AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2012-07-17, 10:07   Link #321
marvelB

BTW, going back to the subject of future sequels, I just want to say that I actually support the idea Rainbowman brought up in the RPG game thread about having levels/bosses based off non-canon events like the movies. After all, I do rather like the idea of fighting villains like Shiki and Z as bosses (and they could add guys like that jelly logia dude from movie 4, the swordsman guy from movie 5, etc.)....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 20:32   Link #322
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
BTW, going back to the subject of future sequels, I just want to say that I actually support the idea Rainbowman brought up in the RPG game thread about having levels/bosses based off non-canon events like the movies. After all, I do rather like the idea of fighting villains like Shiki and Z as bosses (and they could add guys like that jelly logia dude from movie 4, the swordsman guy from movie 5, etc.)....
Shiki is on another game but why did they leave out Thriller Bark and other arcs. See you can't expect much from these games.
Kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-17, 23:52   Link #323
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Send a message via MSN to SOGESNAKE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kona View Post
Shiki is on another game but why did they leave out Thriller Bark and other arcs. See you can't expect much from these games.
Well, seeing as they cover most of East Blue (Buggy, Krieg, Arlong), Drum Island, Alabasta, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Sabaody Archipelago, Impel Down, Marineford, and Sabaody Archipelago Post Timeskip. Not to mention we have Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Ace, Whitebeard, AND Jinbei as playable characters, also bringing in DLC costumes and events. There's also an online co-op mode, so it's hard to understand the complaining sometimes....

I mean, I can understand the Alvida/Morrigan, Syrup Village, and Little Garden arcs being hard to incorperate into a Musou fighting game.... not to mention the whole "Oars boss fight" might be hard to pull off too....

All in all, it's nothing to complain about. So I can't see why we "can't expect much" from these games.
Old 2012-07-18, 00:22   Link #324
Undertaker

Exactly, the OP world is so huge that you know going in, something are going to be cut especial when it reveals that the game would be heavy on plot presentation. Personally, I really like what was there, is there room for improvement, sure. But what there are pretty damn good.
Old 2012-07-19, 11:12   Link #325
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOGESNAKE View Post
Well, seeing as they cover most of East Blue (Buggy, Krieg, Arlong), Drum Island, Alabasta, Water 7, Enies Lobby, Sabaody Archipelago, Impel Down, Marineford, and Sabaody Archipelago Post Timeskip. Not to mention we have Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Usopp, Sanji, Chopper, Robin, Franky, Brook, Ace, Whitebeard, AND Jinbei as playable characters, also bringing in DLC costumes and events. There's also an online co-op mode, so it's hard to understand the complaining sometimes....

I mean, I can understand the Alvida/Morrigan, Syrup Village, and Little Garden arcs being hard to incorperate into a Musou fighting game.... not to mention the whole "Oars boss fight" might be hard to pull off too....

All in all, it's nothing to complain about. So I can't see why we "can't expect much" from these games.
Wow they have have like what 12 playable characters? All of the characters who were bosses or in the game should of been playable. There is no excuse for that. DLC costumes shouldn't cost anything. Online co-op is cool but again there is limited characters and not PVP mode or other online modes. Why would those arcs be hard to incorporate in the game? What they did wrong with this game is the content (very small). They gave you barely anything to play with in this game for 60 dollars? Don't even mention the limited moveset. It's like this game could of been on a handheld, there would be no difference concerning the moveset because how limited it is. Yeah All the Strawhats and their allies are the only characters in the One Piece Universe that should of been in this game .
Old 2012-07-19, 13:36   Link #326
marvelB

^While I can understand your complaints, there's a very simple reason for the game's content being as limited as it is: It's only the first title in the series. Future titles (be they sequels or director's cuts) WILL have an improved character roster. I mean, just look at the core Dynasty Warriors franchise itself to see what I mean (or even its spinoffs/ripoffs like Sengoku Basara). Same deal with the gameplay and levels, too. Of course the movesets will be improved, and while I'm also disappointed that there's no Skypiea and Thriller Bark levels, you'd be crazy to think that those locations WON'T make it in future titles. I think the problem is that you're pretty much expecting Tecmo Koei to blow their whole load on the first title alone instead of making gradual improvements through the sequels (which again, is ALREADY the case with their other Musou franchises). I didn't, which is why I'm satisfied with the final product as it is, scrapped levels or not.....
Old 2012-07-20, 18:52   Link #327
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^While I can understand your complaints, there's a very simple reason for the game's content being as limited as it is: It's only the first title in the series. Future titles (be they sequels or director's cuts) WILL have an improved character roster. I mean, just look at the core Dynasty Warriors franchise itself to see what I mean (or even its spinoffs/ripoffs like Sengoku Basara). Same deal with the gameplay and levels, too. Of course the movesets will be improved, and while I'm also disappointed that there's no Skypiea and Thriller Bark levels, you'd be crazy to think that those locations WON'T make it in future titles. I think the problem is that you're pretty much expecting Tecmo Koei to blow their whole load on the first title alone instead of making gradual improvements through the sequels (which again, is ALREADY the case with their other Musou franchises). I didn't, which is why I'm satisfied with the final product as it is, scrapped levels or not.....
And yet the moveset is straight from a Handheld game and the characters in the game aren't playable. Talk about a poor quality game.
Old 2012-07-20, 22:42   Link #328
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Quote:
And yet the moveset is straight from a Handheld game and the characters in the game aren't playable. Talk about a poor quality game.

