AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2011-03-12, 13:19   Link #541
Ritsu026
Ritsu's boyfriend

Voice actors currently missing:
Irino Miyu (入野自由)
Egawa Hisao (江川央生)
Hatano Wataru (羽多野渉)
Hino Satoshi (日野聡)
Hiyama Nobuyuki (檜山修之)
Hirakawa Daisuke (平川大輔)
Hirata Hiroaki (平田広明)
Hayashi Kazuo (林一夫)
Namikawa Daisuke (浪川大輔)
Narita Ken (成田剣)
Nishi Rintarou (西凛太朗)
Maeno Tomoaki (前野智昭)
Miki Shinichiro (三木眞一郎)
Miyata Kouki (宮田幸季)
Morikawa Toshiyuki (森川智之)
Ōtsuka Akio (大塚明夫)
Ōtsuka Houchu (大塚芳忠)
Okamoto Nobuhiko (岡本信彦)
Ogawa Shinji (小川真司)
Ōkawa Toru (大川透)
Kakihara Tetsuya (柿原徹也)
Kishio Daisuke (岸尾だいすけ)
Kisaichi Atsushi (私市淳)
Kondo Takashi (近藤隆)
Kosugi Juurouta (小杉十郎太 )
Seki Toshihiko (関俊彦)
Sakaguchi Daisuke (阪口大助)
Shimoyama Yoshimitsu (下山吉光)
Sasaki Nozomu (佐々木望 )
Sakaguchi Shuuhei (阪口周平)
Toriumi Kousuke (鳥海浩輔)
Tachiki Fumihiko (立木文彦)
Taketora (武虎)
Yusa Koji (遊佐浩二)
Yuuki Hiro (優希比呂)
Yamaguchi Kappei (山口勝平)
Wakamoto Norio (若本規夫)
Fujiwara Keiji (藤原啓次)
Yokojima Wataru (横島亘)
I hope all of them will come back alive and in perfect health.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:20   Link #542
Xagzan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrw View Post
Dear god, tell me that Katz guy's taken a break by now. When I was watching him yesterday he had already been broadcasting for 16 hours straight.

^ I heard Namikawa Daisuke was safe.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:21   Link #543
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

list of famous people on quake

http://www.tokyohive.com/2011/03/in-...firmed-safety/
http://hashihime.blogspot.com/2011/0...nown-safe.html

The 3 were chosen randomly for radiation testing from 90 patients and staff who were waiting for airlift by helicopter at a nearby high school on Saturday afternoon.

The prefectural government says the 3 need decontamination to remove the radioactivity. They have not shown any reaction or physical symptoms of the radioactivity yet.

Last edited by RRW; 2011-03-12 at 13:34.
RRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:25   Link #544
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Malcolm Grimston, Associate Fellow for Energy, Environment and Development at London's Chatham House, said he believed the explosion had been caused by a build-up of pressure inside the inner containment of the reactor.

"Because they lost power to the water cooling system, they needed to vent the pressure that building up inside.

"My suspicion is that as the temperature inside the reactor was rising, some of the metal cans that surround the fuel may have burst and at high temperature, that fuel cladding can react with water to produce zirconium oxide and hydrogen.

"That hydrogen then will be part of the gases that need to be vented. That hydrogen then mixes with the surrounding air. Hydrogen and oxygen can then recombine explosively.

"So it seems while the explosion wasn't directly connected with the nuclear processes, it was indirectly connected, because the hydrogen was only present because of what was going on in the reactor core."
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:28   Link #545
Tsuyoshi
Disabled By Request

Send a message via AIM to Tsuyoshi Send a message via MSN to Tsuyoshi
It looks as if I'll be getting my tax refund next month after all. I'll be putting a good chunk of it into the aid efforts if I do.
Tsuyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:32   Link #546
Souten no Seigyoku
The Anti-Moron

A thousand dead are the reported estimates. The yahoo page has news of one of their nuclear plants going up, 9500 people in a town anaccounted for, 200+ bodies washing up ashore, whole trains missing. Best we can hope for now is that they can save as many people as possible, no more after-shock quakes, and to avoid any nuclear disasters.

A bit anime/manga related: Are the popular mangakas known here, alright? LIke Kishimoto (Naruto), Bleach mangaka, etc. Anyone know?

Join The Naruto Online Multiplayer Game Naruto-Arena.com

omai wa yowai....naze yowai ka? tarinai kara da nikushimiga
Souten no Seigyoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:32   Link #547
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Sunday, March 13, 2011
Meltdown Caused Nuke Plant Explosion: Safety Body

TOKYO (Nikkei)--The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency (NISA) said Saturday afternoon the explosion at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant could only have been caused by a meltdown of the reactor core.

The same day, Tokyo Electric Power Co. (9501), which runs the plant, began to flood the damaged reactor with seawater to cool it down, resorting to measures that could rust the reactor and force the utility to scrap it.

