AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Light Novels > To Aru... Index [LN/M]

Notices

Old 2014-10-20, 04:49   Link #2521
LevelSeven

Spoiler for doom:

EDIT:
actually, i have a question, if misakis ability is to control moisture wouldnt this make her power into a side form of acquakinesis? AND hwo could she create barriers for the misaka network if her powers wasnt based on electricity?

Last edited by LevelSeven; 2014-10-21 at 14:10.
LevelSeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-23, 22:25   Link #2522
The One Above God
Kamijou

Not sure if it's right to post this here but...oh well.

Regarding Fraulein Kreutune's information eating ability, would it be possible for her to eat the internet? I'm not quite sure whether I understood her power that much so...Anyway, I'm planning to re-read that part (I'm already at NT1...again) so sooner or later I might just get a better understanding of her abilities.

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 04:52   Link #2523
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by The One Above God View Post
Not sure if it's right to post this here but...oh well.

Regarding Fraulein Kreutune's information eating ability, would it be possible for her to eat the internet? I'm not quite sure whether I understood her power that much so...Anyway, I'm planning to re-read that part (I'm already at NT1...again) so sooner or later I might just get a better understanding of her abilities.
you seem to be mistaken something, Fraulein ability is to reproduce the information and attempt evolution through the information like she learn how to move her hand, the eating part is simply the mean, for example with LO case, she didn't eat LO to because she want LO power, but to replicate her brain to access Misaka network to get all the information, so in the Internet case, she would likely eat some sort of access function to access the Internet rather than try eating it.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-24, 05:38   Link #2524
The One Above God
Kamijou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
you seem to be mistaken something, Fraulein ability is to reproduce the information and attempt evolution through the information like she learn how to move her hand, the eating part is simply the mean, for example with LO case, she didn't eat LO to because she want LO power, but to replicate her brain to access Misaka network to get all the information, so in the Internet case, she would likely eat some sort of access function to access the Internet rather than try eating it.
I see....thanks for that

"I'll destroy that illusion!"
The One Above God is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 03:55   Link #2525
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

All that said, Fräulein Kreutune probably could eat wifi signals and the like. After all, she ate an incorporeal information entity (cockroach colony!Yakumi Hisako) just fine. It just wouldn't do her any good without the functions to decrypt that data.

Spoiler for @LevelSeven:

Quote:
EDIT:
actually, i have a question, if misakis ability is to control moisture wouldnt this make her power into a side form of acquakinesis? AND hwo could she create barriers for the misaka network if her powers wasnt based on electricity?
Well, in actual fact it has been shown that a similar power working through similar means actually can influence water on a macroscopic scale if the user is worked up enough. It just doesn't happen with any degree of control.

As for the Misaka network, while her powers aren't based off electricity, they do control bioelectricity indirectly, resulting in pretty much the same effects. The mechanism of her power doesn't matter here, only the results.
Old 2014-10-25, 04:41   Link #2526
SimoHalo
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to SimoHalo Send a message via AIM to SimoHalo Send a message via Yahoo to SimoHalo
@doom

I've read your argument for Thor, but I don't think that he could use his arc blades while in Almighty mode.

Lightning God Thor and Almighty Thor are two different "entities", and while we will probably never know if this is the case, Almighty Thor didn't use the Belt of Strength against Touma, probably because the Belt of Strength belongs to "Lightning God" Thor and not "Almighty" Thor.
SimoHalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-25, 04:58   Link #2527
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimoHalo View Post
@doom

I've read your argument for Thor, but I don't think that he could use his arc blades while in Almighty mode.

Lightning God Thor and Almighty Thor are two different "entities", and while we will probably never know if this is the case, Almighty Thor didn't use the Belt of Strength against Touma, probably because the Belt of Strength belongs to "Lightning God" Thor and not "Almighty" Thor.
In that case the question would be how fast can he change between ''Almighty'' and ''Lighting God''. If it takes less than 0.0001 seconds then he would still be able to defeat Acqua.
Old 2014-10-25, 05:06   Link #2528
SimoHalo
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to SimoHalo Send a message via AIM to SimoHalo Send a message via Yahoo to SimoHalo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
In that case the question would be how fast can he change between ''Almighty'' and ''Lighting God''. If it takes less than 0.0001 seconds then he would still be able to defeat Acqua.
Of course, I simply wrote it down because the fight between Thor and Touma got me thinking, if Thor was using the Belt of Strength Touma would've been reduced to fine red mist. Probably, since he has tanked some shit.
Old 2014-10-25, 05:10   Link #2529
Fellen
*Insert user title here*

Quote:
Of course, I simply wrote it down because the fight between Thor and Touma got me thinking, if Thor was using the Belt of Strength Touma would've been reduced to fine red mist. Probably, since he has tanked some shit.
Thor does want fighting experience so maybe he wanted to see can Touma counter his Almighty mode in some way, since crushing Touma instantly wouldn't give him any.
Old 2014-10-25, 05:24   Link #2530
SimoHalo
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fellen View Post
Thor does want fighting experience so maybe he wanted to see can Touma counter his Almighty mode in some way, since crushing Touma instantly wouldn't give him any.
Also true, maybe we will learn more about Thor in future novels. Well I hope so at least, since he is awesome, and I liked him and Touma running around
Old 2014-10-25, 05:59   Link #2531
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

Quote:
@doom

With due respect, I would appreciate it if you made sure you knew all the aspects of an argument before adding to it. LevelSeven already made that exact argument and I already disproved it a few posts back.
Old 2014-10-25, 06:03   Link #2532
SimoHalo
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doom_Paperclip View Post
With due respect, I would appreciate it if you made sure you knew all the aspects of an argument before adding to it. LevelSeven already made that exact argument and I already disproved it a few posts back.
Ah sorry, didn't see that, I only saw the piece where you said that using the arc blades + the Almighty power would net Thor a clean win
Old 2014-10-25, 06:54   Link #2533
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

^It's all right. These things happen when an argument spans several pages. If anything, i should apologize for snapping at you. In any case, here's the proof that Lightning and Almighty powers can coexist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume NT10
“This is all I have. From beginning to end, it’s nothing but this. With Mjölnir’s support, I can add in the fusion blades and make it a little more acrobatic, but this is all I have now. To be blunt, this is your chance. You’ll never have a better opportunity.”

Even with that incomplete power, he had fought over one hundred Gremlin members and defeated them all unscathed. Even if he enjoyed attacking at his enemy’s weak points, he had still been taking on almost the entire organization that had caused so much chaos in the world.
It is outright stated he could add the blades with Mjölnir’s support. In case there were any doubts about how to interpret that sentence, the text later specifies that at the time, Thor's power was incomplete. This is why Thor claimed that it was Touma's best chance, because Thor still wasn't at his peak.
Old 2014-10-26, 06:07   Link #2534
SimoHalo
Inactive Member

Quote:
^It's all right. These things happen when an argument spans several pages. If anything, i should apologize for snapping at you. In any case, here's the proof that Lightning and Almighty powers can coexist:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume NT10
“This is all I have. From beginning to end, it’s nothing but this. With Mjölnir’s support, I can add in the fusion blades and make it a little more acrobatic, but this is all I have now. To be blunt, this is your chance. You’ll never have a better opportunity.

Even with that incomplete power, he had fought over one hundred Gremlin members and defeated them all unscathed. Even if he enjoyed attacking at his enemy’s weak points, he had still been taking on almost the entire organization that had caused so much chaos in the world.
It is outright stated he could add the blades with Mjölnir’s support. In case there were any doubts about how to interpret that sentence, the text later specifies that at the time, Thor's power was incomplete. This is why Thor claimed that it was Touma's best chance, because Thor still wasn't at his peak.
Ah nice catch, but another question that has been bugging me for a while, but what did Gungnir destroyed in NT9?

The narration says:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volume NT9
In other words, the instant that lance left Othinus’s hands, the world would be blown to pieces.

Time returned to normal.

Kamijou once more felt space spread out around him.
Does that mean that Othinus destroyed the "world" (as in planet Earth) or the "universe", since the narration implies that the "world" includes also galaxies?
Old 2014-10-26, 18:48   Link #2535
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Okay, I have a question about omnipotence.