I don't understand WHY your complaining about the movesets if they're made up of moves they've actually USED in the manga/anime.... .as they've done with every other One Piece game out so far (Gigant Battle, Unlimited Adventure/Cruise, Grand Battles). The only times they've had to invent new moves and such were for character who haven't been seen alot in the series enough to have signature moves (Doflamingo, New World Strawhats, etc).

This by far is probably one of the best One Piece games out so far, but if your expecting MORE from something like this, obviosuly your standards are faaaaar too high for any kind of One Piece game.

Last edited by SOGESNAKE; 2012-07-20 at 23:01.
SOGESNAKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-07-21, 17:51   Link #329
Kona
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
I don't understand WHY your complaining about the movesets if they're made up of moves they've actually USED in the manga/anime.... .as they've done with every other One Piece game out so far (Gigant Battle, Unlimited Adventure/Cruise, Grand Battles). The only times they've had to invent new moves and such were for character who haven't been seen alot in the series enough to have signature moves (Doflamingo, New World Strawhats, etc).

This by far is probably one of the best One Piece games out so far, but if your expecting MORE from something like this, obviosuly your standards are faaaaar too high for any kind of One Piece game.
Not all of the moves from the characters are in the Anime. They left of. Lot of characters who could been playable but less than 20 playable characters is falling short. Oh yeah Thriller Bark and Skypiea.. Left it out. Moveset has like 5 moves basically Handheld game. Just coop one mode. Let's see more modes. They should just stop making OP games because it always falls short.
Old 2012-07-21, 18:56   Link #330
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Quote:
Not all of the moves from the characters are in the Anime. They left of. Lot of characters who could been playable but less than 20 playable characters is falling short. Oh yeah Thriller Bark and Skypiea.. Left it out. Moveset has like 5 moves basically Handheld game. Just coop one mode. Let's see more modes. They should just stop making OP games because it always falls short.
Well, let's take a look in terms of movesets...

Spoiler for Monkey D. Luffy Moveset Pirate Warriors:

Spoiler for Monkey D Luffy Gigant Battle Moveset:

Luffy Moveset Pirate Warriors (PS3): 38 Moves
Luffy Moveset Gigant Battle 2(DS): 20 Moves

So already, Pirate Warriors has almost twice the amount of moves that the latest One Piece handheld has. So I'm not sure why your complaining about that. Of course they can't incorporate EVERY move they've used in the anime (Gomu Gomu no Scythe, Gomu Gomu no Net) into a Musuo style fighting game. As for playable characters, it's also been stated above that Koei will more than likely add more in a sequal. Most Musou games out their right now have about 12 characters playable anyway. Now, modes that are in Pirate Warriors...

Main Log - Story Mode based off One Piece
Another Log - Scenarios for the other playable characters
Challenge Mode - Pits the players against an endless mob as opponents
Co-op - Play with a friend

I'm not sure what other modes you would want. But again, if you feel that OP games are a dissapointment, quit playing them.
Old 2012-07-25, 15:34   Link #331
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Even though I don't like the omission of the Skypiea and Thriller Bark arcs, I can see why they weren't included. This game opted to go for the most important story arcs, and Skypiea and Thriller Bark weren't of major significance in the grand scheme of things (at least so far). Being that this is the first One Piece game for the PS3, I feel they did a good job with the final product, and they'll undoubtedly have extra content reserved for its inevitable sequel.

That being said, as a One Piece fan, I'll support this game when it comes out. If the game sells well enough here, that will also increase the likelihood of its sequel being released in North America.
Old 2012-07-26, 11:18   Link #332
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Well, let's take a look in terms of movesets...

Spoiler for Monkey D. Luffy Moveset Pirate Warriors:

Spoiler for Monkey D Luffy Gigant Battle Moveset:

Luffy Moveset Pirate Warriors (PS3): 38 Moves
Luffy Moveset Gigant Battle 2(DS): 20 Moves

So already, Pirate Warriors has almost twice the amount of moves that the latest One Piece handheld has. So I'm not sure why your complaining about that. Of course they can't incorporate EVERY move they've used in the anime (Gomu Gomu no Scythe, Gomu Gomu no Net) into a Musuo style fighting game. As for playable characters, it's also been stated above that Koei will more than likely add more in a sequal. Most Musou games out their right now have about 12 characters playable anyway. Now, modes that are in Pirate Warriors...

