AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2011-10-15, 11:12   Link #1
Xenio
Flower

looking for some light-hearted anime

i'm looking for some light-hearted anime, normal and family life like clannad preferred. no need to be comedy or romance heavy,no action if possible and if it have at action it should be like rozen maiden or persona 4
Thank You
Xenio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 11:23   Link #2
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Well, it will be easier if you have a list of anime that you've seen so that the posters didn't give you recommendations for nothing ^_^.

Ok, for starter, have you seen Amagami SS and Spice and Wolf? It's pretty light-hearted and 'normal'.
Old 2011-10-15, 11:36   Link #3
Xenio
Flower

well, i'm new to anime so it kinda mixed, but clannad and rozen maiden is the one i loved the most, i'm also loved kashimashi - girl meet girl (liked the manga better though), and i'm planning to watch kanon

and i did not watch 2 anime you mentioned but it look like i will like them
Old 2011-10-15, 11:49   Link #4
Elegance

Usagi Drop is about family and light hearted.
Elegance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 12:01   Link #5
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
well, i'm new to anime so it kinda mixed,
Oh, it's okay then. You'll get LOTS of recommendations later .

And, yeah, Kanon is pretty much similar to Clannad. As for my recommended titles, you need to see it to decide, even though I'm sure that you'll gonna enjoy them.
Old 2011-10-15, 12:36   Link #6
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

Light hearted? CLANNAD? Did you watch After Story?
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-15, 15:17   Link #7
kitten320

Since you mentioned Clannad I guess some drama is fine.
Kanon2006, Air and Angel Beats are doen by same creator.

AnoHana is compared to Clannad a lot.

Since you mentioned kashimashi, I guess yuri is fine so you can try Aoi Hana.

Aria the animation is VERY lighthearted.

Bakuman is lighthearted, it is about manga creation.

Dog Days are action series but lighthearted so they are something like Rozen Maiden.

K-ON is slice of life comedy.

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! is a romance comedy.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai is a very unique romance comedy, is close to harem.

Love Hina is a harem/comedy show. It was my first anime that got me interested in the whole anime thing.

Maria-sama ga Miteru is a slice of life yuri show, gets better with each season though yuri is not that strong here.

Mayo Chiki is an entartaining romance comedy, found it very enjoyable.

Shugo Chara! is a magical girl show so action is very similar to one in Rozen Maiden. It is very light.

Sora no Woto are light hearted series, only the last few are a bit more action orientated.

Spice and Wolf are light romance series

Toradora! is a romance comedy

Usagi Drop are slice of life series about a man who had adopted a small girl.

Working!
are comedy series about group of people that work in a restaurant.

From ongoing series you can try to keep up with:
Chihayafuru are series about japanese card game. So far it looks entertaining.

The iDOLM@STER are series about group of girls that try to become starts. First 5 episodes wre not that great but later series started to get better.
Old 2011-10-15, 17:29   Link #8
ArrowSmith

Spice and Wolf is not light-hearted!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 01:05   Link #9
Xenio
Flower

Thank you

...is there more?
Old 2011-10-16, 01:35   Link #10
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowSmith View Post
Spice and Wolf is not light-hearted!
LOL. It's pretty light-hearted to me.

Anyway, it seems that you've got a fair share of recommendations. So I'll just add Cardcaptor Sakura if you haven't seen it yet. This magical-girl anime is not too 'heavy' like Nanoha or Madoka nor does it childish like Minky Momo. Oh, and this magical-girl anime can be enjoyed by both boys and girls too. Still, it's up to you to check it out.
Old 2011-10-16, 02:40   Link #11
Undertaker

Kitten's list is pretty good, but it would help is you nail down a few category like Romance, Slap-stick comedy etc.

Because there are TONS light-hearted anime, I would say 80% of anime are light-hearted, one way or another since "moe" is the focus for anime industry for the past decade and half and even more so in past couple of years.
Old 2011-10-16, 02:45   Link #12
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Instead of listing out light-hearted anime, perhaps the opposite would be better?

For light-hearted shows that are recently aired that may be to your liking, give Baka to Test and Yuru Yuri a try.

But watch out as there are many series that initially presents itself to be light-hearted in the beginning but turned out to be pretty deep in the end.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 04:10   Link #13
Xenio
Flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
Kitten's list is pretty good, but it would help is you nail down a few category like Romance, Slap-stick comedy etc.

Because there are TONS light-hearted anime, I would say 80% of anime are light-hearted, one way or another since "moe" is the focus for anime industry for the past decade and half and even more so in past couple of years.
you can see my most loved anime to narrow it down.
what i looking for is about realtionship, family, have romance but not too heavy, and not pure comedy, modern setting, you can see clannad, kanon and rozen maiden match those.
Old 2011-10-16, 08:07   Link #14
kitten320

Spice and Wolf was pretty lighthearted in my opinion, it had only few tense moments and even those were all solved peacefully without any bloodshed.

So you want more description? OK let's see:
Kanon2006, Air and Angel Beats are basicly the same as Clannad since they are from the same author what means series have romance, comedy, drama, friendship... Angel Beats has a bit of action though and has aweasome soundtracks.

AnoHana is about a group of friends who had seperated ways after one of them had died in an accident. Now her ghost is trying to bring them back together.

Aoi Hana is about two childhood friends. Hard to explain but it is a light yuri romance with males present

Aria the animation are series about group of girls that try to become the best undine (they are taking people on tours in a boat)

Bakuman are series about two guys that try to become proffesional manga artista. Series also have light romance going on.

