AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-01-31, 18:55   Link #661
Ghostfriendly

Nice icons!

Hope they find the lyrics to 'Amazing Grace' somewhere, and maybe guess at their meaning...ep 3 was really the best, with detailed relationshp development, and lots of info about the characters. Lots of info in this ep too. It was good to see a reference to the after effects of war, with the orphan; it really creates a complex world where things are somewhere between sunshine and hellfire. Couldn't imagine Kureha or Kanata shooting anyone; the others would probably manage somehow, if it came to that.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 06:57   Link #662
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

the series has some serious undertones behind the group of cheery girls. This is clearly some town in a world where some great war devastated the world in the past and a smaller war has just ended recently and people are trying to rebuild.

Reminds kind of Xenogears. There is some myth about some girls who died trying to save the town. Ominous foreshadowing?

This show could get dark, very dark. I hope it does... 'cause it would kick ass.

Anyhow, the tank is a relic from some futuristic world war. People have reverted back to 1940s like technology. Some recent war has decimated the male population. The population seems very young. Lots of orphans around. The draft was repealed and military was scaled back, according to the first episode... so there should be more men... if they survived. Lots of women... probably means a lot of men didn't come back.

These girls are put in what basically is the "radar tower in alaska."

Is the lieutenant the soldier that played for Kanata? Was she a cold blooded killing machine? Has she gone Rorouni Kenshin?
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 07:53   Link #663
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post

Is the lieutenant the soldier that played for Kanata? Was she a cold blooded killing machine? Has she gone Rorouni Kenshin?
Very good idea there, true about the lowered male poulation as well. The blonde trumpeter looks quite different from the lieutenant, and either of them might have hidden depths. I wouldn't like the story to go completely dark though; with a happy-go-lucky veiwpoint like Kanata's, there's got to be some hope.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 08:36   Link #664
Skane
Anime Snark

Question

I find it confounding. Much like Manabi Straight, when I was wondering whether or not the series would change tracks and switch moods based on the ominous PV.

Manabi Straight however, remained upbeat and uplifting all the way.

Now comes Sora no Woto. They're liberally slapping us in the face with teases that the series might go a radically different direction, but in order to achieve that, the tone of the series would need to take a drastic change, and that'll cause a massive WTF mental whiplash unless it was executed properly, but I just don't see how it'll be possible considering the very light-hearted feel of the series now.

If they fail to make it smooth, it'll become a classic Gainax Ending (see Mahoromatic Season 2).

They'll need to find a way to do the transition. Like finding an enemy spy and killing him/her or something.

Or it could be all just be a giant red herring.

Though there were the ghosts in episode 2...

Natch.
Old 2010-02-01, 09:00   Link #665
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skane View Post

Or it could be all just be a giant red herring.
I'm in the giant red herring camp. It's not marketed to the "dark crowd". It wouldn't sell much anyways if it did without a Gundam in it.
Old 2010-02-01, 09:34   Link #666
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
If they fail to make it smooth, it'll become a classic Gainax Ending (see Mahoromatic Season 2).
Err... can't you just spill the beans to us, I'd rather not go watch a completely different (potentially disappointing?) series to find out.
Old 2010-02-01, 09:59   Link #667
CaptGloval
New Macross soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preacher View Post
Somehow i still await for them to awaken Kadun at the bottom of the sea that was seen in first episode, and show expose itself as a continuation of Macross Zero where the earth wasn't completely destroyed
I'd use the underwater scene or the body in the carrier for Macross Zero comparison shots. Anyway, this speculation is given some credence because the writer has worked on Macross Zero and Frontier, if I get it right. I'd also add music-controlled mechs among the wild speculations.
CaptGloval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 10:30   Link #668
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptGloval View Post
I'd use the underwater scene or the body in the carrier for Macross Zero comparison shots. Anyway, this speculation is given some credence because the writer has worked on Macross Zero and Frontier, if I get it right. I'd also add music-controlled mechs among the wild speculations.
The show does seem to be channeling Arkan and Macross Zero along with K-On!.

Old 2010-02-01, 13:25   Link #669
Midonin
Last Engage

Spoiler for So Ra No Ha Te 05 - They Call Me Mr. Pig:
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 13:34   Link #670
einhorn303

Well, this episode removes all doubt as to the official romanization of Noel's name:

And "Filicia's," slightly different than some expected:

Spoiler for ep 05:

Next week's episode title seems very "Moe Filler"-ish.

Last edited by einhorn303; 2010-02-01 at 13:45.
einhorn303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 14:38   Link #671
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Spoiler for Episode 5:

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Spoiler for ep 05:
Spoiler for Episode 5 goes here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by einhorn303 View Post
Next week's episode title seems very "Moe Filler"-ish.
With this show, I'm not so sure .

Last edited by Arabesque; 2010-02-02 at 15:42. Reason: grammer
Arabesque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 14:59   Link #672
serenade_beta
そのおっぱいで13才

Spoiler for ep5:

-Blog --> http://tdnshumi.blogspot.com/ (Mainly about video games)
-R.I.P. Hiroshi Yamauchi, Gaming wouldn't have been the same without you (9/19/13)
serenade_beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 15:02   Link #673
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
It's not marketed to the "dark crowd". It wouldn't sell much anyways if it did without a Gundam in it.
I would like to have a little more faith in the otakus if that tone shift ever happens. But it is hard nowadays.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 15:06   Link #674
Midonin
Last Engage

Things don't need to be "dark" to be good.
Midonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 15:30   Link #675
BBOvenGuy
Math Ninja
*Author

Quote:
Now comes Sora no Woto. They're liberally slapping us in the face with teases that the series might go a radically different direction, but in order to achieve that, the tone of the series would need to take a drastic change, and that'll cause a massive WTF mental whiplash unless it was executed properly, but I just don't see how it'll be possible considering the very light-hearted feel of the series now.
It's what Haibane Renmei did. So far, I've felt like this show has had a very strong Haibane Renmei vibe to it.

It's not necessarily "dark" - more like, "So you thought we were just kidding around, eh? Well, what do you think of this?"
BBOvenGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 16:20   Link #676
billborden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabesque View Post
I am starting to think that a ''Slice of Life after Armageddon'' label would be describe what this series is aiming for.
I like that, but I wouldn't say that the show is turning "dark" or "grim", just serious; sort of: "Life can be sweet, but don't forget that there is sadness in the world or that we are it's cause". This show seems to be moving closer to the world of "Ai Ren" than that of "Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou". That means, even with all the laughter, I expect a few tears before this is through.

BTW, "Higurashi" has ruined me for flying insects. When the camera centered on the cicada on the stone gate (right about 8:50), I almost expected to see Rika or Hanyuu show up
Old 2010-02-01, 16:26   Link #677
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Spoiler for ep5:
Catching some sun.
Old 2010-02-01, 16:56   Link #678
Natsukah
EVA fangirl

Send a message via MSN to Natsukah
Finally got to see how Noël's name was written. I can now sleep in peace. It was disturbing me not to know

Overall, good episode, the animation was pretty, the music good as always, and the humour was great.

Poor Noël tried to tell a joke, but Kanata is so naíve that she wasn't able to. That face she did was soooooo cute
Natsukah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 17:14   Link #679
Roardel

The best episode so far.
Kureha dere to Klaus, hopping Kanata, joking Noël. All the girls are so cute.
Roardel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-02-01, 21:30   Link #680
Seravy
Dorothy-chaaan~!

re: Hikari no Senritsu PV

amazing! love the setting, the costumes & overall atmosphere of the video. kalafina are such ****ing babes
Seravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comedy, drama, music, seinen, slice of life