Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2013-06-19, 03:54   Link #1501
Slayerx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
From another forum:
That actually is a good point...
When it comes to other forms of media it was always the consumers themselves who decided when it was time to go digital. The industry gave us access to both physical media and digital and consumers were the ones to decide which was more convenient. MS however is trying to FORCE the change; they are trying to effectively cripple physical media by taking away any advantage they might have had and make it pointless to use it so that people will just go digital. People like having choices; they like being able to choose how to consumer their media, to choose where they can play their consoles, to choose what they can do with their games, to choose where or not they want extra peripherals... Xbox one doesn't give them a choice and that's what's ultimately ticking people off. No choices, just restrictions. All that good stuff that the Xbox one can do; All of it can either be done without the restrictions, or they could be made optional so we don't have to deal with the restrictions if we don't want too
Old 2013-06-19, 04:43   Link #1502
kenjiharima
Mizore-chan

The problem with something digital you cannot re-sell or let a friend borrow it and when you do re-sell/lend it, it's piracy.

That's why I do not believe in the digital market. We still need a tangible copy that is our own.
Old 2013-06-19, 05:09   Link #1503
Jazzrat
Bearly Legal

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
Sony has way more internal development teams to begin with, so their drought should be less of a factor to begin with.
Not really considering the state that the Vita is at right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solace View Post
Hey, every advantage counts. And there's no telling if they'll be games people want. But there will be a drought, no bones about it. We both agree Sony is better prepared to handle it.
Indies are also great sector for introducing creative new mechanics which a lot of big AAA titles can't afford to risk due to their budgets. Microsoft needs to step up in this regards as well despite not having any presence in the handheld market but they are moving onto tablets which roughly equivalent.
Old 2013-06-19, 05:46   Link #1504
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayerx View Post
That actually is a good point...
When it comes to other forms of media it was always the consumers themselves who decided when it was time to go digital. The industry gave us access to both physical media and digital and consumers were the ones to decide which was more convenient. MS however is trying to FORCE the change; they are trying to effectively cripple physical media by taking away any advantage they might have had and make it pointless to use it so that people will just go digital. People like having choices; they like being able to choose how to consumer their media, to choose where they can play their consoles, to choose what they can do with their games, to choose where or not they want extra peripherals... Xbox one doesn't give them a choice and that's what's ultimately ticking people off. No choices, just restrictions. All that good stuff that the Xbox one can do; All of it can either be done without the restrictions, or they could be made optional so we don't have to deal with the restrictions if we don't want too
MS got ahead of themselves. They couldn't wait to rip off their customers when things go full digital, and as such they decided to just go full digital before it is truly practical.

You know when people turn to full digital voluntarily? They do it when they were better off that way. The reason we are NOT at the full digital era for gaming, is because the infrastructure just isn't there yet.

If MS could bundle in guaranteed internet with every console, it would not be an issue. But no.

It is telling that MS had to lie to themselves. On their own site they say "Every Xbox owner has broadband internet". This is almost like self-brainwashing. They are trying to imagine they are on a different planet from real life, where their Xbox1 wouldn't fail to function for most potential customers.
Old 2013-06-19, 07:03   Link #1505
Vajra
So Like A Rose

Xbone will be the next Sega Saturn/Dreamcast, just wait.
Vajra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 07:12   Link #1506
defki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzrat View Post
Not really considering the state that the Vita is at right now.
Lol. What has the Vita to do with anything? Sony's studios don't give a shit about the Vita.

Man I still can't believe that people question Sony's output considering the line up the PS3 has this year.
defki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 08:40   Link #1507
Urzu 7
Juanita/Kiteless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phirk View Post
Xbone will be the next Sega Saturn/Dreamcast, just wait.
Wii U might end up the next Sega Saturn. Once some Nintendo killer apps hit the system and a price drop occurs, the Wii U should start selling better. I myself plan to get one this year due to some exclusives it has or will have by the end of the year. Really, I hope to see Wii U sell at least 20 million units. GameCube sold something like 22 million or 23 million units and I hope to see Wii U reach 20 million units sold or a bit more. And that is a realistic expectation, and I wouldn't expect more than that. I doubt Wii U can reach 30 million units sold.
Old 2013-06-19, 08:54   Link #1508
GDB

WiiU is more like the Dreamcast. Good system, good games, but bad timing and its schtick isn't grabbing people like they thought it would. Not as strong as the competitors. Sounds exactly like the Dreamcast.

The bone is more like the Virtual Boy. Pushing progress far beyond where it should be just to just to force it there, gives people headaches, does what no one asked for, and ultimately all you see is red.
GDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 09:50   Link #1509
Nightengale
~Night of Gales~
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vigo View Post
Lol. What has the Vita to do with anything? Sony's studios don't give a shit about the Vita.
And it's better that way, as painful the truth may be.

