AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Code Geass

Notices

Old 2009-05-05, 02:16   Link #1
Nobodyman9
Banned

The purpose of this thread is to provide a place to discuss all things Shirley related.

To keep the discussion enjoyable for all Code Geass fans, please follow the guidelines below and stay on-topic!

Note: Please don't use this for the specific episode talk, there are already threads serving that purpose.
Thread Guidelines
  • No campaigning!
    No "hate" or "xyz must die" posts. Discuss why you do or don't like characters without whining and whining or blatantly campaigning for your favorite.
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
    Do not insult or harass other members for their likes and dislikes. Do not take it so seriously that you end up in an argument with another forum member because they express a fondness for a character you loathe. Discussion and good spirited banter is always welcome, but harassing people won't be tolerated.
  • Discuss, not Chat.
    Please remember that AnimeSuki is a discussion forum, not a chat room, there is a difference. If you wish to chat, then please make use of our IRC channel (#animeuki) on ZiRC.
  • Have fun, but post intelligently.
    It's great to have fun, but please try your best to add substance to what you post and make your thoughts interesting for the generation of fans that will follow after you’re long gone and on to watching some other series.
  • Use spoiler tags!Spoilers are allowed, but they must be enclosed in spoiler tags clearly marked with a proper title. Failure to do this can result in a BAN.
  • Adding a Spoiler tag:
    Just highlight your spoiler and click the button found
    on the "Quick Reply" and "Reply to Thread" forms.
    Make sure that you include a title for the spoiler!
  • Please use the Report button if you see any spoilers:
    Click the button found to the left of the post, just under the poster's avatar.
    Using the Report button is anonymous and helps the Moderators
    to locate and deal with problems quickly.
  • Posting prohibited spoilers may result in a ban.
    Note: Reporting a post does not mean the poster will be banned instantly.
    The Moderators will use bans if warnings are repeatedly ignored.
Nobodyman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 02:27   Link #2
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

... holy shit.

I didn't think you'd get this made.

Consider me impressed.

Last edited by Rising Dragon; 2009-05-05 at 02:59.
Rising Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 02:35   Link #3
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
... holy shit.

I didn't think you'd get this made.

Consider me impressed.
*stands in awe*

Well....that makes two of us. Holy schnaps.

...well everyone. Discuss away!
Old 2009-05-05, 02:45   Link #4
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Ow, i'm impressed too.

So, bring a topic Nobody, cause i don't have any ideas...

Ah, but i got a question: Shirley's mother appeared in the series?
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 02:47   Link #5
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

I believe she appeared at Shirley's father and Shirley's funeral. Pretty sad if you ask me.
Old 2009-05-05, 02:52   Link #6
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Ying View Post
Ow, i'm impressed too.

So, bring a topic Nobody, cause i don't have any ideas...

Ah, but i got a question: Shirley's mother appeared in the series?
Sadly yes, she appeared three times during the series. Once while identifying her husbands body, the next during his funeral, and the final time at Shirley's funeral

Spoiler for size:

That's her in the top middle and top left pics.

Oh, but oh my gosh this is so embarassing. We finally get a thread dedicated Shirley, created in my name, and I can't think of anything to talk about

Hmm, well I guess there's the always popular topic of, if Shirley had survived to the end of the series, what role to you think she would have played?

Personally, while I'm not sure that she would've become a full-fledged member of the Black Knights, I think she may have helped Lelouch in other ways. Perhaps she could have helped him from Ashford somehow and given her support in small, but meaningful ways.

Last edited by Nobodyman9; 2009-05-05 at 03:34.
Old 2009-05-05, 02:56   Link #7
Kid Ying
Pon pon pon

Well... Eternal widow number 2. lol

Right after the diegeassing? I don't have any ideas. Lelouch could've geassed her again for all we know it.
Kid Ying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 03:04   Link #8
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Yes, because that worked so well last time. >.>

Really, she'd work best at counseling or advisory. And she'd be able to throw suspicion off of Lelouch at Ashford, as with her surviving, he wouldn't have abandoned the school like he had.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:04   Link #9
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

I don't think Lelouch would have allowed Shirley to even help him out. After seeing someone like Shirley with an gun again. He probably would have used his geass again(He had Jeremiah on his side too, he wouldn't have to worry about someone else to cancel his geass). Going even further he probably would have used the geass cult instead of taking them out. Who knows what would/could have happened.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:05   Link #10
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Considering the way Shirley was acting, I don't think him not letting her help out would really fly with her. She'd still try to help. He would be better off having her help in a way that keeps her out of danger.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:18   Link #11
Bonzo
I change anime endings.

Send a message via MSN to Bonzo
I seen a doujinshi where Shirley's dying (after rolo act) but after, she survive, because when lelouch used the geass on her with the order "don't die", the hypnos effect stimulated her body too and....
Bonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 03:20   Link #12
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobodyman9 View Post

Spoiler for size:

That's her in the top middle and top left pics.
Can't see the picture you've posted. Try uploading it to one of the imagehosting site if you're hot-linking it from an website.
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 03:31   Link #13
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
I seen a doujinshi where Shirley's dying (after rolo act) but after, she survive, because when lelouch used the geass on her with the order "don't die", the hypnos effect stimulated her body too and....
Really? Remember what its called or where you found it at? I'd love to see it.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:32   Link #14
SonOfHeaven
Metal Gear!?

