AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Valkyria Chronicles

Notices

Old 2009-11-22, 19:56   Link #241
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStormtrooper View Post
Some random-arse fic staring Moskvin, working off the idea of Isara chasing Terror Drones...
Heh, that was good for a few laughs.

Quote:
Something has dawned on me... the treaty in VC that bans chemical weapons didn't happen in Red Alert (or Real life at about the same time), hence...
Given the Soviets' use of Desolators and other such units (as well as, in RA/RA2, nuclear weapons), one can safely say such a treaty would not concern them... so yes, what you're referring to there is within the realm of possibility.
On a lighter, gameplay-related note: the fact of some items/upgrades being rewards for completing specific missions (or policing the bodies of certain tangos within a given mission), it might be possible to see Edelweiss with a Tesla projector instead of the usual cannon.
And from the incredibly-silly department...

Spoiler for You can't say you weren't warned.:
Firefly00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 20:08   Link #242
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Location: I'm not gone! I'm where you either use a slingshot or a gun!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefly00 View Post
Heh, that was good for a few laughs.
Can't help but think I made everyone OOC... though, Moskvin sicking a Reaper on poor Isara does sound like something he would do.

Quote:
Given the Soviets' use of Desolators and other such units (as well as, in RA/RA2, nuclear weapons), one can safely say such a treaty would not concern them... so yes, what you're referring to there is within the realm of possibility.
I was moreso thinking of Sarin gas, which the Soviets used during RA1... but Desolation units, and probably nukes, could also be 'constrained' by that treaty...

With that thought, The Soviets had better hope they either win or all get killed: Think of the ramifications it would have against them.

Quote:
On a lighter, gameplay-related note: the fact of some items/upgrades being rewards for completing specific missions (or policing the bodies of certain tangos within a given mission), it might be possible to see Edelweiss with a Tesla projector instead of the usual cannon.
Or, perhaps a a Chronotank mod? I actually greatly consider, since the Edelweiss is probably close enough to your Standard M1 Medium Tank, that the Allies simply have the 88mm swapped out with a 90mm/105mm gun (Since the 75mm gun on the M24/M48 [Depends] light tank sounds like something one would do to the Shamrock.) Also: Mirage and Prisim/Spectrum tech.

Quote:
And from the incredibly-silly department...

Spoiler for You can't say you weren't warned.:
Indeed, but I can't write romance (which beckons the question of "why am I writing a VC fanfic?")

Also, to think about things...

Spoiler for Potential 'Red Alert' spoilers:
RedShocktrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-22, 20:36   Link #243
Firefly00

Send a message via ICQ to Firefly00 Send a message via AIM to Firefly00 Send a message via Yahoo to Firefly00
Quote:
Can't help but think I made everyone OOC... though, Moskvin sicking a Reaper on poor Isara does sound like something he would do.
Well, considering that the piece is pure parody... eh, don't worry about it.

Quote:
I was moreso thinking of Sarin gas, which the Soviets used during RA1... but Desolation units, and probably nukes, could also be 'constrained' by that treaty...

With that thought, The Soviets had better hope they either win or all get killed: Think of the ramifications it would have against them.
In all their RA incarnations, one thing the Soviets don't lack is confidence in victory. Though Moskvin's combination of sadism and access to 'exotic' weaponry (Desolators, etc.) might make the other commanders uneasy about working with him.

Quote:
Or, perhaps a a Chronotank mod?
Ah yes, those. Kind of odd that they didn't make it into RA2 (Allied harvesters there use chrono tech to warp back to their refineries). If the system has the same downside as that used by the Chrono Legionnaires (inability to move or fire after a 'jump' for a length of time proportional to the distance traversed), it's best used for getting out of trouble.

Quote:
Indeed, but I can't write romance (which beckons the question of "why am I writing a VC fanfic?")
Yeah, that concept is hard to write seriously... and can get quite messy if little Yuriko develops certain traits commonly associated with yanderekko...

Quote:
Also, to think about things...

Spoiler for Potential 'Red Alert' spoilers:
Not sure I can help you decide that, but one possible 'compromise' is a stalemate of sorts leading to a Cold War-type situation.
Old 2009-11-22, 20:50   Link #244
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Well, considering that the piece is pure parody... eh, don't worry about it.
Good point... your "Isara chasing Terror drones" bit was too good to pass up.

Quote:
In all their RA incarnations, one thing the Soviets don't lack is confidence in victory. Though Moskvin's combination of sadism and access to 'exotic' weaponry (Desolators, etc.) might make the other commanders uneasy about working with him.
You know, I might actually work Good Ol' Moskvin into the fic, despite him being form RA3, not RA1. There are more commanders in the Soviet military than Field Commander S7 (hmm... I could have some fun with that designation...)

Quote:
Ah yes, those. Kind of odd that they didn't make it into RA2 (Allied harvesters there use chrono tech to warp back to their refineries). If the system has the same downside as that used by the Chrono Legionnaires (inability to move or fire after a 'jump' for a length of time proportional to the distance traversed), it's best used for getting out of trouble.
And getting rid of Terror drones... If I recall, a bug caused Chronominers that went back to the refinery to dump an infecting drone when they shifted.

Quote:
Yeah, that concept is hard to write seriously... and can get quite messy if little Yuriko develops certain traits commonly associated with yanderekko...
That's what I was thinking... Yuriko trying (and possibly succeeding) at bumping off everyone she thinks is getting between her and Welkin. It's all fun and games till she drops a Tsunami tank on Alicia.

Quote:
Not sure I can help you decide that, but one possible 'compromise' is a stalemate of sorts leading to a Cold War-type situation.
Well, the Soviets Win bit was going to be a source of post-story Angst as I wrote on the home front about Welkin getting pressed into the conquering Red Army against his will (much like another fic I wrote, transposing VC into real life's WWII), but your Cold War scenario would be much more interesting to write... perhaps (duck and cover: her comes Red the Jerkass) Welkin and Alicia end up on opposite sides of the Randgriz Wall?

---EDIT---

Here's a good question: What if you Ubercharge a Valkyria, who then goes Final Flame? Does she still die, does nothing happen, or does the explosion, but not the resulting Death of a Valkyria occur?

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2009-11-22 at 21:27.
Old 2009-11-23, 04:34   Link #245
DC20

Guess I'm a little late to the party, but I just stumbled on this.

Runty: Curious, how's chapter 8 coming? I know it's a busy time of year, but the wait between segments always kills me!

Itrytofight: Thanks for the nod, and I completely agree on Huhn's story. Definitely worth a read through.
DC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 11:26   Link #246
Runty

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC20 View Post
Guess I'm a little late to the party, but I just stumbled on this.

Runty: Curious, how's chapter 8 coming? I know it's a busy time of year, but the wait between segments always kills me!

Itrytofight: Thanks for the nod, and I completely agree on Huhn's story. Definitely worth a read through.
I'm working as hard as I can on it, but exams are coming up soon. So I need to keep my priorities straight.

That, and I'm having so much fun with Modern Warfare 2.
Runty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 13:29   Link #247
DC20

Understandable. This is generally a busy time, and school would just compound on that. I'll wait patiently. How is the new CoD, by the way? I'm not huge on arcade type shooters, but I played the first. Probably would have picked this one up too if they hadn't taken out dedicated servers and leaning...
Old 2009-11-23, 13:49   Link #248
Runty

Quote:
Understandable. This is generally a busy time, and school would just compound on that. I'll wait patiently. How is the new CoD, by the way? I'm not huge on arcade type shooters, but I played the first. Probably would have picked this one up too if they hadn't taken out dedicated servers and leaning...
Two words: KICK ASS.
Old 2009-11-23, 16:05   Link #249
DC20

Good to hear. I've heard good things about it, but I don't know. From what I've seen of the single player footage (without knowing the full story, admittedly) it just seems like they tried to throw in as much stuff as they possibly could with nothing but the intention to shock the player over and over while linking the events after the fact without really trying to keep things very realistic. Don't get me wrong, I think the concept of some of the levels (Especially "No Russian") is brilliant, I just think the execution could have been done better, and the style of combat (though fun as balls) isn't deep enough to keep me interested in multiplayer alone. Then again, I haven't played it, so what the Hell do I know?

Uh... on topic. VC Fanfiction. Yay.
Old 2009-11-23, 16:54   Link #250
Runty

Yeah, we should keep on track.

Just to keep you up to speed, I'm having a little difficulty in doing some of the drama parts. READ ONLY IF YOU WANT TO BE SPOILED!
Spoiler for Stuff in Chapter 8:
See what I mean? This is gonna take awhile. But I have no intention of leaving it unfinished. It'd be an insult to VC fans if I did.
Old 2009-11-23, 17:13   Link #251
DC20

Well damn, that's quite a bit going on. I've got another class that I've got to finish up a project for and then hand in, but I'm just listening to presentations today so this will give me something to mull over instead of being incredibly bored for three hours. I'll try to give you some feedback when I return. And how do you write in those spoiler bars? They'll come in handy...
Old 2009-11-23, 18:10   Link #252
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

I am overshadowed by awesome and for that I am not bothered.

and to answer a question, you add in the spoiler bars by either A) clicking on that little '!' symbol above the typing box, or, if you want the code, B)

[*SPOILER="Like this"][/SPOILER]

Just remove the asterisk.
Old 2009-11-23, 19:22   Link #253
Firefly00

Quote:
That's what I was thinking... Yuriko trying (and possibly succeeding) at bumping off everyone she thinks is getting between her and Welkin. It's all fun and games till she drops a Tsunami tank on Alicia.
Extra points if, in a nod to Runty's work, this 'everyone' includes certain elements within the upper echelons of Gallia's military. Apparently, Yuriko got herself onto the distribution lists for the various intel ops the shinobi are running...
Also watch for at least one of the Japanese commanders (along with Edy and Rosie) facepalming because they have some idea what's going on, but aren't sure how to handle it safely.

Quote:
Well, the Soviets Win bit was going to be a source of post-story Angst as I wrote on the home front about Welkin getting pressed into the conquering Red Army against his will (much like another fic I wrote, transposing VC into real life's WWII)...
I'll get back to you after digesting said story.

Quote:
Here's a good question: What if you Ubercharge a Valkyria, who then goes Final Flame? Does she still die, does nothing happen, or does the explosion, but not the resulting Death of a Valkyria occur?
I suspect that a Valkyria who triggers Final Flame while under the effect of an Übercharge will still die (see: Iron Curtained Yaris using Final Voyage). Kritzkrieg is likely to 'pump' the explosion, naturally.

Quote:
I am overshadowed by awesome and for that I am not bothered.
Yeah; it's nice to see we haven't scared everyone else off.
Old 2009-11-23, 20:30   Link #254
itrytofight

Yay! I now know, sorta, how to make spoiler bars. The thing is there's nothing for me to spoil and about quotations... too much to quote.

So I'll just type, Runty your idea about the love triangle and Marina being captured and such... is it just a summary for an upcoming story or is it already posted?

To RedStormTrooper, have you udpated yet? And saw that you posted the Isara scaring the crap outta Terror Drones fic, cool.

To DC20, you should try at least renting CoD4:MW2 cause from what I've seen it looks pretty good (No Russian... am I the only one getting a VC fanfic idea from this, especially with the new enemy coming out in VC2). Too bad I don't have a PS3 and my laptop can't play any games.

To Firefly00: I agree with you about the ubercharged Final Flame, cause if the original final flame killed the Valkyria using it why not a charged one? I also would wonder what would happen if Yuriko was in Squad 7, alot of tense and awkward "Love Hina" moments there, and how she would compare to the other two valkyria.

I didn't get everything yet but I'll just leave this anyways!
itrytofight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2009-11-23, 21:46   Link #255
DC20

Can't rent it. Shooters on console are fail. I would either play PC or not at all. Otherwise I would. Also, the description that Runty posted is of his story "Valkyria Chronicles: Lone Wulf". It's up to chapter 7 right now. A lot of the details from what he wrote in the spoiler box would be in chapter 8. Give it a read through. I would highly recommend it. I mean... it has Cherry in it. How can you not love it?
Spoiler for Cherry! NOOOOOO!:

Alright. Things that are actually important to Runty's story. SPOILERS FOR "LONE WULF". Srsly.

Spoiler for Lone Wulf Ch. 8:

Last edited by DC20; 2009-11-24 at 13:27. Reason: Reason?
Old 2009-11-24, 13:52   Link #256
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
Extra points if, in a nod to Runty's work, this 'everyone' includes certain elements within the upper echelons of Gallia's military. Apparently, Yuriko got herself onto the distribution lists for the various intel ops the shinobi are running...
Or, she could first be something like a particular (soviet) submarine captain from a Tom Clancy book.

Quote:
Also watch for at least one of the Japanese commanders (along with Edy and Rosie) facepalming because they have some idea what's going on, but aren't sure how to handle it safely.
That Japanese commander with his hat down over his eyes and never talks is worth watching. He probably knows something.

Quote:
I'll get back to you after digesting said story.
I'll save you some time: Battlefield Gallia chronicles the events that occur to the armored infantry regiment S7 gets put into. This Armored Infantry regiment happens to belong to the German Wehrmacht. Also, Selvaria and Rommel. But not Sel/Rommel, since the good Marshal doesn't actually think too highly of Selvaria.

Quote:
I suspect that a Valkyria who triggers Final Flame while under the effect of an Übercharge will still die (see: Iron Curtained Yaris using Final Voyage). Kritzkrieg is likely to 'pump' the explosion, naturally.
True... DAMMIT. Now I'm trying to figure out who would outshout the other, Alicia or the Soldier (also; Isara beating the crap out of a Spy, a Scout, and a Heavy.) And A Medic Kritzing a Final Flaming Valkyria... how'd he become a Medic in the first place?

Quote:
Yeah; it's nice to see we haven't scared everyone else off.
Always a good sign.

Quote:
Spoiler for Cherry! NOOOOOO!:
I C WUT U DID THAR.

And I wholeheartedly agree.

EDIT: I can't possibly be the only guy here that thinks that RA2 Soviet Conscripts look a bit like their Imperial (The East Europans, not the Japanese) counterparts, can I?

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2009-11-24 at 14:56.
Old 2009-11-24, 16:58   Link #257
Firefly00

Quote:
Originally Posted by itrytofight View Post
(No Russian... am I the only one getting a VC fanfic idea from this, especially with the new enemy coming out in VC2).
Probably not; I'll have to let this sit on the back burners for a while...

Quote:
I also would wonder what would happen if Yuriko was in Squad 7...
(emphasis mine)
That would indeed prove an interesting development.

Quote:
Or, she could first be something like a particular (soviet) submarine captain from a Tom Clancy book.
A couple of those come to mind: Marko Alexandrovich Ramius and one of his onetime students, Viktor Tupolev (no known relation to the Tupolev involved with the eponymous aircraft design bureau); I suspect you're referring to the former.

Quote:
That Japanese commander with his hat down over his eyes and never talks is worth watching. He probably knows something.
Yes, he probably does; it seems he finds it too troublesome to involve himself.

Quote:
I'll save you some time...
I'd already digested the whole thing later that evening; it made for rather engaging reading. And given Rommel's being one of the more level-headed members of the Wehrmacht officer corps, his dislike of Selvaria is understandable. After all, he has to deal with enough overconfidence from his own National Command Authourity.

Quote:
(also; Isara beating the crap out of a Spy, a Scout, and a Heavy.)
Wait, let me guess: they helped themselves to her cookies without asking (a nod to one of the Heavy shorts TF2 put out).

Quote:
And A Medic Kritzing a Final Flaming Valkyria... how'd he become a Medic in the first place?
Well... if he got an Engineer to help him create a disposable device which gives its user a Kritzkrieg charge...

Quote:
EDIT: I can't possibly be the only guy here that thinks that RA2 Soviet Conscripts look a bit like their Imperial (The East Europans, not the Japanese) counterparts, can I?
If that's so, I see another parody one-off where a gaggle of them end up trading gripes about incompetent (or worse) superiors...
Old 2009-11-24, 18:06   Link #258
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

Quote:
That would indeed prove an interesting development.
Hmm... that would be intersting... DAMMIT. YURIKO IN A MILITA UNIFORM.

Quote:
A couple of those come to mind: Marko Alexandrovich Ramius and one of his onetime students, Viktor Tupolev (no known relation to the Tupolev involved with the eponymous aircraft design bureau); I suspect you're referring to the former.
Yep. Ramius.

Quote:
Yes, he probably does; it seems he finds it too troublesome to involve himself.
Either that, or he literally can't speak.

Quote:
I'd already digested the whole thing later that evening; it made for rather engaging reading. And given Rommel's being one of the more level-headed members of the Wehrmacht officer corps, his dislike of Selvaria is understandable. After all, he has to deal with enough overconfidence from his own National Command Authourity.
I also figure something like this would happen in the RA/VC fic:

Spoiler for OMG ENDING SPOILERS:

Quote:
Wait, let me guess: they helped themselves to her cookies without asking (a nod to one of the Heavy shorts TF2 put out).
Given how much sense "Moskvin Madness" made, why the heck not? Spy sappin' mah Edelweiss?

Quote:
Well... if he got an Engineer to help him create a disposable device which gives its user a Kritzkrieg charge...
I also figured something:

If Maximilian managed to get a TF2 medic, he could possibly attempt to make some version of Ubercharge that applied a Valkyria's powers to someone for a short while... and also, Beta and Current RED Soldiers working for Max.

Quote:
If that's so, I see another parody one-off where a gaggle of them end up trading gripes about incompetent (or worse) superiors...
The Conscripts about Romanov, and the Imperials about Maximilian. Followed shortly thereafter by the two leaders barging into the room, and lots of KGB operatives.

EDIT: Who here caught the Red Dawn Reference in "Moskvin Madness?"

Last edited by RedShocktrooper; 2009-11-24 at 18:27.
Old 2009-11-25, 18:36   Link #259
RedShocktrooper
Charge Me!

My apologies for the Double Post (I'll admit, I only D-P when I feel I need to), but I've updated the VC/RA1 Crossover fic, Red Alert/Red Star Rising.

I feel my naming convention for each chapter is witty of me (Twin Cannon, Hell March, Mud, Abolishment, etc. are all tracks from a Red Alert game. I intend to have a "Militant Force," "Perseverance," and "Eminent." Also going to try to get "Workmen" or "Vector" in there.)
Old 2009-11-25, 19:47   Link #260
Firefly00

Quote:
My apologies for the Double Post (I'll admit, I only D-P when I feel I need to), but I've updated the VC/RA1 Crossover fic, Red Alert/Red Star Rising.
Read it, got a chuckle out of the 'why didn't anyone think of it before?' solution to the Obvious Weak Spot. You'd think that would be the first thing field modifications try and address, but... well, I guess the lesson finally sunk in.
We also expect flame tanks (in the Soviets' case, you could borrow from Generals the PLA's Dragons) to crop up, as well as flame troopers (for the Soviets, it was easy to modify the Tesla Trooper kit, assuming you're using their RA2/3 incarnations.
Also expected to show up among various tanks are 'beehive' APERS shells.. these are basically king-sized shotgun rounds, packed with flechettes instead of shot (this was a common load for the Ontos minitank).
Wait, 'Red Star Rising'? Oh dear, that reminded me of Christian Gossett's alt-reality comic series... which is in its own right interesting fodder for crossover or fusion...

Quote:
I feel my naming convention for each chapter is witty of me (Twin Cannon, Hell March, Mud, Abolishment, etc. are all tracks from a Red Alert game. I intend to have a "Militant Force," "Perseverance," and "Eminent." Also going to try to get "Workmen" or "Vector" in there.)
'Workmen' might suit a chapter focused on R&D; 'Vector' for a good look at the aerial aspects of the way... I imagine all those Gallian officials who dismissed the potential of airpower to change war are enjoying their dish of crow.

Quote:
Yep. Ramius.
As long as we're here, the closest Ramius-analogue among the Japanese high command might well be Takara Sato. More pondering on this matter is necessary...

Quote:
Either that, or he literally can't speak.
Well, I did hear the poor blighter got a 'Hicks facelift' (which explains in part the high collar and pulled-down hat)...

Quote:
If Maximilian managed to get a TF2 medic, he could possibly attempt to make some version of Ubercharge that applied a Valkyria's powers to someone for a short while...
You surely recall musings about the various black programs which might exist in the canon VC world; this might well be one of them...

Quote:
The Conscripts about Romanov, and the Imperials about Maximilian. Followed shortly thereafter by the two leaders barging into the room, and lots of KGB operatives.
Heh. I wonder what the Imperial analogue to the KGB (or, if you prefer to use its predecessor's designation, NKVD) would be called...

Quote:
Who here caught the Red Dawn Reference in "Moskvin Madness?"
The 'Fort-Something-or-Other'?

Tags
fanfiction