Main Log - Story Mode based off One Piece
Another Log - Scenarios for the other playable characters
Challenge Mode - Pits the players against an endless mob as opponents
Co-op - Play with a friend

I'm not sure what other modes you would want. But again, if you feel that OP games are a dissapointment, quit playing them.
That is for ONE character who is the MAIN CHARACTER of the story. Do the other characters have that many moves? No so what are you trying to say. Stop defending this game. It's bare bones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
Even though I don't like the omission of the Skypiea and Thriller Bark arcs, I can see why they weren't included. This game opted to go for the most important story arcs, and Skypiea and Thriller Bark weren't of major significance in the grand scheme of things (at least so far). Being that this is the first One Piece game for the PS3, I feel they did a good job with the final product, and they'll undoubtedly have extra content reserved for its inevitable sequel.

That being said, as a One Piece fan, I'll support this game when it comes out. If the game sells well enough here, that will also increase the likelihood of its sequel being released in North America.

I can't tell if you're trolling or forget the events of both Arcs.
Old 2012-07-26, 11:55   Link #333
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
I can't tell if you're trolling or forget the events of both Arcs.
I haven't forgotten anything. The fact of the matter is that Skypiea and Thriller Bark weren't as consequential to subsequent story arcs as those that are in this game. The developers wanted to go for the most important stuff overall, while leaving omitted content reserved for future sequels.
Old 2012-07-26, 11:59   Link #334
Kona
Banned

Quote:
I haven't forgotten anything. The fact of the matter is that Skypiea and Thriller Bark weren't as consequential to subsequent story arcs as those that are in this game. The developers wanted to go for the most important stuff overall, while leaving omitted content reserved for future sequels.
Both are important Arcs. I don't want to list all the characters but they lead to other future Arcs in the story.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:03   Link #335
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Both are important Arcs. I don't want to list all the characters but they lead to other future Arcs in the story.
Every arc leads to another. But that's not the point here. In terms of the overall plot in the story, Skypiea and Thriller Bark aren't nearly as significant as say Alabasta, Enies Lobby, or Impel Down.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:05   Link #336
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Every arc leads to another. But that's not the point here. In terms of the overall plot in the story, Skypiea and Thriller Bark aren't nearly as significant as say Alabasta, Enies Lobby, or Impel Down.

What makes those 3 Arcs more important than Skypiea?
Old 2012-07-26, 12:10   Link #337
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
What makes those 3 Arcs more important than Skypiea?
Really? Look at how consequential each of those 3 arcs were to the plot. The One Piece world "shifted" because of those events.

Out of curiosity, how much of this game have you seen in action? Because if you look up gameplay videos, this game does have its share of depth for a Dynasty Warriors style game.
Old 2012-07-26, 12:40   Link #338
marvelB

Sorry, but I'm with BDK here as far as the story arcs go. While I most definitely agree that Skypiea in particular has HUGE future connections to the main story overall, the problem is that said connections weren't really obvious during the arc itself. And when said connections DID start to become clear (through Eneru's ministory to be much more specific) it was long after the arc had concluded. So it's not really a surprise that it was skipped (and again, that's where sequels come in, a fact you seem to keep dismissing, Kona ).

As far as Thriller Bark goes, while it's definitely important in the sense that it introduced a new crewmember and featured a shichibukai as the main villain, it had similar issues as with Skypiea in that it didn't have any obvious connections to future events. And while I admit that TB's omission hits me harder than Skypiea's, I can still understand why it was cut (hell, if these cut arcs REALLY bothered me that much, I'd have typed up an entire essay about the Davy Back Fight arc's omission long ago ). Plus (and it really pains me to admit this too), Moria just wasn't a popular villain when compared to the likes of Crocodile or Lucci. I mean yeah, we also had Kuma in that arc, but he comes back in the very next storyline anyway, so in the end, there's still no big loss.

Simply put, just gotta realize that you can't expect any video game, be it licensed or not, to meet every single one of your expectations (and frankly, we should be thankful that this game is decent enough as it is, since most licensed titles tend to be pure crap anyway).......
Old 2012-07-26, 12:49   Link #339
Kona
Banned

Quote:
Really? Look at how consequential each of those 3 arcs were to the plot. The One Piece world "shifted" because of those events.

Out of curiosity, how much of this game have you seen in action? Because if you look up gameplay videos, this game does have its share of depth for a Dynasty Warriors style game.
Those 3 Arcs you mentioned are just as important as Skypiea. Skypie introduced Calgara and Noland. Enel is on the moon currently and Oda himself said he would return at one point of the story.
Old 2012-07-27, 00:36   Link #340
SOGESNAKE
NEW WORLD BABY~!

Quote:
That is for ONE character who is the MAIN CHARACTER of the story. Do the other characters have that many moves? No so what are you trying to say. Stop defending this game. It's bare bones.

I defend it cause none of your points seem to be well researched...

Like why your comparing say Whitebeard's moveset from Gigant Battle 2 (which mostly consists of generic halberd slashes), to his moveset from Pirate Warriors which contains far more original moves. I don't understand why you'd want a larger moveset to these characters who haven't exactly had their fighting styles fully explored like the main characters, when all your gonna get are generic punch/kick/slash moves.

Tags
ps3, video games