AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2021-03-23, 07:06   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 1008 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

It's that time again! Credit goes to AP's Redon and co. for the info:

-Chapter title is "Leader of the bandits of Atamayama, Ashura Douji". Splash features Robin.

-Oden tells the Scabbards that he traveled to the future using Toki's ability! However, one of the samurai is not buying this explanation..... that individual being Ashura Douji. Raizou isn't fooled either, as he reminds his comrades that Toki's power can't go backward in time.... their master's death simply can't be reversed. That's when "Oden" suddenly tries to attack Kinemon, but Ashura pushes him out of the way, taking the blow in his place! The truth is now clear: This "Oden" was a fake created by fellow Scabbard Kanjurou, who was previously thought to have fallen!!! Kiku is regretful that she didn't finish him off earlier, but Ashura forgives her, saying he understands their feelings. As the Scabbards battle the ink doppelganger, Kanjurou says it's no use searching for his real body, as he's already a safe distance away (in fact, controlling the clone eats up a lot of energy). What's more, using Bao Huang's surveillance network, he's free to hunt down Momonosuke again!

-That's when the fake Oden reveals a surprise up his sleeve: A bomb! Ashura is the first to notice this, and tells his fellow Scabbards to protect Momo as he tackles the ink clone through a window! The bomb explodes, taking Ashura out of action. As the remaining Scabbards prepare to continue their mission, a new obstacle blocks their way: Jack! Some minks tried to stop him, but he took them out. Inuarashi tells his comrades to go ahead while he deals with the all-star alone. Jack points out that there's no full moon to help him this time, but Inu replies that there's no poison gas weapon, either! Meanwhile, elsewhere in the castle, someone is running around setting the place ablaze! It turns out the responsible party is none other than Kurozumi Orochi!!! He intends to burn the island down along with Kaidou's forces, and Fukurokuju is at his side, silencing anyone who happened to catch a glimpse of the still breathing shogun....!!!

-Meanwhile, we get another scene between Momo and Yamato. The young lord explains that he becomes a dragon when feeling strong emotions such as shock or sadness, but he's getting better control of his transformations now. Yamato wonders if Luffy is okay, to which Momo responds that he is, though he's in a weakened state right now. Shinobu wonders how he could possibly know that. Finally, we cut back to the rooftop, where Luffy's team are still facing off against Big Mom and Kaidou.... the latter's hybrid form finally being fully revealed to us readers. Luffy's indeed weakened like Momo said, but he still fights on. The other supernovas discuss taking down one of the emperors as soon as possible, as fighting them both at once is a hellish ordeal. But Luffy says he's experienced his fair share of hell several times as it is......!!!!

Images
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Last edited by marvelB; 2021-03-25 at 07:34.
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-23, 08:51   Link #2
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I'm not sure what Kanjurou and Orochi are trying to accomplish here. Did they heal the Scabbard hoping they'd weaken Kaidou further? (not like they managed to weaken him much)

I'm happy Kanjurou's ending wasn't the off-panel one he previously had at least.
Old 2021-03-23, 12:22   Link #3
marvelB

^Personally, I'm not so sure that Orochi is keen on helping the Scabbards. Kanjurou, maybe (I wouldn't be surprised if his heel turn were just a cover and he's actually still loyal to the rebel side after all), but I find it hard to see the shogun making a truce with his sworn enemies, even under the current circumstances. Personally, I still kinda think he's being assisted by Fukurokuju (who slipped away shortly after Orochi's "execution" earlier, remember)....

Oh, and speaking of Orochi, we can also add him to the growing list of Zoans whose hybrid forms weren't revealed yet (so that should include the all-stars, about half the Tobi Roppou, Yamato, Momo (no way is that artificial fruit a "failure")....).
Old 2021-03-23, 13:20   Link #4
mickbis

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
^Personally, I'm not so sure that Orochi is keen on helping the Scabbards. Kanjurou, maybe (I wouldn't be surprised if his heel turn were just a cover and he's actually still loyal to the rebel side after all), but I find it hard to see the shogun making a truce with his sworn enemies, even under the current circumstances. Personally, I still kinda think he's being assisted by Fukurokuju (who slipped away shortly after Orochi's "execution" earlier, remember)....

Oh, and speaking of Orochi, we can also add him to the growing list of Zoans whose hybrid forms weren't revealed yet (so that should include the all-stars, about half the Tobi Roppou, Yamato, Momo (no way is that artificial fruit a "failure")....).
Or Orochi is bound by rage and start joing the Kaido battle too?
mickbis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-24, 03:45   Link #5
Magin
#1 Akashiya Moka Fan
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Magin Send a message via MSN to Magin
So to the surprise of absolutely no one, both Kanjurou and Orochi are alive.

Damn, it would've been nice to have gotten rid of both of them. They just keep the list of Problemic Characters growing, as if Kaido, Big Mom, the Tobi Roppo, All-Stars, etc. weren't enough.

R+V fanfic- Chapter 4 of A Water Bride and a Vampire is now up at FF.net!

All fans of Inner or Outer Moka, come join her fanclub!
Magin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-24, 04:01   Link #6
OH&S
Index III was a mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelB View Post
-Oden tells the Scabbards that he traveled to the future using Toki's ability! However, one of the samurai is not buying this explanation..... that individual being Ashura Douji. In fact, he suddenly decides to step forward and cut his master! But oddly, Oden doesn't shed blood after getting sliced. The truth soon becomes clear: This "Oden" was a fake created by fellow Scabbard Kanjurou, who was previously thought to have fallen.....!!!

