AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-05-15, 00:01   Link #28301
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Bombadil View Post
Chinese language is a major part of our identity. Those who do not know poems of Li Bai (李白) or Du Fu (杜甫) can hardly be called Chinese.
Identity =/= Ethnicity
Old 2013-05-15, 00:06   Link #28302
TinyRedLeaf
Feeling comfy

Quote:
Chinese language is a major part of our identity. Those who do not know poems of Li Bai (李白) or Du Fu (杜甫) can hardly be called Chinese.
I happen to know the plays of Shakespeare, but not much about Chinese literature.

I guess that makes me English even though I look Chinese.
Old 2013-05-15, 00:11   Link #28303
Seitsuki
Onee!

What's in a name? that which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet...
Old 2013-05-15, 00:15   Link #28304
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Way to make a sweeping generalization. I went to Cantonese school as a child despite being born and raised in Canada and know a number of poems by either or both, but I'm betting there's a number in China nowadays that couldn't recite them.
Old 2013-05-15, 00:29   Link #28305
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Then I must be the only real overseas Chinese here since my parents would make me memorise Li Bai's works.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:03   Link #28306
Azuma Denton
~AD~

Quote:
Well, not all of Chinese outside of PRC and Taiwan get access to classic Chinese literature like you do.
It's funny cause I dont even know who are Li Bai and Du Fu, yet I, for 20++ years always been accused as Chinese who steals/robs from Indonesian and being told to go back to mainland.

Guess those people are wrong huh??

Heck, I cant even sing this song...
Quote:
五千年的风和雨啊藏了多少梦
黄色的脸黑色的眼不变是笑容
八千里山川河岳像是一首歌
不论你来自何方将去向何处

一样的泪一样的痛
曾经的苦难我们留在心中
一样的血一样的种
未来还有梦我们一起开拓
Old 2013-05-15, 01:34   Link #28307
LeoXiao
思想工作

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Then I must be the only real overseas Chinese here since my parents would make me memorise Li Bai's works.
My mom used to quote a bunch of poetry and I only later learned that those were from poems and not her own inventions.

Also, poems are practically written to be memorized. Try stuff like the Art of War, now there's a timesink.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:43   Link #28308
JokerD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Actually, he's not your usual right-wing nut. He's more of a neo-con who actually does things and, amazingly enough, doesn't glorify Imperial Japan. He's quite confrontational, insensitive, and blunt, but one thing is for certain: He's not the usual right-wing, with support from the younger people.
I sure he wouldn' mind serving as a 'comfort man' since militaries around the world accept women in their rank...
Old 2013-05-15, 01:46   Link #28309
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerD View Post
I sure he wouldn' mind serving as a 'comfort man' since militaries around the world accept women in their rank...
Well, given that he's married with three sons and four daughters, that might be a problem. Still, I would think he would accept it in principle.
Old 2013-05-15, 01:59   Link #28310
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

I heard Dynasty Warrior is good china history learning tool

Old 2013-05-15, 02:23   Link #28311
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sumeragi View Post
Actually, he's not your usual right-wing nut. He's more of a neo-con who actually does things and, amazingly enough, doesn't glorify Imperial Japan. He's quite confrontational, insensitive, and blunt, but one thing is for certain: He's not the usual right-wing, with support from the younger people.
And that's scary: he and like-minded Hitler types would easily take advantage of a disaffected generation or two who are currently having a hard time finding work, and in need of a convenient scapegoat for economic and national ills; this generation could then be cultivated to believe that renewed ultranationalism would bring Japan out of the doldrums.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:34   Link #28312
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
It'd bring them out of the doldrums and into the line of fire. Ultranationalism never got anyone anything except deader than dead.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:35   Link #28313
HasuMasu
Diamond is Unbreakable
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I just caught up with this thread after a few days, and all I see is talk about abortion and conscription. Did I miss the discussion on the flare-up between Taiwan and the Philippines? It's already Wednesday now in Taiwan. What happened with the ultimatum?

http://news.yahoo.com/taiwan-gives-p...031338922.html
http://www.philstar.com/headlines/20...tension-taiwan
http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/781641.shtml
Well there was some abortion stuff going on, I was hesitant to bring up a small nation like ours' issue with another small nation.

Strange there was no mention of the alleged cyber-attack?

Philippine Government websites were reportedly attacked by Taiwanese hackers...but I don't remember what date I read the newspaper.

A couple of them were reportedly down during elections.

So my prediction more-or-less comes true that Malacannang doesn't want Philippine TV to make a big scene like they usually do, though with elections over that may change in the future.

There being previous incidents doesn't surprise me, a lot of Philippine Police are known for being violent scumbags.

Another interesting thing is PRC's response to this incident, Foreign Ministry basically repeated Taiwan's statement about the killings, which Philippine Newspapers were quick to more-or-less say "what the fuck do you have to do with this".

US was also asked for comment, to which it didn't say much at all.

Some witnesses did claim to see a Philippine Navy vessel open fire, but Philippine Navy later denied any involvement, saying their ships were nowhere near the area.

These 'witnesses' were not identified in any way.

Lastly well I guess Taiwan is taking a very aggressive approach from the get-go, Philippines play it passive at first an later try to worm out while avoiding media attention during elections. China wants a piece of the anti-Philippine cake and US is hands-off for now.
Old 2013-05-15, 02:45   Link #28314
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
And that's scary: he and like-minded Hitler types would easily take advantage of a disaffected generation or two who are currently having a hard time finding work, and in need of a convenient scapegoat for economic and national ills; this generation could then be cultivated to believe that renewed ultranationalism would bring Japan out of the doldrums.
May I ask on what basis you're calling anyone "like-minded Hitler types"? That's quite the use of Godwin's law there.
Old 2013-05-15, 05:04   Link #28315
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasumi View Post
Some witnesses did claim to see a Philippine Navy vessel open fire, but Philippine Navy later denied any involvement, saying their ships were nowhere near the area.

