AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Old 2024-01-09, 18:18   Link #21
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

It wasn't until the fake OP that I realized what they were doing. I kinda thought I had clicked on the wrong show before that.

Yumiella's surname Dorkness seems to suit her. She spent literal years grinding and never once bothered to check what her level was. Yep, she can say goodbye to her peaceful life.
Old 2024-01-09, 20:00   Link #22
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
Yumiella's surname Dorkness seems to suit her. She spent literal years grinding and never once bothered to check what her level was.
Dolkness == Darkness. Same with Alicia, Enleiht == Enlighten. Otome games are rarely subtle about such things. As for knowing what her level was, the magic ball level enumerating tool is school property and she didn't know what it would read -- she hoped it might only be level 5 or so after all.

7/10 first episode. A lot of this story's charm is based in Yumellia's inner dialogues as she is simultaneously very genre-savvy and at the same time oblivious to how people think. This is difficult to do well in anime, of course...

The animation is barely adequate but that may be from a perspective of me being spoiled by excellent technical art and direction in recent series like Frieren and Kage no Jitsuryokusha.
Old 2024-01-09, 20:03   Link #23
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
Dolkness == Darkness. Same with Alicia, Enleiht == Enlighten. Otome games are rarely subtle about such things. As for knowing what her level was, the magic ball level enumerating tool is school property and she didn't know what it would read -- she hoped it might only be level 5 or so after all.

7/10 first episode. A lot of this story's charm is based in Yumellia's inner dialogues as she is simultaneously very genre-savvy and at the same time oblivious to how people think. This is difficult to do well in anime, of course...

The animation is barely adequate but that may be from a perspective of me being spoiled by excellent technical art and direction in recent series like Frieren and Kage no Jitsuryokusha.
I think the animation is fairly solid and about what I would expect from this kind of series although I feel like 7th Time Loop had the more eye-catching visuals. But I think this is fine .
Old 2024-01-09, 20:48   Link #24
nojay
Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
I think the animation is fairly solid and about what I would expect from this kind of series.
The horse-carriage CGI animation at the beginning was cringeworthy as was the Dullahan dungeon-boss fight. I presume there's computer software animation studios use to generate cel artwork for horses and carriages these days, same as fireworks and magic circles which at least aren't meant to represent living creatures.

I can accept that the early animation in this first episode was supposed to be reprising the visual novel animation in the otoge, but I suppose the story doesn't need god-level animation to carry the show. I can just rewatch Frieren to console myself afterwards.
Old 2024-01-09, 22:20   Link #25
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Yeah, I'm not sure about the choice of the main character not showing up for like half the episode was a good idea.

Honestly it would have been a bit generic, but just focusing on the characters we had probably would have been fine.

Honestly I've got plenty of questions. If she had no attachment to the characters or the story...why did she play that game in the first place? Plus why did she play it so absolutely fully to grind out to max level to take on the hidden boss? Even if she's a gamer at heart...was she so out of things to play she picked up a game she had no interest in?

Yeah, she definitely put herself into this mess. Way too much grinding.

Guess we'll see how this goes. Not sure about it after the first episode. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't amazing either.
Old 2024-01-09, 23:05   Link #26
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by nojay View Post
The horse-carriage CGI animation at the beginning was cringeworthy as was the Dullahan dungeon-boss fight. I presume there's computer software animation studios use to generate cel artwork for horses and carriages these days, same as fireworks and magic circles which at least aren't meant to represent living creatures.

I can accept that the early animation in this first episode was supposed to be reprising the visual novel animation in the otoge, but I suppose the story doesn't need god-level animation to carry the show. I can just rewatch Frieren to console myself afterwards.
Honestly I'm just use to CG like that so it didn't really bother me .
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure about the choice of the main character not showing up for like half the episode was a good idea.

Honestly it would have been a bit generic, but just focusing on the characters we had probably would have been fine.

Honestly I've got plenty of questions. If she had no attachment to the characters or the story...why did she play that game in the first place? Plus why did she play it so absolutely fully to grind out to max level to take on the hidden boss? Even if she's a gamer at heart...was she so out of things to play she picked up a game she had no interest in?

Guess we'll see how this goes. Not sure about it after the first episode. It wasn't bad. But it wasn't amazing either.
She seems like the type where if there's any kind of combat/level system, she'll jump on it for sure .
Old 2024-01-10, 06:07   Link #27
Huh...?

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-10, 12:38   Link #28
SamCurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlareKnight View Post

I'm under the impression that the gal who isekai'd as Yumiella was a big RPG nerd (and I mean the word "nerd" literally here), which would explain many things in this series.

