AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Hayate no Gotoku

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-04, 09:08   Link #1
Skyfall
Lost in my dreams...

Hayate no Gotoku - Voice Actor Appreciation & Discussion

The purpose of this thread is to discuss, critique and idolize the Voice Actor cast of Hayate no Gotoku. Please remember that the discussion should center on their performances as professional voice actors and not on the show content (which can be discussed in the various Episode threads). Please remember this simple rule when critiquing a VA's performance or reading another forum member's critique:
  • - Don't take it personally.
    In other words, you’re free to disagree with another person’s opinion, but don’t flame them if they offer a well written and well thought out analysis that differs from your own opinion. Keep it civil.

• - Voice Actors are humans.
    Yes, it’s true. They’re human. Therefore, don’t just indiscriminately rip them and their work apart as if they’re inorganic objects. You don’t have to praise them non-stop, but be thoughtful in your criticism.
This thread might duplicate some discussion in the Episode threads, but it can also serve to demystify various VA roles, disseminate VA information (VA Bios, VA photos, etc) and provide cast information of various types as well as discussion about performances.
Old 2007-08-04, 09:45   Link #2
Pellissier
♪~ Daydreaming ~♪
*Graphic Designer
*Administrator

Here's the cast list for the main characters of Hayate no Gotoku. Credits to ANN. All infos are meant as "cast in" (not "staff in").

Kuigimiya Rie as Sanzenin Nagi

Spoiler:

Tanaka Rie as Maria

Spoiler:

Shiraishi Ryoko as Ayasaki Hayate

Spoiler:

Shizuka Itou as Katsura Hinagiku

Spoiler:

Takahashi Mikako as Nishizawa Ayumu

Spoiler:

Nabatame Itomi as Katsura Yukiji

Spoiler:

Yahagi Sayuri as Segawa Izumi

Spoiler:

Nakao Eri as Hanabishi Miki

Spoiler:

Asano Masumi as Asakaze Risa

Spoiler:

Ueda Kana as Aizawa Sakuya

Spoiler:

Inoue Marina as Tachibana Wataru

Spoiler:

Nakajima Saki as Kijima Saki

Spoiler:

Matsuki Miyu as Saginomiya Isumi

Spoiler:

Miyake Kenta as Seishirou "Klaus" Kurausu

Spoiler:

Kosugi Juurouta as Tama

Spoiler:

Wakamoto Norio as Ten no Koe (narrator)

Spoiler:

Last edited by Pellissier; 2007-08-05 at 05:00.
Old 2007-08-04, 10:50   Link #3
Zaris
of Porsche

Send a message via AIM to Zaris Send a message via MSN to Zaris Send a message via Yahoo to Zaris
To get this thread rolling...

I think it's amusing yet silly to hear Kamyu's voice actress here in Hayate. It's like receiving a major overdose of cute since her previous role in another anime involved voicing an equally young and perky individual. It's strange; I didn't notice a similarity until episode 5 or so when I started watching it and I was like, "now this girl sounds awfully familiar. Haven't I heard her before?". After a little digging through the Anime News Network, I found the match. It's the first time I've ever discovered two characters sharing the same VA by myself.

Not long ago, I was told the person who voiced Aoi Sakuraba (Ai Yori Aoshi) and Misaka Kaori (Kanon) were one in the same, although it was impossible for me to notice by watching and listening. I never would've noticed if I hadn't been told. But I guess that's some VA's talent - changing their voices in very dramatic ways kind of like how the VA for Suzumiya Haruhi does it. Ironically, some people will forever sound the same. Most recently, I found Tanaka Atsuko (Karura from Utawarerumono) making a very amusing guest appearance as Trish from the current Devil May Cry series. One listen and you'd immediately recognize it.

I suppose one starts noticing it more the more you watch anime... which leads me to question if some people pick the anime they choose to watch based on their favorite voice actors or actresses?

Finally, did you know this person, Tanaka Rie, voices Maria? O.o

Old 2007-08-10, 16:18   Link #4
Echoes

I recognized Nagi's voice as Rie Kugimiya's almost immediately, since it was quite similar to Louise's, from Zero no Tsukaima. I'm not usually quick to pick up on such similarities, so it was quite fun.

In general, I'm very happy with the voiceacting so far in Hayate no Gotoku, I especially love their take on a sarcastic narrator.
Old 2007-08-11, 01:02   Link #5
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Rie Kugimiya's ability to be both Moe and Gar at the same time (Moegar) has made her my favourite female voice actor of what I deem "The New Generation". Basically those under 35 or so. She can also do young boy characters too like Ai Orikasa and isn't just limited to the high pitched "I'm the boss" tone you usually hear (See Alphonse Elric or Ikuto Noguchi from Digimon). For some reason I'm also convinced she's absolutely loopy. If you actually get a chance to hear it her range equals or surpasses that of Aya Hirano who somehow came up in this thread, as she comes up in nearly every voice acting thread as an example of greatness of one degree or another. Though I'll admit I do recognize a lot of seiyuu right off the bat since I'm very familiar with a lot of the more prevelant ones. By the way I found a NicoNico Vid showing clips of most or all of her roles which shows she doesn't always sound the same. I suggest anybody who thinks she's only capable of one voice watch this and make sure they get to the 40's as that's when the real crazy stuff starts happening and I'm not sure which character she's supposed to be.

Norio Wakamoto has been around forever. I'm not sure I like the sarcastic tone he's got going here, I prefer some of his older roles or even his work in Code Geass as The Emperor.

Rie Tanaka is pretty good lately. I used to think she was just another cutesy character role player, but she's at least caught my attention recently.

Ryoko Shiraishi seems VERY impressive in how she pulls off Hayate. I could of wish I could have gotten a chance to hear her in Lucky Star The Anime, but alas other plans were made for her character from the Drama CD. She's definitely on my radar now and I hope to see what else she can do from here on out.

I guess that's all from me.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-08-11 at 02:14.
Old 2007-08-11, 07:58   Link #6
S_K
Let's begin!

Send a message via MSN to S_K
Norio Wakamoto is just too good
Old 2007-08-15, 21:49   Link #7
Cyz
"Show it to me"

Rie Tanaka, Rie Kuigimiya, and Matsuki Miyu are the 3 VAs I know mostly. Rie Tanaka did an excellent job voicing Maria. Lol! matured yet young no? Rie Kuigimiya...points for having a tsundere voice as always. And Matsuki Miyu for the calm approach voicing.
Currently Watching:
-- too lazy to put it together --
~~~~~
Current sig:
Takanashi Rikka from
Chuunibyou Demo Koi ga Shitai!
~~~~
Big thanx to Patchy for the sig
Old 2007-08-16, 23:40   Link #8
Agent86
Yuki-ist and Hina-geek

Wakamoto Norio is just great. I loved how he voiced Gar-kun in Gargoyle of the Yoshinagas, so I was thrilled to learn that he'd be the Narrator for Hayate. Always hits the mark in being the earnest Hayate's sarcastic foil.

Itou Shizuka brings a nice range of expression to Hinagiku, and isn't dependent on being either tsun~ or dere~.

And Tanaka Rie is her usual awesome self. Always one of my favorites, and has a good character to work with in Maria-san.
Old 2007-09-02, 02:29   Link #9
himemiya613

i think nagi and shana played by kuigimiya rie both have really similar looks and personalities lol
Old 2007-09-09, 03:12   Link #10
Omfgbbqwtf

Kuigimiya Rie is the VA for Nene from Potemayo?? How surprising~~ It is most likely due to Nene's insanely high pitch voice that prevented me from recognizing her voice...
Old 2007-09-10, 00:40   Link #11
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I've learned that Yuko Minaguchi will be doing the voice of Nagi's mother. Minaguchi is one of the voice actresses who I thought had disappeared off the face of the earth with the close of the 90's and I really missed her haunting sort of voice that made characters like Hotaru Tomoe/Sailor Saturn and Kaede from Betterman work so well. This is certainly an auspicious day. I'm glad to see many of my old favourites who I thought had retired or simply vanished reappear with 2007. There's still many more I want to hear again though.

Update:

Apparently this picture came out sometime around the Hayate The Combat Butler promotions. Of note is the positioning of Rie Kugimiya's fingers.

Kugimiya's awesome factor just shot up another several points with this one. Definitely not your typical voice actor in public.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2007-09-11 at 20:19.
Old 2007-09-12, 08:36   Link #12
Kimmie-chan

Send a message via MSN to Kimmie-chan
I absolutely love Kana Ueda who here is playing Kastura, I can't get enough of her playing Yumi from Mari-mite ^^ and definatly kudos to Rie Tanaka for Maria-san, I couldn't tell it was till I looked it up haha.

I was a little shocked to find out that Rie Kugimiya's also plays Alphonse from FMA ...

Quote:
I've learned that Yuko Minaguchi will be doing the voice of Nagi's mother. Minaguchi is one of the voice actresses who I thought had disappeared off the face of the earth with the close of the 90's and I really missed her haunting sort of voice that made characters like Hotaru Tomoe/Sailor Saturn and Kaede from Betterman work so well.
For real? I loved Hotaru's seiyuu, never watched another anime with her in it... definately looking forward for Nagi's okaachama to come in the picture.

And yeah I don't limit myself to watch anime only by seiyuu's I love... having them in there is certainly a bonus though.
Old 2007-10-04, 13:27   Link #13
Pell14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaris View Post

omg she is freaking hawt
Old 2010-01-25, 18:26   Link #14
hinakatbklyn

Didn't realize there was a VA section for this series. Figure I would be alittle more detailed.

While I believe Yuri and Christina are the perfect fit for Hayate and Nagi in the case of a change in license (to Viz), it may not completely help the series if the rest of the cast doesn't match the characters. In the case of Funimation, the same 2 lead characters could have decent voice actors but an excellent supporting cast could make the series even better.

Spoiler for Prospect Voice Actors incase of an english dub:
Old 2010-01-25, 23:22   Link #15
Dark Paladin X

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinakatbklyn View Post
Didn't realize there was a VA section for this series. Figure I would be alittle more detailed.

While I believe Yuri and Christina are the perfect fit for Hayate and Nagi in the case of a change in license (to Viz), it may not completely help the series if the rest of the cast doesn't match the characters. In the case of Funimation, the same 2 lead characters could have decent voice actors but an excellent supporting cast could make the series even better.
Funny thing is that I've also thought up of the (almost) same thing for Hayate and Nagi where Yuri Lowenthal voices Hayate. However, I've thought up of Tara Strong voicing Nagi instead mainly because I can feel the "tsundere" in Strong's voice acting, but I didn't leave out Cristina Valenzuela as an option if Tara can't voice Nagi.

Sadly, there aren't any goods roles for two of my favorite voice actors: James Arnold Taylor and Johnny Yong Bosch. I originally thought up Mr. Taylor either voicing Wataru Tachibana or Klaus, but they aren't good characters that would fit into James Arnold Taylor's voice acting range. But I did thought up of a good voice actor for Wataru Tachibana for the English dub:

Spoiler for the voice actor:

And I've also thought up of a good voice actor for Klaus for the English dub:

Spoiler for the voice actor:

Apparently, the only way to see a North American dub of Hayate the Combat Butler is if Bandai gives up the license to another licensor like Funimation. Other than that, there is very little hopes of seeing a North American dub of this anime.
Old 2010-02-28, 22:06   Link #16
Dark Paladin X

Okay ladies and gents, here is an updated cast for the dub for Hayate the Combat Butler:

Hayate Ayasaki- Yuri Lowenthal
Nagi Sanzen'in- Cristina Valenzuela
Maria- Michelle Ruff
Hinagiku Katsura- Kari Wahlgren
Seishirou Klaus- Kirk Thornton
Ayumu Nishizawa- Laura Bailey
Isumi Saginomiya- Stephanie Sheh
Sakuya Aizawa- Kate Higgins
Wataru Tachibana- Spike Spencer
Yukiji Katsura- Julie Ann Taylor
Saki Kijima- Wendee Lee
Narrator- Doug Erholtz
Old 2010-02-28, 23:05   Link #17
hinakatbklyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Paladin X View Post

Okay ladies and gents, here is an updated cast for the dub for Hayate the Combat Butler:

Spoiler for Paladin suggestions (Viz):
I have my suggestions if there was an english dub. Those I agree with I left out. Others that weren't included or I had a revision I put in.

Spoiler for My suggestions (Viz only):
Old 2010-03-01, 09:50   Link #18
GlassesLady
dat apple

Wait, isn't there already an english dub out? Why're you still guessing VAs?

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
Old 2010-03-01, 11:10   Link #19
hinakatbklyn

Southeast Asia has their own dub. The U.S. License choose not to dub the first season for some reason.
Old 2010-03-01, 21:50   Link #20
GlassesLady
dat apple

Oh, okay then. I was confused there. Confused. Yeah.

My Pokemans; let me show you them.
Closed Thread