AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Haruhi Suzumiya

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-10-23, 20:17   Link #861
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
I would like to point that the last few months were not totaly covered up. It is possible to Tanigawa going back a few months in story to cover some random short-storys. So, being 9 books for one year.

It depend how important the so called "slider-tan" is to the sotry, tough.
Old 2009-10-23, 20:19   Link #862
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post

After discussing the Haruhi novels at length with somebody who has read them all, and going over timelines and what have you... I could honestly see as many as 18 novels. I very much doubt that number 10 is the last.

There's no particular reason to make Number 10 the last, and in fact, making it the last would mean either an awful rush job or leaving a lot of hanging plot threads.... or going with a deus ex machina ending so contrived that it would likely create an otaku hate-fest that would put E8 to shame...

My current guess would be 12 or 13 novels.
Before we get to 12 or 13, the big delay made Tanigawa bored or something (a big hiatus probably meant: "I don't want to continue this novel anymore" or something like that)... so I'm feeling kinda pessimistic that there are additional volumes aside from 10...)
Old 2009-10-23, 20:41   Link #863
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Send a message via MSN to AmyElizzabeth
When/Where/Who said there was only gonna be 10?
Old 2009-10-23, 20:47   Link #864
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyElizzabeth View Post
When/Where/Who said there was only gonna be 10?
NO ONE.

It's all fan speculation at this point. No official information has been released at this time.

And if it were the final novel, Kadokawa would be making a big deal out of it already.
Old 2009-10-23, 20:48   Link #865
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

I've always just assumed 'cause everyone keeps saying It's the final novel.
It might be, It's not a good point to end..at least let Miku graduate.
Old 2009-10-23, 20:50   Link #866
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
This effect and the lies spread by Lucky Star Brigade last year are why this misinformation is all over the goddamn net.

Just because someone tells you something does not mean that it's true. Google is your friend. Confirm information yourself rather than relying on others to do it for you.
Old 2009-10-23, 20:52   Link #867
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
It might be, It's not a good point to end..at least let Miku graduate.
Oh I assumed that since Tanigawa just put in news that he's starting with the 10th novel, it made me think that he was bored and fed up (so I thought it was the last).
Old 2009-10-23, 20:54   Link #868
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhl88 View Post
Oh I assumed that since Tanigawa just put in news that he's starting with the 10th novel, it made me think that he was bored and fed up (so I thought it was the last).
I'm sure he was getting bored, doing it for four years straight (while shoving rejected Haruhi ideas into his Gakkou wo Deyoh series). No wonder he wanted to move on to other projects.

I think the fact that he's working on it now is a sign that he's continuing, though.
Old 2009-10-23, 20:57   Link #869
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisos Erranon View Post
I'm sure he was getting bored, doing it for four years straight (while shoving rejected Haruhi ideas into his Gakkou wo Deyoh series). No wonder he wanted to move on to other projects.

I think the fact that he's working on it now is a sign that he's continuing, though.
Oh good, so everything will continue, woot! Haruhi will probably be analyzed in literary schools at this rate... "The Philosophy and Literature of Haruhi Suzumiya".
Old 2009-10-23, 21:10   Link #870
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Quote:
Google is your friend.
Google told me 10 books was it.
Quote:
[Confirm information yourself rather than relying on others to do it for you.
That sounded a bit jerky, there isn't really any way to confirm information for me..
Old 2009-10-23, 21:14   Link #871
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:

That sounded a bit jerky, there isn't really any way to confirm information for me..
In fairness... I felt the same way you did. Somehow this rumor of Novel 10 being the final one started up, and it spread through the internet like wildfire. And it became like the internet equivalent of an urban myth, I guess.

So, to me, the moral is this - don't trust information that doesn't come from the horse's mouth. In this case, the horse's mouth is Kadokawa and Tanigawa. Unless you have a link to an official press release saying "This novel is the last" don't take word of mouth at face value.

No biggie, though - a lot of folks, including me, made the Novel 10 being final novel assumption mistake.
Old 2009-10-23, 21:17   Link #872
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

But, also, considering this big gap, he's probably lost intrest in it (that's what you get for taking so damn long >) but the fans will be happy, and hopefully It'll sell well
Old 2009-10-23, 21:23   Link #873
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
What site was that information on? Tell me so I can go yell at them.

