AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Ore no Imouto

Notices

View Poll Results: Ore no Imouto - Episode 10 Rating
Perfect 10 31 34.44%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 25 27.78%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 14 15.56%
7 out of 10 : Good 11 12.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 5 5.56%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 1.11%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 1.11%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 2 2.22%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-06, 20:34   Link #101
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
There's a lengthy reply to that under the spoiler section below. And yes, it is a bit off-topic, so people not interested in that tangent can skip over that spoiler space, and read my reply to what you had to say on Ore no Imouto itself.

Spoiler for reply:

That was my take, too. I felt that Ore no Imouto would have a level of serious drama more or less on par with The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. In other words, the comedic anime hijinks are there, but there's actually a good in-canon reason behind it all beyond simply wanting to make the audience laugh.

With Ore no Imouto, I'm starting to get the sense that there's really no point to the slapstick comedy except being slapstick comedy. In other words, I don't know if it's supposed to say anything about the characters involved any more.
I think it may be a bit too off topic, not to mention it's just us discussing it, so I'll just do it by PM.

As for the episode / Ore Imo itself...well, I've already stated my points, and like relentless said the debate pretty much repeats itself anyway, so I got nothing more to say about that for the time being.
Old 2010-12-06, 20:56   Link #102
Himeji
Twintails are wintails!

It seems that Ayase's love for Kirino is getting the better of her, so she now reluctantly accepts her hobby and wants tips for a present for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknemo2000 View Post
She is not. Until she takes a knife or something similar and starts going around attempting to kill others, she will not be a true yandere.

Here is yandere definition

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Yandere

So far she doesnt show all that stalkerish tendencies and isnt obsessed to the point of trying to kills someone so yeah
It might well be that she just hasn't revealed her full real yandere personality just yet and is still trying to hide it behind her sweet exterior as much as still possible.
That Killer Instinct Kick was already going very much in the yandere direction. I wonder how Kyousuke could survive that without spitting out his teeth like popcorn or other grave injuries

It's just good for Kyousuke that she doesn't think of Kyousuke as competition for Kirino's love. Should that change, she probably could get very nasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertaker View Post
The anime version of Dark Witch (that was shown) is is much less risqué than novel though, here is the illustration in the novel:

Spoiler for V4 illustration:
Now that would've been even more interesting than the anime version

As I see it, Ayase's problem is not that she wouldn't wear skimpy clothes and make exciting poses wearing it, she does that for her gravure shots.
The difference is, with gravure shots, she's only seen by the photographer like that while she poses. With the contest though, she would be posing in front of a vast audience, and that seems to be too embarassing for her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
The manga cover for Vol. 3 (Special edition) gives a even clearer picture
Spoiler for Manga V3 cover:
I really would love to see Ayase like that in the anime

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
Nothing too relevant this episode but I can't deny how much fun it was KanaKana was on moe overload and I enjoyed it. Not much screen time for Kirino this episode although I loved her reaction to Kyousuke's "what are you, my girlfriend?"

Spoiler for Kirino's Reaction :):
Looks like Kyousuke hit the nail on the head there, and she really does want to be in a girlfriend-like position

About Kanako, I think she's just as avid a fan of Meruru as Kirino is, that's why she could do the Meruru song that well. No one would be that naive to fall for that stupid "Karaoke" excuse
She's just afraid to admit to others that she's a fan (just like Kirino never told anyone until Kyousuke found out), so she pretends to not like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntron View Post
Which fansub group does Stardust Witch Meruru?
None, because it's made up just for Oreimo and doesn't actually exist.
Old 2010-12-06, 21:15   Link #103
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Himeji View Post
It might well be that she just hasn't revealed her full real yandere personality just yet and is still trying to hide it behind her sweet exterior as much as still possible.
That Killer Instinct Kick was already going very much in the yandere direction. I wonder how Kyousuke could survive that without spitting out his teeth like popcorn or other grave injuries

It's just good for Kyousuke that she doesn't think of Kyousuke as competition for Kirino's love. Should that change, she probably could get very nasty
Well... Kyousuke seems to be tipping Ayase off that he knows Kirino more then her, and that could tick something in Ayase's brain about not being the only one anymore to know Kirino more then anyone (when she said that line in an earlier episode) Kyousuke also bravely confessed his love at that time, so Ayase defiantly knows Kyousuke is a competition..