-And he's not the only one who survived, for OROCHI is back, as well!
Quote:
Originally Posted by OH&S View Post
Now that I've managed to collect my thoughts on this cliffhanger:

Spoilers
Spoiler for 1007 cliffhanger
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
I'm going with the third option else I lose my sanity for the next two weeks.
Option #2 it is. But Kanjurou hasn't changed sides; which means the mystery person is still out there (placing my bets on it being Kozuki Toki).

All in all, pretty satisfied with how Oda handled this.
Old 2021-03-24, 06:39   Link #7
grecefar

Well it's not like I wanted oden to be alive so I'm fine with this.
grecefar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-24, 08:14   Link #8
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post

Damn, it would've been nice to have gotten rid of both of them. They just keep the list of Problemic Characters growing, as if Kaido, Big Mom, the Tobi Roppo, All-Stars, etc. weren't enough.
I would prefer to be like the Red Scabbards will personally end Orochi and Kanjuro. Rather than having them killed by the villain as we know, it is more honorable for the Red Scabbards to kill those who betray Oden and Wano in the first place.

If it was conducted in the way of samurai, the most befitting end is to have Orochi and Kanjuro slain by Red Scabbards.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-24, 11:59   Link #9
Hoodspirit

Interesting detail on Momonosuke in the addtiional spoilers.
Will it be a connection between their 2 DFs or is it his VoaT?
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-24, 16:14   Link #10
Galaxian

I see a new Gear 4th form approaching in the next couple of chapters.
Galaxian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-25, 08:00   Link #11
marvelB

Summary updated! Well, it's clear now that Kanjurou is still an enemy... and Orochi has just gone plain berserk. Maybe it's one of those two who Sanji will face instead of Jack? But then again, it's questionable whether an Inu who's clearly not 100% recovered can take out the all-star solo, especially with no full moon to power him up.....

And yeah, interesting that Momo could sense Luffy's condition like that. Could be observation haki at work, some psychic link between him and Kaidou due to their Lineage Factors, or maybe even both. Either way, Momo's already beginning to prove that he's nowhere as useless as he believes himself to be!

As far as Kaidou's hybrid form goes, he doesn't really look that much different from his normal human form, IMO. Just more scaly and with some extra horns + fangs. I still look forward to what techniques he pulls off in that form, though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magin View Post

Personally, I'm glad they're both back! I find them to be the most interesting non-pirate villains we've had in a while. Or at least, until CP0 finally takes an active role instead of an observatory one.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxian View Post
I see a new Gear 4th form approaching in the next couple of chapters.
If the latest SBS is anything to go by, Luffy's next stage of evolution should be going beyond "4th", I think.....
Old 2021-03-25, 08:32   Link #12
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

The person who healed the Scabbards is still a mystery then. Has to be Toki, whose death was never confirmed.
Old 2021-03-25, 12:13   Link #13
Hoodspirit

Kaido emphasising Luffy's eyes with that wicked smug is kinda frightening tbh.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-25, 19:06   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Kaido's hybrid form is disappointing. He really doesn't look that much different.
Old 2021-03-25, 23:07   Link #15
Rainbowman

Interesting to see Kaidou’s hybrid form. I bet Orochi’s hybrid form would look silly ugly like his beast form.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-26, 11:41   Link #16
Jmariofan7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Kaido's hybrid form is disappointing. He really doesn't look that much different.
And here comes the complaining, we still have Kaido’s awakened form to be revealed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I'm not sure what Kanjurou and Orochi are trying to accomplish here. Did they heal the Scabbard hoping they'd weaken Kaidou further? (not like they managed to weaken him much)
Pretty sure it was someone else who healed the Scabbards, either Toki or Komurasaki.
Jmariofan7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-27, 05:57   Link #17
Itsmepatrick

I bet the match in the rooftop will be the three Captains ( Luffy, Law and Kid) versus Kaido and two Vice Captains (Zoro and Killer) versus Big Mom. hope there will be at least one who'll join them to stall Big mom like Drake maybe .
Itsmepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-27, 23:22   Link #18
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Kaido also has a tail! Lol

So after this battle, and presumably when Luffy reveals a gear 5, do you guys think all this accumulated damage will catch up to Luffy and he’ll have one year left to live like Roger did? I think it will be crunch time after this arc for Luffy and he’ll follow a somewhat similar path as the former Pirate King.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2021-03-28, 11:43   Link #19
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

So after this battle, and presumably when Luffy reveals a gear 5, do you guys think all this accumulated damage will catch up to Luffy and he’ll have one year left to live like Roger did? I think it will be crunch time after this arc for Luffy and he’ll follow a somewhat similar path as the former Pirate King.
I think he'll follow a very different path. Even though there are a lot of similarities between Roger and Luffy, I'm pretty sure Luffy and his crew will have a completely different reaction to the One Piece.
Old 2021-03-28, 13:14   Link #20
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Rayleigh already states at Sabaody that when the crew reaches there, the answer they seek may be different than what Roger and his crew did. As of right now, we haven't got any information of the possibility of former Roger's Great Fleet, or maybe it never exist.

Luffy already got a Great Fleet from the captains who volunteers to become his subordinate. So I expect once One Piece was found, the all-out war will start.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote