AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-03-30, 10:47   Link #1
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Kinnikuman

To all Kinnikuman fans out there, this is a thread dedicated to discussing anything about the classic manga hit in Japan known as Kinnikuman. For any newcomers that might be interested in learning about what Kinnikuman is, I will provide a brief synopsis.

Kinnikuman can best be defined as a comedy/wrestling manga. It was created by two people who go under the alias Yudetamago and it debuted in Shonen Jump comics in 1979. Eventually it became one of Japan's most popular mangas in history. Throughout the years since its inception, numerous video games have been spawned and the amount of merchandise sold is absolutely amazing. If newcomers do a google search by simply typing in "Kinnikuman", they will be able to learn a lot about this classic series.

Anyways, the reason why I made this thread is because I find that Kinnikuman is a classic series that is often overlooked and not appreciated enough. It inspired and influenced many other manga creators in their works and it is still going strong to this day in Japan. I am still in the process of learning more about this series myself and I would really like to discuss it with any Kinnikuman veterans out there as well as any newcomers that want to learn more about Kinnikuman. I hope everyone enjoys themselves here .
Old 2008-04-24, 22:13   Link #2
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Let me start off by asking the first question for this thread. Who is/are your favorite Kinnikuman characters?

From the seigi chojin cast in the old generation, I think I like Buffaloman and Ramenman the best overall. I found it really awesome when they joined together to form the "20 million powers" team. As for the villains in the old generation, my favorites would have to be Akuma Shogun, Neptuneman, and Super Phoenix. I really don't like the majority of the cast in the new generation, but if I had to pick favorites, they would probably be Kevin Mask and Ricardo.
Old 2010-03-03, 16:55   Link #3
Blackbeard D. Kuma

It's been a long while since I created this topic, and now that the series is almost completely scanlated, I'm wondering if there's anyone here who has been reading this series that would like to share their thoughts?
Old 2010-03-03, 17:00   Link #4
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It's a title i plan to read eventually, having been very interested by the adaptations that i've seen over the years. I'm sure to have a blast now that it's almost fully translated, meaning i can take my sweet time with it.

Can't wait to start!
Old 2010-03-03, 17:02   Link #5
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
It's a title i plan to read eventually, having been very interested by the adaptations that i've seen over the years. I'm sure to have a blast now that it's almost fully translated, meaning i can take my sweet time with it.

Can't wait to start!
Thanks a lot for the reply . I'm really looking forward to having discussions for this series with the great community we have here.
Old 2010-03-03, 17:04   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

It'll be a few weeks before i start reading, though i shall not forget to post my thoughts from time to time while i'm experiencing this classic of a title.
Old 2010-03-03, 17:08   Link #7
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
It'll be a few weeks before i start reading, though i shall not forget to post my thoughts from time to time while i'm experiencing this classic of a title.
It's an important series to read, as it pretty much set the foundations and rules of shonen manga. Series like Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and One Piece, were influenced by it.
Old 2010-03-03, 17:40   Link #8
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeard D. Kuma View Post
It's an important series to read, as it pretty much set the foundations and rules of shonen manga. Series like Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, and One Piece, were influenced by it.
Indeed, hence one of the main reasons why i want to check it out. Plus i adored the adaptation of the sequel and what i've read of the manga, so doing it in order seems like a good way to go.
Old 2010-03-03, 21:02   Link #9
Cinocard

People need to grin through the first 2-30 chapters of this manga, since they feel like a totally different manga, but after the first world chojin tournament, the manga really picks up.

Alos, its better to read this manga if one is really bad with physics, since there are a lot of crappy invented physic laws almost every single fight

Quote:
If you count the sequel, the manga is on-going. The volume count is almost equal to Hajime no Ippo.
Old 2010-03-04, 10:46   Link #10
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinocard View Post
People need to grin through the first 2-30 chapters of this manga, since they feel like a totally different manga
That's because the beginning chapters were basically parodies of Ultraman. After that, the series became more about wrestling.
Old 2011-03-17, 12:53   Link #11
Blackbeard D. Kuma

For those interested, the "Scramble for the Throne" arc is being scanlated once again. Chapter 331 just came out.
Old 2011-03-18, 20:10   Link #12
ShiroiRyu

11/17/10: Chapters 327-328 have been uploaded.

But they don't speak about. XD
How we can know about this ?
Baka-updates don't speak about that too. ^^
Old 2011-03-18, 23:02   Link #13
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiroiRyu View Post
11/17/10: Chapters 327-328 have been uploaded.

But they don't speak about. XD
How we can know about this ?
Baka-updates don't speak about that too. ^^
Visit a forum called "Little Rubber Guys". There's a sub-forum dedicated to discussing all things Kinnikuman related. You'll find all the most up-to-date news there. Look into the "Kinnikuman Translated Manga" thread. Here's the link: http://www.littlerubberguys.com/foru...p?showforum=26
Old 2011-03-19, 10:23   Link #14
ShiroiRyu

Wow ... Thanks a lot ... And i already knew about the forum... I'm stupid. <_<
Old 2011-04-06, 21:51   Link #15
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Episode 16 of the Kinnikuman anime has been released. Get it while it's hot at Hokuto no Gun forums.
Old 2011-04-13, 08:19   Link #16
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Episode 17 is out at the usual place. The epic match between Kinnikuman and Robin Mask continues.
Old 2011-04-29, 13:45   Link #17
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Episode 18 has just been released, and with that comes the conclusion to the Chojin Olympics Saga. Did Kinnikuman win? Or was the victor the reigning champion Robin Mask? Check it out at the Hokuto no Gun forums to find out !
Old 2011-05-11, 17:25   Link #18
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Chapters 332-335 have been uploaded. Get em' while they're hot .

And with that, we're more than half way past the final epic arc of this series. Things are truly getting intense.

Last edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma; 2011-05-11 at 17:37.
Old 2011-05-12, 10:45   Link #19
marvelB

Holy crap, I can't believe I missed this thread!

Anyways, I love Kinnikuman! Definitely one of my top favorite old-school mangas. As far as some of my favorite choujin characters go, I'd list Suguru (naturally ), Ramenman, Kinkotsuman (though he's technically not a choujin), Robin Mask, Warsman, Prince Kamehame (particularly under his Kinnikuman Great persona), Neptuneman and Big the Budo ([b]CROSS BOMBER!]/b] ). As far as the other Kinniku prince candidates go, I always liked Kinnikuman Zebra the best. As far as favorite fights go, I'll get to that in another post.....
Old 2011-05-13, 15:38   Link #20
Blackbeard D. Kuma

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
Anyways, I love Kinnikuman! Definitely one of my top favorite old-school mangas. As far as some of my favorite choujin characters go, I'd list Suguru (naturally ), Ramenman, Kinkotsuman (though he's technically not a choujin), Robin Mask, Warsman, Prince Kamehame (particularly under his Kinnikuman Great persona), Neptuneman and Big the Budo ([b]CROSS BOMBER!]/b] ). As far as the other Kinniku prince candidates go, I always liked Kinnikuman Zebra the best. As far as favorite fights go, I'll get to that in another post.....
I'm waiting until the Scramble for the Throne arc is finished before I fully decide on my favorite Kinniku prince. Favorite villain is without a doubt Akuma Shogun. He's arguably the most powerful entity in the Kinnikuman universe, and I just loved how he's the true embodiment of pure evil.