Omnipotence means the ability to do anything right? Does having omnipotence mean that you can't improve at how you do any specific task, or does it mean that you can achieve anything, but you could possibly achieve it in a better manner? There is a difference between being able to achieve anything anyone could come up with, and being able to achieve it in a manner that can't be beaten even by an individual who has "perfected" or verily honed their own way of doing that one thing.

If omnipotence means that you can't improve at how you do any specific task, then can an omnipotent person IMPROVE their absolute limits? Isn't that a contradiction? On the other hand, if an omnipotent person is someone who is defined to pursue any task in a corresponding perfect manner, then the omnipotent person is incapable of pursuing tasks in a less than perfect manner. If one argues, that the perfect manner of pursuing the task from their perspective is pursuing it in a less than perfect manner from my perspective, then it still doesn't answer, how they could pursue tasks in a less than perfect manner from their own perspective (all the while maintaining their omnipotence so they aren't allowed to temporarily get rid of some of their memories or abilities to try to cheaply get around this argument).

What bothers me most about omnipotence isn't that it's unreasonable to assume that feats more complex than what we can think about can be achieved; rather, the idea that it would be impossible for an omnipotent being to improve seems absurd. If one lacks the ability to improve, then they can't be omnipotent. This is me trying to disassemble levelseven's version of omnipotence which goes past logic.

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 19:39   Link #2536
Ravagerblade
The Fearless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
Okay, I have a question about omnipotence.

Omnipotence means the ability to do anything right? Does having omnipotence mean that you can't improve at how you do any specific task, or does it mean that you can achieve anything, but you could possibly achieve it in a better manner? There is a difference between being able to achieve anything anyone could come up with, and being able to achieve it in a manner that can't be beaten even by an individual who has "perfected" or verily honed their own way of doing that one thing.

If omnipotence means that you can't improve at how you do any specific task, then can an omnipotent person IMPROVE their absolute limits? Isn't that a contradiction? On the other hand, if an omnipotent person is someone who is defined to pursue any task in a corresponding perfect manner, then the omnipotent person is incapable of pursuing tasks in a less than perfect manner. If one argues, that the perfect manner of pursuing the task from their perspective is pursuing it in a less than perfect manner from my perspective, then it still doesn't answer, how they could pursue tasks in a less than perfect manner from their own perspective (all the while maintaining their omnipotence so they aren't allowed to temporarily get rid of some of their memories or abilities to try to cheaply get around this argument).

What bothers me most about omnipotence isn't that it's unreasonable to assume that feats more complex than what we can think about can be achieved; rather, the idea that it would be impossible for an omnipotent being to improve seems absurd. If one lacks the ability to improve, then they can't be omnipotent. This is me trying to disassemble levelseven's version of omnipotence which goes past logic.
Let me say that 'If being omnipotent means being unable to improve which means that should be the same as perfect, If that's that case then how do you define perfect?'

My thought's - If Magic God's were perfect wouldn't that just be subjective? If we have no absolute measuring stick we can only assume what a Perfect Magic God would be.... Othinus was trying to become a 'Perfect Magic God' no? but I'd much rather believe her trying to get to state were she wouldn't fail for a single purpose.
There are many things out there beyond simple understanding to label something truly omnipotent.

Well that's my two cents.... lol

“No, I don’t get it at all. I may claim to ‘understand’ Othinus, but I only know her as a girl. I don’t understand anything when it comes to her being a Magic God.” - Touma NT13
Ravagerblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 19:46   Link #2537
Doom_Paperclip
lethal office stationery

There are two types of Omnipotence. The first is logical, or limited, Omnipotence. This is defined as the ability to achieve anything within the confines of basic logic. Thus wiping out the Universe is fine, but making a stone so heavy you cannot lift it is not. This version cannot improve itself.

The second type is true, or absolute, Omnipotence. Here, you can do anything, including the things you can't. You can make a sandwich so big you cannot eat it, then eat it anyway. You can improve yourself more than infinitely. You can own more than everything and less than nothing at once. Logic no longer matters. Things need not be equal to themselves; you can have statements that are both true and false, neither true nor false or have a third value of smarmy. Indeed, the very rules by which logic operates can be twisted at will.

At this point, human brains just break. Our thought processes are founded on logic. It isn't always very good logic, but we do need logic of some form to understand a concept. Thus something superior to logic cannot be understood by man (unless, of course, an absolutely Omnipotent being chooses to make it understandable). Trust me when I say that the more you think of it, the more lost you become.