Cesium and iodine, by-products of nuclear fission, were detected around the plant, which would make the explosion the worst accident in the roughly 50-year history of Japanese nuclear power generation.

An explosion was heard near the plant's No. 1 reactor about 3:30 p.m. and plumes of white smoke went up 10 minutes later. The ceiling of the building housing the reactor collapsed, according to information obtained by Fukushima prefectural authorities.

At a news conference Saturday night, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yukio Edano discounted the possibility of a significant leak of radioactive material from the accident. "The walls of the building containing the reactor were destroyed, meaning that the metal container encasing the reactor did not explode," Edano said.

The amount of radiation detected inside the plant after 4:00 p.m. slightly exceeded the dose people can safely receive in a year, according to information obtained by the Fukushima prefectural government.

The No. 1 reactor shut down automatically soon after a massive earthquake hit the area Friday, but its emergency core cooling system failed to cool the reactor's core sufficiently.

NISA is affiliated with the Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry.

(The Nikkei March 13 edition)
http://e.nikkei.com/e/fr/tnks/Nni20110312D12JFF03.htm
http://www.nisa.meti.go.jp/english/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souten no Seigyoku View Post
A thousand dead are the reported estimates. The yahoo page has news of one of their nuclear plants going up, 9500 people in a town anaccounted for, 200+ bodies washing up ashore, whole trains missing. Best we can hope for now is that they can save as many people as possible, no more after-shock quakes, and to avoid any nuclear disasters.

A bit anime/manga related: Are the popular mangakas known here, alright? LIke Kishimoto (Naruto), Bleach mangaka, etc. Anyone know?
you can also go to ANN

Old 2011-03-12, 13:32   Link #548
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Just a note, several Japanese exporters of figures and other merchandise were damaged severely by the earthquake this week. Both CDjapan and HobbyLinkJapan are temporarily suspending shipping to assess damage and personnel. Haven't checked other sites yet but I assume any business from Yokohama northward may be in difficulty for now.

As for the general reports of missing/dead... think back to all that video and realize that there was about 15 minutes warning... most of those buildings, many of those cars caught in the tsunami were occupied. I get pretty morose watching cars on a road desperately trying to avoid the wall of slurry heading towards them in some of the overhead aerial footage.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:36   Link #549
Dist

Send a message via MSN to Dist
^Any idea of Amazon.co.jp ? They have this letter on their front page that I asked translation of in the other thread. I got some ongoing orders from there which is why I want to know what it says on the front page.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:43   Link #550
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

From "New Scientist" (Britain):

Quote:
A turning point in the efforts to avert a meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power station came in the wake of the blast that destroyed the exterior walls of the crippled reactor.

The Tokyo Electric Power Company, Tepco, had the flexibility to use pressure release valves to vent some steam, even though it was mildly contaminated, because it had taken the precaution of evacuating the local population within a 12 mile radius.

Grimston described this as "extraordinary forward planning".

Although the concrete cladding disintegrated in a spectacular fashion, Grimston said that the fact that the metal frame of the building was left intact suggests that the explosion was not as violent as it looked.

Because the plant went into operation in 1971 and is due for decommissioning, the decision was taken by Tepco to flood it with seawater containing boric acid to kill the nuclear reaction.

This began just after 2pm UK time and would take up to ten hours.

The use of corrosive seawater would render the reactor unusable but would ensure that the risk of a meltdown had been averted, said Grimston.

He said that it was a "textbook example" of how to deal with a nuclear emergency.

Tepco said Fukushima was stable.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:44   Link #551
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Ayanyan and Kanatan are safe! Whew!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dist View Post
^Any idea of Amazon.co.jp ? They have this letter on their front page that I asked translation of in the other thread. I got some ongoing orders from there which is why I want to know what it says on the front page.
If I am not wrong, it says that their shipments are all delayed due to logistics issues (roads, rails and shipping).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaze View Post
I just wanted to say:

I am utterly DISGUSTED by these people that are actually saying this is payback for Pearl harbor:

http://media.riemurasia.net/albumit/.../794541220.jpg

People as ignorant as that should experience it themselves.
What goes round, comes round. Personally I believe in retribution. They will have their desserts someday.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2011-03-12 at 14:38. Reason: As much as they probably deserve it, let's be mature and not resort to such vulgar things...
SaintessHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:45   Link #552
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Heh... kind of silly of them to put that in an image and not at all on the english section.

What I can pick out of it is that business is on hold for now til they assess their suppliers and warehouses.

Amazon in particular would be affected by this since they use third party partners behind the "Amazon curtain" for a lot of their business. Yeah, I have several pre-orders with HLJ, CDJapan, and Nippon-export that are probably on hold or possibly even buried under debris at the moment. At the moment, I'm more concerned about the people I do business with (like the people who pack my purchases, write back to me, etc), friends, relatives, and pen-pals though.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:46   Link #553
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
I know where their shipping warehouse is near Funabashi (it's inside Tokyo bay), and that's a place that only saw 1 meter tsunami or so, however plenty of shaking (same as me, I presume).