Given how Lelouch's tends to protect people by pushing them away in his own way. I just don't think he'll allow Shirley to even help him out in anyway. It wouldn't sit well with her but I think she'll understand(Her role would probably be just to stay at Ashford. Wouldn't expect anything more than that). If not, Lelouch probably would use his geass again. No reason for Lelouch to have Shirley's life on the line just because she wants to stay by his side(If she decided to or whatever). Its not like she really has an reason to fight with the BKs for example. Just my take on it.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:38   Link #15
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfHeaven View Post
I don't think Lelouch would have allowed Shirley to even help him out. After seeing someone like Shirley with an gun again. He probably would have used his geass again(He had Jeremiah on his side too, he wouldn't have to worry about someone else to cancel his geass). Going even further he probably would have used the geass cult instead of taking them out. Who knows what would/could have happened.
You know, I've always wondered this: has it ever been proven that Lelouch can Geass somebody again after they've been de-geassed? I believe the only instance we saw him do that was with Shirley when she was dying, but he was ordering her to live and at that, Geass or not, it wouldn't have made any difference. Point being, if he can't Geass someone after they've been de-geassed, well then, he couldn't very well keep her out of it again (at least not through that method)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo View Post
Do you have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
Can't see the picture you've posted. Try uploading it to one of the imagehosting site if you're hot-linking it from an website.
Hmm, odd. I could see it just fine. Well I changed it at any rate. Can you see it now?
Old 2009-05-05, 03:40   Link #16
monir
cho~ kakkoii

Yes, I can see it fine now!
monir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-05-05, 03:43   Link #17
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Quote:
You know, I've always wondered this: has it ever been proven that Lelouch can Geass somebody again after they've been de-geassed? I believe the only instance we saw him do that was with Shirley when she was dying, but he was ordering her to live and at that, Geass or not, it wouldn't have made any difference. Point being, if he can't Geass someone after they've been de-geassed, well then, he couldn't very well keep her out of it again (at least not through that method)
Well, Geass commands seem to lose their strength with death, so yeah, it didn't seem to work, but since we do see the red ring of light in her eyes at that time, I do think that under other circumstances, a Canceled person can be Geass'd again.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:47   Link #18
Nobodyman9
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rising Dragon View Post
Well, Geass commands seem to lose their strength with death, so yeah, it didn't seem to work, but since we do see the red ring of light in her eyes at that time, I do think that under other circumstances, a Canceled person can be Geass'd again.
Yeah, I did notice the red rings so that's definitely a plus for the argument. But then again even as Euphie was dying the Geass still influenced her mind a little, whereas with Shirley it didn't seem to influence her mind at all. Hmm, someone should really ask Okouchi about. I think that's a reasonable question and one that he would provide an answer to.

Well, it's been a very exciting day everyone, and I'm thrilled about the new thread, but I think it's time for me to call it a day. So you tomorrow and I can't wait to see what develops in this thread.
Old 2009-05-05, 03:53   Link #19
Rising Dragon
Goat Herder
*Author

Actually, after it hit, her bleeding increased. Meaning her heart rate increased, so likely it was her body responding to the command.
Old 2009-05-05, 04:15   Link #20
Betteroffer

Quote:
Yeah, I did notice the red rings so that's definitely a plus for the argument. But then again even as Euphie was dying the Geass still influenced her mind a little, whereas with Shirley it didn't seem to influence her mind at all. Hmm, someone should really ask Okouchi about. I think that's a reasonable question and one that he would provide an answer to.

Well, it's been a very exciting day everyone, and I'm thrilled about the new thread, but I think it's time for me to call it a day. So you tomorrow and I can't wait to see what develops in this thread.
My interpretation of Euphemia's last moments was that the 'kill all Japanese' Geass on her was trying to make her attack Suzaku, but the fact that she loved him was enough for her to fight back, and then either repress or outright break the Geass, just like Nunally did for the Emperor's Geass on her eyes on Damocles.

As far as the difference in the actions of Shirley and Euphemia in their final moments? I chock it up to dramatic necessity, rather than to a coherent intention on the nature of Geass's effects. Each girl needed to focus on declaring their feelings for their loved one before the proverbial fridge door was closed.

It's similar to how people explain Euphemia and Nunally's resistences to Lelouch's Geass as a person being able to resist a command that is "particularly contrary to their nature, or abhorrent to their beliefs." The first thing that pops into my mind when I read this was the smiles on the faces of the very first group of soldiers Lelouch Geassed to die in each season's opening episodes, and the other instances where Lelouch orders people to kill themselves as part of the commands he gives. None of these people seem to resist, so unless all of them were seriously contemplating suicide, then we should have seen them show fear and resistence, rather than the sheer elation that we did see.

It was simply a means of delaying the effects of the Geass and thereby adding drama by letting the implications of what just happened sink in for the audience so to speak, and the the presence of a Geass command that could..."interfere" with Shirley and Euphemia's ability to confess their feelings had to be ignored, or at least ignored dramatically.
Betteroffer is offline   Reply With Quote