Honestly? They're better off taking any money reserved for Vita development, go to Capcom/SE and beg them for a Monster Hunter Vita and Dragon Quest Vita.

I'd love to say Pokemon, but they'll never get that no matter how much money they throw to Nintendo.

The sleeping lion shall awaken beyond the depths of time, crossing ten billion lights, come to Terra.
Nightengale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 10:34   Link #1510
GDB

They pissed Capcom off really bad from what I hear, hence the more recent MH games being on the 3DS.
Old 2013-06-19, 10:55   Link #1511
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
They pissed Capcom off really bad from what I hear, hence the more recent MH games being on the 3DS.
How did they piss them off?
Old 2013-06-19, 14:13   Link #1512
GDB

Something to do with the online servers Sony had not being able to handle what Capcom wanted them to do (something with ad-hoc servers), and refusing to make alterations. Nintendo did, so Capcom went to them. From my understanding, they're staying on Nintendo for at least another few years due to contract reasons.
Old 2013-06-19, 15:11   Link #1513
Edge Meltdown
AxS HxM TxA RxS JxK HxM

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mi...ies.453123825/

lol this is good... but too late for that :P

"Nothing is true, Everything is Permitted" - Altaïr Ibn-La'Ahad
Edge Meltdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 15:21   Link #1514
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Meltdown View Post
http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/mi...ies.453123825/

lol this is good... but too late for that :P
Casual gamers will not care about all these things. Only at the time of purchase.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 15:41   Link #1515
GDB

Thread's been deleted, though I managed to read page 1 before it was. Doubt it was true anyway, and if it is an actual press release will come out for it.
Old 2013-06-19, 15:46   Link #1516
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Thread's been deleted, though I managed to read page 1 before it was. Doubt it was true anyway, and if it is an actual press release will come out for it.
What was it about?
Old 2013-06-19, 15:50   Link #1517
Dirty_Harry

Quote:
http://www.giantbomb.com/articles/mi...-dr/1100-4673/
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-19, 15:53   Link #1518
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update
Old 2013-06-19, 15:56   Link #1519
4Tran

It's basically confirmed now. Microsoft has walked back on their previous policies.

The page is getting hammered, so for those who can't read it:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbox.com
Last week at E3, the excitement, creativity and future of our industry was on display for a global audience.

For us, the future comes in the form of Xbox One, a system designed to be the best place to play games this year and for many years to come. As is our heritage with Xbox, we designed a system that could take full advantage of advances in technology in order to deliver a breakthrough in game play and entertainment. We imagined a new set of benefits such as easier roaming, family sharing, and new ways to try and buy games. We believe in the benefits of a connected, digital future.

Since unveiling our plans for Xbox One, my team and I have heard directly from many of you, read your comments and listened to your feedback. I would like to take the opportunity today to thank you for your assistance in helping us to reshape the future of Xbox One.

You told us how much you loved the flexibility you have today with games delivered on disc. The ability to lend, share, and resell these games at your discretion is of incredible importance to you. Also important to you is the freedom to play offline, for any length of time, anywhere in the world.

So, today I am announcing the following changes to Xbox One and how you can play, share, lend, and resell your games exactly as you do today on Xbox 360. Here is what that means:

•An internet connection will not be required to play offline Xbox One games – After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One, you can play any disc based game without ever connecting online again. There is no 24 hour connection requirement and you can take your Xbox One anywhere you want and play your games, just like on Xbox 360.

•Trade-in, lend, resell, gift, and rent disc based games just like you do today – There will be no limitations to using and sharing games, it will work just as it does today on Xbox 360.

In addition to buying a disc from a retailer, you can also download games from Xbox Live on day of release. If you choose to download your games, you will be able to play them offline just like you do today. Xbox One games will be playable on any Xbox One console -- there will be no regional restrictions.

These changes will impact some of the scenarios we previously announced for Xbox One. The sharing of games will work as it does today, you will simply share the disc. Downloaded titles cannot be shared or resold. Also, similar to today, playing disc based games will require that the disc be in the tray.

We appreciate your passion, support and willingness to challenge the assumptions of digital licensing and connectivity. While we believe that the majority of people will play games online and access the cloud for both games and entertainment, we will give consumers the choice of both physical and digital content. We have listened and we have heard loud and clear from your feedback that you want the best of both worlds.

Thank you again for your candid feedback. Our team remains committed to listening, taking feedback and delivering a great product for you later this year.
I can't recall the last time this happened, but I'm really glad that it did. The Xbone is still going to get hammered though.
Old 2013-06-19, 15:58   Link #1520
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Makes me wonder. They must have freaked out, talked to the publishers who freaked out too, and decided all the DRM contracts should be cancelled for the sake of the console's survival.

Still, we will see how the changes affect the Xbox1 hardware stability. Last minute changes means last minute coding.