruising speed, usually 15-16 knots
強速: high speed, increase by 2-3 knots, close to 20 knots or so here.
第一戦速: First combat speed:
第二戦速: Second combat speed:
第三戦速: Third combat speed.
第四戦速: Fourth combat speed.
第五戦速: Fifth combat speed.
最大戦速: Max speed. 35.5 knots on the Kagerou class
一杯: immediate overboost. Melt the boiler.

Spoiler for large image showing the telegraph:

Tags
school life, sea battles, ship girls