Quote:
Look for press releases and articles that actually link to sources. They're all you really can trust.

Quote:
No biggie, though - a lot of folks, including me, made the Novel 10 being final novel assumption mistake.
And then I yell at them. Then they stop believing that. >_>

Quote:

But, also, considering this big gap, he's probably lost intrest in it (that's what you get for taking so damn long >) but the fans will be happy, and hopefully It'll sell well
I'd think the fact that he's started up again after so long would mean his interest has been renewed, wouldn't you?
Old 2009-10-23, 21:51   Link #874
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

So until there's news that it's the last, we can all assume that there would be more... even if they did list 10 novels only (but that # will increase).
Old 2009-10-23, 22:39   Link #875
AmyElizzabeth
Moo

Quote:
What site was that information on? Tell me so I can go yell at them
oh gosh, I don't remember!
Quote:
'd think the fact that he's started up again after so long would mean his interest has been renewed, wouldn't you?
Maybe he read some good fanfiction and got inspired
Old 2009-10-24, 01:52   Link #876
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Quote:
In fairness to Kyon, though, part of the problem is that the other three never say anything against Haruhi. So, I suspect that Kyon feels like he has the obligation to be the constant voice of moderation and counter-point to Haruhi.
I'm amazed no one has already remarked that he actually says exactly that as his reason for why he's the one always challenging Haruhi. Itsuki is a compulsive kiss-ass (and not just to Haruhi), Mikuru is (possibly genetically engineered to be) unable to confront Haruhi, and Yuki never says anything, so since someone has to keep a leash on her, it can only be him. To be honest, I don't remember where exactly he says this (I've re-read a lot of the later novels lately, so I don't remember exactly where it was), but I can guarantee you he does.

I want to say it was in the beginning of Disappearance, but don't get that chisel ready just yet.

Now this might be more common knowledge if someone would just hurry up and read the later books, already... (Yes, I know it stopped whinnying a long time ago, but I'm still gonna beat it...)

Quote:
Anyway, due to what is perhaps fair criticism of me for not having done so yet... I intend to read through the first eight novels at least. What I've heard of nine is not encouraging, but I might read it as well.
Well good. About time. If you want to hold off on 9 until 10 is out, I wouldn't blame you, but I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one who thinks that 9 and 10, taken as a whole (being a "single" story, such as they are), could potentially be the best of the Haruhi novels... Yes, even better than Disappearance. There is a lot of set up for awesomeness and (*gasp*) actual plot, you just have to pay attention.
Old 2009-10-24, 02:16   Link #877
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

I hope that the new member is actually someone else taken within the sphere of trust (basically Koizumi, Nagato, Mikuru will tell that member the secrets of Suzumiya, aside from Kyon). Hopefully the new member isn't some one associated with any group (Integrated Data Sentient Entity, time traveler [pity they didn't give a name for their group], the Organization, their counterparts [Sasaki's group], sponsor of all the above [like Tsuruya-san] or an independent [like the Student Council President]).
Old 2009-10-24, 08:36   Link #878
Triple_R
*Author

I read Charmed at First Sight LOVER this morning. I thought it might be good to share my initial impressions of this story with my fellow Haruhi fans here.

Spoiler space proceeding, mainly to save space...

Spoiler for Charmed at First Sight LOVER thoughts:

Well... sorry for the long, rambling review. Any comments on it are welcomed... although I'd like to avoid shipping arguments if possible. I don't think that this story, despite its name, contains much in it leaning one way or another.

One final note - I think that this story probably should get two episodes if it's ever adapted into anime. You could squeeze it all into one episode, but it would come at the expense of a lot of good Kyon narration, I think. Better to spread it out over two episodes, I think.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-10-24 at 08:53.
Old 2009-10-24, 09:21   Link #879
Heatth

Send a message via MSN to Heatth
Nice review, it touch some interesting points.

A few comments:

Quote:
1) First and foremost, I really liked Kyon in this story. This was Kyon at his best, in my opinion. Making clever, witty observations over actually absurd actions, situations, and statements, but also going above and beyond for his friends and those who call upon him for help.

