Notices

Old 2019-11-06, 03:43   Link #61
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Two more days before DS is out.

----

IGN preview on Conan's role.

The vid seen in Kojima's tweet in the same, except the voice is done by Sugita.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Yu Ominae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-08, 01:20   Link #62
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Already out.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2019-11-08, 01:28   Link #63
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Playing it right now.

Two hours in and I can tell you that they're right. This is NOT a game for people with short attention spans.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-09, 01:24   Link #64
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

I need to pick up the dogs from the groomers right now.

But... I also need to deliver packages.

Must... deliver... packages...
Old 2019-11-09, 09:35   Link #65
Kafriel
Senior Guest

Well, it's just delivering packages, the most basic and generic MMO quest ever. How hard...could it...be...right?
Kafriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-09, 10:47   Link #66
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
Well, it's just delivering packages, the most basic and generic MMO quest ever. How hard...could it...be...right?
You'd be surprised how hard it can be sometimes. The social strand aspect is actually surprisingly well integrated into the game. I've probably had one or two instances where someone's foresight saved my ass due to my lack of my own.

It was also a bit of a ways in the game that I realized I helped a bunch of other players too. Case in point: I focused on (re)building of a specific structure in one map because it really managed to help make my travels easier. A few hours later (a few minutes before this post!) when I came back to the game I received reports of a lot of players apparently used the same structure I rebuilt to help their own travels, with the resultant volley of Likes.

It was easy to be skeptical on my end on how they wanted to make this social aspect a reality, but in practice some hours in, it's starting to make sense.
Old 2019-11-09, 20:58   Link #67
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Is it just me... or is this game is actually a very distorted form of Journey? (story aside)
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2019-11-12, 09:33   Link #68
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.siliconera.com/2019/11/1...-and-kindness/

Article on the aspects of how the player can "get help" from other DS players.

Old 2019-11-12, 17:31   Link #69
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I like this approach to multiplayer, but it's not as groundbreaking as Kojima made it sound. It's roughly a cop-op game when you get down to it.
Old 2019-11-13, 05:27   Link #70
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Could be online co-op, but not in the traditional sense. It uses social media aspects like "Likes" and "Dislikes".

----

Spoiler for Don't read.:

Old 2019-11-19, 09:00   Link #71
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

https://www.siliconera.com/funny-dea...htfully-goofy/

Some goofy moments that you can do in DS.

Old 2019-11-28, 18:01   Link #72
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

So how's the game? I'd like to know if the story in particular is good.
Old 2019-11-28, 19:01   Link #73
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

I haven't played the game yet, but from the impressions I see I think it's the usual "Kojima non-sense", that is, it probably doesn't really make sense the first time, but as it ages the clearer it gets, something like that? I remember thinking MGS 2's story made no sense for the longest time until suddenly it became our current reality. Luckily MGS had a solid gameplay so I could replay them dozens of time even if I don't understand the story.

As for Death Stranding, way I see it, if the gameplay you see from various footage and let's play doesn't seem up your alley, then the story probably won't help you. My friend actually held up on finishing the story and spent 50+ hours just doing Fed-Ex simulator and constructing highways connecting the various places.
Old 2019-11-28, 19:14   Link #74
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

MGS has always made sense to me, but the last three entries (4, Peace Walker, and Phantom Pain) had rather bad stories, each being worse than the last. On the other hand, I loved the stories of the first three. That's why I don't really know what to expect from this.

As for the gameplay, I think I'll be fine with it.
Old 2019-12-11, 00:24   Link #75
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/NEOBK-2436748

The first DS novel is out in Japan. Basically, an adaptation to the game.

Second novel volume should be out by now...

Old 2019-12-28, 15:48   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Finished the game. My faith in Kojima as a writer is completely renewed. The story was damn near perfect. The setting was fascinating, the characters were all compelling, and the twists were brilliant and all properly foreshadowed (maybe too much for some? I guessed one of the major end game's twist at the beginning of chapter two). The trailers were super weird because we lacked context, but once you have it everything makes sense.
The directing was also stellar, but I never doubted his skills there. Big props to the actors, who delivered stunning performances, Mads Mikkelsen in particular.

As for the gameplay, I think it works well if you stick mainly to the main orders as I did. There are always new elements introduced to keep it from getting too stale. I imagine I would have probably gotten bored with the game if I had spent hours doing standard orders, which are more or less all the same from what I can tell. It still felt repetitive at some points, but I can't say I was truly bored or annoyed.

I'd say my major complaint would be what Kojima sold as a major aspect of the game: the online. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it's really unbalanced. As soon as you connect a zone to the network, pretty much everything you need pops up, meaning no challenge and that you can't contribute much. As a result, I spent more than half of the game offline. This way I actually had to prepare for my expeditions. The game also felt more immersive this way to me. Sam is supposed to be alone, after all.
I still "cheated" and connected for a certain chapter though (the game pretty much tells you to do it), which would have probably been a real bitch otherwise.
So yeah, mixed bag for me there.
Old 2020-01-26, 18:09   Link #77
Golden Lily

So I'm at the beginning of 3rd chapter and the only complaint I have so far is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
the online. I'm not sure how it works exactly, but it's really unbalanced. As soon as you connect a zone to the network, pretty much everything you need pops up, meaning no challenge and that you can't contribute much.
pretty much.

In fact, for the last few missions I took only stuff I have to deliver + shoes and "grenades". You don't even have to take ladders and such with you because other players already did all the work.

I think good option would be to choose if you want connection to Chiral network (I mean, you can go offline, but it's bothersome).

Also, I think actors do excellent job, but dialogues themselves can be a bit weird and very exposition heavy. I prefer more subtle storytelling. But I would lie if I said the world isn't interesting.
Golden Lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-01-30, 18:09   Link #78
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Lily View Post
Also, I think actors do excellent job, but dialogues themselves can be a bit weird and very exposition heavy. I prefer more subtle storytelling. But I would lie if I said the world isn't interesting.
That's pretty much Kojima's trademark. Just wait until the end of the game where you have to sit through more than 90 minutes of cut-scenes (I didn't actually count, but it sure felt long to me). It is a really great ending though.
Old 2021-08-26, 02:39   Link #79
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Director's cut preview:

Old 2021-08-26, 07:35   Link #80
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The new additions are going to make the game even easier than it already was. It does look fun to play though.