Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-03-24, 21:31   Link #1601
00Coyote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master_Yoma View Post
So did they steal any thing or did they just help out the princess
I'm sure the Bentenmaru was well compensated for this particular voyage, probably not in pillage from the golden ship, but the Serenity Royal Family probably made some significant donations to the 'Help the pirates repair the damage from an awesome parking job' Fund.
00Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 22:22   Link #1602
RX-78GP04G Gerbera
Whoosh!

Send a message via AIM to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via MSN to RX-78GP04G Gerbera Send a message via Yahoo to RX-78GP04G Gerbera

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsunade666 View Post
what do you mean by ultimate coordinator? Kira was genetically engineered by birth to become the ultimate coordinator but here they just keep the original gene and dna of the royal family. Making an identical person or a clone.
I just mean because of that whole artificial womb, gene altering, and all that stuff.
RX-78GP04G Gerbera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 22:34   Link #1603
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I'm a little confused about what was going on on Serenity.

Not that the pirates care much, but I'd like some resolution.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 22:43   Link #1604
Utsuro no Hako

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
I'm a little confused about what was going on on Serenity.

Not that the pirates care much, but I'd like some resolution.
The royal family are all clones made on the ghost ship. Gruier decided the whole royalty thing's outlived its usefulness and it's time to make Serenity a republic, so to do that she hired the Bentenmaru to find the ghost ship and destroy the cloning chamber. Her sister brought a fleet to stop her, but Marika managed to cut a sidedeal with the sister's forces and end the conflict before it came to a fight. In the end none of it matters because the cloning machine's was on its last legs and would've broken down before delivering the last royal -- though doc was able to keep it going long enough to "give birth" one final time.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 22:44   Link #1605
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Spoiler for Random tidbits from the novel regarding Serenity:

Spoiler:

Last edited by dahl_moon; 2012-03-24 at 23:05.
dahl_moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-24, 23:24   Link #1606
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
Spoiler for Random tidbits from the novel regarding Serenity:
Ok, see, that makes it all make more sense.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 00:34   Link #1607
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy C View Post
Did they ever explain how they got the ghost ship to make a controlled FTL flight to the Serenity home system in the novel?
From this episode, I got the impression that the ghost ship wasn't "lost" as much as "well-hidden" by past Serenity rulers, who used it as a piggy bank for discrete funds.
Spoiler for Bla bla bla abridged version:
Boy does Sasamoto really loves German . Reminds me of Tomino and his UC gundam
and also this

Glad there was no BananaG and Audrey Burn scene from here . It's not like there was gravity anyway :P. Oh, and expect another old time Hollywod actress's name to appear when they adapt vol 3

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-03-25 at 03:13.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 01:32   Link #1608
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Well I'm guessing that is the end of that Arc. Marika sure shine this time. I wasn't expecting her to pull a devious move like that. I hope the next arc is awesome as well. That insert song "Black Holy" is nice, maybe I should buy the single.

Well now that Last Exile is over, this is now my premier show. It's time to re-watch the whole series so far since I have time to focus on this show now.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 01:35   Link #1609
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So after giving birth to Chibiusa, Neo-Queen Serenity decided that was too much trouble and started cloning herself, and the tradition held for thousands of years. That would explain the traditional hair style for civilian clothes use. And the Rose motif based on the traditional father or lover: King Endymion.

Or something like that.

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-03-25 at 16:37. Reason: Seeing and stuff
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 01:50   Link #1610
sa547
*Author

With the closure of the Serenity arc, this episode did all right, but in return... As I said before, Marika's "universe" has expanded.

@dahl_moon: excellent explanation for some things left unsaid.

And...
Quote:
"Everything works out when you're a pirate!"
This redefines the KISS principle -- keep it simple, stupid -- and the best way to get things done is to clear all other obstructions out of the way.
Old 2012-03-25, 03:24   Link #1611
Trajan
Six Shooter

I've been enjoying this show, but like others have noted, this episode left a lot of unanswered questions from the Serenity arc. I didn't see this addressed above, but maybe someone who has read the novels can shed some light on the following.

When Gruier wakes up, Marika tells Gruier that the rose was drained dry of genetic samples. Gruier looks pained and responds with a soft cry of "No . . .". This would imply she wanted there to be genetic material in the rose (which she was going to destroy). But then when the baby is brought in, Gruier tears up and says "I almost killed this child?" This would imply she didn't realize there was any genetic material left. As someone from a family born through this process for generations, it seems likely she would consider genetic material in an artificial womb to be the equivalent of an in utero embryo.

So my question is, did Gruier initially want to "kill" the genetic material, but then once she saw the baby, she changed her mind, or what? I guess you could just chalk this up to a pre-teen princess not really considering the consequences of her acts, but I was hoping there is a better explanation.

On another note, the way Marika's deviousness is played, the show has it come across as clever and cute. But if you think about it for a second, Marika essentially sold out her client (Gruier) and made a "better deal" with Yotov to save her own skin/get a bigger score. Of course, in the end Gruier is happy that Marika sold her out, but that doesn't change the fact that at the time Marika sold out Gruier for a better deal, Marika had no way of knowing that Gruier would forgive her. That's not cute devious, that's straight villainy.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 03:54   Link #1612
Sheba
RUN, YOU FOOLS!