(As I mentioned in the Hoshikuzu Telepath thread last season, I'm kinda interested in this type of character, so at least I'll pay some attention to it.)

Last edited by SamCurt; 2024-01-10 at 12:42. Reason: Adding an extra line at the end.
SamCurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-10, 13:27   Link #29
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamCurt View Post
I'm under the impression that the gal who isekai'd as Yumiella was a big RPG nerd (and I mean the word "nerd" literally here), which would explain many things in this series.

(As I mentioned in the Hoshikuzu Telepath thread last season, I'm kinda interested in this type of character, so at least I'll pay some attention to it.)
She actually had an FF14 poster on her wall, I think .
Old 2024-01-11, 06:45   Link #30
Huh...?

Guess people don't know how to scroll up two posts?

Genjitsu Shugi Yuusha Fandom Wikia ("Administrator")
Arifureta Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Tsuki ga Michibiku Isekai Douchu Fandom Wikia ("Bureaucrat" & "Administrator")
Yu-Gi-Oh! Fandom Wikia ("Content Moderator")
Huh...? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-11, 13:25   Link #31
Alchemist007
*Author

I can appreciate a decent fakeout. Will be interested to see what shenanigans she gets into while trying to 'lay low' as it were .
Old 2024-01-13, 19:15   Link #32
SamCurt

I'm not familiar with video games that much, let alone those that aim at girls... Hikayū sounds more like a JPRG with reverse-harem maintext rather than otome-dating-sim. Butv does games like that exist in real life?
Old 2024-01-13, 19:29   Link #33
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
I'm not familiar with video games that much, let alone those that aim at girls... Hikayū sounds more like a JPRG with reverse-harem maintext rather than otome-dating-sim. Butv does games like that exist in real life?
I guess so? It's exactly the same premise as Hamefura: a commoner heroine with unique light magic gets enrolled into a royal academy and meets princes and other high ranked people.
Old 2024-01-13, 23:51   Link #34
SamCurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I guess so? It's exactly the same premise as Hamefura: a commoner heroine with unique light magic gets enrolled into a royal academy and meets princes and other high ranked people.
But at least Hamefura's Fortune Lover is a dating sim, and thus plots from shoujo romance can be applied nicely in games like this. As I mentioned, Hikayū looks more like a RPG game to me, and I wonder if there exists RPG games that are written for girls and contains reverse-harem elements. I assume it's a yes, but I want to be sure.
Old 2024-01-14, 00:36   Link #35
Frontier

Quote:
But at least Hamefura's Fortune Lover is a dating sim, and thus plots from shoujo romance can be applied nicely in games like this. As I mentioned, Hikayū looks more like a RPG game to me, and I wonder if there exists RPG games that are written for girls and contains reverse-harem elements. I assume it's a yes, but I want to be sure.
I'm reminded of Lieselotte where it seemed like the game also had stats and levels for the cast despite being an Otome game.
Old 2024-01-14, 04:17   Link #36
Zolton

Quote:
I managed to find a few on VNDB. Only 11 of them are translated in English though.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-14, 09:06   Link #37
larethian

Confused for 13 minutes by what I was watching because I didn't look up any info prior to watching it. I thought it was a reverse harem VN show except for the title, which was the one that confused me and kept me watching on. At least, thanks to the start, I did not mind the standard reincarnation exposition, which would have made for an utterly boring start if they just did it at the beginning.

Though it was hard for me to fathom why she would play this game if she's not interested in the dating sim part. I'm sure she could find other games if she was just interested in RPG stuff or a broken hidden boss mechanic.
larethian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-14, 10:08   Link #38
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by larethian View Post
Confused for 13 minutes by what I was watching because I didn't look up any info prior to watching it. I thought it was a reverse harem VN show except for the title, which was the one that confused me and kept me watching on. At least, thanks to the start, I did not mind the standard reincarnation exposition, which would have made for an utterly boring start if they just did it at the beginning.

Though it was hard for me to fathom why she would play this game if she's not interested in the dating sim part. I'm sure she could find other games if she was just interested in RPG stuff or a broken hidden boss mechanic.
I imagine she picks up any games with RPG system and just hunkers down and clears them as quickly as possible .
Old 2024-01-15, 16:15   Link #39
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
VN + RPG hybrids are definitely a thing but generally (sadly) otome isekai aren't really representative of many actual otome games.
stray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2024-01-15, 16:31   Link #40
Frontier

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
VN + RPG hybrids are definitely a thing but generally (sadly) otome isekai aren't really representative of many actual otome games.
Although they sure are getting adapted more .