Dog Days are series about a different world where they had summoned human from our world to be their hero and help them in war. However, it is not the typical war with bunch of blood and death. It is an innocent game where no one dies, it is jusr for fun. Series are mostly about friendship.

K-ON is about group of girls that have created a music club. So basicly series are about their everyday life and on how they try to become a real big band. Though they slack more than work

Kaichou wa Maid-sama! is a romance comedy about a girl who is a chool president and very feared by guys. But she has a secret, she works in a maid cafe and one of the guys discovers her secret.

Kami nomi zo Shiru Sekai are series about a date game freak who accidently signed a contract with a cute demon. Now he has to date girls in real life if he wants to keep his head. He always comes up with bunch of strategies to win the girl over.

Love Hina is a harem/comedy show. It is about a guy who is living in an all girl Inn. Half of girls is happy to have him and part is not. He is also a loser who can't get into Uni but he keeps improving. He is in love with one of the girls there. There are a lot of things going on, though manga is much better.

Maria-sama ga Miteru is a slice of life yuri show. It is about an all girl school and characters interections and relationships with each other. It is hard to give it an explanation.

Mayo Chiki are series about a guy who has girl phobia and starts to nosebleed whenever a girl touches him. He accidently discovers that one of the girl's buttler is actually a girl. The mistress of a buttler makes a deal, if he will be quiet then they won't hurt him and will help him to get rid of his phobia.

Shugo Chara! is a magical girl show. Basicly everyone has their future would be self which are sleeping inside of everyone. An evil organization is searching for a specific egg and good group of friends is trying to stop them. There are a lot of things going on but it is a basic explanation. Some romance is included.

Sora no Woto are series about group of military girls and their everyday and peaceful life.

Spice and Wolf are series about two people. A trader and half fox woman who he has found in his carriage. Series are about their journey, romance included.

Toradora! is about a guy who is in love with the girl but she thinks of him as a friend. And there is another girl who is in love with another guy but he also sees hee only as friend. The two rejected souls join the forces and try to win their others halfs over.

Usagi Drop are slice of life series about a man who had adopted a small girl.

Working!
are comedy series about group of people that work in a restaurant. a bit or romance included.

From ongoing series you can try to keep up with:
Chihayafuru are series about japanese card game. A group pf three used to play cards together but then they grew up and their ways seperated. The female lead believes that if she will keep playing cars, they will eventually meet again.

The iDOLM@STER are series about group of girls that try to become stars. First 5 episodes wre not that great but later series started to get better. Basicly each episode is about one of the events and work placements that they have tried.

Hope this helps^^
Old 2011-10-16, 12:40   Link #15
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'll start with Hidamari Sketch, a slice-of-life show about four girls attending an arts high school. Cute characters, very light-hearted. Not much happens, but the girls have a lot of fun doing what they do. Azumanga Daioh is an older series with similar tendencies, though it's got a weirder fantasy aspect that's not in Hidamari.

Next is School Rumble, perhaps the funniest of the school comedies. Though there's dramatic angst, it's always played for laughs.

Nodame Cantabile is fundamentally light-hearted, but the main characters do face considerable professional challenges in their quests to become professional musicians. Unless you hate classical music, this is one of the best comedies of the past decade.

Kuragehime tells the story of five "otaku" women in their 20's-30's living together in a Tokyo apartment. There's some drama about whether the apartment will be demolished, but it's not especially heavy.

Finally I'll nominate Chi's Sweet Home as one of the best light-hearted animes I've ever watched. It's about a lost kitty that's adopted by a young family. That's about it for the plot, but who cares? It's about a cute kitty; what more could you want?

Last edited by SeijiSensei; 2011-10-17 at 06:58.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-16, 19:25   Link #16
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Bunny Drop

Cross Game (except for the first episode so don't get scared off)

Haven't watched it myself yet, but maybe Minami-ke?

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-18, 05:39   Link #17
Xenio
Flower

well, what i need is a anime that make me have emotional feeling to it, not some anime that i laugh my way through it or have action after action
Old 2011-10-18, 06:58   Link #18
kitten320

I would say that each show in my list arises one or another feeling, maybe not at once but eventually. Though K-ON mostly get sfeelings out of you towards the end of season 2, before that it is a simple relaxing show.

The Idolm@ster is also mostly laid back show but it does have some conflicts.

Though if you are searching for something like Clannad with drama going on then I can decrease my list a bit and remove the shows where drama is not that heavy.
Old 2011-10-18, 07:03   Link #19
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
well, what i need is a anime that make me have emotional feeling to it, not some anime that i laugh my way through it or have action after action
In short, you don’t like action but also don’t like anime that is too hilarious? That means you want a light-hearted drama anime, right?
Okay, so, from my personal experience let me filter the recommended titles for you (remember that I've never watch some of the titles that aren't suggested here).

Amagami SS
Spice and Wolf
Usagi Drop
Kanon 2006
Bakuman
Kami nomi (The World God only Knows)
Maria-sama ga Miteru (if you like yuri themed anime)
Toradora! (there’s hilarity, but the drama element is stronger)
Angel Beats! (there’s hilarity and little action in it, but the drama element is stronger)
Sora no Woto
Aria
Nodame Cantabile

There’s also an anime called Absolute Boy that may fit your bill.

I hope this re-list can help you, Pointman. Oh, and you too Kitten.
Old 2011-10-18, 07:17   Link #20
kitten320

^If go by this then my list willl look this way:
Kanon2006
Air
Angel Beats
AnoHana
Aoi Hana
Aria the Animation
Bakuman
Dog Days
(drama kicks in later in the series)