Now that would've been even more interesting than the anime version

Quote:
As I see it, Ayase's problem is not that she wouldn't wear skimpy clothes and make exciting poses wearing it, she does that for her gravure shots.
The difference is, with gravure shots, she's only seen by the photographer like that while she poses. With the contest though, she would be posing in front of a vast audience, and that seems to be too embarassing for her.
Yeah, she takes her job seriously, and she doesn't have to do something very embarrassing, especially on a subject she doesn't even enjoy.

Quote:
I really would love to see Ayase like that in the anime
Defiantly have the same idea here

Quote:
Looks like Kyousuke hit the nail on the head there, and she really does want to be in a girlfriend-like position
Talking about when Kirino smacked him? Kirino is just showing her casual Tsundere side and not truly understanding her feelings still, especially after playing all sorts of eroge games that involve little sisters, she could probably be wanting to develop a brotherly love towards her. But her actions say otherwise.

Quote:
About Kanako, I think she's just as avid a fan of Meruru as Kirino is, that's why she could do the Meruru song that well. No one would be that naive to fall for that stupid "Karaoke" excuse
She's just afraid to admit to others that she's a fan (just like Kirino never told anyone until Kyousuke found out), so she pretends to not like it.
That could be true, there is absolutely no way you can get into a song and stick the entire thing in your head just by listening to it once. Especially concerning a subject you don't enjoy...
Old 2010-12-06, 21:23   Link #104
Arkard

Oh the irony in Ayase initially judging Kirino based on a newspaper story about otaku, and now causing an otaku related story by forgetting to give Kanako her clothes back >_<
Old 2010-12-06, 21:51   Link #105
Qikz

That was an awesome episode. Kanakana-chan is actually far more cute than I thought she would be from the last episode she was in.
Old 2010-12-06, 21:56   Link #106
-Sho-
~Omedetô~

Well , this episode was more about Kanaka-chan development. She's kinda amazing to act like an idol :O and sometimes Kyousuke went out with Kuroneko and Saori.
Old 2010-12-06, 21:57   Link #107
HayashiTakara
Chicken or Beef?

Any one else notices that as long as Kyousuke doesn't say or act anything "perverted" in her sense of perversion, Ayase is actually quite accommodating?
Old 2010-12-06, 22:00   Link #108
Clarste
Human

Yeah, I was wondering about that. Last time we saw her she had pretty much declared her undying hatred of him and while she's clearly making a compromise by doing this whole otaku gift thing in the first place she seems oddly comfortable around him.
Old 2010-12-06, 22:45   Link #109
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that. Last time we saw her she had pretty much declared her undying hatred of him and while she's clearly making a compromise by doing this whole otaku gift thing in the first place she seems oddly comfortable around him.
I found that strange also.. Maybe Ayase just cooled off, and decided to use Kyousuke as a tool from now on to continue her relationship with Kirino, even if she hates him from the bottom of her guts about what he declared, as long as he does nothing indecent to Kirino, she probably feels its ok to be around him, and not expect anything indecent to happen.
Old 2010-12-07, 00:24   Link #110
DasDingus
Dango Daikaizoku

If this episode taught me anything it's that Kyouske being the magnet for abuse is getting tired. He fills that role almost literally as that wand seemed to defy the laws of physics to hit him. I was under the impression the butt monkey is supposed to be a side character and while you can argue the show is about Kirino, it's told from Kyouske's point of view and seeing him get beat up at every turn is frustrating.

At this point I'm really not sure what to make of this show. Now we're introduced to another of Kinrino's modeling friends who is also a rather unpleasant girl. If this show was supposed to be about how being put on the pedestal of modeling at young age has negative effects on girls' ability to interact with other people then it's doing a great job but somehow I doubt that's the case

Instead I see a show that isn't sure whether it wants us to take it seriously because it's not sure if it wants to take itself seriously. For a character-driven show the characters don't seem to be doing much. Instead we're in kind of a holding pattern and we're left with nothing but slapstick and tsuntsun. The show continues to be entertaining and I am enjoying watching it to an extent, but that is in spite of the characters and plot rather than because of them. It's entertaining but it's not good I guess is what I'm trying to say; which is odd because isn't the goal of these shows to entertain? But there we are. Hopefully this show can get back on the tracks soon (if it ever was on the "tracks" in the first place)
Old 2010-12-07, 00:52   Link #111
potchip

Well, welcome to the world of light novels, slice of life light novels in particular. Popularity is on entertaining value since there really isn't not too much 'drama' you can put into a slice of life novel because there are no monsters or mechs or evil forces or supernatural powers or magical transforming abilities. So Kyousuke getting beating up is part of the entertainment (though better managed because Kyousuke has a voice in the light novels, in anime he can only communicat verbally). Light novels are 'light' on weight and in other areas, too - afterall they are sort of pick-up read on the spot medium much like manga.

It occured to me, the plot of Kirino's 2nd phone novel, the one that she was 'researching' for in ep7 is an exaggerated case of 'dramatic' slice of life novel. If you consider the traffic accidents or adultry or terminal illness essential for character development and plot, then I suppose it has all these elements. And no wonder it was rather popular with school girls! (in the 2d Oreimo world of course..)

I pose this question, what exactly constitute character development in the context oreimo? Kirino to grow nice? To hug her brother? To declare to the world that she's an otaku and take on the fall-out? I dunno but then perhaps the ending credits will just roll.

Instead we get in this episode...

Kirino being a control freak - questioning Kyousuke social activities
Kirino reacts voilently to Kyousuke's girlfriend comment
Other girls intentionally trying to hide their interaction with Kyousuke (perhaps more due to the fact that they helped Kirino behind her backs and she doesn't even know yet?)

Yeah she's a bitch. Still like it though!
Old 2010-12-07, 01:13   Link #112
SilverSyko
Okuyasu the Bird

I'm personally thinking that "fall" that Kuroneko foreshadowed back in episode 8 whatever it will be is what's going to causes a major change in Kirino's attitude towards her brother, and it's not gonna be something Kyousuke can do about.

I do see a desire from her to re-connect with him at times, and this event needs to be severe enough to fully bring that feeling out and remove that mask of sibling annoyance she often has towards him.

To be frank, I think something bad happening to Kyousuke would be an excellent way to make Kirino finally show her appreciation for all he's done by helping him out in return.

Then again there are only 2 episodes left in this series, and unless we get a second season, the climax is gonna have to hit hard and fast soon or it's gonna go absolutely nowhere. It'll just be a fluff series.
Old 2010-12-07, 01:21   Link #113
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
I think they should make a figurine of that one (except limited to 5000 XD)

Headlines: Nanoha Takamachi arrested due to befriending the crowd. Police has charged her with 'public disturbance'.

Bridget: Meruru turned into an evil witch! (from Stardust Witch Meruru to Dark Nanoha)
Vita: You demon.

lol to Ayase's reaction... Dark Witch-

Ayase: HENTAI!
Old 2010-12-07, 02:41   Link #114
rocket
Senior and Demented

Oh my goodness I love Kirino. After an amazing start to this series I really despaired there for a while and couldn't even muster up the energy to stand up to the haters, but the last three episodes have been so fabulous, ending with this one, that I just had to rate a perfect 10!

Okay so there was very little screen time for our delightful little tsundere, and only a scant fraction of it where she was flaunting her tsun-tsun power, but... BUT...

The perfect scene at the beginning where her brother's thoughtless girl-friend comment hits too close to the mark - spot on - it made up for the Kirino lightness of the ep! Her reaction... that un-guarded blush, before the lovely angry-blush as she just can't express/admit herself... perfect! Pure love!

Kirino is a true tsundere-phile's tsundere! I thought Taiga would be impossible to beat, but a new challenger has appeared! Yes, I am well pleased...

Plus Merumeru theme song now makes me actually tolerate... possibly even like... Meru. (*6_6*)

Okay fine, I was hooked! Meeeru meru meru meru, meru meru me!!!

Oh and just because I can't really resist the trolls...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
1. Use the time of a total stranger in such a way that he or she will not feel the time was wasted.
Don't know the author. Love it. Check. Also judging from the image thread I'm not alone over on the floating world...

Quote:
2. Give the reader at least one character he or she can root for.
Me - I'm rooting for Kirino to find a way to deal with her inner deamons and have the relationship she wants with her brother.

'Course some folks can't stand her, so they can root for onii-chan. To change her, or find some other more deserving woman in his life.

And for those who find his endurance some how unbecoming we have Kuroneko. Stoic goth loli perfect girl.

A little something for everyone!

Quote:
3. Every character should want something, even if it is only a glass of water.
Kirnio wants her brother. How exactly remains to be seen.

Bro... ditto.

Kuroneko wants a bro. Ayase, her idol. Girl next door, you know... so far every character clearly has goals and aspirations not yet met - from frustrated anime screen writers to fathers disappointed in their sons - except for our resident otaku-jo-sama, but we started to get hints for her next ep.

Quote:
4.Every sentence must do one of two things—reveal character or advance the action.
Let's take that to read as "scene" and let's just focus on this last "filler" ep. So where are the empty calories?

First scene establishes the premise for the episode, and reveals that Ayase is committed (infatuated?) enough to start learning about anime. No foul.

Then we have the essential "girl-friend" slip up scene. Kirino is more aware/unaware than ever. Bro remains clueless. Oh, and the plot advances, no easy ideas for a gift.

The friends conspire. Seeds of jealousy are sown, but more importantly we start the shipping trip.

Shopping trip to hunt for gift ideas. Kuroneko actually cares about getting Kirino a good gift that has "real value" and now the real challenge appears.

Onii-chan and Ayase. Lotsa yuks but this is one of the weakest scenes. Basically Ayase says no. Onii-chan still loves his sister, she's still looking for a way to show love to Kirino but won't degrade herself. Guess we could count some interest on his part in seeing Ayase in that garb as tiny bit of character? Hmmm... how about lack of character?

The scenes leading up to the concert/pagent are mostly plot driving, but we do get a first glimpse of how scary manipulative Ayase can be And of course we introduce a new girl, with the important character reveal that she's really anti-cute.

Kirino at the show, this is all character. Like her joy at the home showing of Meru we are meant to witness her being honestly and innocently happy. The very opposite of the face she shows her brother. In this case in a public setting. What feels wrong to me me in this scene is that she's not interacting more with the rest of the fans, but I'll take it as implicit from her costume.

Ok the show. Obviously mostly plot. Did we need a whole musical number for plot? Nope, but it was awesome. More importantly it was so awesome and so well done it really made me wonder if we didn't have a second closet Meru fan about to show up.

Then we wrap up the story with the dressing room scene. The plot point of picking up the figure from the trash is downplayed in favor of character revelation: what motivates an idol.

With the plot done there's no time to waste on empty action so the gift giving is all implicit and off screen, we just have time enough to close a small plot loose end with a nice gag.

So, all in all while not the tightest potting I've ever seen, not sloppy on the face of it at all.

Quote:
5. Start as close to the end as possible.
This series started at the very beginning of the change in the relationship. Not before the relationship soured. not during the long dry spell. But the very day things started to change. Can't pick a better spot myself.

Quote:
6. Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of.
Um, did someone say 15 seconds?

Seriously though, It'd Kirino who I see suffer episode after episode every time onii-chan isn't.

Quote:
7. Write to please just one person. If you open a window and make love to the world, so to speak, your story will get pneumonia.
Count me pleased. Plenty of others disgruntled. Check.

Quote:
8. Give your readers as much information as possible as soon as possible. To hell with suspense. Readers should have such complete understanding of what is going on, where and why, that they could finish the story themselves, should cockroaches eat the last few pages.
Well this rule is wrong, even though it's right. Suspense in the ancillary has a perfectly good (i.e. not cheap) role. What exactly drove the siblings apart I couldn't tell you...yet. Will they consummate a new relationship in a fashion that is taboo or merely heartwarming, I'm on pins and needles to know.

But as soon as the dream sequence of the perfect imouto ended and the abusive Kirino emerged in episode 1, well there was only one way that the story could end, and I'm the journey because I'm going to enjoy the scenery on the way there.

Last edited by rocket; 2010-12-07 at 02:54.
Old 2010-12-07, 03:20   Link #115
Nihokon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket
Then we have the essential "girl-friend" slip up scene. Kirino is more aware/unaware than ever. Bro remains clueless.
It is an unspoken rule for a male protagonist to be clueless about love affection. Therefore, Kyousuke, being a male protagonist, ignores this slap scene as Kirino's usual unpleasant attitude.
Old 2010-12-07, 03:35   Link #116
Sumeragi
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narukahana View Post
It is an unspoken rule for a male protagonist to be clueless about love affection. Therefore, Kyousuke, being a male protagonist, ignores this slap scene as Kirino's usual unpleasant attitude.
It's actually what happens a lot. Many are clueless when others like them and starts moving.

I'm getting tired of all the yandere argument. For all I care she's not full-blossomed yet, so just wait it out before we get out the guns.
Old 2010-12-07, 03:48   Link #117
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Too bad she's not voiced by Mizuki Nana...
Yea, that would have been really cool

Quote:
Kuroneko >>>> Kirino (story-wise and personal preference-wise).
I can agree with that, though in a fight Kirino packs a mighty punch.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-12-07, 04:39   Link #118
Mentar
Banned

Let me make a quick list which developments were obviously not seen:

1) Ayase is now actively trying to accept at least a part of Kirino's otaku world

2) Ayase is willing to ask Kyousuke (who she totally despised before) for help to accomplish that

3) Kyousuke was obviously expecting/hoping for a confession from Ayase in the beginning

4) We know now that Ayase's "Gravure" modeling does not include risqué shots due to her extremely violent reaction *lol*

5) Kirino's mad reaction to Kyousuke's "girlfriend" line indicates some serious brocon

6) Ayase is both capable of pulling off some amazing logistics (preparation of excellent costume, big car with driver to change etc) on very short notice

7) Ayase is pretty devious, to trick Kanakana like that, and to just forget her at the end

8) Introduction of Kanakana's character

9) LOTS of smart observations (age of fanbase, reactions of idols during performances etc)

10) Weakness and Otakudom of Kuroneko demonstrated, but her idea was spot-on

11) Kirino is getting increasingly jealous about Kyousuke's dealings with Kuroneko and Saori

Seriously, what do you guys WANT? This episode had everything and more.

Solid 8/10

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-12-08 at 12:35. Reason: inflammatory tidbits removed.
Old 2010-12-07, 05:22   Link #119
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Aye, there's been a huge mass of development and story progression .... so it goes.
Old 2010-12-07, 05:26   Link #120
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

All the progression that the last two episodes (or at least mostly in Ep9 IMO) would be nice if they actually manage to wrap it up in two more episodes. Would still be better if it got a second season.
Closed Thread