These 'witnesses' were not identified in any way.

Lastly well I guess Taiwan is taking a very aggressive approach from the get-go, Philippines play it passive at first an later try to worm out while avoiding media attention during elections. China wants a piece of the anti-Philippine cake and US is hands-off for now.
AFAIK it's the Philippines Coast Guard that fired the shots, after the fishing boat allegedly tried to ram their ship.

While it's hard to say what actually happened unless there were video recordings, Manila did itself no favor by trying to deny involvement at first, which just cast everything they claim later in a bad light.

Several issues I have:

- I find the alleged ramming to be, well, peculiar. The PCG vessel wasn't exactly small (100ft long), I'm unclear what could possibly be gained by an smaller, unarmed, and slower fishing boat running into a larger armed vessel, nevermind that the fishing boat would more than likely be running away to avoid being confiscated, which the Philippines are known to do (The PCG ship was attempting to board it as a matter of fact).

- The PCG say they fired at the "machinery" to disable the ship. Well, I suppose, if one counts the "machinery" as the whole ship. there was little discernible pattern to the bullet holes, either the PCG has absolutely horrendous aim, or they were just spraying.

Realistically speaking though those hoping for open conflict is just stupid. Taiwan doesn't need another enemy in the region, and the Philippines military has enough problems on its hands as it is, and frankly their navy is so far outclassed by even Taiwan's small navy that open conflict would be idiotic.
Old 2013-05-15, 06:04   Link #28316
Cosmic Eagle
『青い空』、きっとキレイなんだろうなぁ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Look I am culturally Chinese, but I vehemently stand against the mainlanders. So it makes me a traitor?

We are not generalising against ALL Chinese. We are against the PRC hawks and nationalist supporters, who are making overseas Chinese look as bad. We are being lumped for convenience. Highlight it if you don't want to be seen as part of the farce.

PRC takes it way too far and you want to stand with them? So that makes you rational for not distinguishing yourself from those supremacists?

Stop making mixbloods look like slave-class breeds and lumping all Chinese as pro-CCP mainlanders.
Why do we of all people even need to pick a side when we are so far removed from China itself? Chinese =/= China and I don't see why we need to prove that when our passport and theirs is viewed so differently. After all we care as much about our ethnicity as our eye color or hair length or ear size anyway

す べ て の 想 い に  巡 り 来 る 祝 福 を
Old 2013-05-15, 06:08   Link #28317
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyp275 View Post
- I find the alleged ramming to be, well, peculiar. The PCG vessel wasn't exactly small (100ft long), I'm unclear what could possibly be gained by an smaller, unarmed, and slower fishing boat running into a larger armed vessel, nevermind that the fishing boat would more than likely be running away to avoid being confiscated, which the Philippines are known to do (The PCG ship was attempting to board it as a matter of fact).
Thanks to USS Cole, everyone is scared of boat bombs now.

Quote:
- The PCG say they fired at the "machinery" to disable the ship. Well, I suppose, if one counts the "machinery" as the whole ship. there was little discernible pattern to the bullet holes, either the PCG has absolutely horrendous aim, or they were just spraying.
If you have tried shooting from a boat before, you will realise that your orientation is completely screwed up when you take aim; the boat bobs up and down, combined your breathing messes up whatever aim you try to take. It is difficult to take accurate hits with semi-automatic weapons regardless of caliber (unless you have fired as many shots as the Alabama SEAL snipers throughout their lives), much less said for automatic ones.

Therefore not much can be really do much about stopping a naval craft charging at the boat, regardless of size and speed. Unless you are operating from a helicopter, it is better to drop the loudhailer and open up with a fully-automatic weapon at 100m minimum, preferably a medium or heavy machinegun.

Another solution is to mount a automated CIWS with a semi-auto capability and a really precise FCS on the PV, or the crew's safety is determined wholly by the size of the deck-gunner's balls to spray-and-pray.

Quote:
Realistically speaking though those hoping for open conflict is just stupid. Taiwan doesn't need another enemy in the region, and the Philippines military has enough problems on its hands as it is, and frankly their navy is so far outclassed by even Taiwan's small navy that open conflict would be idiotic.
I agree. This isn't time to point fingers or ask for more compensation, but rather it is a good time to sit down and talk like carebears.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2013-05-15, 06:47   Link #28318
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Boeing resumes deliveries of 787 Dreamliners
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94D10520130514

After ATM heist, India's IT sector again in unwelcome spotlight
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...94A06P20130515
Old 2013-05-15, 06:48   Link #28319
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
I just opened my TV and seen this scenario: Tsundere Taiwan and Dumb Stupid Lover Boy Philippines.

I won't say nothing else but....

I just wish for our government to stop chasing Taiwan like a desperate guy in love with a girl.

They're making us look like idiots. One apology is enough. I don't want to think that racism is on the minds of one side. Why would the entire nation apologies? Do we even knew? Do we even care? Just complain to the personnels who did the crime. Do not involve the whole nation.
Old 2013-05-15, 06:55   Link #28320
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
I just wish for our government to stop chasing Taiwan like a desperate guy in love with a girl.

They're making us look like idiots.
You ARE the idiot. Look what Taiwan has!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by SaintessHeart; 2013-05-15 at 07:06.
Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international, news