AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-09-11, 01:41   Link #781
ArrowSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhyka View Post
I picture Tomoko either becoming a shut in writer or a psychologist with an unconventional approach to therapy lol.
Or to be really pessimistic: dead by suicide.
I called it earlier!
ArrowSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 03:48   Link #782
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Do you mean that the act of creating clubs itself is being unrealistic or do you refer to unrealistic clubs being created? If you meant the former:
I meant the latter. I can't see the schools supporting the existence of pointless clubs like the "SOS Brigade" or the "Going home club" whose only purpose is that of giving a background for the stereotypical harem/moe anime/light novel. In fact, in a different genre of manga and anime, the sports one, the school being about to shut down a perfectly legitimate club just because it's not achieving good enough results or it has not enough members is a common (if opposite) plot device.

I tend to think that truth probably lies in the middle. In "Hikaru no Go" the main character went to a very average school, Haze, which had an amateurish go club with few members and which gathered in the unused science lab in the afternoon thanks to the kindness of a teacher. Believable enough, for an unsuccessful club which still had a reasonable "theme". That manga felt quite realistic (well, ghosts aside), so I guess it's probably something close enough to the truth.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 05:08   Link #783
Qikz

The delusion/dream club situation she had when it turned out she was at home all along, wasn't that actually just the SOS Brigade club room? It looks almost exact I think but I'm not entirely sure.

Either way I often hate/love her character for many different reasons and today was one of the love and feel sorry for her episodes, she's just so socially inept (like I kinda am) that any chance she ever has of making friends she blows by not saying anything or looking weird while thinking of what to say (I thankfully never had this problem though haha).
Qikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 05:21   Link #784
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
The delusion/dream club situation she had when it turned out she was at home all along, wasn't that actually just the SOS Brigade club room? It looks almost exact I think but I'm not entirely sure.
My girlfriend told me the exact same thing as we were watching the episode. Honestly, I don't remember "Haruhi Suzumiya" well enough to confirm, but it surely felt similar. I guess most of these rooms will look pretty much the same anyway.

Old 2013-09-11, 05:58   Link #785
liro
Super Driver

Here's a comparison pic I made. Tomoko has watched Haruhi too much, thinks she could form a similar club.

Old 2013-09-11, 06:41   Link #786
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Damn Mokochi , you need to break your own shell.
-Sho- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 06:54   Link #787
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by liro View Post
Here's a comparison pic I made. Tomoko has watched Haruhi too much, thinks she could form a similar club.

LOOOOL .

There definitely is more than one comparison to be made there. Kudos for the very very subtle reference, Watamote. Well done.

Old 2013-09-11, 07:16   Link #788
hamazura
whatever

and dat KAZEHAYA reference
(watch kimi ni todoke)
Old 2013-09-11, 09:20   Link #789
mystogan
The Lost Lamb

even though her application got rejected which is obvious ,i think it's good that atleast she mustered up the courage to submit her thoughts of a club to the student council now matter how stupid, i guess it could be tiny progress in her.
but then again it mostly worked the other way and the rejection of her application depressed and demotivated her even further.
Old 2013-09-11, 11:49   Link #790
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qikz View Post
It's more than just the club room:

(I'm sure there are scenes with the whole SOS Brigade walking along that road, but I don't know which episode they're in.)
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-11, 22:07   Link #791
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

you know what the irony is? No one really even makes fun of her! She's so shy and timid that you'd think people constantly bullied her all the time, but her classmates treat her fine.

She brings on the scorn herself.
Old 2013-09-12, 00:42   Link #792
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamazura View Post
and dat KAZEHAYA reference
(watch kimi ni todoke)
Yep, caught that as well.

This is actually kind of hurting me. I'm rooting for her so hard, and it seems she's just slipping further into depression (she actually says she's depressed), which, in turn, makes me feel sad and frustrated for her. I really hope something good happens for her by the end of the series.

Endless "You can do it!" Soul
Old 2013-09-12, 04:23   Link #793
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Yep, caught that as well.

This is actually kind of hurting me. I'm rooting for her so hard, and it seems she's just slipping further into depression (she actually says she's depressed), which, in turn, makes me feel sad and frustrated for her. I really hope something good happens for her by the end of the series.

Endless "You can do it!" Soul
Yeah, honestly... this is WAY more depressing than Attack on Titan will ever manage to be, even if it killed off half its cast (wait, it usually actually does on a regular basis). Lots of people dying in gruesome ways aren't nearly as emotionally powerful to me as a single, shy, little girl fighting with herself in a corner of her mind.

Old 2013-09-12, 04:43   Link #794
MasterVampire

Fuck this anime is depressing.

In episode 9 where she finds out her new seat is in the middle of the class that was her chance to breakout and start talking to more people! But no she doesn't see it that way.

And I thought that delusion/dream club situation was real for a second.

I still think the sadest is the previous episode where she was crying while watching the stars and there is that writing on the screen showing her thoughts saying "I read in some book that pain and sadness are the spice of life that makes it enjoyable"

"All I get is spice!!"
"I cant make any thing but curry with this!"

MasterVampire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 08:25   Link #795
SPARTAN 119
Unleashing the Homu-Rage

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandofFate View Post
In Tomoko's adult life, I imagine her getting a mandane office lady job, and stay the same, but when she reaches 28-30, she meets a guy that finally helps her open up. Like a josei manga or something..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utsuro no Hako View Post
She's clearly going to become a reclusive light novel author who writes slice-of-life stories about the high school life she wishes she'd had.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhyka View Post
I picture Tomoko either becoming a shut in writer or a psychologist with an unconventional approach to therapy lol.
Or to be really pessimistic: dead by suicide.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Or a mangaka who details her high-school misery in grim detail.
As per Tomoko's future, as someone, lets just say, had a bad high school experience, as much as people seem to want to suggest her experiences will affect her entire life, Tomoko might well recover from this. If she manages to get into university in particular, she'll see that the high school social structure is really just a stupid phase with no pertinence to your later life. Perhaps join an anime club, make some friends etc. Eventually, no doubt she would find a date, even if, as HandofFate suggested, it's around the time she turns 30.

That said, she needs to get out of her shell a bit and it would also help if she had some goal for her future beyond being popular...
SPARTAN 119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-13, 10:17   Link #796
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Tomoko is quite deep in the pit of despair right now, but I agree that all hope is not lost for her just yet. If she can become a bit more social around strangers, she can make it. She doesn't haver to become like Yuu-chan personality-wise, but being able to make a proper conversation with people other than her family would be something she should aim for. However, I'm not sure this is something she can do on her own.
Old 2013-09-14, 17:11   Link #797
ginger02

I know the feeling of not having your favorite desk in class anymore. I also know the feeling of having your chair taken away and not wanting to ask the other person for it back.

It's great she got to experience some happiness in that area of her's. She could have tried the door or sat on the ground though.

Her classmates all treat her fine, but she struggle herself. Maybe college will help, but that's 2 years away.
ginger02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-14, 18:20   Link #798
Chiaki_chan
Kubo GO TO HELL

I really thought for her desilusion and yes everyone is nice to her but she is too shy made I understand tomoko me too I very Shy
Old 2013-09-14, 18:53   Link #799
Goty

Send a message via ICQ to Goty
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiavik View Post
It's called Ochonan and it's from the manga Fuan no Tane Plus. Don't read it before going to bed if you want to get any sleep at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kj1980 View Post
Ochonan-san オチョナンさん

Reference comes from Nakayama Masaaki's horror manga Fu-an no Tane (serialized on Shonen Champion)
Thanks for the replies, i've been checking that manga and it's incredible how the author makes it so creepy writing such short stories.

I can see why Tomoko thought that would be effective...but i guess it was too much.
Goty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-09-16, 13:27   Link #800
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Spoiler for Episode 11:
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coming of age, dark comedy, high school, satire, slice of life