He handled the situation sprung on him by Nakagawa quite nicely. Nakagawa's actions, requests, and statements were bizarre, and it would be hard to fault Kyon for simply hanging up on the guy and forgetting all about it. But... Kyon really was a nice guy here, and did all that could be reasonably expected of him.

Furthermore, Kyon's deductions made near the end of the story as it pertains to Nakagawa's "accident" showed real competency and intelligence on Kyon's part as well. Good to see that. So, hats off to Kyon in general.
This story is one of my main points for my "why Kyon does pay (a lot) attention on Nagato" point.

Quote:
2) Tanigawa is clearly a big sports enthusiast. This is another Haruhi story that, to a great degree, surrounds an athletic competition. As a big hockey fan, I can only hope that Tanigawa also likes hockey....
I am sorry for saying that, but unlike Basaball and American Football, I never sen any hockey reference in anime. Also, it is specially hard to play it in a High School isn't it?

Quote:
Secondly, Haruhi seemed inconsistent here at times. Her actions are rather odd for somebody who considers love to be some sort of disease... Really don't know why Tanigawa decided to have Haruhi utter that "love is a disease" line. It doesn't fit her characterization at all, imo.
Well, this isn't actually explained, but the 9th Novel touch that point again, kinda.

Anyway, didn't her actually explained it?:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzumiya Hruhi
"Kyon, though I personally think love is a kind of disease, I'm not the sort to get in the way of people's pursuit of romance just for the fun of it. After all, everyone's view of happiness is their own,"

"Though I may think a person is extremely unlucky, as long as that person thinks she is happy, then she must be happy,"
Quote:
One final note - I think that this story probably should get two episodes if it's ever adapted into anime. You could squeeze it all into one episode, but it would come at the expense of a lot of good Kyon narration, I think. Better to spread it out over two episodes, I think.
The main problem would be where to break the episode don't you think? I mean all Haruhi shrot storys were just one episode so far. The exeption, Lone Island, had a very good point to break. And Kyon narration is always the first thing to be drope, I don't remember this time it being more important then usuall.
Old 2009-10-24, 09:36   Link #880
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heatth View Post
Nice review, it touch some interesting points.
Thanks.

Quote:
This story is one of my main points for my "why Kyon does pay (a lot) attention on Nagato" point.
In fairness to you, he's pretty attentive towards Nagato in this story.

Quote:
I am sorry for saying that, but unlike Basaball and American Football, I never sen any hockey reference in anime. Also, it is specially hard to play it in a High School isn't it?
Maybe. Anyway, I was joking about the hockey idea. To the best of my knowledge, hockey is biggest in Canada, Russia, and Europe. I don't recall it coming up much, if at all, in anime.

Quote:
Well, this isn't actually explained, but the 9th Novel touch that point again, kinda.

Anyway, didn't her actually explained it?
If Haruhi truly thinks that love is some sort of disease, she wouldn't want one of her Brigade members "catching" it. One thing that this novel shows is just how protective Haruhi is of Nagato.

I think that she was telling Kyon her honest opinion when she said that she thought that the love letter he read out to Nagato was some sort of Kyon/Taniguchi prank on Nagato.

Anyway, "love is a disease" just strikes me as a very odd thing for Haruhi to say. She plays on feelings of love and romance all the time, with the fetish wear. Heck, she even teased Kyon over his feelings for Mikuru just before saying that love is a disease.... I guess she wants Kyon to get sick.

Quote:
The main problem would be where to break the episode don't you think?
After Nagakawa's second phone call to Kyon. Kyon getting anxious over the upcoming football game could make for a somewhat good episode cliffhanger moment.

The football game alone could easily be spread out to take up a half or more of an second episode.

Quote:
I mean all Haruhi shrot storys were just one episode so far. The exeption, Lone Island, had a very good point to break. And Kyon narration is always the first thing to be drope, I don't remember this time it being more important then usuall.
Kyon's narration, imo, sometimes shows his darker side. This time, it shows his better side. That's why I'd like to keep as much of it as possible for this story.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2009-10-24 at 09:52.
Closed Thread