In any case, it doesn't matter in TAMNI, because Magic Gods are not Omnipotent, absolutely or otherwise. The text says they wield infinite possibilities, but it never uses the word "Omnipotent" to describe them. The distinction is important. Infinity is not necessarily all-encompassing. There are infinite natural numbers, but pi is not among them. Magic Gods are nigh-Omnipotent, but they still have things they cannot do, even within the confines of logic. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't need to hatch complicated plans to get what they want.

PS: @SimoHalo; Gungnir did indeed destroy the Universe.
Old 2014-10-26, 20:00   Link #2538
dniv
I’m sorry, Kamijou-san!!

Quote:
There are two types of Omnipotence. The first is logical, or limited, Omnipotence. This is defined as the ability to achieve anything within the confines of basic logic. Thus wiping out the Universe is fine, but making a stone so heavy you cannot lift it is not. This version cannot improve itself.

The second type is true, or absolute, Omnipotence. Here, you can do anything, including the things you can't. You can make a sandwich so big you cannot eat it, then eat it anyway. You can improve yourself more than infinitely. You can own more than everything and less than nothing at once. Logic no longer matters. Things need not be equal to themselves; you can have statements that are both true and false, neither true nor false or have a third value of smarmy. Indeed, the very rules by which logic operates can be twisted at will.

At this point, human brains just break. Our thought processes are founded on logic. It isn't always very good logic, but we do need logic of some form to understand a concept. Thus something superior to logic cannot be understood by man (unless, of course, an absolutely Omnipotent being chooses to make it understandable). Trust me when I say that the more you think of it, the more lost you become.

In any case, it doesn't matter in TAMNI, because Magic Gods are not Omnipotent, absolutely or otherwise. The text says they wield infinite possibilities, but it never uses the word "Omnipotent" to describe them. The distinction is important. Infinity is not necessarily all-encompassing. There are infinite natural numbers, but pi is not among them. Magic Gods are nigh-Omnipotent, but they still have things they cannot do, even within the confines of logic. If that weren't the case, they wouldn't need to hatch complicated plans to get what they want.

PS: @SimoHalo; Gungnir did indeed destroy the Universe.
I understand your point and agree with you, but I want to clarify that even with the Limited version of Omnipotence which can do anything, it should still be able to improve... After all, if you can do anything within the bounds of reason, then you should be able to improve your method of executing anything within the bounds of reason. After all, what can be accomplished within the bounds of reason varies over time...

Favorite Game Series: #0 The legend of heroes (everything but especially ZERO/AO) #1 Zero escape series. #2 Persona series. #3 Pokemon. #4 Bravely Default series. ; #5 Ace Attorney (including the spin-offs); #6 Legend of Zelda. #7 Dragon Quest (including the spin-offs)

Favorite Anime: Castle in the Sky (why is this so underrated ) Gankutsuou; Railgun S; Little Witch Academia (one of the most philosophically interesting/deep shows that I've seen, while also being the single most feel good of feel good shows that I have ever seen; literally the weirdest combination ever); Kill la Kill (because it saved anime )
dniv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 20:32   Link #2539
dragon1412

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
I understand your point and agree with you, but I want to clarify that even with the Limited version of Omnipotence which can do anything, it should still be able to improve... After all, if you can do anything within the bounds of reason, then you should be able to improve your method of executing anything within the bounds of reason. After all, what can be accomplished within the bounds of reason varies over time...
you clearly misunderstanding the nature of Omnipotence, one of it aspect is which known as Omniscience = all knowing, disregarding time or space, how can you improve anything when the best absolute method was already before you ??? whether it's inherent or total Omniscience, when you inquire the knowledge about the method, every single method within the bound of logic is already present, and since you are an Omniscience, there is absolutely no knowledge that could make your method better.You are assuming that omnipotence changes over time based on how logic increased over time, but that's a big mistake, the logic already there, it's just that human have yet to discover it, just because we don't have concise knowledge about how Big Bang work doesn't mean that it's impossible to find it.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-10-26, 20:59   Link #2540
Miraluka
Banned

Almighty =\= Omnipotent

Volume.4 says only the Almighty can do such feats.
Miraluka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hard science