AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 23
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 26 23.85%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 21 19.27%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 24 22.02%
7 out of 10 : Good... 18 16.51%
6 out of 10 : Average... 11 10.09%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.92%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 3 2.75%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 2 1.83%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 3 2.75%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-12-08, 20:19   Link #61
GDB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Casey View Post
Poor Recon... Suguha will just use him as a rebound for Kirito, she'll hit it and quit it.
Nothing wrong with that. Not like you only get one person to go out with in your life.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 20:48   Link #62
Mentar
Banned

8 from me, particularly for the great musical score this ep.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 20:59   Link #63
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Nothing wrong with that. Not like you only get one person to go out with in your life. :p
So it's okay to string along someone in love with you to take your mind off someone else? :o

Ma... Makoto Itou? Is that... you?

(I'm just kidding though, Suguha is a good girl. Japan will be safe from girls that evil for a couple of decades, coughChiyucough).
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 21:05   Link #64
Insane
Banned

At best it's just a mediocre episode for me. The drama felt very forced, the action scene not epic at all as Kirito seemingly didn't pull his full capacity, and Recon looked so lame that he shouldn't appear at all in the first place. The only good part was "takaku takaku" thing on the last couple of minutes.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 21:20   Link #65
GDB

Quote:
So it's okay to string along someone in love with you to take your mind off someone else?
Well, if she hits it and quits it, she's not really stringing him along, is she?

At the very least, he gets to tap her before he gets his heart broken this way!
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 21:21   Link #66
Proto
Knowledge is the solution

An innocent episode with an innocent story line and storyboard. You have to love it just as you love a kitty doing clumsy things. 8/10 from me.
Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 21:51   Link #67
Xaturas

Frankly it was so so episode.
But maybe its just me having a more critic eye after ending marathoning breaking bad 5 seasons for few days just before watching this ep.
Old 2012-12-08, 21:54   Link #68
Witch of Uncertainty

Didn't particulary enjoy it. The fighting scene was boring (good music, though), and she recovered way too quickly, and I'm having a hard time to take it seriously. Like when .. that green hair guyed commited suicide. She cried, and was so moved over that? I .. just can not relate to that in any way.
Witch of Uncertainty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 22:03   Link #69
Tsukou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Znail View Post
Recon's flaws are pretty much the same in game and IRL. He is socially inept and doesn't understand girls at all. He pretty much totally missunderstands his own position with Suguha. He likes her, wants her and is trying to break the friendzone. But friendzoned is actually a bit charitable as Suguha seems to see him more like an acquaintance at best and possible even only as a fellow school mate that did her a favor once.

Thus we have Recon trying to kiss Leefa, using Suguha's first name etc in his attempts to bed her. While she is keeping this wierd creep at arms lenght as she hardly knows him. His false assumptions makes him fail to even get into the friendzone.
I wrote something similar in the past, and I'm glad other people share my opinion on this because I thought I might be alone. I don't understand who could root for him, or feel sorry that Suguha doesn't reciprocate his feelings. He just keeps pushing his own feelings onto her, and because she's a nice girl she doesn't want to be mean, but at the same time, really, he goes in for a kiss, at that timing. I mean, I know guys like him, and I understand social awkwardness, but, there are limits. From every interaction we've seen so far between them, I can't see even the slightest indication of an action representing Suguha reciprocating his feelings. I mean, I know there are guys out there who think a girl likes them just because they talk to them, but, like I said, limits.

I honestly could do without ever seeing or hearing him again (his voice gets on my nerves). And his death charge, I must rate that, as one of the most un-legendary things I've ever seen, it ranks way down in terms of heroic sacrifices. Facepalm worthy for me.

Oh well, as others have pointed out, it definitely felt like the climax of the story between Kirito and Suguha who have their moment swirling in the skies, which I thought was beautifully done, especially enjoyed the bgm.
Tsukou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 23:14   Link #70
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I liked this episode a lot. They made a few things feel overly dramatic (mostly some of Leafa's lines) and they could have made the direction of the fight scene better, but overall it was really good. Leafa and Kirito's hug was quite touching, even if the going round and round in the air was silly.

So, this is how good the Fairy Dance arc can be when it's not all about Kirito mysteriously being the only one allowed to do anything. I'll have to give it a good rating. It was so refreshing to have Leafa in combat, too.

It's nice that Leafa was able to gain inspiration from Recon, but man, Recon is such a creep. Thinking that all he had to do was confess and Leafa would be all his, trying to kiss her and having to be punched away, noisily saying he and Leafa were always together, grabbing the hand she tried to hold out to Kirito...Here's hoping that he and Leafa never get together.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-08, 23:33   Link #71
Bahamut
...lost in nothingness...

...was expecting a more epic battle...but a lot of large scale battles I've seen are usually a let down because i guess it would be too hard and costly to animate so much stuff happening at once...

...love kajiura's music but felt like they mis-used some...like the first one used when the battle started...its more suited when fighting one big epic boss like when they used it for Gleam Eyes and Skull Reaper...not facing endless waves of random encounters...

...oh and Recon...that was kinda of a wasted kamikaze attack...should have saved it for maybe another fight after the endless waves...
...to think if they only held on for another minute the alliance would have joined...
...but at desparate times does mean desparate measure...so its understandable to a degree...

...however Recon's desparate confession/advances is not so understandable...
Bahamut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 00:09   Link #72
Krono

Quote:
And this episode hints that Suguha and Recon are more or less just acquaintances? Huh... I thought they were fairly close friends.
It's kinda complicated.