I would expect them to delay for safety checks but be back up within a couple days.

The letter on the front page says, in short:
"Due to the earthquake, our fullfillment center was damaged. We are working to restore service as soon as we can."
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:49   Link #554
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Okay, *now* people can freak out a little bit about the nuclear facility in Fukushima:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110313a1.html

However,
Quote:
The Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said serious damage to the stricken reactor's containment facility was unlikely despite the explosion.
Edano also said radiation levels have been decreasing and the reactor containment vessel wasn't damaged in the blast.
Worst case is that it will never be able to come back online and be an expensive containment/cleanup. These are modern reactors, not cranky old Chernobyl ones.

Latest Japan Times summary of damage and deaths:
http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110313a2.html

Latest measurements say the Earth's axis was moved by 10-25 centimeters (still calibrating) ... (edit) - day may have been shortened by a millionth of a second.
Another way of saying we're a wobbly ball in space that explodes on the inside and sloshes about.

Last edited by Vexx; 2011-03-12 at 14:03.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:51   Link #555
Jeffry2009
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Jeffry2009 Send a message via Yahoo to Jeffry2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ritsu026 View Post
Voice actors currently missing:
Irino Miyu (入野自由)
Egawa Hisao (江川央生)
Hatano Wataru (羽多野渉)
Hino Satoshi (日野聡)
Hiyama Nobuyuki (檜山修之)
Hirakawa Daisuke (平川大輔)
Hirata Hiroaki (平田広明)
Hayashi Kazuo (林一夫)
Namikawa Daisuke (浪川大輔)
Narita Ken (成田剣)
Nishi Rintarou (西凛太朗)
Maeno Tomoaki (前野智昭)
Miki Shinichiro (三木眞一郎)
Miyata Kouki (宮田幸季)
Morikawa Toshiyuki (森川智之)
Ōtsuka Akio (大塚明夫)
Ōtsuka Houchu (大塚芳忠)
Okamoto Nobuhiko (岡本信彦)
Ogawa Shinji (小川真司)
Ōkawa Toru (大川透)
Kakihara Tetsuya (柿原徹也)
Kishio Daisuke (岸尾だいすけ)
Kisaichi Atsushi (私市淳)
Kondo Takashi (近藤隆)
Kosugi Juurouta (小杉十郎太 )
Seki Toshihiko (関俊彦)
Sakaguchi Daisuke (阪口大助)
Shimoyama Yoshimitsu (下山吉光)
Sasaki Nozomu (佐々木望 )
Sakaguchi Shuuhei (阪口周平)
Toriumi Kousuke (鳥海浩輔)
Tachiki Fumihiko (立木文彦)
Taketora (武虎)
Yusa Koji (遊佐浩二)
Yuuki Hiro (優希比呂)
Yamaguchi Kappei (山口勝平)
Wakamoto Norio (若本規夫)
Fujiwara Keiji (藤原啓次)
Yokojima Wataru (横島亘)
I hope all of them will come back alive and in perfect health.
What about:

Jun Fukuyama
Yukana Nogami
Mamoru Miyano
Ryoko Hikasa
Megumi Toguyuchi
Kana Hanazawa
Kouki Uchiyama

and others?
Jeffry2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-03-12, 13:53   Link #556
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

From my friend in Chiyoda, it seems that the place is in a mess. His phone and laptop got destroyed, and his boss told him and his colleagues to take 1 week leave because they are unable to do any work at all with the server room trashed.

Supposedly, those offices situated in the basement suffered more damage than those above ground. And some of the railway lines are still blocked with debris with trains missing and such.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:53   Link #557
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Okay, *now* people can freak out a little bit about the nuclear facility in Fukushima:

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-b...0110313a1.html

However,

Worst case is that it will never be able to come back online and be an expensive containment/cleanup.
That did happen about 10 hours ago, and sources both inside and outside Japan have since confirmed that it was the shell building, and not the reactor housing that blew. Ironically, radiation levels have actually decreased as a result of the explosion and the reduced pressure.
Old 2011-03-12, 13:53   Link #558
RRW
Unspecified
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post

What goes round, comes round. Personally I believe in retribution. They will have their desserts someday.

Though they still deserve this in their face :

Spoiler for NSFW:
calm down i see something worse than that like this

Spoiler for .:

really there is bad people on this planet.

Old 2011-03-12, 13:56   Link #559
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

If these kids are US citizens, I pity the rest of the other US people.

Karma rolling back as a whole, it will be Sarah Palin 2012. Enjoy that nightmare.

Old 2011-03-12, 14:00   Link #560
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
If these kids are US citizens, I pity the rest of the other US people.

Karma rolling back as a whole, it will be Sarah Palin 2012. Enjoy that nightmare.
That's just not funny...

Tags
disaster, japan, tsunami