Location: Formerly Iwakawa base and Chaldea. Now Teyvat, the Astral Express & the Outpost
Serenity were Capsuleers all along? Lol.
Sheba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 04:03   Link #1613
LoweGear
Secret Society BLANKET
*Graphic Designer

It technically isn't "selling out" if both parties do the same thing for a goal that is mutually beneficial to both. It's more like Yotof and Marika knew a resolution favoring one party or the other would end in much bloodshed, which both of course would know isn't pretty, and yet both wanted their respective goals to be achieved. It would only be selling out if Marika acted with intent of throwing her lot with Grunhilde, which didn't happen.

Marika does continue to impress with her super-competency though, without appearing convoluted or contrived. Give her a few years and she'll do Bruce Wayne proud

Against all the evil that hell can conjure, all wickedness that mankind can produce... We will send unto them, only you.
LoweGear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 04:29   Link #1614
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I was wondering when either Shebs or AX would come and post an EVE response to this episode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX-78GP04G Gerbera View Post
Did anyone else besides me get the whole "Ultimate Coordinator" vibe from Gundam SEED/SEED Destiny with this episode?
I refer you to a certain Star Trek episode: Up the Long Ladder.

I don't think there's enough genetic material in that rose to last for thousands of year (that's more than a pluripotent stem cell can provide). Instead, there's a limit to copying before replicative fade renders the clone unviable. So back then the clock had already been ticking.

With this being the last princess, a succession war is imminent.

(And yes, I have all of TNG memorized...)
Old 2012-03-25, 04:46   Link #1615
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

So just add more cells from a living Royal. Or a bum off the street, who cares?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 05:06   Link #1616
Trajan
Six Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
It technically isn't "selling out" if both parties do the same thing for a goal that is mutually beneficial to both. It's more like Yotof and Marika knew a resolution favoring one party or the other would end in much bloodshed, which both of course would know isn't pretty, and yet both wanted their respective goals to be achieved. It would only be selling out if Marika acted with intent of throwing her lot with Grunhilde, which didn't happen.

Marika does continue to impress with her super-competency though, without appearing convoluted or contrived. Give her a few years and she'll do Bruce Wayne proud
But in the end, didn't Marika effective side with Grunhilde? Marika and crew were hired by Gruier for a mission they knew to be dangerous to find and deliver Gruier to the Ghost Ship, so that she could then go on alone and destroy the rose. At some point Marika decided that the risk of further bloodshed wasn't worth the payoff she was getting from Gruier. At that point, Marika could have just told Gruier that the Bentemaru was off the job. Instead, Marika secretly contacted Yotof and made another deal: you gas your royal, we'll gas ours. We don't know if Yotof told Marika what Gruier was planning to do aboard the Ghost Ship or not, but either way, Marika knew she was working against Gruier's stated interests, without telling her.

In the end, Gruier failed to accomplish what she set out to do because Marika's direct actions prevented her from destroying the rose. In effect, Marika did side with Grunhilde, who was seeking to protect the rose. Marika effectively sold out her client and sided with Grunhilde's faction and in return they agreed not to assault the Bentenmaru's crew. Without the deus ex machina baby that melts Gruier's heart, would she really have been happy with the end result?

Gruier really would have been bettter off hiring Chiaki-chan for her mission of destruction!

I'm sure the intent is to show Marika's "super-competency" in setting the whole scheme up, as you say. But the problem here is that the anime writers were too clever by half and they make Marika appear to be willing to sell out clients to save her own skin.

Spoiler for LN comparison:

Last edited by Trajan; 2012-03-25 at 06:05.
Trajan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 05:14   Link #1617
sa547
*Author

Didn't saw that coming, but then I doubt if there was a story that had absolutely no plot holes.

Anyway, and fittingly enough to end the arc, someone came up with a remix of the OP (not sure if anyone would like it).

Last edited by sa547; 2012-03-25 at 05:52.
sa547 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 06:56   Link #1618
justpassingby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
Spoiler for LN comparison:
Spoiler:

Last edited by justpassingby; 2012-03-27 at 19:41.
justpassingby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 07:27   Link #1619
Random Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trajan View Post
In the end, Gruier failed to accomplish what she set out to do because Marika's direct actions prevented her from destroying the rose. In effect, Marika did side with Grunhilde, who was seeking to protect the rose. Marika effectively sold out her client and sided with Grunhilde's faction and in return they agreed not to assault the Bentenmaru's crew. Without the deus ex machina baby that melts Gruier's heart, would she really have been happy with the end result?
Actually, I would say yes, she would. Because the end result is what she wanted (no more Rose). She simply didn't get to destroy it herself. Gruelle won, Grunhilde lost. Marika did what she did to save lives, because the princesses were getting worked up enough that a fight would have been almost inevitable had they not been stopped somehow. And I am quite confident that Gruelle would not have been happy having people on either side die because of her.
Random Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-25, 07:29   Link #1620
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Wanderer View Post
Actually, I would say yes, she would. Because the end result is what she wanted (no more Rose). She simply didn't get to destroy it herself. Gruelle won, Grunhilde lost. Marika did what she did to save lives, because the princesses were getting worked up enough that a fight would have been almost inevitable had they not been stopped somehow. And I am quite confident that Gruelle would not have been happy having people on either side die because of her.
...this reads exactly like a Star Trek episode's resolution.

Tags
light novel adaptation, science fiction, seinen, yuri