Spoiler for Details the anime skipped over.:

Anyways, out of curiosity, am I the only one that thinks that all else being the same, if Kirito wasn't in the picture, and Recon was the main character (for example, for events in ALO before Kirito logged into it), people would be labeling Suguha as tsundere for Recon?
Krono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 00:10   Link #73
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

Am I the only one who likes how Kirito and Sugu settle their awkward relationship, at least for now? I think the episode does a decent job getting Kirito's point of view across. Sugu might have recovered faster than I thought. But really, with a human in coma at stake, she pretty much has to force herself through to help and she definitely has the will to do that.

Ah yeah, the fairy dance scene. I liked that too.

The fighting is meh. I guess they used up the animation budgets over last couple episodes. And it makes sense not to burn money in the fight scenes because they were fighting the exact same giant mob of enemies as last week.
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 00:13   Link #74
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krono View Post
....if Kirito wasn't in the picture, and Recon was the main character (for example, for events in ALO before Kirito logged into it), people would be labeling Suguha as tsundere for Recon?
If Recon's hair was bad-assed or at least not far from Kirito's, I might mistaken him for another major character in the series.... too bad that some saw him as a nuisance character chasing Suguha...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 00:33   Link #75
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukou View Post
I wrote something similar in the past, and I'm glad other people share my opinion on this because I thought I might be alone. I don't understand who could root for him, or feel sorry that Suguha doesn't reciprocate his feelings. He just keeps pushing his own feelings onto her, and because she's a nice girl she doesn't want to be mean, but at the same time, really, he goes in for a kiss, at that timing. I mean, I know guys like him, and I understand social awkwardness, but, there are limits. From every interaction we've seen so far between them, I can't see even the slightest indication of an action representing Suguha reciprocating his feelings. I mean, I know there are guys out there who think a girl likes them just because they talk to them, but, like I said, limits.

I honestly could do without ever seeing or hearing him again (his voice gets on my nerves). And his death charge, I must rate that, as one of the most un-legendary things I've ever seen, it ranks way down in terms of heroic sacrifices. Facepalm worthy for me.

Oh well, as others have pointed out, it definitely felt like the climax of the story between Kirito and Suguha who have their moment swirling in the skies, which I thought was beautifully done, especially enjoyed the bgm.
I think that's exactly the point of Recon's character, but you're missing the other half, which is that Suguha realizes that she's also acting like Recon. She is Recon, and by extension Kirito is her. By experiencing Recon's annoyingness, she realizes that she's doing the the exact same thing to Kirito: pushing her unrequited feelings onto him, and making him uncomfortable/depressed when he just wants to be nice. It made her look at things from the other perspective and realize that while getting your heart broken isn't any fun, neither is being forced to break someone's heart. This increased empathy for Kirito's situation is what lets her start the reconcilliation.

So yes, Recon is an annoying twit, but that's kind of the point. So's Suguha, in her own way, but you have to realize that before you can improve. I guess the positive side of all this is that the whole analogy falls apart if Suguha decides to "settle" for Recon, since the whole point is that both of their loves are unrequited.
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 00:38   Link #76
Dr. Casey

And then Kirito laughs at them for their misfortune. "Haha, you losers. The love I had for Asuna was requited from day one, I've never even set foot into the Friend Zone. Owned."
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 00:45   Link #77
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokukirin View Post
Am I the only one who likes how Kirito and Sugu settle their awkward relationship, at least for now? I think the episode does a decent job getting Kirito's point of view across. Sugu might have recovered faster than I thought. But really, with a human in coma at stake, she pretty much has to force herself through to help and she definitely has the will to do that.

Ah yeah, the fairy dance scene. I liked that too.
Yeah, as I said before, I totally agree with you. I thought it was a fitting way of apologizing to each other and showing that they want to start fresh, and a pretty good resolution to the major character-driven plot of this arc on the whole.

It seems to me that most of the complaints about this episode seem centred around the way the battle was animated. I understand why people felt that way, but I guess it didn't really bother me as much as it did some. I guess that's partly because I thought the point of the battle was more symbolic than strategic here. The only thing I guess I would have liked to see more of was Kirito and Leefa fighting together, because that had a lot of symbolic value to tie into the earlier scene, but I did like what we got.
Old 2012-12-09, 01:34   Link #78
Divini
Senpai!

That 'Giga Drill Starburst Stream Breaker' at the end. Ahahahaha. Didn't know simply catching your sister's katana granted you that kind of ability!

I think if the setting took place in 'reality', I could've bought into it, surprisingly. In that case I could write it off as a 'shounen-style fighting spirit power-up' ability... But since this takes place in a VR game with set rules and stats, not to mention that sword skills (much less dual wield skills!) doesn't exist in ALO, I think this is an instance where A-1 took their "artistic liberty" waaaaay too far.

They did make him pull the same 'glowing golden eye power-up' effect on Heathcliff, so at least they're consistent, I suppose...
Divini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 02:02   Link #79
Nvis
Where are the good animes

More Leafa & Sakuya = 10/10 for me.

I wanted Sakuya to try fighting though, she almost drew out that badass japanese-style sword.
Nvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-09, 02:06   Link #80
Insane
Banned

But man, the obtacles in that torturous dome is way damn too fucking insane. Not only endless troops swarming around you from all direction, but you cannot go even further even if you somehow managed to get rid of them because of that mindless freaking locked gate that prevent any surviving players from go through it. Hahaha, that means from the start sugou and his men are bunch of despicable, short-minded beings playing around with the players by giving them false hope in the form of "ultimate wings"? somehow merely thinking about them makes my blood boils so much.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote